Catholic Bishops vote to deny Biden and liberals communion

Orale

Donkeycigars--------Look at two the biggest Catholic nations in Europe...Italy and Spain.  ~70% Catholic, each.  Abortion legal in both nations for 40 years into the second trimester.  And it's widely available and free.  I think Spain still has some parental requirements if you're under 16, but that's about it.  And those are among the most Catholic influenced nations, like they don't even really pretend to do the whole separation of Church & State thing.

Edited by Lobo

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Donkeycigars--------Look at two the biggest Catholic nations in Europe...Italy and Spain.  ~70% Catholic, each.  Abortion legal in both nations for 40 years into the second trimester.  And it's widely available and free.  I think Spain still has some parental requirements if you're under 16, but that's about it.  And those are among the most Catholic influenced nations, like they don't even really pretend to do the whole separation of Church & State thing.

I found this to be an interesting article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/world/europe/pope-abortion-sick-fetus.html

ROME — Pope Francis said Saturday that abortion was always unacceptable, regardless of whether a fetus is fatally ill or has pathological disorders. He also urged doctors to help women bring to term even pregnancies likely to end in the death of a child at birth or soon after.

“Is it legitimate to take out a human life to solve a problem?” Francis asked attendees at a Vatican conference on the issue, repeating one of his most contentious remarks on the issue. “Is it permissible to contract a hitman to solve a problem?”

In the pope’s backyard, Italy, where abortion was illegal until 1978, conservatives in the government have blamed the country’s dangerously low birthrate on abortion and some cities under conservative leadership have symbolically declared themselves “pro-life.”

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 2

Abortion in the Catholic Church has a long history of changing beliefs of when it is okay, when it isn’t or if it’s worthy of excommunication.There are multiple saints who have one of their miracles listed as performed abortions. Using any kind of contraception/condoms/birth control is going against Catholic teaching. 

• Like 1

Just now, StassneyHorn said:

Abortion in the Catholic Church has a long history of changing beliefs of when it is okay, when it isn’t or if it’s worthy of excommunication.There are multiple saints who have one of their miracles listed as performed abortions. Using any kind of contraception/condoms/birth control is going against Catholic teaching. 

Would you mind shooting some documentation or links my way? I ask not to be a jerk or calling you a liar, it's just I did some googling recently and found a pretty consistent messaging across popes and over the years stating abortions are not okay.

And really to bring back the issue back to focus; as it pertains to a world leader and their flouting the beliefs of an organization, I would think there would be more responsibility and expectation to be an upstanding member due to the sheer visibility and influence, as opposed to an average Irish guy in Boston or whatever, to follow the rules and parrot the corporate message. So it makes complete sense that the Catholic machine would seek to protect their brand/image in this issue and either force Biden to kowtow or to leave the faith or whatever.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I know that "I could write everything I know about this topic on my cock with a mop but I'm going to post a ton about it anyway" is Surly standard operating procedure but TahoeDonkey is doing a hell of a job of it right now.

I know lots of "pithy, dismissive one liners and faux-exasperation when someone on your team isn't getting the victimization points we feel is deserved and can't actually explain why" is the Surly CR standard operating procedure, but ContinentalDennison is doing a bang up job of it right now!

Did I do that right?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, DonkeyCigars said:

I know lots of "pithy, dismissive one liners and faux-exasperation when someone on your team isn't getting the victimization points we feel is deserved" is the Surly CR standard operating procedure, but ContinentalDennison is doing a bang up job of it right now!

Did I do that right?

Gross.  Dennison is even more of a beating than you are.

8 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I know that "I could write everything I know about this topic on my cock with a mop but I'm going to post a ton about it anyway" is Surly standard operating procedure but TahoeDonkey is doing a hell of a job of it right now.

Is it Tahoe? That would make sense. I guess he upgraded his game from trying to start conversations about black people being genetically inferior every day.

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Is it Tahoe? That would make sense. I guess he upgraded his game from trying to start conversations about black people being genetically inferior every day.

While I have owned a Tahoe in recent years, I hate to disappoint you. It's just me, ole DonkeyCigars. Friend to all, with never a mean word to say to anyone.

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

I don't think so.  He just plays the same "Aw shucks, I'm just a simple guy" game.  If he starts talking about the dogcatcher election in Bugtussle, AL I'll start getting suspicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Continental Op said:

I don't think so.  He just plays the same "Aw shucks, I'm just a simple guy" game.  If he starts talking about the dogcatcher election in Bugtussle, AL I'll start getting suspicious.

