Cheap outdoor TV

We have a gazebo and would like to mount a smallish TV (32 inch or less).  It would be in the shade. I know outdoor TVs are expensive. Anyone use a regular TV outdoors?  My fear is that it won’t be bright enough and hard to see. I don’t know of outdoor TV are brighter or just weather resistant. I’m not opposed to having a quick mount and bringing the TV in when not in use so weather not really a concern. More the ability to see. 
If  anyone can recommend a true outdoor TV that isn’t 4x what a regular tv costs I’d love to hear recommendations. 
thanks 

26 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

We have a gazebo and would like to mount a smallish TV (32 inch or less).  It would be in the shade. I know outdoor TVs are expensive. Anyone use a regular TV outdoors?  My fear is that it won’t be bright enough and hard to see. I don’t know of outdoor TV are brighter or just weather resistant. I’m not opposed to having a quick mount and bringing the TV in when not in use so weather not really a concern. More the ability to see. 
If  anyone can recommend a true outdoor TV that isn’t 4x what a regular tv costs I’d love to hear recommendations. 
thanks 

Cheapest 4K (for brightness)you can find from walmart

• Hook 'Em 2

We mounted a regular indoor 50" to the corner of our pergola. Mount has a swinging arm that really for positioning and we anchored the sonos connect to it. No issues with brightness, especially in the shade. Stays outside year round under a weatherproof cover. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We mounted a regular indoor 50" to the corner of our pergola. Mount has a swinging arm that really for positioning and we anchored the sonos connect to it. No issues with brightness, especially in the shade. Stays outside year round under a weatherproof cover. 
Pergola?

You DO get rain on it?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What everyone else said, screw the concept of an “outdoor TV,” as long as it’s protected (gazebo has a solid roof), any TV will be fine. Get a set with built in Roku or Fire (Amazon has been selling Fire Toshibas with deep discounts for a week, Walmart has ONN with Roku, I don’t have Costco nearby, but others mentioned good options there). You can also get a cheap stick for $25ish to turn any set with HDMI into a smart streamer.

If you want to see it, get as big as the space allows. Big TVs are still pretty cheap. You’ll need a mount, Amazon has hundreds, some move, some don’t. You can even get them that suspend from the ceiling.

I’m presuming you have adequate Internet reception on your gazebo. And since most gazebos seem to be out in the middle of the yard, that’s pretty sweet yours has power, Surly 1%er. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All of this above.

I use a regular tv and occasionally remember to bring it in after use. Next day it always comes in. You are talking about a tv that is way less than 200 bucks. Throw it in the trash if you have problems and then just order a new one. It will be better and likely cheaper and probably bigger.

the brightness isn’t an issue with indoor/outdoor tv’s. At all. They are the same thing.

Buy something like this and be done with worrying about it - 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-32-Class-3-Series-720P-HD-LED-Roku-Smart-TV-32S335/529489120?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227368108254&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=466871438086&wl4=pla-957785741976&wl5=9028131&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=529489120&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwt8uGBhBAEiwAayu_9QI0_E6VpWlWdjEfeX9rOepXrzcBegGLhIPAHyer8jsofKWhZnEtZRoC_dMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

What everyone else said. Bought a 65 inch 4k Vizio set, and it has done fine for nearly 5 years now. And that is in Houston, so it doesn't get treated nicely out there. I'll just upgrade if it ever goes out. I note that this is a covered patio, so it doesn't get direct rain. Make sure you have a cover if that is a concern. 

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

What everyone else said, screw the concept of an “outdoor TV,” as long as it’s protected (gazebo has a solid roof), any TV will be fine. Get a set with built in Roku or Fire (Amazon has been selling Fire Toshibas with deep discounts for a week, Walmart has ONN with Roku, I don’t have Costco nearby, but others mentioned good options there). You can also get a cheap stick for $25ish to turn any set with HDMI into a smart streamer.

If you want to see it, get as big as the space allows. Big TVs are still pretty cheap. You’ll need a mount, Amazon has hundreds, some move, some don’t. You can even get them that suspend from the ceiling.

I’m presuming you have adequate Internet reception on your gazebo. And since most gazebos seem to be out in the middle of the yard, that’s pretty sweet yours has power, Surly 1%er. 

Monoprice.com

for your mounting needs. Use the live chat feature and let them show you which ones will work with what you bought. Tell them what you need (mounting surface, tilt, swivel etc). Usually $50 or less 

• Hook 'Em 1

I view these the same as I do an RV television.  Just buy what you want and know that if/when it craps out you will almost be happy it did.  RV televisions are more vibration and humidity resistant, but the quality and features are less and they cost considerably more.  

If you REALLY want something durable you can get a Furrion, here is a 43 inch model for $600 Furrion TV, by comparison you can get an LG at best buy with the same sort of features for around $250 LG 43 inch TVYou are really going to bend over if you are moving up into the 50+ inch range.

IF you are looking for something as small as a 32, it is probably going to be more that you simply have fewer choices now with the smaller 32 and 24 inch sizes.  We replaced a 32 with a 40 inch in our trailer. I was going to use the old 32 in the bedroom but think I might as well just go with another 40" and set it up to be able to move to the outside with a second outdoor mount.  So...  if my kid doesn't want it I may have a 720p unit I will give you for a song, or maybe a few pushups.  Whichever is more humiliating...

I'm using a TCL-75R635 on my outdoor detached patio, been great for a year so far.  It doesn't get rained on and very little direct sun (if any).  I don't cover it.

I did choose it based on brightness and anti-reflective screen and definitely helps when sunny outside or watching from distance from pool.

Only reason I would opt for a "true" outdoor tv was if it was going to get wet or if I lived where it got really cold/hot.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

I view these the same as I do an RV television.  Just buy what you want and know that if/when it craps out you will almost be happy it did.  RV televisions are more vibration and humidity resistant, but the quality and features are less and they cost considerably more.  

If you REALLY want something durable you can get a Furrion, here is a 43 inch model for $600 Furrion TV, by comparison you can get an LG at best buy with the same sort of features for around $250 LG 43 inch TVYou are really going to bend over if you are moving up into the 50+ inch range.

IF you are looking for something as small as a 32, it is probably going to be more that you simply have fewer choices now with the smaller 32 and 24 inch sizes.  We replaced a 32 with a 40 inch in our trailer. I was going to use the old 32 in the bedroom but think I might as well just go with another 40" and set it up to be able to move to the outside with a second outdoor mount.  So...  if my kid doesn't want it I may have a 720p unit I will give you for a song, or maybe a few pushups.  Whichever is more humiliating...

Yeah, I question the choice of getting a 32 inch for outside. Might as well just bring a tablet or phone with you outside. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I question the choice of getting a 32 inch for outside. Might as well just bring a tablet or phone with you outside. 

Honestly if you have room for a 32 you can cram in a 40.  I would do some math on the average viewing distance as 32 looked small to me 7 feet away in our RV.  If you have a larger living room TV you will only be disappointed with a 32. IMHO

• Hook 'Em 1

All good takes above, on the tvs/ installation. 

One thing I would add is to check the downward tilt angle on the mount you buy.  Some are more / less.

Depending upon what your mount height is/ how close you are sitting, the max tilt angle may make a difference on comfortable viewing.  Same goes for left/ right.