Texas vs Tennessee: College World Series (Elimination)

chase25

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Take this pussy bullshit pulling witt in favor of anything especially after he put the fucking game away to the stupid whining loser section of the board...oh right there isn't one. 

Buncha armchair 1 game watching idiots up in this bitch. 

I dunno about a bunch, I think it was only one guy who watched one game. I mean it was a bunch, I’m sorry, don’t ban me.

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah some guys say it's impossible for the ball to rise, but that's bullshit. Anything will rise with enough lift.

It’s impossible. Physics won’t allow it absent insane spin and/or speeds not often achieved. 

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-physics-of-a-rising-fastball/

apparent rise however is a thing and why batters swing under and swear it rose on them when it really just fell less quickly than other fastballs.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

It’s impossible. Physics won’t allow it absent insane spin and/or speeds not often achieved. 

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-physics-of-a-rising-fastball/

It's not impossible. I've heard guys saying it's against the laws of physics for the ball to rise, which is complete nonsense. That's what I'm talking about. Does it take insane backspin? Of course.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

It's not impossible. I've heard guys saying it's against the laws of physics for the ball to rise, which is complete nonsense. That's what I'm talking about. Does it take insane backspin? Of course.

So, what would Chapman have to add to his already superhuman fastball to make it rise? Looking at the horizontal dashed line in the graph it appears that with the same spin (2360rpm) Aroldis would need to throw the ball at 113 mph. If instead he can maintain the speed, the vertical dashed line shows he could spin the ball at a rate of 3100 rpm.

Yes backspin is the key with speed, the current thinking is it’s not really within human capability. The article goes into the math it’s fascinating and acknowledges it’s theoretically possible (as did I in my post you quoted) but that’s not on the field.

If you know some who does throw a rising fastball show your math.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

What I'm talking about is guys saying it's 'impossible', not just for a pitcher to do, but in any circumstance. I.E. "a baseball can't rise". It's stupid. It's right up there with the dumbasses saying that the ball (or a car) accelerates when it hits wet grass.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

What I'm talking about is guys saying it's 'impossible', not just for a pitcher to do, but in any circumstance. It's stupid. It's right up there with the dumbasses saying that the ball (or a car) accelerates when it hits wet grass.

I didn’t say it was impossible I said it was impossible absent insane speed and spin that at least that mathematician says isn’t really likely among the best human pitchers.

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

I didn’t say it was impossible I said it was impossible absent insane speed and spin that at least that mathematician says isn’t really likely among the best human pitchers.

I wasn't referring to you saying it in the context that the dumbasses say it.

• Hook 'Em 1

You’re a bright baseball fella more so than me (on both counts) I agree with you.  I don’t think Bednar’s was actually rising at 92 mph though. If it was he was cheating because the spin needed would be ridiculous. 

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

So did you folks just hang out at RLM when on the 40? 

There is only one UT, and it is not those red neck MoFo's from the SEC. 

I was sleeping on the couches in the Texas Union missing classes in the home economics building. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, troph said:

I was sleeping on the couches in the Texas Union missing classes in the home economics building. 

Damn, should have been with me at the Posse East. 

Good discussion, just have not been able to follow the games with this group and nice to be back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, immamac said:

Take this pussy bullshit pulling witt in favor of anything especially after he put the fucking game away to the stupid whining loser section of the board...oh right there isn't one. 

Buncha armchair 1 game watching idiots up in this bitch. 

Yeah that happens like every season 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

The ball is on a downward trajectory due to the tilt.  It doesn’t actually rise but the tilt is countered by the backspin.  It other words it rises relative to the original tilt.  Guys’ swing planes are under it.  

Yeah that’s part of it too for sure the spin slows the fall and the measurement from the ground to ball is probably more at the plate than the measurement from the mound to the ball when it leaves his hand or at least that dynamic is at play.  Doesn’t really matter it sure as hell looked like a rising fastball the other night. 

What was the TU coach bent out of shape over? Just because your slackjawed fans boo at a pitch 4 inches off the plate called a ball doesn't mean you have a beef. Feel sorry for that guy's dog tonight. Get your shit together. 
According to half of this board, that is what Pierce was supposed to do in the last game about bad pitch calls.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So did you folks just hang out at RLM when on the 40? 

There is only one UT, and it is not those red neck MoFo's from the SEC. 

RLM is not the preferred nomenclature.  Math, Physics, and Astronomy building, please

53 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

What was the TU coach bent out of shape over? Just because your slackjawed fans boo at a pitch 4 inches off the plate called a ball doesn't mean you have a beef. Feel sorry for that guy's dog tonight. Get your shit together. 

I apologize...I didn't realize there were so many relatives of a Tennessee bench coach on this board. 

2 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I apologize...I didn't realize there were so many relatives of a Tennessee bench coach on this board. 

"Yeah, well that makes us practically related."  /DrexelofDetroit

1 hour ago, troph said:

You’re a bright baseball fella more so than me (on both counts) I agree with you.  I don’t think Bednar’s was actually rising at 92 mph though. If it was he was cheating because the spin needed would be ridiculous. 

the camera angle and location of the pitcher makes it appear to rise sometimes.  remember the pitcher is above the batter by 10 inches.

the laces with enough spin could cause the ball to rise.

would a perfectly smooth sphere rise with infinite spin in a vacuum?

4 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Do you want your closer to gain every advantage possible as he comes into a tight situation Thursday night or not?  Feeling comfortable in the environment is a very important part of performing in any venue, any occupation.  The outcome of the game was 99% not in doubt.  The future is the unknown.  

what if we bring him in for a non-save situation and he gets shelled and throws 25-30 meaningless pitches, assuming we hold on to win? you don't bring your closer in when you're up four just so he can "get familiar with the ballpark".