Your Favorite CFB Announcers, or Announcing Team

Augustus

Musberger fell off late in his career, but he was darn good before that.

Joey Galloway is underrated as well.

BTN used a play-by-play guy with baseball roots for like one game back in 2018 or so.  I really wish we got more of him.  Called it like he was on the radio.  He did nothing but the play, and let his color guy so the rest.  Just meat and potatoes.

On 6/20/2021 at 5:49 PM, slorch said:

No announcers is my favorite announcing team...

yup

best thing about those skycam games they have as alternates sometimes. It's just crowd noise and game noise, and a continuous shot of the game. Closest I've experienced to being at the game.

17 hours ago, Zeus said:

yup

best thing about those skycam games they have as alternates sometimes. It's just crowd noise and game noise, and a continuous shot of the game. Closest I've experienced to being at the game.

Did you know that only the guy who receives the snap is protected by the rules regarding intentional grounding? That if he’s outside of the pocket and throws the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then that’s perfectly fine, but if he pitches the ball backwards to someone else, that rule doesn’t apply to them?

I only learned that rule in the past 8 years. Some announcers explained it to me. The refs don’t have the time. My knowledge base of football rules and regulations and history comes from a lifetime of experience watching games, listening to the announcers, and the refs, and reading books, (and online articles and discussions since the early 90’s). Even if we know the rules, it’s important to have announcers who keep informing the audience of the rules so the young people can learn. And the rules keep changing so it’s important to keep up on that too.

Are they perfect? No. Nobody is. But if you lived in a world without football announcers then you’d know a lot less about football. Unless you spent years playing and/or coaching the game. I’ve attended more games than I could count. And conversation among knowledgeable football fans is a good way to learn. (Ahem...like how controlling the line of scrimmage is the key to success on offense more than play calling). But there are lots of things I learned from announcers on tv and, since we have a lot of college football fans demanding an expanded playoff just so they can watch more football at home on their couch, knowledgeable announcers are probably more important now than ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did you know that only the guy who receives the snap is protected by the rules regarding intentional grounding? That if he’s outside of the pocket and throws the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then that’s perfectly fine, but if he pitches the ball backwards to someone else, that rule doesn’t apply to them?

I only learned that rule in the past 8 years. Some announcers explained it to me. The refs don’t have the time. My knowledge base of football rules and regulations and history comes from a lifetime of experience watching games, listening to the announcers, and the refs, and reading books, (and online articles and discussions since the early 90’s). Even if we know the rules, it’s important to have announcers who keep informing the audience of the rules so the young people can learn. And the rules keep changing so it’s important to keep up on that too.

Are they perfect? No. Nobody is. But if you lived in a world without football announcers then you’d know a lot less about football. Unless you spent years playing and/or coaching the game. I’ve attended more games than I could count. And conversation among knowledgeable football fans is a good way to learn. (Ahem...like how controlling the line of scrimmage is the key to success on offense more than play calling). But there are lots of things I learned from announcers on tv and, since we have a lot of college football fans demanding an expanded playoff just so they can watch more football at home on their couch, knowledgeable announcers are probably more important now than ever.

Next time try watching with your wife, she'll explain the rules to you.

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dumbasses like you are why John Madden was so popular.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:30 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

This could cross post on the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I'm one of three people on the Internet who loved Brent Musberger. Loved loved loved him. He called some of the biggest games I watched growing up and I always liked the way he set the stage for things. He never sounded bored setting up games that were likely blowouts so his energy when those games turned out to be huge thrilling upsets didn't feel faked. E.g., the 1996 Big 12 Championship Game. I get he's not most people's cup of tea. And that he's retired.

Jackson was obviously in a league of his own.

Nessler to me was way better 15 years ago. I think Sean McDonough has surpassed him. 

Fowler is the fucking worst. He sounds like an announcer in a football movie, like he's scripted and played by someone who knows football announcing by watching tapes of announcers, not growing up with the sport. 

Of all time, I agree w Augustus that Franklin and Gottfried were special. 

Brent Musburger is universally beloved by the entire ISU fanbase, but that's more for basketball.

I always thought he was hilarious, barely containing his love of drinking, gambling, and co-eds during broadcasts.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 6/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, Parliament said:

Musberger fell off late in his career, but he was darn good before that.

Joey Galloway is underrated as well.

BTN used a play-by-play guy with baseball roots for like one game back in 2018 or so.  I really wish we got more of him.  Called it like he was on the radio.  He did nothing but the play, and let his color guy so the rest.  Just meat and potatoes.

My problem with Galloway is that he just clearly knows nothing outside of the Big 10.  I'll probably never get over him picking the 2017 Baylor squad (went 1-11) to win the league in Ruhle's first season.

I wish someone would write a big enough check to get Nessler and Blackledge in the same booth.  For now I think McDonough / Blackledge need to be promoted to ESPN’s #1 crew and let Fowler / Herbie handle some Friday night MAC action.  I hate those two fucks.

I would like to buy you a beer good sir.