Are we going back to natural grass in the near future?

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

People seem to forget that we switched to field turf for a reason.  The "state of the art" grass turf that we played on in the last half of the 1990's - mid 2000's had a highly engineered drainage system with no detail of safety and durability ignored.  However, the turf turned to mush during rain games and the playing surface became a bit hazardous during those games(not as bad as Missouri's turf - RIP Fozzy Whitaker's knee).  Also, I recall practices by Longhorns in the stadium were limited to preserve the grass, and other uses for the stadium (UIL playoffs) ended up putting stress on the playing field. 

The grass that was installed in 1996 was awesome. When they lowered the field and put in its replacement, it was dogshit. It wore terribly, despite only being used for Longhorn games. Anyone who thinks that is better than what we currently have is a fucking retard. 

Anyone who thinks it makes any difference if we play on grass as opposed to turf is also. Turf plays faster than grass and is consistent in all conditions. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

The grass that was installed in 1996 was awesome. When they lowered the field and put in its replacement, it was dogshit. It wore terribly, despite only being used for Longhorn games. Anyone who thinks that is better than what we currently have is a fucking retard. 

Anyone who thinks it makes any difference if we play on grass as opposed to turf is also. Turf plays faster than grass and is consistent in all conditions. 

It’s ugly as fuck in both stadiums. The surface has nothing to do with wins or losses, I’ll concede that much. But the excuses for why we switched to Field Turf are all bullshit.

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

It’s ugly as fuck in both stadiums. The surface has nothing to do with wins or losses, I’ll concede that much. But the excuses for why we switched to Field Turf are all bullshit.

Except our last grass was complete shit. It never grew in well and it tore up easily. It was more of an embarrassment than the off-color turf we have. Only a complete fucking moron would advocate for that shit over turf. It was awful  

BTW, I believe the school has officially decided the off-color orange is our official orange now. 

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Except our last grass was complete shit. It never grew in well and it tore up easily. It was more of an embarrassment than the off-color turf we have. Only a complete fucking moron would advocate for that shit over turf. It was awful  

BTW, I believe the school has officially decided the off-color orange is our official orange now. 

So that means having a grass surface is impossible? Obviously it became a mess, doesn’t mean the only option is Field Turf. Texas didn’t like the maintenance, that’s all it boiled down to. 

• Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

So that means having a grass surface is impossible? Obviously it became a mess, doesn’t mean the only option is Field Turf. Texas didn’t like the maintenance, that’s all it boiled down to. 

I'm all for having good grass, but we didn't. Grass for the sake of grass is fucking stupid, but some of you are advocating for it anyway. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, Tex Pete said:

Who gives a fuck? People obsess over the dumbest shit. Our last iteration of grass was complete garbage. What we have now is light years better than that worthless shit. 

What's next? Do we all have to stand when we're on defense? Do we need to whoop? 

Stupid shit that people act like is actually important. 

You've gone down like, two steps below, in my book.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2018 at 6:38 AM, Tex Pete said:

I'm all for having good grass, but we didn't. Grass for the sake of grass is fucking stupid, but some of you are advocating for it anyway. 

It's not complicated.

Plenty of college stadiums have great fields of real turf and have had them for decades.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:38 AM, Tex Pete said:

You’re hilarious in this thread.

Thread:

”Are we going back to grass?”

”I hope so, I hate that our turf isn’t even burnt orange.”

”Yeah I never wanted to switch anyway.”

You:

”OH SHIT, BUNCHA JABRONI FUCKBOIS IN HERE OBSESSING OVER GRASS. GUESS WHAT FAGETS; YOU PLAYED YOURSELVES! IT DOESNT MAKE ANY FUCKING DIFFERENCE!! BUT DONT LET THAT STOP YOU GUYS FROM FREAKING OUT IVER FUCKING GRASS!”

lol, seriously dude, who are you screaming at, and why?

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 1:04 AM, Tex Pete said:

You're either with us, or against us.

And we're not arguing for installation of a mudpit.

Please re-read my precise description of the Cotton Bowl pitch above.  If it's dry, that field is pristine after the 0u game.

THAT"S WHAT WE'RE ADVOCATING FOR.

damn you've got me shouting at you.

Fake grass.  Serious bidness.

I'm all for installing a natural grass field surface that doesn't suck.  Colleges and high schools all over the country have managed this successfully for decades.  So let's just go ahead and do it THAT way, instead of whatever we did in the late 90s.  Seems pretty simple.

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

no one is advocating for a shite field.  wtf?

