Pine Tree Flag and Christian Nationalism

sasquatch69

Searched for previous posts on this and didn't find any, so starting new thread.

I was visiting my parents in North Dallas the other day and noticed a neighbor flying a white flag with a pine tree, with the words "AN APPEAL TO HEAVEN".  I hadn't seen this before, and wondered about it, but promptly forgot. Yesterday we went out for Father's Day lunch and saw a couple with two kids, and the husband/wife were wearing matching shirts with the same logo/text.  This got me really curious, so I looked it up when we got home - and the truth about it is unnerving.

Turns out it's an old flag flown by Continental Army naval vessels under Washington's command.  Now, it's a growing slogan/insignia for Christian Dominionists/Nationalists, and popularized by nationalist leader Dutch Sheets - and was apparently flown at the Jan. 6 insurrection, although I don't recall seeing it (the one I remember is the Gadsden flag).

More at link below, including this quote.  Are y'all seeing this more frequently?

Sheets’ “Appeal to Heaven” movement is but one example of a marked rise in Christian Nationalism in the U.S., according to both experts in the field and my research for the Tow Center’s VizPol tool. The tool helps journalists identify unfamiliar political symbols, their contexts and their associations, particularly at protests. I co-wrote an article about the symbols and flags present at the U.S. Capitol riots on Jan. 6 — and their meanings — using the VizPol tool. In the analysis of the day, we found that several other symbols, including those with secessionist, Norse, and neo-Confederate connotations, evoked the sentiment that participants saw themselves as waging an all-out war. In their storming of the Capitol, rioters seemed to believe that they were preserving their white supremacist version of the United States. Similarly, bearers of the Pine Tree flag at the “Save America” rally seemed to be attempting to further their own Christian Nationalist agenda. Taken in this light, the Pine Tree flag can be seen as a symbol of the fight to elevate the influence of biblical law in American society.

Spoiler

Pine Tree Flag

https://towcenter.medium.com/the-pine-tree-flag-how-one-symbol-at-the-capitol-riot-connects-far-right-extremism-to-christianity-f02314a5f759

Edited by sasquatch69
added flag image
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Searched for previous posts on this and didn't find any, so starting new thread.

I was visiting my parents in North Dallas the other day and noticed a neighbor flying a white flag with a pine tree, with the words "AN APPEAL TO HEAVEN".  I hadn't seen this before, and wondered about it, but promptly forgot. Yesterday we went out for Father's Day lunch and saw a couple with two kids, and the husband/wife were wearing matching shirts with the same logo/text.  This got me really curious, so I looked it up when we got home - and the truth about it is unnerving.

Turns out it's an old flag flown by Continental Army naval vessels under Washington's command.  Now, it's a growing slogan/insignia for Christian Dominionists/Nationalists, and popularized by nationalist leader Dutch Sheets - and was apparently flown at the Jan. 6 insurrection, although I don't recall seeing it (the one I remember is the Gadsden flag).

More at link below, including this quote.  Are y'all seeing this more frequently?

Reveal hidden contents

Pine Tree Flag

https://towcenter.medium.com/the-pine-tree-flag-how-one-symbol-at-the-capitol-riot-connects-far-right-extremism-to-christianity-f02314a5f759

In my experience you don't need a fucking pine tree to connect Christianity to extremism, but whatevs.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

In my experience you don't need a fucking pine tree to connect Christianity to extremism, but whatevs.

From what I've seen of right wing idjits, the pine tree is probably just another thing to jam up your own ass....

pezs5llipi631.jpg

13 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think you all are underestimating the problem here.  A good chunk of the 3.5 million truck drivers and 200K taxi drivers in America are apparently Christian Nationalists.

ba136ef1580f212d30119a82e92956cb.jpg

It’s my understanding that if you’re black and have one of those hanging on your rear view mirror then it’s justification to get you shot by the cops. 

