Texas vs Mississippi State: College World Series

Horny Bull

13 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

should have run full speed into the wall

Well, I think that's why he didn't burn after it.  He thought it was foul and wasn't going to slam into the wall full tilt boogie trying to make a play on a foul that he thought was out.  Then it came back in and he wound up about a foot from making the catch.  And then was disoriented to go get the rebound.

He misplayed it.  It's not quite like he lollygagged a regular outfield catch, but he did misplay a makeable catch.  If he had just run to the foul line to see if there was an foul catch to be made, he probably would have made the catch.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Isn’t this your daily schedule anyways?

Tuesday is gonna only be in upper 80's . Meaning first pitch at 1:00p will be under 85...so find a place to watch outside.  Fishing in the morning, pretend to work midday, and then let's kick the snot outta the Vols.  It's the rest of the week after that I'm worried about. 

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

We ran into a one two punch with pitching and we made them work for it.  We did not stink up on defense and our pitching was fucking nails as well.  It happens.  I don't think we see any more pitching like that this tourney...  Lots of baseball left...  We did not embarrass ourselves.

All true, but we did embarrass ourselves at least a little.  That many strikeouts is embarrassing, period.

Bednar wasn't iced, or sweating.  He was cool as a cucumber after that.  Pretty fucking impressive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

All true, but we did embarrass ourselves at least a little.  That many strikeouts is embarrassing, period.

Bednar wasn't iced, or sweating.  He was cool as a cucumber after that.  Pretty fucking impressive.

Do you think he could have pitched a complete game if he had not been yanked (and yanked pretty quick)?

Edited by petscii

how sharp was your reliever?  Was this his standard performance or was he a bit off?  Did he pitch more than usual tonight or was this about his average?

Off I would say. Though he has given up a few more homeruns recently. It's the post season so he's going to get stretched out more than usual.

He will be good to go on Tuesday if needed though

#HailState

2 minutes ago, petscii said:

Do you think he could have pitched a complete game if he had not been yanked (and yanked pretty quick)?

Dunno.  Madden didn't seem to be laboring much either, but I was watching Bednar for signs of stress or exertion and never saw any.

That was a 10K performance against probably any other team in the tourney.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Off I would say. Though he has given up a few more homeruns recently. It's the post season so he's going to get stretched out more than usual.

He will be good to go on Tuesday if needed though

#HailState

Hey congrats to your team State. Hopefully we play again soon.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I disagree we’ve all seen kids turn it up a gear to get the ball going away from them off the wall. He didn’t do that. Guy might have made it to third anyway, so like I said, it was the only extra base hit the entire game. I still stand by that being the game in a masterful pitching duel. Yeah the ABs sucked but had that been a double or an out or whatever then you’d hear from MSU how they couldn’t get their offense going. Our AB sucked no doubt. One extra base hit though got the run for them in the only inning they even sniffed second base. 

Agree to disagree, I guess on Hodo. I’m with you on the pitching duel. The thing about pitching duels is puts added pressure on offense and defense. Hodo’s play in the fourth was the game changer in hindsight. At that time there was still hope for Texas to get going on offense but of course we didn’t. My point is, when your team strikes out 20+ times while defense/pitching only gives up 2 runs, the play by Hodo in the 4th becomes a bigger problem than it should be. Also, Miss st is not going home saying that got their offense going, they had one extra base hit like you said. Neither team’s offense showed up—Texas just struck out 20+ times while miss st at least produced some walks and put the ball in play. 

3 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Agree to disagree, I guess on Hodo. I’m with you on the pitching duel. The thing about pitching duels is puts added pressure on offense and defense. Hodo’s play in the fourth was the game changer in hindsight. At that time there was still hope for Texas to get going on offense but of course we didn’t. My point is, when your team strikes out 20+ times while defense/pitching only gives up 2 runs, the play by Hodo in the 4th becomes a bigger problem than it should be. Also, Miss st is not going home saying that got their offense going, they had one extra base hit like you said. Neither team’s offense showed up—Texas just struck out 20+ times while miss st at least produced some walks and put the ball in play. 

I agree. I was just trying to look at the game from a different angle. In the end it was one pitch, one hit, one strikeout that made the difference.

