Texas vs Tennessee: College World Series (Elimination)

chase25

Just now, wood said:

The pick with a catcher's mitt, for starters, and the presence of mind to stretch for the ball without losing the plate ... then the strike to first. It was the definition of clutch.

Just now, Cajun said:

Tough angle, yeah, kinda.  But it was in the dirt, the pressure's on, there's a runner bearing down, and he's got a fucking pizza dough for a glove.

That's why.

He made it look pedestrian.  Go try it.  It ain't

And that. That was some man shit there 

Just now, Fletch said:

Everything about it was tough. Very very rarely do you see 5-2-3 double plays look that easy. That was some mlb level shit 

And this!

There is no such thing as an "easy" 5-2-3. 

Just like aggy CWS championships - doesn't exist.

• Hook 'Em 6

26 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Good texag comments....this never gets old:

For a CWS game, I'm surprised by the poor officiating. Not pulling for either team, just watching because I love collegiate sports and the drama of high stakes competition.

Play at plate in the bottom of the 4th should've never been called safe on the field to begin with. When a ball beats a runner by that much, most good umpires are going to call an out unless it's something that would obviously be over-turned on replay or is obvious from the stands. As a result, home plate umpire comes across looking like he's got an agenda. Pretty clear that he was looking for the slightest piece of evidence that the runner could've been safe and consequently it can't be over-turned due to inconclusive camera footage.

Third base umpire doesn't need to be the first one to run across the field to the 1B dugout to eject someone either, especially if it was for just slamming their first down on the railing for a close 3-2 pitch. If it's that egregious, the 1B or HP umpire will take care of it. These umpires are acting like fans came to see them; it's a bad look imo.

Watching how the calls all just happen to go tu's way reminds me why we NEVER want to play them again in anything. Absolutely loathe them and their crappy fans.

Their coverage of the sip fans is insufferable.

Tennessee sh@t the bed so tu beats another SEC East team but still hasn't beat a SEC West team including A&M.

6-0 and 8-4. Not the same Tennessee team we have seen all season. Can't help but think Vitello has other things on his mind. Hopefully MState does the SEC proud tonight. Somebody just finish Texas please!!!!

The problem is that these people are allowed to breed as many times as they want.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

I mean, seriously, just put on a catcher's mit an have somebody throw you short hops.  Try to backhand those.  Forget the other 10 high stress variables, just try that.

You'll have your understanding of how badass that play was by Silas.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

I mean, seriously, just put on a catcher's mit an have somebody throw you short hops.  Try to backhand those.  Forget the other 10 high stress variables, just try that.

Then make a perfect throw to first within like a half a second 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

yep. with a guy throwing as hard as he can from about 60 feet but not telling you where the throw will be, standing straight up, with a bunch gear and a mask on.

• Hook 'Em 2

Great game. Glad I stuck around. Our defense was outstanding. Fun to watch. We looked more like ourselves, working pitch counts and hitting for contact- again. Love watching this team, at any moment we can bust a game open. Or not. That is baseball. Witt was outstanding.

MSU certainly travels well. Hat tip. I generally would rather hang with locals, others teams or even a random lightpost, but they arent piggy level trash and most have been cool. The locals are where it's at tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

Dear aggy, we have won more national championships in Omaha than your school has won games in Omaha.

We have AVERAGED more wins per trip to Omaha than they have TOTAL wins in Omaha in their entire pathetic existence.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

39 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Sorry you missed Teagarden.

Taylor T was a frickin' beast behind the plate and at the plate.  He was fun to watch and one of the best Longhorn backstops ever.

Silas has the chance to be that special.  He's damn good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another thing that can’t be understated. Obviously Texas had their backs against the wall going in but they also were outright embarrassed offensively against miss st, setting a record in Omaha for SO. The fight the team showed after being down a quick 2-0 was awesome to see. Not a ton of teams would have shown up they way Texas just did.  

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Texas did something today no aggy has done in 28 years. L-O-L 

That was our first win in Omaha in 7 years, that's  a drought for Texas baseball. But yes, aggie is somehow a "traditional power" lol. 

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I haven't seen any real mention of the gear. Catchers are walking around like knights with armor. Silas played that like he was playing second base with zero gear. Absolutely clutch, especially the pick on the short hop you mention.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Tough angle, yeah, kinda.  But it was in the dirt, the pressure's on, there's a runner bearing down, and he's got a fucking pizza dough for a glove.   That's why.   He made it look pedestrian.  Go try it.  It ain't

Outstanding Cajun...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm trying to remember the last time Texas fans broke out en masse to moan about an A&M win in . . . anything unrelated to UT.  I mean, it's almost always just scorn and laughter, because we all know that the roller coaster is baked in, so it's usually great schadenfreude to see Aggies get their hopes up.  We're always right.  Even this year, they couldn't make the playoff.  Lulz.

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

No silly. They want us to because we are SEC West. 

Oh wait. that makes you hate us more even though I can't stand them...

But did they beat you? They beat us. So that would make them national champs.

i don’t hate y’all that much or you in general but I do get sailor-mouthed around here against opponents who grace us with their presence. 

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm trying to remember the last time Texas fans broke out en masse to moan about an A&M win in . . . anything unrelated to UT.  I mean, it's almost always just scorn and laughter, because we all know that the roller coaster is baked in, so it's usually great schadenfreude to see Aggies get their hopes up.  We're always right.  Even this year, they couldn't make the playoff.  Lulz.

The only thing I can think of is when they beat Alabama with JFF. God, we still hear about that game. 

