Gun Control or some other bullshit

fattyflattie

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i was making a point about the minority, or better put, the representatives of the minority who have been able to abuse the system to affect so many common sense and popular policies within the us legislature.

Each time these new "common sense" policies come out and the initial support is high, it always craters  when the details and specifics come out and the blame then goes to the "lobby" industry, as if people are too stupid to realize that they don't want a national gun registry....which is of course the end game of all of these.  Which again, get us full circle to why so many owners don't reply to those stupid surveys in the first place.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Lol, the study affirmed millions of uses each year.  That was the question.  My quote you also included. Even if it is 100,00+ cases each year, that is a staggering number of instances of self defense.  

No, the CDC study does not affirm millions of uses each year.  You are are a literal moron who does not understand what you are sharing with others.

The CDC study presented the findings from a range of studies.  Your data comes from one of those studies.  That particular study was published in 2001 by Gary Kleck.  That citation is:

Kleck, G. 2001a. The frequency of defensive gun use: Evidence and disinformation. In Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control, edited by G. Kleck and D. B. Kates. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books. Pp. 213-284.

So, the CDC does not affirm jack shit.  Nothing you have shared is "according to the CDC."  Kleck in 2001 provides your hopeful affirmation.  Go to school and learn how to understand what the fuck you read before sharing with others.  Dumb ass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

No, the CDC study does not affirm millions of uses each year.  You are are a literal moron who does not understand what you are sharing with others.

The CDC study presented the findings from a range of studies.  Your data comes from one of those studies.  That particular study was published in 2001 by Gary Kleck.  That citation is:

Kleck, G. 2001a. The frequency of defensive gun use: Evidence and disinformation. In Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control, edited by G. Kleck and D. B. Kates. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books. Pp. 213-284.

So, the CDC does not affirm jack shit.  Nothing you have shared is "according to the CDC."  Kleck in 2001 provides your hopeful affirmation.  Go to school and learn how to understand what the fuck you read before sharing with others.  Dumb ass.

And another study found the number close to 100,000.....so again, even if we use that number it's still a shit tom of incidents each year.  Which was the goddamn point.  

35 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

100% agreed.  Not sure anyone is saying otherwise.  Further, I've said repeatedly open carry is fucking stupid as it gives up the one advantage a CHL carrier has:  the element of surprise.  

The ONLY time it might make sense is during hunting season, I will often carry on my hip when hog hunting and we go straight to the processor or a store.  I will sometimes leave it on, like at the gas station or grabbing something inside or to use the bathroom.  Never in a fucking bar (which is illegal anyways)

Funny epilogue to last night.  We were sharing dog pictures with our waiter (somehow we found out he had mini-Aussies too).  DDD Mom and DDD (who each have one) inquired  whether they could bring theirs to the patio.  The waiter started hemming and hawing and saying we'd need to check with the manager, and I commented that I could see that at least we could bring our guns without issue.  Waiter erupted laughing and was like, "I know, right?"  and commented about what an asshole that guy was (who was still there at the time).

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

And another study found the number close to 100,000.....so again, even if we use that number it's still a shit tom of incidents each year.  Which was the goddamn point.  

The point is your inability to comprehend what progun propaganda puts in front of you and your inability to critically evaluate.  It is the same point with your wild Fauci conspiracies.  

Someone told you "the CDC said 500,000 to 3 million events of defensive gun uses!!!!"  Yeah, no. Not even close.  It came from a dude's fucking book.  

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

The point is your inability to comprehend what progun propaganda puts in front of you and your inability to critically evaluate.  It is the same point with your wild Fauci conspiracies.  

Someone told you "the CDC said 500,000 to 3 million events of defensive gun uses!!!!"  Yeah, no. Not even close.  It came from a dude's fucking book.  

You are a broken fucking record.  Additional source material put the number lower.  What you can't or won't acknowledge is even at the lowest number:  100,000, that is a fuck ton of self-defense instances.  And those or the ones we know about.  

