Texas vs Tennessee: College World Series (Elimination)

chase25

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

For as rough as this game started, to maybe only have to use two pitchers and not burn anybody else for Thursday is fucking amazing.  

getting your closer 1 inning with 1 day off afterwards isn't "burning" in my mind- it's just solid way of getting his feet wet. I get what you are saying- this is damn near best possible outcome from a pitching standpoint as you probably have starter and reliever both available Friday- if Friday is a thing.  Then Madden on Saturday.  That's really really really high quality pitching options to have from the losers bracket.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

How the heck do I, who haven't watched but one game all season, know that the middle reliever is the middle reliever for a reason and the genius in Omaha wearing the university colors does not?  

There is a reason he is not the closer.  If he were the closer, of course he would be expected to pitch the ninth.  

I don't care if Witt throws a double play grounder right now.  It was the wrong call to send him out for the ninth. 

If it was a one run game you would be right. It wasn’t and you aren’t. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

getting your closer 1 inning with 1 day off afterwards isn't "burning" in my mind- it's just solid way of getting his feet wet. I get what you are saying- this is damn near best possible outcome from a pitching standpoint as you probably have starter and reliever both available Friday- if Friday is a thing.  Then Madden on Saturday.  That's really really really high quality pitching options to have from the losers bracket.  

Nixon would have been fine on Thursday.  But when your other reliever, Witt, is missing but the great Vols hitters are still hitting underneath the ball in the 9th...you ride it out.  Pierce sees that and made the right call.  Nixon is gonna throw plenty of innings before this week is out.  He will be called upon to dig way down inside for more pitches,

We're on our way.