That's what we had before the turf was put in. We had won lots and were rolling in the dough, yet our grass was pure shit.

I'm all for going back to the 1996 stuff. I'm not for just putting in whatever for grass. People are acting like that's a foregone conclusion, but that definitely was not the case. Either some of you are really young or your memories are really bad. 

On 5/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, C-Man said:

I'd settle for Disch-Falk having all artificial but at least dirt for the base cutouts. That artificial, brown shit is stupid.

The disch looks like total dogshit. I thought it looked best in its Astro turf days, but I understand why that’s a terrible surface as well. Granted Astro turf was a huge play advantage 

That said, as a catcher and infielder, artificial doesn’t give you bad hops

On 5/7/2018 at 3:11 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

I thought I read somewhere that the new, modern Field Turf is a far cry from the olden days of shitty AstroTurf and was actually a better and more consistent playing surface than real turf.... and that's why practically everyone uses it. 

Aren't OU and TCU the only two stadiums in the conference with real turf at this point?

Bitch, please.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, Goo Punch said:

You’re hilarious in this thread.

Thread:

”Are we going back to grass?”

”I hope so, I hate that our turf isn’t even burnt orange.”

”Yeah I never wanted to switch anyway.”

You:

”OH SHIT, BUNCHA JABRONI FUCKBOIS IN HERE OBSESSING OVER GRASS. GUESS WHAT FAGETS; YOU PLAYED YOURSELVES! IT DOESNT MAKE ANY FUCKING DIFFERENCE!! BUT DONT LET THAT STOP YOU GUYS FROM FREAKING OUT IVER FUCKING GRASS!”

lol, seriously dude, who are you screaming at, and why?

Derka, your pills...

On 5/11/2018 at 10:37 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Bitch, please.

Stunningly insightful response.

I'm well aware that that natural turf is more aesthetically pleasing than any kind of artificial surface. 

But pithy replies aside, I am pretty sure that the reason modern FieldTurf is used practically everywhere at this point is because it creates a more consistent playing surface that doesn't deteriorate as the season progresses, particularly in colder climates.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:10 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

I am team “fix the football problems, then use the correct color orange, worry about the grass last”

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

3 takes care of 2.

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm of the opinion that 2 fixes 1

I’m of the opinion that we should be able to tackle more than one problem at a time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm well aware that that natural turf is more aesthetically pleasing than any kind of artificial surface. 

But pithy replies aside, I am pretty sure that the reason modern FieldTurf is used practically everywhere at this point is because it creates a more consistent playing surface that doesn't deteriorate as the season progresses, particularly in colder climates.

I was referring to leaving us off the natural grass list.  We've been artificial turf free since 1995, and won the award for best natural playing surface in the country recently.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/2015/10/28/jack-trice-stadiums-turf-named-no-1-grass-field-college-football/74738208/

I was just breaking your balls.  You're my boy, Blue.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Our cyclonic friend is correct; in terms of traditional venues, Jack Trice is one of the best stadiums in America. I wouldn't trade it for DKR, of course, but classic grass field in a stadium with a lot of cultural history is nothing to sneeze at.

Honestly, it was a very cookie cutter stadium initially.  We've really improved it, and the history of the Jack Trice story is powerful.

Our presss box is still oddly small.  But that playing surface is tits.

It boils down to it being cheaper to maintain, nothing else.

It still comes with all the negatives that any artificial surface comes with. it’s harder on your body including your feet, ankles, knees, shoulders and head than real grass.

A lot of schools have it because of money not because it makes for a better game.

• 2 months later...

From a recent CDC interview: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/7/26/17615572/chris-del-conte-texas-longhorns-facilities-conference-realignment-schedule

BON: You mentioned at one point this past year that you preferred grass surface over artificial turf for both football and baseball. Do you envision a future for both sports on natural grass and how complicated would that switch be?

CDC: I do at some point envision that. Obviously, coaches are going to make that decision. So, for me, it’s what the head coaches prefer.

I prefer grass. I think it’s great. But, you know, we just put in new FieldTurf at the baseball field recently. That’s a big expense. To put that in and take that out is a couple million dollars.

If we are successful in completing the South End Zone project, I would assume that we would go back to grass. I know Tom (Herman) and I have talked about it. But it hasn’t been like a firm commitment on either end.

I just prefer grass. There are only three schools in the conference with grass — TCU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma. Everyone else has FieldTurf.

From my standpoint, grass is better. We won a national championship on grass. I love it. But it’s not as easy as they say. If we are able to do the South End Zone project I would really push for that to be a possibility.