Are we going back to natural grass in the near future?

Goo Punch

Who gives a fuck? People obsess over the dumbest shit. Our last iteration of grass was complete garbage. What we have now is light years better than that worthless shit. 

What's next? Do we all have to stand when we're on defense? Do we need to whoop? 

Stupid shit that people act like is actually important. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Who gives a fuck? People obsess over the dumbest shit. Our last iteration of grass was complete garbage. What we have now is light years better than that worthless shit. 
What's next? Do we all have to stand when we're on defense? Do we need to whoop? 

All of this, but the exact opposite.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

All of this, but the exact opposite.

Everyone gives their last fuck.  Nobody blows this critical shit off at all. Our first iteration of grass was absolute Columbian Gold . What we have now is hardly any good compared to that pure football ideal of a playing surface. 
What's next?  Are we going to stop singing the eyes at the end?  Do we need to have more Taco Bell and Jetpack ads?
Very important shit that Tex Pete acts like is just a messed up order at mcdonalds.

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Everyone gives their last fuck.  Nobody blows this critical shit off at all. Our first iteration of grass was absolute Columbian Gold . What we have now is hardly any good compared to that pure football ideal of a playing surface. 
What's next?  Are we going to stop singing the eyes at the end?  Do we need to have more Taco Bell and Jetpack ads?
Very important shit that Tex Pete acts like is just a messed up order at mcdonalds.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Well

errbody knows. The grass has gotten better and stronger over the years.

47 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So you've literally not said a word about what difference natural grass makes. It's completely irrelevant and it makes no sense why people whine about it.

The last grass we had was always torn up. It was awful. 

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

So you've literally not said a word about what difference natural grass makes. It's completely irrelevant and it makes no sense why people whine about it.

The last grass we had was always torn up. It was awful. 

Torn up grass (mud, as I call it) is still better than plastic.  If you don''t agree I just don't know how to argue with you.  To me it's like saying "you've literally not said a word about what difference there is between Shiner Bock and warm Buckhorn."  

I get that it's not as important as whether we win football games or not but it's not trivial.

I was really hoping that MRSA scare a few years back was going to kill off plastic grass forever.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Torn up grass (mud, as I call it) is still better than plastic.  If you don''t agree I just don't know how to argue with you.  To me it's like saying "you've literally not said a word about what difference there is between Shiner Bock and warm Buckhorn."  

I get that it's not as important as whether we win football games or not but it's not trivial.

I was really hoping that MRSA scare a few years back was going to kill off plastic grass forever.  

Yeah the old piece together field in Houston was a complete piece of shit. Natural grass but they brought it in trays and "stitched" it together. People got hurt. A punter even sued over it lol. They play on artificial now.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Reliant-Stadium-field-injured-Texans-punter-4041200.php

I liked artificial better because it's a bit faster and more consistent, but with enough money you can do a real grass field that is pretty sweet. When it really, really makes a difference is practicing during the day, or day games in the heat. The artificial field holds heat and it just radiates off.

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Because our plastic grass has started to look like shit maybe .....???

IMG_8618.jpg

10 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The Disch with grass for the first time would be great.

I'd settle for Disch-Falk having all artificial but at least dirt for the base cutouts. That artificial, brown shit is stupid.

As noted above, we know we can put actual burnt orange down on grass. What we have now is “the closest we could get” per Deloss. So yes for that reason alone. Also, real grass is better than plastic. This shouldn’t need an explanation.

37 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'd settle for Disch-Falk having all artificial but at least dirt for the base cutouts. That artificial, brown shit is stupid.

Agree on the dirt.  The fake brown shit is turrible. 

Also, from a functional standpoint, I'd love to see us go all grass for baseball just like the big leagues.  Unlike football, I think defense in baseball on turf vs grass is very different.  From experience (i.e., taking my kids out on the field after the Sunday series closer), fielding grounders on the turf at the Disch vs real grass is a night and day difference.  I think it could put our fielders at a disadvantage when they go out on a grass field.  

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Agree on the dirt.  The fake brown shit is turrible. 

