1st overall picks vs the field

dingleberryswitzer

Yeah I left Luka off the #3s.  I don't see him pushing out prime Harden, MJ, Carmelo or Penny Hardaway.  Yet.  

I like prime Ray Allen and Vince Carter over Trae Young at this point. Maybe not in a year.  De'Aaron Fox was also a #5 pick. 

I would rank like this... 

#3 > #2 > #5 > #13 > #6 > #7 > #4 

The #3s are just too loaded. Literally everyone on that team can score.  

I like the #2s next. They are loaded with winners and great defenders (3 DPoYs spanning front and backcourt plus ). Excellent distributors (Isiah averaged 13.9 apg!). Great scoring, but with some real junkyard dogs.  I would love to watch that team.

The #5s would be sick with Barkley and Garnett. Pippen and Wade would function a lot like Pippen / Jordan. And then Ray Allen bombing away. Maybe this team should be higher.

I think the #13s will continue to climb the ranks as Mitchell, Booker and LaVine keep improving.  Tough to decide between the #13s and the #6s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Yeah I left Luka off the #3s.  I don't see him pushing out prime Harden, MJ, Carmelo or Penny Hardaway.

Then - as was famously once said - have him play center.

Penny and Melo? No disrespect to those guys but they were never as good as Luka is right now. 

And on Trae - RayRay and Vince are not point guards. That team needs a floor general. Like I said, you could have Wade do that but why not put Trae out there? He's a passing machine. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, ztejas said:

Then - as was famously once said - have him play center.

Penny and Melo? No disrespect to those guys but they were never as good as Luka is right now. 

And on Trae - RayRay and Vince are not point guards. That team needs a floor general. Like I said, you could have Wade do that but why not put Trae out there? He's a passing machine. 

The game was different back then.  Mad respect for Luka as he may be on a top ten trajectory, but Penny pre-injuries was Kobe good.  Carmelo can kiss my ass.  I'd leave him off my team.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

The game was different back then.  Mad respect for Luka as he may be on a top ten trajectory, but Penny pre-injuries was Kobe good.  Carmelo can kiss my ass.  I'd leave him off my team.

Penny never broke 22 pts/gm. Don't know that that particularly resembles Kobe. If we're taking #3 picks from the 90's with injury shortened careers who had stints in Orlando and Phoenix, give me Grant Hill over Penny every day of the week.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Penny never broke 22 pts/gm. Don't know that that particularly resembles Kobe. If we're taking #3 picks from the 90's with injury shortened careers who had stints in Orlando and Phoenix, give me Grant Hill over Penny every day of the week.

Noted.  But he was first team all

nba his second and third year.  Got hurt at some point.  I thought his trajectory could’ve been that level

• Hook 'Em 1