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

If this was at Disch-Falk and middle of the season I would be incorrect.  But, this is Omaha, and I am right for another reason.  Unless the closer in question has pitched in Omaha before the huge crowds and is 100% familiar with the mound and surroundings, then he needs a chance to get adjusted to the surroundings.  Every park has its little idiosyncrasies.  I don't think Nixon has pitched in Omaha before a huge crowd before, so he needed to come out to pitch the ninth to get used to the surroundings before he is thrown into the fire on Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday.  

No, you are still wrong but it’s ok to admit it.

Witt has never pitched in Omaha before. He seemed to do ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, to be fair, they don't win much of consequence, so....

1 hour ago, allrightallrightallright said:

I know jack shit about baseball, it did look routine was it tough because of the angle of throw to first?

Already been covered but that was about as special of a defensive play as you will ever see. I had goose bumps after that play.  That glove is not made for fielding, that gear isn’t made for fielding, that throw was off by a fair amount, keep your foot on the plate - no bag to feel your way, just a flat surface to maintain contact with, then you gotta move out of the way and throw down to first. Never mind the fact that while the catchers practice defense they don’t practice double plays at home like they practice throwing out a steal or blocking pass balls.  Then add the no outs bases loaded CWS context and it was nails.

• Hook 'Em 7

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We have AVERAGED more wins per trip to Omaha than they have TOTAL wins in Omaha in their entire pathetic existence.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Taylor T was a frickin' beast behind the plate and at the plate.  He was fun to watch and one of the best Longhorn backstops ever.

Silas has the chance to be that special.  He's damn good.

Taylor was allowed to call games he was very special.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Out of all the things I’m worried about, Nixon and his lack of Omaha experience isn’t one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Another June, another College World Series with aggy reduced to cheering for their incestuous SEC brethren (who all think they're fucking weirdos) and anyone who plays Big Brother.  Turdition.

I always enjoy Aggie CWS fun facts.

Kurt Cobain was still alive the last time A&M won a game in Omaha. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I am not making myself clear.  Nixon is the one who needs a warmup inning in Omaha, before he has to come in on Thursday evening with the bases loaded and the tying run on 2nd base.  Had he pitched the one inning today, he would have felt very comfortable in the environment.  Meanwhile, by the time we get to Thursday all of the batters for all of the teams are used to the ballpark.  

The exceptionally smart coach is a coach who can prepare his team for future situations while at the same time winning the present game.  Witt is not available for an unknown number of games, but would have been available sooner had he not pitched the ninth.   Nixon is available Thursday and would have still been available Thursday if he had pitched today.  Nixon will be available Thursday, Friday, etc. for one inning, because he is the closer.   

My position is that the exceptional coach could have preserved more of Witt for future games while at the same time making the transition much easier for Nixon in his first game out of the pen.  I am an optimist, we are going to a Friday game for sure.  I am not giving Pierce an F, simply a missed opportunity, call it a B+ instead of an A.  It doesn't make much difference, unless Nixon comes out cold on Thursday or Friday night and has trouble.  

If Nixon has trouble on Thursday or Friday, we're almost certainly done.  

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

words 

Stop Mr. “I’ve watched AN ENTIRE game this season!!!!” We know what you’re trying to say. The problem is what you’re trying to say isn’t exactly correct. Witt and Madden and Stevens and Hansen never pitched in Omaha before. How’d they do? 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

I am not making myself clear.  Nixon is the one who needs a warmup inning in Omaha, before he has to come in on Thursday evening with the bases loaded and the tying run on 2nd base.  Had he pitched the one inning today, he would have felt very comfortable in the environment.  Meanwhile, by the time we get to Thursday all of the batters for all of the teams are used to the ballpark.  

You are wildly overrating the familiarity with the ballpark angle.  What's much more important is the pressure angle, and there wouldn't have been much pressure on Nixon today with a 4-run lead.  Also, Witt had already thrown enough pitches that he was done until Friday and possibly Saturday either way.  If we really want the most out of Nixon, and we do, the best use of him is to have him very well rested for possible use in three straight games starting Thursday, or for use in multiple innings on Thursday if it's tied after 8 or something.  You don't use your closer in a 4-run game because you assume he won't be comfortable until he gets used to the ballpark.  That's actually beyond silly.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Do you want your closer to gain every advantage possible as he comes into a tight situation Thursday night or not?  Feeling comfortable in the environment is a very important part of performing in any venue, any occupation.  The outcome of the game was 99% not in doubt.  The future is the unknown.  

There is something to be said about on the mound experience. I don’t think you pull a guy who is pitching well and already toast for a quick return just to get that experience. Pitch counts matter too, and even 12-15 pitches count as an outing when you add in the mound warm up and warm up in the pen. so while I’d like him to toss a few before it matters I think the right decision was made. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Do you want your closer to gain every advantage possible as he comes into a tight situation Thursday night or not?  Feeling comfortable in the environment is a very important part of performing in any venue, any occupation.  The outcome of the game was 99% not in doubt.  The future is the unknown.  

Neg finger twitching.  Instead of making 3 long posts repeating yourself, try reading the responses and learning something.

Also some of y'all are way too hung up on Nixon is the CLOSER.  Witt/Q/Nixon are basically co-aces.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

This might be true if there weren't countless examples of people performing well in their first action in a ballpark, as has been pointed out to you.

Yes, there's something to be said for having been out there before.  But using up 10 to 20 pitches on your closer in a week that might have a bunch of games in a row because you're afraid he'll be garbage just because he's never pitched there before doesn't make any sense at all.  You do realize that Nixon's a freshman, so everywhere he pitched this season was somewhere he'd never pitched before, right?

Edited by TexArcher

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Dude…..just stop

• Hook 'Em 2