Texas vs Mississippi State: College World Series

Horny Bull

55 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Of course that would be best, but this is Surly. We aren't here to "move on". This is what we do.

Let’s re-visit 1989 !!!!!!!!

For the first time since the College World Series in 1947, the series was not a true double elimination tournament. Instead, the winners of the two pools met in a single National Championship game. Texas came out of its pool with no losses. Wichita State came out of its pool with one loss. Wichita State defeated Texas in the Championship game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

For the first time since the College World Series in 1947, the series was not a true double elimination tournament. Instead, the winners of the two pools met in a single National Championship game. Texas came out of its pool with no losses. Wichita State came out of its pool with one loss. Wichita State defeated Texas in the Championship game. 

I watched that game in a dark bar by myself. I couldn’t believe Texas lost. Wichita State had to take the long and hard route to get there. Maybe it built some “we aren’t going to go all this way and then lose it” character. Texas took the better route and maybe thought it was theirs for the taking. That game and the Texas/Georgia Cotton Bowl football game in ‘83 when Texas had it won for the National Championship and lost it in the very end over some mishaps were heartbreaking that I haven’t got over. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Bednar wasn't working super fast but he definitely had a rhythm and flow going.  Call fucking time, step out.  My 14 year old knows to do this, maybe because he still does both works pretty quick as a pitcher and knows it can work.  Does it always work, no but jeez that's something you learn by the time you're 11 or 12.  

Also it's been said but jesus you could see the epidemic of the all or nothing cookie cutter power approach to swings last night.  Yea you're probably not gonna generate a ton of launch angle with a ball up at the top or above the top of the zone but you can spray that shit for singles and occasionally doubles all day.  

I would love a few innings with two singles and a double. That’s 4 runs right there.  

these players are smart enough to change their approach, I don’t get why they didn’t.  We don’t need zen shit we need players and coaches with situational awareness, hell I’d say the entire game of college baseball should be string base hits together, so few really have HR power anyway. It’s mind boggling really.  

31 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I watched that game in a dark bar by myself. I couldn’t believe Texas lost. Wichita State had to take the long and hard route to get there. Maybe it built some “we aren’t going to go all this way and then lose it” character. Texas took the better route and maybe thought it was theirs for the taking. That game and the Texas/Georgia Cotton Bowl football game in ‘83 when Texas had it won for the National Championship and lost it in the very end over some mishaps were heartbreaking that I haven’t got over. 

Both of those hurt badly. We were at the cotton bowl, I watched the shockers game at home still remember it. 

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Both of those hurt badly. We were at the cotton bowl, I watched the shockers game at home still remember it. 

I had finished first year of law school, and accordingly, didn't know about the one-game championship "series."

So I watched, we lost, lots of celebration I was like wtf. WTFF?  WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED.

I was also probably drunk.

27 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If Augie, Gus and Pierce had a round table in the back of the bar after last night's game....what would they have to say to Pierce?   Gusisms and Augieisms?

Guarantee you augie would talk about how baseball is a sport of failure and you have to find other ways to be successful at the plate. Augie before his slide woulda bunted like a maniac, called time outs, told the guys to choke up on the bat not choke at the plate, made them laugh, and all around been very present in last nights game. Pierce was an unplayable character as my video gaming kids would say. 

gus practically invented the Texas leaguer he would have talked about manufacturing runs too. Though I was super young when he was the coach so I know less about what he would say.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WBT said:

Kennedy popped up a bunt to the 3rd baseman for the last out of the 8th.  

I'll echo that Ty was great* and deserved better.  Done in by one leadoff walk and a RF that shied away from the sidewall on a ball that landed fair.

*He's our 3rd best starter.  Why is he starting game 1?

Yeah I mentioned that popup, just couldn't remember who did it ... but it was like the 7th or 8th. Shoulda been tried earlier.

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

He did, but as stated before that was waaaaaaaaaay too late in the game.  By the 4th inning we should have been changing our plate approach up.  That's an adjustment.

What Kennedy tried in the 8th wasn't an adjustment, it was desperation and his bunt attempt reflected that fact.

Este.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

And it's still bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If Augie, Gus and Pierce had a round table in the back of the bar after last night's game....what would they have to say to Pierce?   Gusisms and Augieisms?

This is weak, but probably roughly the same thing. Pitching, defense, 2 out hitting. Gus may suggest throwing Madden for 6 innings tomorrow and Augie may insist we bunt no matter what with a lead off runner on. Pierce would probably be encouraging watching pitches. No definitely. He loves those 3-2 counts but he can obviously develop pitchers. Ah fuck it we got this. 6-1, right? Whatever. 6-0 will work. 

• Like 1