Wait, is there something wrong with just being a simple, average guy? I don't understand the hate that being congenial gets around here. Maybe it's tied to the eponym of this site which dictates the culture that power and strength comes from putting an edge in your voice.

• Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I give Biden nominal credit for paying lip service to some progressive ideas but he clearly has little interest in delivering on his “platform”.  

- No significant student debt cancellation yet despite campaign promises. 

- Nothing on guns 

- infrastructure week is every week again for some reason, except for real now. 

-Public option on healthcare?  LMAO who even remembers this? 

- Nothing is going to get done on immigration.

- Trump’s tax cuts are here to stay it appears despite Biden saying he’d undo them. 

- Outmaneuvered by McConnell at every turn with minimal pushback, everyone saw it coming and the obvious ways to avoid it.

- Climate change effort will most certainly be nowhere close to enough. 

- How about protecting voting rights? Good job getting Manchin to water down the bill to get zero GOP votes again. 

- $15 minimum wage? He let the senate parliamentarian line item veto that out of the recovery bill. No pushback. 

- How’s the DOJ going?  

- How about Louis DeJoy? He still have a job at the post office? 

- Federalist Society Christopher Wray kept on as head of FBI despite the insurrection under his watch. 

- $2000 became $1400 unless you made 80k in 2019, then it became zero. 

- Instead of looking for ways to uplift people out of poverty, he’s decided to be “tough on crime” Joe Biden this week. Very cool.

- Had summit with Putin for no goddamn reason

- D.C. and Puerto Rico aren’t going to become states under Biden

- The courts are not going to be expanded 

-Breyer isn’t going to retire and there’s probably no White House effort to lobby him 

OKAY, now the good:

- Pandemic response has been exceptional

- pulling out of Afghanistan 

- Juneteenth made federal holiday 

Biden advocated for neither of these last two during the campaign but a win is a win.

Dude sold himself as a moderate that could get things done because he knew how the Senate worked and said Republicans would have epiphany once Trump was gone.  (Everyone knew this was delusional when he said it too). 

Joe Biden, much better than Trump but still pretty awful. 

DID I MENTION DEMOCRATS CONTROL HOUSE,SENATE, and WHITE HOUSE?

He has to have something to do in the 3.5 years he has left in his term. It’s important to note that Biden is not a king. He is as effective as his political help allows. They’ve provided the platform. Now they must do as LBJ suggested. They must make him do it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Would you mind shooting some documentation or links my way? I ask not to be a jerk or calling you a liar, it's just I did some googling recently and found a pretty consistent messaging across popes and over the years stating abortions are not okay.

Then you didn’t actually look. 

Try these buzzwords on the Google: Pope Sixtus Pope Gregory  Pope Pius 

Please report back with 3 questions, each a paragraph long.

EDIT- removing Roman numerals from popes so you have to actually look

SECOND EDIT: There’s quite literally a wiki on Catholic Church and Abortion that name drops all three of the above

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Then you didn’t actually look. 

Try these buzzwords on the Google: Pope Sixtus Pope Gregory  Pope Pius 

Please report back with 3 questions, each a paragraph long.

EDIT- removing Roman numerals from popes so you have to actually look

"Sixtus extended the penalty of excommunication relating to the Roman Catholic Church's teaching on contraception and abortion."

"In 1588, Pope Sixtus V tried to change that. He issued a papal bull officially classifying abortion, regardless of the stage of fetal development, as homicide."

and

"In the 1869 document Apostolicae Sedis, Pope Pius IX declared the penalty of excommunication for abortions at any stage of pregnancy."

and

Pope Gregory XIV made the punishment for early abortion less severe. He believed that Sixtus V had made punishment for abortion too harsh and was even contradictory to the penitential thought and theological view of ensoulment. In his Sedes Apostolicae in 1591, he claimed that only homicide or the abortion of an animated fetus was punishable by excommunication, implementing the Aristotelian distinction between an “animated” and “unanimated” fetus. He also employed the “quickening” test, which equated the beginning of life with the time of first fetal movement. To Pope Gregory XIV quickening determined when a fetus was considered animated. Despite his leniency on punishment for abortion, the new pope still considered the procuring of an abortion in the early stages of gestation as a grave sin.

Am I missing where abortion used to be okay? Seems like the degrees of punishment were tweaked and levers were pulled and pushed, but the general decree that abortion is a grave sin and immoral rises above all the politics and noise.

18 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He has to have something to do in the 3.5 years he has left in his term. It’s important to note that Biden is not a king. He is as effective as his political help allows. They’ve provided the platform. Now they must do as LBJ suggested. They must make him do it.

Did you miss this part? 

DID I MENTION DEMOCRATS CONTROL HOUSE,SENATE, and WHITE HOUSE?

14 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The window is so narrow to get shit done and the most lucrative time for Biden has already passed.  We’re going to get one reconciliation bill centered around infrastructure (that’s going to be watered down) and then it’s an election year when nothing gets done.  If Dems can’t maintain control of both the House and Senate in midterms, Biden’s agenda is toast.  

Biden isn’t a king but he can absolutely get away with a whole lot.  Trump was banning Muslims and stealing money from the military to fund his border wall...Is it to much to ask for Biden to sell an aircraft carrier to end homelessness? 

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Am I missing where abortion used to be okay? Seems like the degrees of punishment were tweaked and levers were pulled and pushed, but the general decree that abortion is a grave sin and immoral rises above all the politics and noise.

Yea you are missing where they come up with arbitrary timelines on when it’s forgivable and when it isn’t, and when it’s serious enough to be kicked out of the church. Everyone thinks it’s bad, that’s an easy hurdle to clear and not one that I proposed.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The window is so narrow to get shit done and the most lucrative time for Biden has already passed.  We’re going to get one reconciliation bill centered around infrastructure (that’s going to be watered down) and then it’s an election year when nothing gets done.  If Dems can’t maintain control of both the House and Senate in midterms, Biden’s agenda is toast.  

Biden isn’t a king but he can absolutely get away with a whole lot.  Trump was banning Muslims and stealing money from the military to fund his border wall...Is it to much to ask for Biden to sell an aircraft carrier to end homelessness? 

That’s certainly one way of looking at it. I think we’ll get more than that done before his term is up. When he leaves office, we will have made significant advancements in the areas of voter rights, infrastructure, child care, student loan relief, family leave, the restoration of democratic norms and principles, to name a few.

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Yea you are missing where they come up with arbitrary timelines on when it’s forgivable and when it isn’t, and when it’s serious enough to be kicked out of the church. Everyone thinks it’s bad, that’s an easy hurdle to clear and not one that I proposed.

But what this thread presupposes is that Biden doesn’t think it’s bad (e.g. immoral and wrong and a grave sin”, unlike “everyone” (as it pertains to Catholics).

47 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Using any kind of contraception/condoms/birth control is going against Catholic teaching. 

Missouri is seeking to ban birth coverage under Medicaid. I seem to be remember something about all sin being equally bad. So, will Missouri bishops exclude Catholic opponents of the birth control ban from communion?

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

But what this thread presupposes is that Biden doesn’t think it’s bad (e.g. immoral and wrong and a grave sin”, unlike “everyone” (as it pertains to Catholics).

Yep. One should remember Catholics are big on following one’s conscience.

That was a really clumsy way of trying to parallel Owen's character movie.  Imma stop you right here before you call him Coltrane and claim it's just like the movie.

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think we must be alike in that regard. Brother?

Uh, no. You are talking out your ass in this thread. You keep asking why a Catholic would remain a Catholic when they could find a Protestant church as an alternative while falsely insisting that Biden is in fundamental disagreement with the teaching of the Church.

1. For a Roman Catholic you cannot just become a Protestant. Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus!

2. Primacy of conscience provides wiggle room for the concept of "I'm personally against abortion but wouldn't outlaw it."

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Uh, no. You are talking out your ass in this thread. You keep asking why a Catholic would remain a Catholic when they could find a Protestant church as an alternative while falsely insisting that Biden is in fundamental disagreement with the teaching of the Church.

1. For a Roman Catholic you cannot just become a Protestant. Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus!

2. Primacy of conscience provides wiggle room for the concept of "I'm personally against abortion but wouldn't outlaw it."

1. I don't even know that becoming a Protestant is the right answer, but there are a multitude of progressive, Christ-based churches that will allow you to dabble in whatever cultural relativism will suit your fancy.

2. Do we have any evidence that Biden, as a Democrat, is personally against abortion but sees it as a bridge too far politically? If you think of abortion as the Catholic church wants you to think of it, as murder (e.g. would you hire a hitman? - Pope Francis), you can make some inferences based on behavior, I think.

Regardless, you seem like you have spent a lot of time in study of theology or history of theology or whatever-- do you care to opine on why a Catholic would remain a Catholic instead of going to an alternative and more welcoming religion to their beliefs?

Also, why can't a Roman Catholic just become a Protestant? The logic would seem to be self-sustaining and circular in that "I used to think I was a Christian and was a Catholic, boy is my face red-- I was duped and not a real Christian at all! Now I'm a Protestant and both get to have progressive cultural views and be a Christian, glad I saw the light!"

I mean this is the same argument Brisket and other reformed Republicans have been giving in just the past few days on how they used to be Republicans but now see the light as non-Republicans.

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Did I? If so, I apologize-- I thought I was prescriptive about only one belief-- the one I named as you confirmed.

Then are they Catholics, really? By self-identification? I guess that is the crux of my question and point-- why do these people want to be considered and identify as Catholics when a) they are in conflict with a big piece of the Catholic belief on human life (seems like a pretty important topic) and there are many, many other faith organizations to consider and identify with that would actually fit in with your actual beliefs. Do people just like to be a part of something with history and tradition? Does it make them feel validated? Is it the previously asked inertia and it being difficult to break away from what your family indoctrinated you with as a child with your pre-pubescent psychology and brain?

Am I wrong in understanding the Catholic church as a centralized system of management? Are there franchises or otherwise federated and independent dues paying child systems out there that I don't know about?

Or does all the dogma and doctrine roll down hill, cascading through the various layers of management where, for the big rocks of major belief positions, everyone is supposed to sing off the same sheet of music. Literally and figuratively (isn't there a book published from Vatican City that goes out to every church with the same message/songs to be sung by date, in a formula?).

I'm not opposed to being wrong and would prefer to make a fool of myself in front of you guys and not in real life when I ask people these questions at the next event or party I go to, but judging from responses either everyone else is just as confused or it's too complicated and so it's easier just to dismiss and not think about it.

You do know that there are 20 different orders in catholicism,  yes? 

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Regardless, you seem like you have spent a lot of time in study of theology or history of theology or whatever-- do you care to opine on why a Catholic would remain a Catholic instead of going to an alternative and more welcoming religion to their beliefs?

Also, why can't a Roman Catholic just become a Protestant? The logic would seem to be self-sustaining and circular in that "I used to think I was a Christian and was a Catholic, boy is my face red-- I was duped and not a real Christian at all! Now I'm a Protestant and both get to have progressive cultural views and be a Christian, glad I saw the light!"

I mean this is the same argument Brisket and other reformed Republicans have been giving in just the past few days on how they used to be Republicans but now see the light as non-Republicans.

I answered this already. Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus!

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

I answered this already. Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus!

Okay but how is this example of a decreed dogma from the leaders of the Catholic Church any more or less infallible than the one saying don’t participate or advocate in abortion because it’s akin to murder and it’s a grave and immoral sin?

Either all the sacred cows are sacred or none are and once you start trying to season for the tastes and trends of the times, you have broken the mysticism and it feels all very political and gross, which is what all the anti-religion and atheists were saying.

The beauty of things that are true is that truth is timeless.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Okay but how is this example of a decreed dogma from the leaders of the Catholic Church any more or less infallible than the one saying don’t participate or advocate in abortion because it’s akin to murder and it’s a grave and immoral sin?

Either all the sacred cows are sacred or none are and once you start trying to season for the tastes and trends of the times, you have broken the mysticism and it feels all very political and gross, which is what all the anti-religion and atheists were saying.

The beauty of things that are true is that truth is timeless.

I already pointed all this out. Are you being intentionally dense?

Narrator: it's his shtick.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

I already pointed all this out. Are you being intentionally dense?

Narrator: it's his shtick.

Not intentionally, sorry for getting lost. Theology and Catholicism is not my area of expertise. Thanks for attempting to level with me at least in good faith, even if ultimately I wasn’t able to keep up.