Saw one flying on the back of a Bro-Dozer in Burnet the other day and had to look it up. I guess it's one of the 6 flags over Hickistan now, along with the Gadsden flag, the Betsey Ross flag, The Blue Line flag, the Stars & Bars, and the Trump "No more bullshit" flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Pine trees produce pine nuts?  One of your earliest Seditionists.  If we all kicked in $10,000...we could get Christopher Guest to make his last mockumentary about 6 January and it would be the best money we ever spent.  

I'm really getting tired of nut jobs coopting cool revolutionary flags.  First the 3 percenters and the Betsy Ross flag (kind of, and yes, I know it wasn't a thing until much later), then the Gadsden Flag, and now this.

If they try the Bunker Hill Flag, I may just lose my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm really getting tired of nut jobs coopting cool revolutionary flags.  First the 3 percenters and the Betsy Ross flag (kind of, and yes, I know it wasn't a thing until much later), then the Gadsden Flag, and now this.

That makes me wonder, who did the original revolutionaries borrow their flags and symbols from?  If you have to rip-off flags and symbols from another era for your current revolution, what does that say about what you are fighting for?  It seems like it might be a tell that there isn't anything of substance at the heart of your movement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Saw one flying on the back of a Bro-Dozer in Burnet the other day and had to look it up. I guess it's one of the 6 flags over Hickistan now, along with the Gadsden flag, the Betsey Ross flag, The Blue Line flag, the Stars & Bars, and the Trump "No more bullshit" flag. 

The Union Jack is feeling left out; "Right, you lot, I actually burned the White House, I did."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Flags in general are stupid as fuck.

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

"He'll Be Back. 2024"

Seemed pretty popular on Port A beach this weekend. 

Edited by Anastasis

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I guess I could google it.  Apparently firemen feel the need to desecrate the flag too. 

I’m a professional nerd and I want a line, too.  Maybe a rotated faded flag with one stripe being a series of vertical ones and zeros in ascii terminal green?

it’s better than an arboreal butt plug.

Edited by Goredho

8 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Might sub in "Come and Take It" for Betsey Ross

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Also, I get the blue line flag, but what does the red line one represent.  That was new to me. 

The blue line American flag looks like an American flag that hasn’t been unlocked yet in a video game. It also looks like flag desecration.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

The Gadsden flag is cool AF and the basis for about the only cool thing in soccer ever. This Nike logo from around the 2010s. And now it’s toxic. I thought it should be the official USOC logo with the snake curling through the Olympic Rings for all sports. 

image.jpeg.b5cbf71d4f9e174bb6435e739e342d2a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Gadsden flag is cool AF and the basis for about the only cool thing in soccer ever. This Nike logo from around the 2010s. And now it’s toxic. I thought it should be the official USOC logo with the snake curling through the Olympic Rings for all sports. 

image.jpeg.b5cbf71d4f9e174bb6435e739e342d2a.jpeg

Everyone in the world has treaded on US soccer. In fact, the US soccer flag should have a picture of South Austin’s mom, because it gets used by everyone 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Goredho said:

That makes me wonder, who did the original revolutionaries borrow their flags and symbols from?  If you have to rip-off flags and symbols from another era for your current revolution, what does that say about what you are fighting for?  It seems like it might be a tell that there isn't anything of substance at the heart of your movement.

If they want to rip off a flag, there's already a perfect one for them.

image.png.27e72efdc0714cb5d1b44b4ddf2a9197.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Of course you like Big Bang Theory.

I also think you’re an idiot who doesn’t know shit about football and if I ever see you post anything that doesn’t make you sound like a moron then I’ll let you know.

😛

I also think you’re an idiot who doesn’t know shit about football and if I ever see you post anything that doesn’t make you sound like a moron then I’ll let you know.

If you ever think I post something worthwhile, that’s probably time for me to head out to pasture.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

why does anyone care about this?

A csb if you will allow. I have a neighbor flying the American flag upside down over a Trump 2020 flag. Do I have a reason to care about this? Yes, yes I do.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

why does anyone care about this?

The only part I care about is them co-opting the Gadsen flag. It's bad ass and historical and is now tarnished by these fuckheads. I had never seen this pinetree flag before so I don't really care other than just more evidence that our country is going to shit with these morons holding so much fucking power.