2021 (2020?) Olympics

ztejas

USA basketball finalized its roster. KD deserves some props for stepping up - the rest of the roster doesn't exactly inspire confidence:

Edited by ztejas

• ztejas changed the title to 2021 (2020?) Olympics

Needed veteran Team USA ball distributors the likes of CP3, Kyrie, and Harden on the squad. Not bad to get Devin Booker into the fold so he can start accumulating experience, but Damian Lillard inspires no confidence and I hope he doesn't devolve into being a chucker.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Needed veteran Team USA ball distributors the likes of CP3, Kyrie, and Harden on the squad. Not bad to get Devin Booker into the fold so he can start accumulating experience, but Damian Lillard inspires no confidence and I hope he doesn't devolve into being a chucker.

There's a bevy of chuckers (not in a bad sense necessarily - just high volume guards and wings) that aren't great distributors or defenders (like... the first 6 players on the list). Not really what you want for the Olympics. 

But... KD being there should be enough. Had he opted out and were we to send that crew I might have been a little pissed. I do like Draymond being in the fold. Not sure whose dick KLove sucked to get included. 

Edited by ztejas

They're gonna be nasty, though. Probably start Dame, Book/Tatum, KD, Draymond, Bam. Maybe swap Tatum and Dray and slot KD to the 4. That should be enough. Shooting will be lights out. They'll be able to switch everything on D. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I do like Draymond being in the fold.

Everyone knows that I love me some Draymond, but he was literally their most useless player last go round coming off the best season of his career. He contributed a whopping 1.9 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 0.9 steals in 9.8 minutes per contest. Olympic basketball is not built for his game whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Everyone knows that I love me some Draymond, but he was literally their most useless player last go round coming off the best season of his career. He contributed a whopping 1.9 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 0.9 steals in 9.8 minutes per contest. Olympic basketball is not built for his game whatsoever.

Okay but we were fucking stacked in 2016. Even if he doesn't play a lot I like his presence and leadership. He isn't going to put up with any bullshit or laziness. Which would be my main concern with this roster.

I mean... this team is obviously stacked, too, it's just that their talents overlap a bit more and I feel like that might open it up for Dray to play more than he did in 2016. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

I really want to see how a Luka led Slovenia would do against this group. I'd put KD on him the entire game and let everyone else score.

Luka would be great I think. Probably 30 and 12 dimes - maybe 7 or 8 boards, and then at the end Slovenia loses by 37. 

Now, if you could sneak him and Jokic on the same team we might have something.

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Luka would be great I think. Probably 30 and 12 dimes - maybe 7 or 8 boards, and then at the end Slovenia loses by 37. 

Now, if you could sneak him and Jokic on the same team we might have something.

Imagine if Yugoslavia (Jugoslavija) were still a nation. They would be a top bet to medal in basketball in every tournament they participated in.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Whatever..it’s better than the 2006 disaster

Yeah. This is where I'm at. I just don't like the commitment right now. How many of those guys have played in a Finals? Or been on a legit title contender? Or been on another gold medal team? 

There is zero reason for KD to play. He doesn't owe us anything and is coming off an Achilles injury at 32. You usually assume guys like him don't play.

So that being the case, fuck. We can do better than this. 

Thankfully KD is a gangsta and loves to play basketball.

13 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Are those couple guys still in the playoffs totally committed?  Doesn't training camp start like a few days after finals game 7 is scheduled?  

At least one of them said he's totally committed regardless - can't remember who it was. I would imagine they all have to be and that it was a prerequisite for making the roster. 

But, I guess if we had to make a late call-up it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. All of those guys are replaceable.