• Fuck You 1

This is why you are so full of shit, DC. You do this all this time: "Aw gee, I'm just a dumb ol' conservative who claims to be rational but I never have to change my mind about anything even when I'm thoroughly educated on something because I can just claim it's all above my head"

I do not believe you are as stupid as you act. You just don't actually want to change your mind or challenge your beliefs about anything. 

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Human beings will eventually move past religion, and that will be a good thing.

IMO It’s when society organizes around or against a religion that it becomes problematic, perhaps a reason some of the founders were big on the separation of Church and State. 

Another issue is the major religions have constantly been used to organize societies/governments and I have a hard time believing Jesus or Muhammad would be happy with how it’s gone over the last few thousand years.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Wait, is there something wrong with just being a simple, average guy? I don't understand the hate that being congenial gets around here. Maybe it's tied to the eponym of this site which dictates the culture that power and strength comes from putting an edge in your voice.

No it's because you come across as a condescending cunt, with a very punchable face. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trauma babe said:

This is why you are so full of shit, DC. You do this all this time: "Aw gee, I'm just a dumb ol' conservative who claims to be rational but I never have to change my mind about anything even when I'm thoroughly educated on something because I can just claim it's all above my head"

I do not believe you are as stupid as you act. You just don't actually want to change your mind or challenge your beliefs about anything. 

First of all, if you call anything that has happened in the last page attempts to "thoroughly educate" then our conceptions of what education means is completely different. I've definitely been given the stiff arm on anything outside of a pithy dismissal and one liners.

Secondly, I change my mind about lots of things and feel it's healthy to continue to stress test ideas and beliefs.

In this specific case, from what I know of you (which is pretty near universal derision of anything I've ever said without investment of any real substance, much like the "thorough education" you reference) I can't imagine you to be pro-Catholic or pro-any hierarchal religion or system of belief that would cook up a strategic go-to market in the vaults of their billions of dollars amassed by raiding civilization over the course of human history, and having these same patriarchal (quite literally) leaders tell women what to do with their bodies.

So I'd like to hear your opinion on why someone who doesn't believe abortion is murder and would advocate and influence against that idea, why would they choose to self-identify as a Catholic despite having a myriad of options that are more progressive but still check the box with respect to Jesus and the teaching of his death for our sins?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Can I remind folks that on another thread DonkeyCigars declared Kingwood is a great place to live?

I enjoyed the acre lot and the golf courses. What's so wrong with Kingwood? I liked it better than South Austin where I've also lived (assuming South Austin is a transformative place for you and informs your identity-- literally on this site, at least).

Edited by DonkeyCigars

What do you think happens in a Catholic Church service? We don’t stand sit and kneel while listening to some Hannity-esque rant on ills of social progressivism. The topic of abortion doesn’t come up much at all in a priest’s homily cause he’s largely giving his own 10-15 minute op-Ed on the three readings from before and how it relates to charity, forgiveness, social justice, love, and any other libcuck stuff.

9 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

What do you think happens in a Catholic Church service? We don’t stand sit and kneel while listening to some Hannity-esque rant on ills of social progressivism. The topic of abortion doesn’t come up much at all in a priest’s homily cause he’s largely giving his own 10-15 minute op-Ed on the three readings from before and how it relates to charity, forgiveness, social justice, love, and any other libcuck stuff.

Oddly enough, the only time I really heard an off the cuff rant about abortion was from a formerly Episcopal priest that converted and was married.  No idea what that has to do with Biden, but since we are going off on tangents on this thread I figured I’d add my personal anecdote.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think a lot of it has to do with the particular parish/parishioners.  Although 80% of the Catholic Mass is the exact same from a parish in San Diego to a parish in Bangor, ME...and the priests aren't really assigned by "you're more progressive, you go to San Francisco, and you're more conservative so you go to Tulsa" type of deal..............I think the priests end up becoming a reflection of their parish/parishioners.  My wife's catholic church is in a fairly 'red' part of Austin, but not overwhelmingly so and it's still Austin and as such...in 15 years of going with her, other than the token "lord hear our prayer for the unborn" every couple of weeks...abortion never comes up even in after-mass conversations.  \

On the flip side of that, my wife's parents Catholic church back in Western Kansas.  Holy shit...it's Introductory Rites-to-Blessing & Dismissal, wall-to-wall coverage of abortion, abortion, and abortion.  They also talk about Jesus, but mostly abortion and what Jesus would think about abortion.  Afterwards, we eat cake and mostly talk about abortion. 

Edited by Lobo