Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition

Pimphand

At some point Hodo is going to have to stop panhandling for walks and get us some hit production.  It would be nice if Faltine would get a hit or two as well.

Faltine had a strange day Tuesday, sac then back to back 10 pitch ab’s resulting in k’s. Then k’d again to cap it off.

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

Faltine had a strange day Tuesday, sac then back to back 10 pitch ab’s resulting in k’s. Then k’d again to cap it off.

Yeah, he's had some good a/bs, but the guy can stroke it and we really need some of that kind of production.

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, he's had some good a/bs, but the guy can stroke it and we really need some of that kind of production.

B.D.E.

This is what we need from the guys tonight and the rest of the tournament if we want to get #7. It's time to show up. 

Tulo told them in the 9th of the MSU game, "It can't get any worse.", which was true and probably should have been said innings earlier, but I'll digress.

Texas manufactures runs, gets guys on, moves them over and gets timely hitting. That is what we do and that is what we need to do in order to get back on track. Swinging for the fences is dumb and will only lead to more strikeouts or sweet looking pop-ups. Smooth, level swings, making contact and keeping your eyes on the ball will produce. 

Settle down, play your game and take advantage of the other teams mistakes.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I think both of those things can be true, I like that they're the Hoos. It matches UVA and their whole vibe to have a self-consciously goofy secondary nickname that they've kept around while other fanbases have left theirs in the 20s.

RA RA SHISH BOOM BA and 23 skidoo!

6 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

This is true.  It's a ton of kids with money from DC and NE and they refer to non-students in Charlottesville as "townies."  

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Well they're douchy about it, okay?  Fuck them.

Now we’re talkin 

4ABC2820-4564-4C38-9A49-9C1AB7A5D8CD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, the college I went to in Florida had like 3,000 students in a "town" of 30,000 people.  And everybody on campus, even the faculty/staff called the local residents "Townies."  Even the people that lived there would introduce themselves as "townies."  I thought it was odd.  Only other place I'd heard it used to frequently was  visiting friends at I.U. and the folks of Bloomington.  But it had a very negative connotation there.  But that was a massive school like Virginia.  

I think when you pump that much money into a local economy, you can call them whatever you want unfortunately.  Our little school could have been erased from the map and the local citizens would have barely noticed except lighter traffic and 1 or 2 bars with liberal I.D. rules shutting down.  

Ah yes, I almost forgot.  Fuck the Cavaliers.  Fuck the townies of Charlottesville.  Fuck the Wahoos.  And fuck Thomas Jefferson who invented the DH and fake turf!

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

At some point Hodo is going to have to stop panhandling for walks and get us some hit production.  It would be nice if Faltine would get a hit or two as well.

If i'm going to bitch about players needing to step up Zub and Ivan are at the front of the line.  

12 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Good post, but this last part sounded really familiar.  Any chance that in some other lifetime you were Bill in Sinton?

I haven't died yet, that I know of; but no I'm not Bill.

I've coached before and have recently been coaching my daughter in Tennis, so the coach speak just comes out sometimes. Usually not a big rah rah guy but it has it's uses too.

Going back to basics when someone is struggling is the best thing to do, to reset their mind and get them back on track. I typically tell them what I think the basics are so they understand what I want from them. Explaining it that way let's them know what those "basics" are. Sometimes players get in a groove, good or bad, and need to be reminded what they are up there to do and to forget old mistakes. I'm sure that was the "Zen" that Augie used when he'd call a player over before they roped a much needed single to get a run home. Players get caught up sometimes in a moment or in repetition and forget to do their job. See the ball, make contact, put the ball in play, etc... 

The team seemed to wake up last game and got down early and came back playing their game and won the game. That's how we will continue to win. Plus, incredible, intense focusness. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

@roll leftNo argument really.  Ivan I kind of expected to give little.  He's a one dimensional hitter who is working on that.  I see signs, but he just isn't there yet.  Zubia?  Well, he's streaky.  Let's hope he gets on one of those.  It's time for some guys who haven't been hitting to start doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@roll leftNo argument really.  Ivan I kind of expected to give little.  He's a one dimensional hitter who is working on that.  I see signs, but he just isn't there yet.  Zubia?  Well, he's streaky.  Let's hope he gets on one of those.  It's time for some guys who haven't been hitting to start doing so. 

