Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

kevwun

19 hours ago, mchookem said:

man... this week's piece about prisons with no a/c was brutal, and once again Texas was the star 🙄

as we're all bitching and moaning about 100 degrees already in June from our air conditioned homes and offices...150 heat index inside?? i hope we can all agree that is inhumane.

the CO commenting 'we're here to run a prison, not a concentration camp'...wow.

who was it that said something about you can tell a country's civilization by the way they treat their prisoners? we're savages by that account.  sheesh. 😳

Yep do the crime, do the time. But, the time shouldn't be something that involves conditions you wouldn't subject a dog, or as that piece raised a fucking pig to.  We generally revile places like Andersonville Prison in our history.  Prisons absolutely should be bare bones but reasonable/humane climate control should be part of that bare bones. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Oliver being in the "white room" isn't as odd as Noah still doing the show from home. My wife watches Fallon every night. He's been back in studio for months and has had a full audience for a few weeks now, I think. The Daily Show really needs a studio audience IMO.

I’m not talking about a few dozen socially distanced audience members wearing masks, some of whom might have been writers and staff. Colbert has a full audience.

And Nathan Lane killed last night. I never would’ve expected him to be a guest so soon after Colbert returned back to having a full crowd. (Go ahead and show us a shot of Fallon’s crowd.) But he absolutely killed. I was crying. And this is just the first segment.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not talking about a few dozen socially distanced audience members wearing masks, some of whom might have been writers and staff. Colbert has a full audience.

And Nathan Lane killed last night. I never would’ve expected him to be a guest so soon after Colbert returned back to having a full crowd. (Go ahead and show us a shot of Fallon’s crowd.) But he absolutely killed. I was crying. And this is just the first segment.

Honestly,  don't care enough to go looking for one. Either you believe me or you don't. He's been back in the studio for quite some time. Yes, he had NBC staffers in the audience at the beginning, then he went to regular audience members in smaller numbers and now they're back to full capacity and it's been more than a few weeks, I think. The majority of his guests, however, are still interviewed via Zoom.

At any rate, all I'm saying is that I find it interesting that they continue to do The Daily Show from his Noah's couch.

Edited by C-Man

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

I've watched a couple of Colbert episodes since he's been back in studio, and I think I may prefer him without an audience. Which doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Colbert has been gold since returning to a live audience. I think people have forgotten how to party.

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

At any rate, all I'm saying is that I find it interesting that they continue to do The Daily Show from his Noah's couch.

Comedy Central doesn't have NBC/CBS money. Besides, Trevor sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Honestly,  don't care enough to go looking for one. Either you believe me or you don't. He's been back in the studio for quite some time. Yes, he had NBC staffers in the audience at the beginning, then he went to regular audience members in smaller numbers and now they're back to full capacity and it's been more than a few weeks, I think. The majority of his guests, however, are still interviewed via Zoom.

Jimmy’s been in the studio. He’s not playing in front of a full audience like Colbert.

And yes, Trevor Noah sucks. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Jimmy’s been in the studio. He’s not playing in front of a full audience like Colbert.

And yes, Trevor Noah sucks. 

I like Trevor. I liked Jon Stewart too and thought Trevor was out of his element for several months when he took over. If you have read his book you have a much greater appreciation for who he is and where his brand of humor comes from.

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I like Trevor. I liked Jon Stewart too and thought Trevor was out of his element for several months when he took over. If you have read his book you have a much greater appreciation for who he is and where his brand of humor comes from.

giphy (2).gif

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I reviewed his standup on YouTube when it was announced he was getting the job to replace Jon Stewart. I didn’t think he was funny. Nothing I’ve seen from his work on TDS makes me laugh. You’re either funny or you’re not. If I need to know your life story in order to get your humor, you’re not funny. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would be fun.

I’d still like to see Wyatt Cenac get his turn. 

I think that ship sailed.  His show on HBO was meh.   

Hasan would be the best person for the show.  His interview with the Shark Tank guy was very pointed and he waded through the bullshit (I lost $18 million, ok I only invested $1 million cash...but....) and his interaction with Ronnie (about who is Asian) was pretty funny.  His show Patriot Act was good.   

Edited by Nivek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

John’s back! After five months off, he had an extended intro. And it’s gold.

I’m surprised this is still up. Maybe they’re making an exception for this one or maybe the people whose job it is to get full episodes removed from YouTube have gotten out of the habit. Usually they just leave the main stories up. Anyway, as always, this is very NSFW.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

John Oliver's campaign to have the Pūteketeke crowned as "Bird of the Century" in New Zealand was successful! (BTW, NZ crowns the Bird of the Century ever year.)

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/11/15/exp-new-zealand-bird-of-the-century-john-oliver-puteketeke-rdr-111503aseg2-cnni-world.cnn

The Australasian crested grebe, better known as the pūteketeke or the 'puking' bird, has won New Zealand's Bird of the Century poll after being championed by comedian and talk show host John Oliver.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...