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Funny epilogue to last night.  We were sharing dog pictures with our waiter (somehow we found out he had mini-Aussies too).  DDD Mom and DDD (who each have one) inquired  whether they could bring theirs to the patio.  The waiter started hemming and hawing and saying we'd need to check with the manager, and I commented that I could see that at least we could bring our guns without issue.  Waiter erupted laughing and was like, "I know, right?"  and commented about what an asshole that guy was (who was still there at the time).

Wonder if he was a sheriff or deputy shariff?  They are in plain clothes a lot more than patrol-level LEO's are have such status and influence in their little fiefdom's 

18 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

This is pretty much a microcosm of all arguments on this website and in life in general. One side is too stupid to understand the data. 

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

You are a broken fucking record.  Additional source material put the number lower.  What you can't or won't acknowledge is even at the lowest number:  100,000, that is a fuck ton of self-defense instances.  And those or the ones we know about.  

I'll be a broken record, until you start understanding the information you read and stop presenting lies and misinformation.  That will likely require you removing the propaganda from your information bubble.  

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

BabaYaga is now officially the dumbest poster in the history of CR.

Yep.  Such crazy theories that even Jon Stewart is publicly clowning on the absurdity of not questioning the lab leak theory or the even crazier idea that if you want to expand the background check process, you might want want to shore up the broken process being used now that has allowed multiple background misses on people that were not flagged, bought guns illegibly, and then went on to commit crimes.  

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

When reading information, it is important to read all the sentences, and try to understand them as a whole. 100,000 is a lot, but........................................

Even when defensive use of guns is effective in averting death or injury for the gun user in cases of crime, it is still possible that keeping a gun in the home or carrying a gun in public—concealed or open carry—may have a different net effect on the rate of injury. For example, if gun ownership raises the risk of suicide, homicide, or the use of weapons by those who invade the homes of gun owners, this could cancel or outweigh the beneficial effects of defensive gun use (Kellermann et al., 1992, 1993, 1995).

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

When reading information, it is important to read all the sentences, and try to understand them as a whole. 100,000 is a lot, but........................................

Never said it didn't - the whole point was in reference to the question about reporting on the instance rate us CDL usage.  

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

it is still possible that keeping a gun in the home or carrying a gun in public—concealed or open carry—may have a different net effect on the rate of injury

Possible?  May have an effect?  This is superfluous.  The point was in trying to quantify CHL self defense usage rates.  

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

So is there an active shooter or are you guys just too fucking stupid to talk in the gun control thread? 

To keep things topical i fired a pistol in the air while reading these last few arguments. Some of us actually care about the rules. But if things aren't more responsibly moderated my roof is gonna be completely fucked. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

What about a passive shooter? Ya know, shoots a kid, eats some grapes, checks his messages, shoots someone else…

This raises an interesting question.....how much time has to pass between shooting people in order to turn a "mass shooter" into a "serial killer?"  Like, if a guy murders someone every hour or so with a gun, is he a mass shooter, or a serial killer?  Has anyone run the numbers on this?

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This raises an interesting question.....how much time has to pass between shooting people in order to turn a "mass shooter" into a "serial killer?"  Like, if a guy murders someone every hour or so with a gun, is he a mass shooter, or a serial killer?  Has anyone run the numbers on this?

A mass shooter might not kill, so wouldn't it be a serial shooter? Is a mass shooter just serially shooting people at the fastest rate? These are the questions we have to ask, people!

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Wonder if he was a sheriff or deputy shariff?  They are in plain clothes a lot more than patrol-level LEO's are have such status and influence in their little fiefdom's 

I would have felt a lot safer if he'd have kept a bullet in his pocket instead of a spare magazine on his belt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I would have felt a lot safer if he'd have kept a bullet in his pocket instead of a spare magazine on his belt.

Or he could have just left the whole rig in the goddamn car.  He's at a bar.  He knows better.  

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, no we're not.  And trying to sprinkle words like "common sense" and "reasonable" don't hide the fact that you want to ban them, register them, and restrict them.  Fine.  I accept your position, but don't try to obfuscate your point that you want registrations and confiscations.  

Banning them is impractical. But registering them? Hell yeah and the ammo that makes them lethal.