It would make good TV and history if Hodo would have a clutch moment to help the team.  I'm a little more sympathetic to his gaffe seeing others have trouble in that corner.  

3 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I'm sure that was the "Zen" that Augie used when he'd call a player over before they roped a much needed single to get a run home. Players get caught up sometimes in a moment or in repetition and forget to do their job. See the ball, make contact, put the ball in play, etc... 

I can't remember the player, but I was sitting right behind the plate and a stuggling Horn was up to bat.  Dude was pressing hard, talking to himself, etc.  I think he'd struck out like 5 times in a row coming into that a/b.  Augie got his attention after the guy got down 0-2.  The batter stepped out of the box and Augie said loudly, but calmly - "Settle down.  Every pitch is a new lifetime".

You could see the frustration and tension leave the guy's body.  He worked the count to 2-2 and then roped a ball off the left field fence.

Zen indeed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Cajun said:

I can't remember the player, but I was sitting right behind the plate and a stuggling Horn was up to bat.  Dude was pressing hard, talking to himself, etc.  I think he'd struck out like 5 times in a row coming into that a/b.  Augie got his attention after the guy got down 0-2.  The batter stepped out of the box and Augie said loudly, but calmly - "Settle down.  Every pitch is a new lifetime".

You could see the frustration and tension leave the guy's body.  He worked the count to 2-2 and then roped a ball off the left field fence.

Zen indeed.

Exactly. People do this same shit in life, which is also something I get to help with, and the same concepts work in a lot of situations. 

Alright, let's fuck these guys up tonight! Hook'em!!! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

It's not exactly the same thing, but UVA has its own language for all University stuff:

• It's not Campus, it's Grounds
  • You're not a freshman, you're a first year.
  • Referring to UVA as "Mr. Jefferson's University" - although that one might be falling out as people are more conflicted about the his legacy.

Everything is generally based on how it was when Thomas Jefferson was founding the university.  They are really big into history.

I had a friend that graduated from Bill and the Bitch…

39 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I haven't died yet, that I know of; but no I'm not Bill.

I've coached before and have recently been coaching my daughter in Tennis, so the coach speak just comes out sometimes. Usually not a big rah rah guy but it has it's uses too.

Going back to basics when someone is struggling is the best thing to do, to reset their mind and get them back on track. I typically tell them what I think the basics are so they understand what I want from them. Explaining it that way let's them know what those "basics" are. Sometimes players get in a groove, good or bad, and need to be reminded what they are up there to do and to forget old mistakes. I'm sure that was the "Zen" that Augie used when he'd call a player over before they roped a much needed single to get a run home. Players get caught up sometimes in a moment or in repetition and forget to do their job. See the ball, make contact, put the ball in play, etc... 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Skip : You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first.

You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you?               Larry!

Larry : Lollygaggers!

Skip : Lollygaggers.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Pretty sure most small town colleges do that.

An interesting observation is I’m pretty sure UT never did that (referring to locals as townies), even back when UT was almost half the town. Probably because the other half worked for the state or city I guess. 

Even though Austin was smaller back then, it was still several hundred thousand people.  You wouldn't call those people 'townies'...maybe 'locals' if anything.  

I'm curious what Bryan-College Station residents call Aggies and what A&M students call citizens of Bryan-College Station.  The Venn Diagram of mediocrity would be a near perfect circle.  

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think Hodo is at the point now where the ump is waiting to see if he takes off for first and if he does it's going to get called a strike no matter where the pitch was

This. He has had me bitching to (him/tv/myself mostly) every time he does that. Somebody needs to address that with him. It’s bush league. Pay more attention to putting the ball in play and stop doing that shit and maybe profit?

Have not seen any of their other lineup cards for post-season, but curious to me that Virginia bats two lefties in the 2 & 3 spots against Hansen.  Their 9 hitter is also a lefty, so wrap-around inning starts could have:  L, R, L, L    

Obviously there's a reason for it, just stood out to me is all.  Fuck 'EM 

Equated College of William and Mary to Rice, Hampton Sydney to Austin College, UVA to UT, VATech to aggy, JMU to SFA.  Is this wrong? If I lived in Virginia, I would've gone to UVA, no doubt about it.  FYI, Stephen F Austin was a Virginian.

Edited by Mdhorn

• immamac changed the title to Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition