It's the Wild Wild West! Student-athletes win major battle with NCAA over compensation

Hornius Emeritus

I didn't know if this should go in another forum but it very much seems that football and men's basketball will be impacted the most. 

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court holds that limiting compensation to tuition and expenses, etc. violates anti-trust principles.

Justice Gorsuch writes:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf

Let the games begin!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@TwiceHorn please explain in simple terms what this means. Thanks. 

The court then entered an injunction reflecting its findings and conclusions. Nothing in the order precluded the NCAA from continuing to fix compensation and benefits unrelated to education; limits on athletic scholarships, for example, remained untouched. The court enjoined the NCAA only from limiting education-related compensation or benefits that conferences and schools may provide to student athletes playing Division I football and basketball.  The court’s injunction further specified that the NCAA could continue to limit cash awards for academic achievement—but only so long as those limits are no lower than the cash awards allowed for athletic achievement (currently $5,980 annually).  The court added that the NCAA and its members were free to propose a definition of compensation or benefits “‘related to education.’”

The NCAA's bans and caps on non-education related compensation remain.

There is now more latitude for institutions to give money under the education or academic end of athletic scholarships.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The court then entered an injunction reflecting its findings and conclusions. Nothing in the order precluded the NCAA from continuing to fix compensation and benefits unrelated to education; limits on athletic scholarships, for example, remained untouched. The court enjoined the NCAA only from limiting education-related compensation or benefits that conferences and schools may provide to student athletes playing Division I football and basketball.  The court’s injunction further specified that the NCAA could continue to limit cash awards for academic achievement—but only so long as those limits are no lower than the cash awards allowed for athletic achievement (currently $5,980 annually).  The court added that the NCAA and its members were free to propose a definition of compensation or benefits “‘related to education.’”

The NCAA's bans and caps on non-education related compensation remain.

There is now more latitude for institutions to give money under the education or academic end of athletic scholarships.

Gotcha, so we can provide Bose, Beats, and Airpods to athletes under the guise of of educational benefits? That kind of thing?

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Gotcha, so we can provide Bose, Beats, and Airpods to athletes under the guise of of educational benefits? That kind of thing?

Pretty much.  Also notes that the NCAA has some latitude to narrow the definition of "education-related" without banning or capping such compensation.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

The end of amateur athletics and the skewing of success to the big five schools goodbye Cinderella's in the NCAA basketball tournament 

There should still be Cinderellas, just the following year the entire team will transfer to a P5 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty much. I think they can also provide educational awards (everyone with a 3.0 gpa gets $1000!) and they can offer scholarships beyond eligibility (pay for grad school, pay for returning to undergrad if leaving early for the NFL, etc.).

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A unanimous decision?

Boy, when 9 justices from across the spectrum all agree, the NCAA's argument was as bad as it's existence. 

Whenever there's a Supreme Court unanimous decision, the losing side needs severe punishment - whether it's jail-time, financial, or whatever. Since the NCAA is an organization, it ought to be disbanded.

• Like 2

It sounds like any new money paid to players has to be proven to be aligned in some way to their education. Is the next Johnny Football getting paid 10K to sign autographs allowed under this ruling? I doesn't sound like it. 

How does one reconcile Kavanuagh's strong words with this result only applying to education expenses? 

What am I missing? 

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty much.  Also notes that the NCAA has some latitude to narrow the definition of "education-related" without banning or capping such compensation.

Kavanaugh also went out of his way to broadcast his opinion that any restriction on pay should not be protected. Whether that would actually be the case when a suit challenging that aspect comes up could be a different story, but I expect the NCAA to be extremely lenient on NIL and and the extra education benefits as a means to appease players and avoid potentially losing a suit that would open the door for direct compensation form schools beyond just educational benefits. That’s the thing the NCAA is really worried about. NIL and this case are a drop in the bucket compared to that. 

It was easier just to talk out to the car for a few shots and a beer chug.  But then this whole, "once you leave, you can't come back" rule started...

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

It sounds like any new money paid to players has to be proven to be aligned in some way to their education. Is the next Johnny Football getting paid 10K to sign autographs allowed under this ruling? I doesn't sound like it. 

How does one reconcile Kavanuagh's strong words with this result only applying to education expenses? 

What am I missing? 

Kavanaugh’s concurrence was dicta, ie giving his opinion on something beyond what is actually to be decided in this case. He basically wrote that as a means of scaring the NCAA into doing what he thinks they should without requiring another case to come before SCOTUS, but the actual decision today is pretty limited in what it allows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Whenever there's a Supreme Court unanimous decision, the losing side needs severe punishment - whether it's jail-time, financial, or whatever. Since the NCAA is an organization, it ought to be disbanded.

Unanimous decisions are common in apolitical cases.  As in 50% or more.

While this has a sort of political component to it, it's really an antitrust case.  Driest of the dry.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A CBA would be a lot more feasible if Title 9 weren’t a thing. You could have a football CBA, basketball CBA, etc. but if you’re trying to negotiate a CBA for all NCAA athletes, that will be close to impossible. On top of that, you’d probably have to split out divisions in order for a CBA to be attainable, i.e. P5, G5, 1AA, which would drastically change the landscape of college sports. 

NCAA is big mad, will probably add another two years probation to my alma mater's basketball program for the infractions that had no competitive advantage and solely benefitted a rogue assistant coach who was convicted of actual crimes. Because it's all about the athletes' wellbeing to be told what they can and cannot gain from their labor.

27 minutes ago, n64ra said:

After that, please make the case for lap dances as education-related benefits. Helps with anxiety during finals.

Now this is a thought.  If you can have an emotional support dog why not an emotional support Hooker?

• Haha 1