I’ve been meaning to start a thread on all the mass BJJ killings that are happening.  And the accidental BJJ killings thread. And the broken bottle and knife deaths from >5 feet away thread.  Epidemics, all. 

Sorry about some of those. It was my understanding that it was my right to do so.
  • Hook 'Em 1

we are a young, violent, impulsive nation with a brief history rife with brutality, mendacity, and slaughter. we have been bred since birth to believe we are exceptional, we are better, we are badasses. we have moments of introspection and adjustment, but they are without fail matched with savage and bloody resistance. we eat manifest destiny for breakfast and have shots of 'Merica!! for a nightcap. 

we lament our love affair with murderous toys, but our society is exactly what it was bred to be.

image.png.a0d3de80eeb31cb5a3f4d030332fc202.png

this is our American DNA.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve been meaning to start a thread on all the mass BJJ killings that are happening.  And the accidental BJJ killings thread. And the broken bottle and knife deaths from >5 feet away thread.  Epidemics, all. 

2019 - 600 deaths.  Attribution:  hands and feet

2019 - 364 deaths.  Attribution:  evil black rifles....slightly behind hammers and other blunt weapons at 397

what is an "evil" black rifle?  Seems like long-gun deaths are slightly higher than 364/year.  Unless these are ill-tempered black rifles...perhaps with freakin' lasers on their heads?  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

what is an "evil" black rifle?  Seems like long-gun deaths are slightly higher than 364/year.  Unless these are ill-tempered black rifles...perhaps with freakin' lasers on their heads?  

Of course it "seems" like there are more if you are taking in all the media talking points, but the statistics tell a different story.  Rifles are one of the most infrequently used platforms for homicides, shootings, etc.  

It's those evil black, high capacity, assault hammers you have to watch out for.....

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's those evil black, high capacity, assault hammers you have to watch out for.....

About 10 years ago at this little dive I would occasionally hide in, some dude got beat to death with a hammer.     Another that I frequented weekly got shot in the head on Christmas Eve, trying to mack on the wrong guys sister.   The hammer one always disturbed the shit out of me.   

58 minutes ago, mchookem said:

we are a young, violent, impulsive nation with a brief history rife with brutality, mendacity, and slaughter. we have been bred since birth to believe we are exceptional, we are better, we are badasses. we have moments of introspection and adjustment, but they are without fail matched with savage and bloody resistance. we eat manifest destiny for breakfast and have shots of 'Merica!! for a nightcap. 

we lament our love affair with murderous toys, but our society is exactly what it was bred to be.

It's no surprise that a nation founded by a shitload of people who were driven out of their original countries for being assholes or being a burden on their homeland would produce a lot of assholes down through the generations.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought you weren't allowed to bring weapons into bars in Texas?  

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I think the gun owner=small penis joke is lazy and played out...BUT I'll make an exception for open carriers. What a bunch of pussies and what a stupid law.

Why do you two hate our freedoms?

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

BabaYaga is now officially the dumbest poster in the history of CR.

I will refrain from the word dumb. This person is wildly misinformed on a variety of subjects though. I stated this recently when the CR got an introduction into the mind of this poster and that is that I believe they read the website abovetopsecret.com regularly. The talking points are exactly what I would expect to find on there. Combine that with feedback encouraging a belief in conspiracies from echo chambers filled with massive amounts of misinformation and conspiratorial beliefs and you get several million people exactly like this living in our population. It’s one heckuva issue for us as a society right now to have to confront. 

Edited by UpperWestside

13 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

echo chambers filled with massive amounts of misinformation and conspiratorial beliefs and you get several million people exactly like this living in our population.

Weapons grade fucking irony coming from the CR twats...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Of course it "seems" like there are more if you are taking in all the media talking points, but the statistics tell a different story.  Rifles are one of the most infrequently used platforms for homicides, shootings, etc.  

lol "platforms"

What kind of god damned nerd talks like that?

On the bars thing, they must get 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages for onsite consumption to be classified as a bar. If they sell food, they are classified as a restaurant. Many bars are technically restaurants, and many proper bars started selling food during the pandemic to get reclassified as restaurants so they could reopen. In Texas at least.