Also, from a functional standpoint, I'd love to see us go all grass for baseball just like the big leagues.  Unlike football, I think defense in baseball on turf vs grass is very different.  From experience (i.e., taking my kids out on the field after the Sunday series closer), fielding grounders on the turf at the Disch vs real grass is a night and day difference.  I think it could put our fielders at a disadvantage when they go out on a grass field.  

Wouldn’t it just set the same situation up in reverse?

32 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Wouldn’t it just set the same situation up in reverse?

This is purely anecdotal, but my kids find it much easier to field on the new synthetic field turf vs regular grass, especially at the disch.  It's very spongy and predictable compared to grass.  It seems going from a home park where the surface makes it easier to field to a surface away from home where it's harder to field would put you at more of a disadvantage compared to the reverse.  But I have no data or science to back that up.  

3 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Yeah the old piece together field in Houston was a complete piece of shit. Natural grass but they brought it in trays and "stitched" it together. People got hurt. A punter even sued over it lol. They play on artificial now.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Reliant-Stadium-field-injured-Texans-punter-4041200.php

I liked artificial better because it's a bit faster and more consistent, but with enough money you can do a real grass field that is pretty sweet. When it really, really makes a difference is practicing during the day, or day games in the heat. The artificial field holds heat and it just radiates off.

Don't think it would be the same situation here. There aren't any other games being played on the field other than the Longhorns also reliant had to bring in the trays because it was being maintained somewhere else. 

Irrigation might be more trouble to install than willing to deal with, but I think healthy natural grass can be kept on the field. 

People seem to forget that we switched to field turf for a reason.  The "state of the art" grass turf that we played on in the last half of the 1990's - mid 2000's had a highly engineered drainage system with no detail of safety and durability ignored.  However, the turf turned to mush during rain games and the playing surface became a bit hazardous during those games(not as bad as Missouri's turf - RIP Fozzy Whitaker's knee).  Also, I recall practices by Longhorns in the stadium were limited to preserve the grass, and other uses for the stadium (UIL playoffs) ended up putting stress on the playing field. 

The 1993 Cotton Bowl renovations cost $3m and the consensus a few years later was that $2m of that was the cost to rip out the rug, dig out the concrete to a depth of 48 inches, crown the field with a fresh concrete pour to a height of 12" running from end to end, install a 3"-hour-rainfall-rate drainage system, put down the plumbing for 24 rotor sprinklers, and fill it in with 30 inches of pure blackland prairie.  The turf is Pro Tour Perennial Ryegrass Blend from Forbes Seed and Grain in Junction City, Oregon, that now stands at a thickness of 8 inches, with 3-inch blades above soil.  If you have never walked on it, it feels more like a sponge than earth.  It is so dense that thousands of pounds of beef in the trenches can barely scuff it during the fair park game.  It consumes HUGE amounts of water.  The annual maintenance cost is $2m, in essence, now, for only 1 game a year that matters.

Back in the day when the Dallas Burn played at the Cotton Bowl ('96-'03, '04, first half of '05), the consensus among the entirety of MLS, including players, coaches, and staff from more than 30 countries, was that the Fair Park pitch was the best in the league and easily top 10 worldwide.

Dear CDC: that will be $9.95.

• Like 2

I thought I read somewhere that the new, modern Field Turf is a far cry from the olden days of shitty AstroTurf and was actually a better and more consistent playing surface than real turf.... and that's why practically everyone uses it. 

Aren't OU and TCU the only two stadiums in the conference with real turf at this point?

I think we should put in grass, but let's piss off lots of folks and use a non-organic, GMO-based, gluten-laden, non-sustainable, unethical blend planted by child labor.
As long as it requires twice the amount of water to grow, I'm in!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'd like to see us go to the hybrid turf systems, like Desso GrassMaster that is used in pretty much all major soccer stadiums in Europe as well as by The Packers and The Patriots. You get all the benefits of the drainage and lower water costs of artificial but on a softer and natural surface. I don't think it is a coincidence that it seems we have had to deal with more injuries since we switched to artificial. I think 100% artificial FieldTurf like is in the stadium right now is just a lesser product. Good for when you're on a tight budget and cant afford high maintainance costs, but we have enough money to maintain a quality field.