Texas vs Tennessee: College World Series (Elimination)

chase25

Since we're talking about experience, everyone except for Zubia (and DJ, if he ever plays) are getting playing time in Omaha for the first season. This is virtually a brand new team compared to the mishmash of Augie leftovers and transfers that Pierce plugged in in 2018. Many of these guys will be back next year.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

Say if Nixon was to come in the 9th to close the game so he can get “comfortable”. First batter gets a walk, no big deal. Next batter gets a bloop single, ok well up by four runs still. Third batter jacks one over the fence and the score is 8-7 and Nixon gets pulled. Texas still ends up winning the game but hey, at least Nixon has pitched in the environment and knows what to expect in his next chance. Nixon is a bad mother fucker and doesn’t need to get comfortable or any pitcher for that matter. 

Witt was absolutely dealing Tennessee and wanting to chance screwing that up for another guy to get “comfortable” doesn’t make sense. 4 runs in Omaha is not a for sure thing, never has been and never will be. Hell Texas couldn’t  hit water if it fell out of a bucket going into the ninth but still almost managed to win. 

Edited by DoneWithit
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Poor Tennessee.  They were just too high strung.

They were no daisy at all.

I am beginning to think that they believed a little of their own bull for Gm. 1 and couldn't unfuck themselves.

Because they sure seemed to unfuck themselves today.

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Say if Nixon was to come in the 9th to close the game so he can get “comfortable”. First batter gets a walk, no big deal. Next batter gets a bloop single, ok well up by four runs still. Third batter jacks one over the fence and the score is 8-7 and Nixon gets pulled. Texas still ends up winning the game but hey, at least Nixon has pitched in the environment and knows what to expect in his next chance. Nixon is a bad mother fucker and doesn’t need to get comfortable or any pitcher for that matter. 

Witt was absolutely dealing Tennessee and wanting to chance screwing that up for another guy to get “comfortable” doesn’t make sense. 4 runs in Omaha is not a for sure thing, never has been and never will be. Hell Texas could hit water if it fell out of a bucket going into the ninth but still almost managed to win. 

Idk dude. This guy watched a game this year. May wanna listen

God just the whole conversation is so stupid it hurts. If Nixon gets lit up Thursday or Friday or whatever it won’t be because of lack of experience. Maybe like 1% of it would be nerves but it would most likely be cause he just doesn’t have it or State/Virginia just get to him. You know, baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

my only reason for going to Nixon in the 9th was that IMO it was a sure win with him and Witt was really extended.  Pierce thought it was worth the risk and we may need Nixon for 2+ tomorrow.  

Yes but if Witt is done for what 4 days now and can finish then save the pitch count. Right?

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

my only reason for going to Nixon in the 9th was that IMO it was a sure win with him and Witt was really extended.  Pierce thought it was worth the risk and we may need Nixon for 2+ tomorrow.  

Yeah I assumed Nixon was coming in when we went into the 9th. Good work, Witt. We got some bad mother fuckers in our pen 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Yes but if Witt is done for what 4 days now and can finish then save the pitch count. Right?

Absolutely.  This is what I was saying on the last page.  You also don't yank a pitcher who's dominating until you have a reason.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Just now, Fletch said:

Yeah I assumed Nixon was coming in when we went into the 9th. Good work, Witt. We got some bad mother fuckers in our pen 

had it been a 3 run lead I think we would have seen Nixon tbh.  he rolled the dice with the 4 run lead and it worked.

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Absolutely.  This is what I was saying on the last page.  You also don't yank a pitcher who's dominating until you have a reason.

Yeah I can see why he might have made the change but he had room to let Witt get into a little bit of trouble. I don’t recall the inning but it could a been score one run or when one gets on base etc you pull him. I actually liked the call at the time while y’all were bantering back and forth about it.  We are in great shape but thurs, fri, sat won’t be easy and saving arms to get through that gauntlet is everything right now. 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

People forget that Nixon wasn’t a true closer till about half way through the season. He came in the 7th, 8th, 9th or when ever you needed him late. You have it right in that Pierce was pushing Witt to his limits bc he knew that Nixon can go 2+ if need be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You’ve also got the fact that Witt was in domination mode. Just mortal combat finish them. There are lots of examples of over thinking it and the opponent comes back. 
Agreed. You could feel the mojo. If Pierce fucked with that, y'all would have went nuts.
At the game, it felt like Pierce read all yalls bitching, and adjusted.
Or
He's pretty -dance with who brung you and the pitching was better against MSU
Or a little bit of both. That's what I saw ...

To give the guy a break I’m still absorbing the apparent rise on a rising fastball that just falls less quickly but doesn’t really rise. 
Well don't apply for batting coach please.

Those pitches looked from my vantage to just keep climbing, yet the catcher was normal height. It was just brutal
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Born to Run said:

Well don't apply for batting coach please. emoji3.png

Those pitches looked from my vantage to just keep climbing, yet the catcher was normal height. It was just brutal

I’ll stick to pitchers and catchers of the 12u team without a parent coach and no protected players.  That’s my jam. The losers we just want to win one game before the season is out. 

