Texas vs Mississippi State: College World Series

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

He didn’t know where the wall was and that hesitation cost him. That’s a play that could’ve been made for sure

I'm more pissed about that awful final AB. Also, Daly looked at a meatball the very next pitch after Antico went yard 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

hate to rag on the kid, but that was a stupid and irresponsible swing by Hodo. when you have a 2-0 count you sit on a fastball that's up and over the plate, and you take on everything else. to swing at a 2-0 slider low and away, one that may have been ball three, it's inexcusable in that situation. it's a cardinal sin. you just can't do that. we had those douchebags on the verge of a total meltdown and we let em off the hook. worst loss in Omaha for me since LSU game 3 in 2009. 

Well I thought couldn't get any worse and you brought up LSU game 3 2009.

I should have known better.

I'm not ready to condemn Pierce, yet.

Augie had what, five years of complete shit offense?

Pierce has revived that in fewer than five years.  But he aint done yet.  It's pretty clear that offensive recruiting has improved and without negatively impacting defense or pitching.

As far as in-game coaching, and "magic," there's not another Garrido out there.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pierce has revived that in fewer than five years.  But he aint done yet.  It's pretty clear that offensive recruiting has improved and without negatively impacting defense or pitching.

As far as in-game coaching, and "magic," there's not another Garrido out there.

I was actually more worried pitching would drop off but it hasn’t.  I always believe in pitching as the strength with enough offense to win. I’ve never believed in offense first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

hate to rag on the kid, but that was a stupid and irresponsible swing by Hodo. when you have a 2-0 count you sit on a fastball that's up and over the plate, and you take on everything else. to swing at a 2-0 slider low and away, one that may have been ball three, it's inexcusable in that situation. it's a cardinal sin. you just can't do that. we had those douchebags on the verge of a total meltdown and we let em off the hook. worst loss in Omaha for me since LSU game 3 in 2009. 

QFTMFT

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know what to think about tonight's performance at the plate.  I've never, ever seen anything like it.  Obviously both teams had trouble picking up pitches, but MSU wasn't nearly as bad as we were.  I honestly thought the questionable calls at the plate went against us 2:1 or more, but fuck it, I'm a fan, I'm biased.  Ultimately, their starter was a complete badass, and ours was just very good.  Furk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

I was actually more worried pitching would drop off but it hasn’t.  I always believe in pitching as the strength with enough offense to win. I’ve never believed in offense first. 

Yep. Pitching and defense wins championships 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know what to think about tonight's performance at the plate.  I've never, ever seen anything like it.  Obviously both teams had trouble picking up pitches, but MSU wasn't nearly as bad as we were.  I honestly thought the questionable calls at the plate went against us 2:1 or more, but fuck it, I'm a fan, I'm biased.  Ultimately, their starter was a complete badass, and ours was just very good.  Furk.

By the end, they'd only outhit us 5 to 4, and a couple of theirs were bloop bullshit.  Tough night at the plate for everyone, and the inconsistent ump didn't help.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Watch it again, he lolly-gagged to get the ball as it bounced off the wall and rolled away from him. If you think that was a championship effort then fuck me silly. 

To me it looks like he’s struggling with the wind, bracing himself while running into the wall and trying to read the ball off the corner all at the same time. The hesitation hurt him reading it off the wall but by then it was already too late bc the runner was halfway around 1st by the time the ball hit the ground off the bat. 

Just now, Fletch said:

Yep. Pitching and defense wins championships 

Just needed one more hit tonight. Ugh. I may be silly but I think we are the most capable team to come out of the losers bracket.  I wouldn’t want to face vandy though, sweet mother of god.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You busted my chops about my questioning our batting and baserunning. Trust me, against good pitching, we are really not good.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pierce has revived that in fewer than five years.  But he aint done yet.

As far as in-game coaching, there's not another Garrido out there.

I thought the HP plate ump sucked as we all did but he sucked both ways.  You don't set an ncaa record for strikeouts with the pitchers that were on the mound today without ump help.  That being said, Pierce should have brought that to a head by confronting him at some point.  There was no pressure on the ump to act any differently.

I'm not blaming the ump.  We were too aggressive early and swung at terrible pitches.

I am not ready to condemn Pierce either but this game could have been manipulated early on and it may have made a difference.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

You busted my chops about my questioning our batting and baserunning. Trust me, against good pitching, we are really not good.

You're obviously angling for a fight, but I don't have it in me to go back and review what led to the screenshot.  Good for you?  

1 minute ago, troph said:

Just needed one more hit tonight. Ugh. I may be silly but I think we are the most capable team to come out of the losers bracket.  I wouldn’t want to face vandy though, sweet mother of god.

