PIG - Nic Cage

Don Johnson

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He has legit acting chops.  He's just blew all his money and didn't pay taxes.  He can't afford to sit around and select only good roles so he pumps out as much shit as possible for paychecks.

Man it is hard to agree with this.  He has been in a couple of roles that I thought he was really good.  But he has been in about 20 roles where I literally want to leave the theater every time he comes on the screen because his acting is so stiff and unbelievable.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Man it is hard to agree with this.  He has been in a couple of roles that I thought he was really good.  But he has been in about 20 roles where I literally want to leave the theater every time he comes on the screen because his acting is so stiff and unbelievable.  

We probably aren't really that far apart.  He's pumped out so much garbage that looking at his IMDB page 90% of his recent movies don't even go to the theatres.  But he's got enough legit performances that doesn't make winning the Academy Award look like a fluke.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

We probably aren't really that far apart.  He's pumped out so much garbage that looking at his IMDB page 90% of his recent movies don't even go to the theatres.  But he's got enough legit performances that doesn't make winning the Academy Award look like a fluke.

He was outstanding in Valley Girl and that's really all that matters.

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Being rated R, there is probably a bit of killing.

Or some nude scenes where we learn his true attachment to the pig.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He has legit acting chops.

A clause in his contract gives him a lifetime supply of pork chops.

• Haha 1

Did any of y’all catch Willy’s Wonderland? It came out on a couple streaming platforms in February. Cage plays a quiet loner who gets stranded at an old haunted family entertainment center (like Chuck E. Cheese) and battles the possessed animatronics. Cage yells, screams and grunts occasionally throughout the movie, but he doesn’t say one word the entire time. 

My 12-year-old boy loved it and now he wants to watch Pig.

Edited by Foggy Notion

Honestly, this looks far more compelling and hopeful to be decent than any movie he's done in the past couple of decades. I don't think he has even been trying to be in a non-shitty movie, as long as there was a check involved. I'm still not in, but I could get interested after some good reviews from previously tested guinea pigs.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He has legit acting chops.  He's just blew all his money and didn't pay taxes.  He can't afford to sit around and select only good roles so he pumps out as much shit as possible for paychecks.

The tax comment made me go down a Nic Cage rabbit hole. I had absolutely no idea he was part of the Coppola clan. Is this common knowledge?

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The tax comment made me go down a Nic Cage rabbit hole. I had absolutely no idea he was part of the Coppola clan. Is this common knowledge?

Yeah, he supposedly took on the name Cage so he could "make his own way" but not until he appeared in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and then appeared in a movie his uncle Francis was making (Rumble Fish).

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Yeah, he supposedly took on the name Cage so he could "make his own way" but not until he appeared in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and then appeared in a movie his uncle Francis was making (Rumble Fish).

Somehow I knew Jason Schwarzman was in the family but not cage. Weird.

in any event, I will pay to see this movie in theaters in hopes that it is either spectacularly good or, even better, spectacularly bad.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:42 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

On 6/19/2021 at 11:57 AM, BornOrange said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

his acting is so stiff

We are all entitled to our own opinion, but I’ve never considered NC as “stiff.” Unhinged, schizophrenic, ill-advised (Peggy Sue), flamboyant, risk taking, dumb, over-the-top. I guess he will make the choice to seem sedated on occasion, so I guess the above poster does have a point for certain roles. 

I wonder if spending time with Cage would be a blast or so fucking weird it becomes uncomfortable.

34 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

We are all entitled to our own opinion, but I’ve never considered NC as “stiff.” Unhinged, schizophrenic, ill-advised (Peggy Sue), flamboyant, risk taking, dumb, over-the-top. I guess he will make the choice to seem sedated on occasion, so I guess the above poster does have a point for certain roles. 

I wonder if spending time with Cage would be a blast or so fucking weird it becomes uncomfortable.

why not both.gif  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

He's had one of the most interesting, weird, unexpected movie careers of anyone I can think of.

He went from sort of underrated, serious actor/indie-movie guy (Raising Arizona, Valley Girl, Peggy Sue got Married, Moonstruck, Leaving Las Vegas), to unexpectedly and all-of-a-sudden becoming one of the biggest action stars in the world (The Rock, Face/Off, Con Air), to a guy who churns out forgettable/straight-to-video crap for like 20 years.

To make it even odder, that indie-movie-serious-actor guy actually popped up and made Adaptation and Matchstick Men back-to-back in 2002-03 in the middle of his "action star" run.  I remember at the time being excited that he was doing stuff like that again, but he never really tried again after that. Too bad because both of those movies are great and he's great in them.

Wild at Heart

Nic Cage, Laura Dern and a menagerie of excellent actors directed by David Lynch

I'll watch it every time it appears on any screen

Pretty good Elvis channeling and Dern channeling as well

Worth watching if only to see Willem Dafoe's bizarro character

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

He's had one of the most interesting, weird, unexpected movie careers of anyone I can think of.

He went from sort of underrated, serious actor/indie-movie guy (Raising Arizona, Valley Girl, Peggy Sue got Married, Moonstruck, Leaving Las Vegas), to unexpectedly and all-of-a-sudden becoming one of the biggest action stars in the world (The Rock, Face/Off, Con Air), to a guy who churns out forgettable/straight-to-video crap for like 20 years.

To make it even odder, that indie-movie-serious-actor guy actually popped up and made Adaptation and Matchstick Men back-to-back in 2002-03 in the middle of his "action star" run.  I remember at the time being excited that he was doing stuff like that again, but he never really tried again after that. Too bad because both of those movies are great and he's great in them.

Imagine how weird it would have gotten if Superman Lives had been made?