Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition

Pimphand

My ex went to UVA.  My impression from several trips to Charlottesville is anybody who calls them Cavs or Cavaliers didn't actually go to UVA.  It's all Hoos.  

I do prefer the UVA fanbase over the rest of the CWS field but (for personal reasons) a vengeful skullfucking tonight would be quite nice.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

The Women's College World Series does this as well.  It's kind of more compelling to me to watch a team flip sides and then work their way through it against the other teams. 

On the other hand, double elimination with the same set of teams is a good compromise between 3-game series and the cruelty of baseball.  Double-elimination in the same bracket does a better job of mitigating the "any given Sunday" nature of a single game and tends to let the best team emerge, not just the luckiest.

Switching brackets undoes that a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't view the "Hoo" thing as a patrician affectation.  It's actually an old-school college rah-rah thing.  Like a college fight song or a school handsign.  Those are the things that make college sports GOOD.

I think both of those things can be true, I like that they're the Hoos. It matches UVA and their whole vibe to have a self-consciously goofy secondary nickname that they've kept around while other fanbases have left theirs in the 20s.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think both of those things can be true, I like that they're the Hoos. It matches UVA and their whole vibe to have a self-consciously goofy secondary nickname that they've kept around while other fanbases have left theirs in the 20s.

Yeah, those (the boolah boolah fight songs, secondary names) are a bit of a relic of times when colleges were more elitist than today, at least Ivies and old schools like UVa.

They're still kind of cool.  More people should wear seersucker suits and straw boaters to football games too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

It's not exactly the same thing, but UVA has its own language for all University stuff:

• It's not Campus, it's Grounds
  • You're not a freshman, you're a first year.
  • Referring to UVA as "Mr. Jefferson's University" - although that one might be falling out as people are more conflicted about the his legacy.

Everything is generally based on how it was when Thomas Jefferson was founding the university.  They are really big into history.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, those (the boolah boolah fight songs, secondary names) are a bit of a relic of times when colleges were more elitist than today, at least Ivies and old schools like UVa.

I'm surprised OU hasn't also stolen the nickname "Hoos."

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They're still kind of cool.  More people should wear seersucker suits and straw boaters to football games too.

Even in these times, you’ll find significant numbers of men, young and old, at their football games wearing blue blazers with tan slacks and orange/blue ties.  And … you’ll find most UVA fans, regardless of apparel, are packing flasks and rowdy as any college crowd.

38 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

My ex went to UVA.  My impression from several trips to Charlottesville is anybody who calls them Cavs or Cavaliers didn't actually go to UVA.  It's all Hoos.  

I do prefer the UVA fanbase over the rest of the CWS field but (for personal reasons) a vengeful skullfucking tonight would be quite nice.  

bro, you can go to jail for that.  just throw darts at a picture of her face. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Enough about the ex, who are you rooting for in the game?

9 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Even in these times, you’ll find significant numbers of men, young and old, at their football games wearing blue blazers with tan slacks and orange/blue ties.  And … you’ll find most UVA fans, regardless of apparel, are packing flasks and rowdy as any college crowd.

Thought about applying there as a safety school until I saw on their site “guys in ties and girls in pearls” referencing their football game days. 

The UVA fans are probably the most casually dressed I’ve seen in Omaha though so it doesn’t apply to the baseball crowd 

16 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

It's not exactly the same thing, but UVA has its own language for all University stuff:

• It's not Campus, it's Grounds
  • You're not a freshman, you're a first year.
  • Referring to UVA as "Mr. Jefferson's University" - although that one might be falling out as people are more conflicted about the his legacy.

Everything is generally based on how it was when Thomas Jefferson was founding the university.  They are really big into history.

Username and such...

15 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Sorry if already posted, are we visitors tonight?

6 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Have not seen it asked or answered - good question.

Visitors..I typically use this link to track the scores of the other games while I'm out. It shows us as visitors tonight.

https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/2021/06/24/all-conf

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added link to scoreboard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Thought about applying there as a safety school until I saw on their site “guys in ties and girls in pearls” referencing their football game days. 

The UVA fans are probably the most casually dressed I’ve seen in Omaha though so it doesn’t apply to the baseball crowd 

UVA as a safety school?

Impressive.

Didn’t realize I was in a Virginia fellatiofest thread. I’ve driven through Virginia. It was a January. It was miserably cold. The state itself sucked, like driving through an entire state’s worth of Katy. Nothing notable whatsoever until you get to DC area.

Fuck UVA and their lax-bro douche antebellum colonel Sanders wannabe fanbase. Let’s get this W

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t realize I was in a Virginia fellatiofest thread. I’ve driven through Virginia. It was a January. It was miserably cold. The state itself sucked, like driving through an entire state’s worth of Katy. Nothing notable whatsoever until you get to DC area.

Fuck UVA and their lax-bro douche antebellum colonel Sanders wannabe fanbase. Let’s get this W

Fuck UVA and their Johnny-come-lately program.

Fuck their cutesy little nickname and fuck their fans for coming up with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh right. That is technically possible.

Home team is 

Higher seed in first round and after that

1. Team that has been Home team the fewest time, if the same then - 

2. Team that has been Vistors more time, if the same then - 

3. If they have played in the CWS before then team that was Visitors in that game.  If they haven't played before then - 

4. Coin flip

Yeah, I'm sitting here re-watching the regional win over UCF and he just did it on the very first A/B.  

Someone needs to have a sit down with him over that high school shit.

He was half way down the first base line and you could just see the ump's "Oh no you didn't" body language.  Fucking idiotic.

Edited by Cajun

• immamac changed the title to Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition