Texas vs Tennessee: College World Series (Elimination)

chase25

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what if we bring him in for a non-save situation and he gets shelled and throws 25-30 meaningless pitches, assuming we hold on to win? you don't bring your closer in when you're up four just so he can "get familiar with the ballpark". 

The only reason you need to bring Nixon into any game is that he is awesome. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Cam wants this so bad.

That at bat was one of my favorite plays of the game in a game where we had a lot of great plays. He just stepped up and ripped it - zero doubt. You can tell he's thinking "I don't give a fuck what you throw me I'm swinging and if you leave it up it's going over the fence".

Cross-sports but I get ET vibes from him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Arm angle is an entirely different subject. 

Just saying, a male pitcher can throw a rising ball.  It’s certainly rare, and the last submariner in MLB was probably when I was in elementary school, but it is a possibility.  If they are pitching conventionally you are certainly correct.  I  just like being a little contrarian from time to time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Just saying, a male pitcher can throw a rising ball.  It’s certainly rare, and the last submariner in MLB was probably when I was in elementary school, but it is a possibility.  If they are pitching conventionally you are certainly correct.  I  just like being a little contrarian from time to time.

You’re right, and it was noted when the convo came up yesterday for the first time. I was operating under the assumption we were talking traditional overhand pitching.  Physics are totally different when you are actually throwing upward to begin with. 

Ideally we have games coming up on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday. Someone smarter than me has probably already worked out who we would likely start on the mound for each of those games if we keep winning. What are we thinking? Ideally we'd find a way to go Madden, Stevens, Hansen on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But is there a way to line that up? 

Thursday (vs. Virginia) = Hansen

Friday (vs. MSU) = ?

Saturday (vs. MSU) = ?

Monday (TBD) = Madden?

Tuesday (TBD) = Stevens? 

Wednesday (TBD) = Hansen? 

1 minute ago, TexasPride10 said:

Ideally we have games coming up on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday. Someone smarter than me has probably already worked out who we would likely start on the mound for each of those games if we keep winning. What are we thinking? Ideally we'd find a way to go Madden, Stevens, Hansen on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But is there a way to line that up? 

Thursday (vs. Virginia) = Hansen

Friday (vs. MSU) = ?

Saturday (vs. MSU) = ?

Monday (TBD) = Madden?

Tuesday (TBD) = Stevens? 

Wednesday (TBD) = Hansen? 

Hansen on thursday

Stevens/witt on Friday 

madden on Saturday. 

johnny all staff Monday

hansen Tuesday 

madden Wednesday. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hansen on thursday

Stevens/witt on Friday 

madden on Saturday. 

johnny all staff Monday

hansen Tuesday 

madden Wednesday. 

Why wouldn't you flip Madden and Stevens/Witt? Seems like it lines up better, no? 

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Why wouldn't you flip Madden and Stevens/Witt? Seems like it lines up better, no? 

I’d want to keep Madden on as close to full rest as possible when we get the guy that struck us out 21 times who I imagine they save for Saturday. 
you’ve got to win 2 games and my guess is that’s the best way to do it. 
Stevens didn’t throw a lot of pitches, so...

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d want to keep Madden on as close to full rest as possible when we get the guy that struck us out 21 times who I imagine they save for Saturday. 
you’ve got to win 2 games and my guess is that’s the best way to do it. 
Stevens didn’t throw a lot of pitches, so...

Got it. I agree Stevens didn't throw a lot and he doesn't necessarily throw hard either, so he could probably go on shorter rest. I'm not sure about Witt's availability that soon after throwing, what, 60 pitches yesterday? That said, Bednar doesn't scare me that much. I really think our struggles were largely of our own creation and due to the shadows during the game. Bednar was pretty nasty the first three or four innings, but after that he looked hittable under normal conditions. We'll do better getting to see him a second time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Imo if we play fri and madden is ready he goes. Worry about sat after you win fri.

That's my preference, but I get what @Wulaw Horn is saying. I also think that if we are playing to win it all versus just getting to the championship series, Madden on Friday gets us the best chance because he'll have more rest for next Wednesday. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

That's my preference, but I get what @Wulaw Horn is saying. I also think that if we are playing to win it all versus just getting to the championship series, Madden on Friday gets us the best chance for that because he'll have more rest for next Wednesday. 

If we win mon we save madden for wed. If we lose monday madden goes on short rest or he is at least part of allstaff.

Getting ahead of myself but hey we're texas and this is surly.

Really hoping Hansen goes deep and we hit the cavs hard early.

• Hook 'Em 2

Look- I get the idea behind survive and advance. It’s just after we win a game in Omaha I don’t care about anything other than winning it all and pairing Stevens against their ace isn’t the best way to do that imo. Pete or Madden need to be that guy. Pete will rightly go Thursday, so...

I’m not pounding the table over this or anything- it’s just what I think I think of that makes sense. 
regardless, we are in very good shape arms wise for a team that went immediately into the losers bracket. 
also- if the goal is to win it all it’s very nice that Leiter got beat 1-0. It means if we face Vandy they won’t have the opportunity to go Rocker Leiter let’s hoist the trophy. That was huge.  A 3-0 Vandy with their aces rested would have been a motherfucker for us out of the losers bracket. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- I get the idea behind survive and advance. It’s just after we win a game in Omaha I don’t care about anything other than winning it all and pairing Stevens against their ace isn’t the best way to do that imo. Pete or Madden need to be that guy. Pete will rightly go Thursday, so...

I’m not pounding the table over this or anything- it’s just what I think I think of that makes sense. 
regardless, we are in very good shape arms wise for a team that went immediately into the losers bracket. 
also- if the goal is to win it all it’s very nice that Leiter got beat 1-0. It means if we face Vandy they won’t have the opportunity to go Rocker Leiter let’s hoist the trophy. That was huge.  A 3-0 Vandy with their aces rested would have been a motherfucker for us out of the losers bracket. 

sure. but I can tell you Pierce is thinking survive and advance(until we get to champ series) and he's also thinking I'm not leaving my ace on the sideline if he is any shape to go at all.  He absolutely considers Madden to be his ace.

Its just the way coaches think in these situations.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Got it. I agree Stevens didn't throw a lot and he doesn't necessarily throw hard either, so he could probably go on shorter rest. I'm not sure about Witt's availability that soon after throwing, what, 60 pitches yesterday? That said, Bednar doesn't scare me that much. I really think our struggles were largely of our own creation and due to the shadows during the game. Bednar was pretty nasty the first three or four innings, but after that he looked hittable under normal conditions. We'll do better getting to see him a second time. 

Witt threw 78.  Stevens went 58.  

• Hook 'Em 1