It’s not silly cause we are. We have the pitching and we don’t quit. Think 2014. We got this 

• Hook 'Em 3

We're still in this thing.  If you have to take the long road out of the loser's bracket, it helps to have the deepest pitching.  We get a win on Tues and end somebody's season and we're gonna start feeling really dangerous again.  Especially if we can preserve some bullpen arms.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Disappointing night for sure. The Horns have to learn not to swing at high fast balls over and over again. 

…or we could just hit those fastballs. Not like they were 101 mph…most were 91-93 mph belt-high strikes splitting the plate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Look, we might not have the bats to beat legit aces but we have the arms to make it through the losers bracket, so...

fuck this hurts. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He could have had it.  He got fooled by the wind, or the park or some combination.

It was a makeable catch if he played it right.  Shit, he almost made it but for lollygagging around.

should have run full speed into the wall

Just now, DoneWithit said:

To me it looks like he’s struggling with the wind, bracing himself while running into the wall and trying to read the ball off the corner all at the same time. The hesitation hurt him reading it off the wall but by then it was already too late bc the runner was halfway around 1st by the time the ball hit the ground off the bat. 

I disagree we’ve all seen kids turn it up a gear to get the ball going away from them off the wall. He didn’t do that. Guy might have made it to third anyway, so like I said, it was the only extra base hit the entire game. I still stand by that being the game in a masterful pitching duel. Yeah the ABs sucked but had that been a double or an out or whatever then you’d hear from MSU how they couldn’t get their offense going. Our AB sucked no doubt. One extra base hit though got the run for them in the only inning they even sniffed second base. 

Just now, UTEX90 said:

I thought the HP plate ump sucked as we all did but he sucked both ways.  You don't set an ncaa record for strikeouts with the pitchers that were on the mound today without ump help.  That being said, Pierce should have brought that to a head by confronting him at some point.  There was no pressure on the ump to act any differently.

I'm not blaming the ump.  We were too aggressive early and swung at terrible pitches.

I am not ready to condemn Pierce either but this game could have been manipulated early on and it may have made a difference.

Yeah I won't say it would have resulted in a different outcome, but it should have at least been attempted.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It’s not silly cause we are. We have the pitching and we don’t quit. Think 2014. We got this 

The silly part is after the 9th inning I’m sorta “meh” about the loss. It really was a pitchers duel one play away from winning. The sub story might  be the strikeouts but it wasn’t a total domination the way we felt about it. No way we were gonna roll I mean we coulda stayed in the winners bracket but a loss here wasn’t unexpected.  All we have to do is survive and out last and that’s what I’ve always loved about Texas baseball - we’ve always had the pitching for Omaha. So fuck these rat bastards, let’s bitchslap rocky top and then take them one at a time.  Chances of seeing that pitching again - fresh, full rest is nil unless we make the championship. So bring it on. 

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

…or we could just hit those fastballs. Not like they were 101 mph…most were 91-93 mph belt-high strikes splitting the plate. 

Don’t disagree with this either. Texas just seemed to never see ball well. Just slow to everything. 

6 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

No Plan B …

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I think the most infuriating thing is that Tennessee was thought to be our biggest threat, and they're in the loser's bracket.  Yeah, I get it, you don't want to play the team that beat them, either, but for fuck's sake.  Give me UVA.

Oh, we'll get UVA, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I don’t disagree, but you need to lay some pipe and grab a bud lite. Nothings fucked 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tuesday-1:00p versus Tennessee.  Half day of work, lotsa day drinking on what looks to be the last nice day for the rest of the summer weather-wise.  

Thursday-6:00p versus UVA/MSU loser.  I am looking that far ahead, but nothing beyond this particular game.  Just please no 2-and-Q for us.  

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the most infuriating thing is that Tennessee was thought to be our biggest threat, and they're in the loser's bracket.  Yeah, I get it, you don't want to play the team that beat them, either, but for fuck's sake.  Give me UVA.

I was always more worried about opposing pitchers. We can shut down the hitters and win as long as we get less than first round caliber pitching against us.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Isn't a coach gonna get run for arguing balls and strikes pretty much automatically?

I don't think an ump is going to change his calls because he gets to eject someone.  Seems to me it stands an even chance of increasing the bias.

To me, the value, if any, of getting run is to fire up the team.  I'm not sure firing up is what the team needed.  

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

We're still in this thing.  If you have to take the long road out of the loser's bracket, it helps to have the deepest pitching.  We get a win on Tues and end somebody's season and we're gonna start feeling really dangerous again.  Especially if we can preserve some bullpen arms.

These guys seriously run on confidence. Hopefully that last inning and only giving up 2 runs gave em that extra juice they somehow need 

• Hook 'Em 1

We ran into a one two punch with pitching and we made them work for it.  We did not stink up on defense and our pitching was fucking nails as well.  It happens.  I don't think we see any more pitching like that this tourney...  Lots of baseball left...  We did not embarrass ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1