25 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

People forget that Nixon wasn’t a true closer till about half way through the season. He came in the 7th, 8th, 9th or when ever you needed him late. You have it right in that Pierce was pushing Witt to his limits bc he knew that Nixon can go 2+ if need be. 

right.  he hasn't gone more than 2 but this isn't like MLB. I'm of the opinion that  all these guys can go 3+ innings if normal rest(assuming they aren't getting in real trouble), can go 1 on 2 days rest, 2 on 3 days rest.

we have everyone available except Madden and Witt tomorrow.  I think Stevens could go a couple of batters if you have a lefty lefty situation.

Edited by dcar00

even better than we don't even play baseball tomorrow.  So extra day of rest, everyone!  

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

right.  he hasn't gone more than 2 but this isn't like MLB. I'm of the opinion that  all these guys can go 3+ innings if normal rest(assuming they aren't getting in real trouble), can go 1 on 2 days rest, 2 on 3 days rest.

we have everyone available except Madden and Witt tomorrow.

One of the reasons we fired Tom Herman is because he would invariably veer away from the hot hand and drive us into malaise of playing not to lose. Bijan's kicking ass early? Sit him down. Sam's connecting with up-tempo? Slow things down. We're coming back with momentum into overtimes 1, 2, and 3 against ou? Kick the extra point. 

Glad Pierce didn't turtle up last night. Witt was a demon...don't mess with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

One of the reasons we fired Tom Herman is because he would invariably veer away from the hot hand and drive us into malaise of playing not to lose. Bijan's kicking ass early? Sit him down. Sam's connecting with up-tempo? Slow things down. We're coming back with momentum into overtimes 1, 2, and 3 against ou? Kick the extra point. 

Glad Pierce didn't turtle up last night. Witt was a demon...don't mess with that. 

Yeah, I know it coulda gone sideways on us this afternoon...but you don't throw Nixon just to throw Nixon.  We have a few other relievers like Gordon, Wenzel, and Shifflet that are gonna have to go for us.  Kubichek is gonna figure in heavily this long weekend.  Madden may have to go on short rest, Stevens may be called on for long relief.  Every team will face these challenges this weekend, good news is our deeper guys are better.  

But what many "post-season only" baseball fans don't realize...baseball is just as much about momentum as basketball and football.  It's hard to see because it's not the immediate turnover in football or transition quick offense in hoops after a steal/block...but it's just as important in baseball.  And just as detrimental to the other team if you can sense it and they can't (so much subtle in hardball than other sports, but even more potent).  Witt was not just dealing, his hanging misses on the movement of fastball on righties and breaking ball to lefties...they were still swinging under it.  Defense was still clutch and mechanical as ever.  Witt's rhythm was not being disturbed, we were still getting baserunners and long pitch count at-bats (even though nothing was scoring after awhile).  The Vols had already made their mistakes and were stewing on it in the dugout, you could see it on their faces.  Even with late-inning baserunners, they didn't have much fight.  Witt's changeup which is lethal, was so rarely called upon but so effective, none of us even remember it being thrown in the last 3 innings even though it was prevalent. 

UT had no mound visits, no C/IF consultations, no bitching to the ump...what you saw was a team that knew it had the momentum...it was palpable...and they let it ride on pitching, defense, and just enough at the plate to keep the Vols shuffling bullpen warmups 'n shit.  What you saw in those last 3-4 innings was a 3-act play that had actually ended at intermission, the director just let it play out for next time.

Edited by Lobo

I would think there are no choices except Fristoe or Harding (Leftie).  Good news is both don't last very long and are not accustomed to being called upon to carry 7 innings in a high stakes game with little bullpen help on the way.  Bad news is both rely almost exclusively on strikeouts.  So yeah, binary Lobo here..........we win 10-3 or we strikeout 17 times on Thursday.  Not gonna be anything in the middle.  but I like our chances.  Feel a shitton better if MSU puts up some fight and gets this thing to 4-3 and burns another piutcher or two.

Take this pussy bullshit pulling witt in favor of anything especially after he put the fucking game away to the stupid whining loser section of the board...oh right there isn't one. 

Buncha armchair 1 game watching idiots up in this bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I would think there are no choices except Fristoe or Harding (Leftie).  Good news is both don't last very long and are not accustomed to being called upon to carry 7 innings in a high stakes game with little bullpen help on the way.  Bad news is both rely almost exclusively on strikeouts.  So yeah, binary Lobo here..........we win 10-3 or we strikeout 17 times on Thursday.  Not gonna be anything in the middle.  but I like our chances.  Feel a shitton better if MSU puts up some fight and gets this thing to 4-3 and burns another piutcher or two.

well you got half your wish.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Well don't apply for batting coach please. emoji3.png

Yeah some guys say it's impossible for the ball to rise, but that's bullshit. Anything will rise with enough lift.