Hodo misplayed the ball. It happens. Acting like he (or other athletic RFs) couldn't make the catch is dumb. If it was Melendez out there, sure, he's not getting to the RF line in time to make the catch. But Hodo has the speed to get there and make the catch if he doesn't misplay the ball.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

While you bitches were here whining and complaining I took my daughter over to greet the team as they came out and boarded the bus.

How did they look? Man that 9th inning was awesome. I was screaming and the whole damn place was rocking and we were getting great hits and I was just thinking "fuck yeah, this is what I came to Omaha for"

I hope they felt something similar and are fired up for Tuesday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

How did they look? Man that 9th inning was awesome. I was screaming and the whole damn place was rocking and we were getting great hits and I was just thinking "fuck yeah, this is what I came to Omaha for"

I hope they felt something similar and are fired up for Tuesday.

They looked really down.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Hodo misplayed the ball. It happens. Acting like he (or other athletic RFs) couldn't make the catch is dumb. If it was Melendez out there, sure, he's not getting to the RF line in time to make the catch. But Hodo has the speed to get there and make the catch if he doesn't misplay the ball.

the unfamiliarity of the park certainly played into it.  he needed to get to the line and drift back.  with 2 outs if you don't catch it the guy scores anyway.  

sucks it had to be bloop hits that did us in(defensively)

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey congrats to your team State. Hopefully we play again soon.
Very likely I would say. You should be able to take care of the pretender UT. And hopefully we can squash the cavs.

Hopefully we can get a series on the schedule in the future. Crazy that before the game to start the year, we had not played since the line drive of Gene Morgan's shin in 1985 in Omaha.

#HailState

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was impressed with the hook.  He knew he was getting pulled.
Haha the quick pitch for a strike. He wanted to prove he could still go. But why wait when you have Sims ready and could go the distance..
That was completely different than how Lemon coached during the regular season.

#HailState

• Like 1

My 17 yo just told me about some talk on IG about Bednar touching his cap before basically every pitch. Anyone else see anything like that? 

That said, our hitting still sucked. No excuse. Just thought it was interesting. I'ma go back and look a little.

My 17 yo just told me about some talk on IG about Bednar touching his cap before basically every pitch. Anyone else see anything like that? 
That said, our hitting still sucked. No excuse. Just thought it was interesting. I'ma go back and look a little.

My 14 year old mentioned the same thing during the game. I personally didn’t see it when I started paying attention but then the ESPN camera often didn’t follow the pitcher much in between pitches.

1 hour ago, petscii said:

We ran into a one two punch with pitching and we made them work for it.  We did not stink up on defense and our pitching was fucking nails as well.  It happens.  I don't think we see any more pitching like that this tourney...  Lots of baseball left...  We did not embarrass ourselves.

We did not embarrass ourselves?   We just set a CWS strikeout record?   Seriously? 

16 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Not saying we're out of it, not calling them losers, just calling a spade a spade.

Yeah, it was about expectations.  I was worried about our hitting.  The B12 tournament could have just been a fluke or something lurking in the background all year.   Our regional and super didn't quite convince me that the tournament demons were exorcized.

I was never quite convinced we had the hitting to go all the way.  But pitching and defense  . . .  and the team does have a certain scrappiness that's been missing for a while.

That said, I think we're on an upward trajectory with Pierce.  We'll see.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, it was about expectations.  I was worried about our hitting.  The B12 tournament could have just been a fluke or something lurking in the background all year.   Our regional and super didn't quite convince me that the tournament demons were exorcized.

I was never quite convinced we had the hitting to go all the way.  But pitching and defense  . . .  and the team does have a certain scrappiness that's been missing for a while.

That said, I think we're on an upward trajectory with Pierce.  We'll see.

We return our entire lineup minus Zubia and Antico. Hopefully Hansen stays. Him Stevens and Witt(or whatever) would be a nasty weekend rotation. Add Todd and put Melendez or Powell at first and yeah. Another top 10 team on paper 

2 hours ago, troph said:

He played it like it was foul. He quit on it for a second. So much so I was convinced the replay would prove him right. 

He did quit for a half second, but I don't think he gets to it even if he didn't.  Just a really bad luck deal.  It's baseball and it stings.

If we were to have a shot at winning a game like this it would of taken a coaching staff that understood the value of doing everything possible to get a pitcher out of his groove.  Apparently that never occured to our staff.  It's truly hard to wrap my mind around it.  There was zero effort at all from them on that extremely important aspect of the game.  They mailed it in coaching-wise.

No other way to put it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1