Madison Square Garden, 1987. Which Two Shows Do You See?

atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Saw him on the Rhythm of the Saints tour (91?) with the Brazilian drummers. Holy shit that man can put on a show. Visually stunning.

I saw him on that tour. I also saw him on the Graceland tour with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. That was a better show. This is a great album (the founder and leader of the band Joseph Shabalala passed away last year; RIP):

R-3343808-1326638032.jpeg.jpg

Some of you might remember this song which was used to advertise some soft drink, if memory serves:

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I missed that U2 as well, but I saw them in 2017 for their 20th anniversary of the Joshua Tree, and they played the entire album from beginning to end. It was pretty fucking great.

Very cool. So glad you got to see/hear the album live. I missed the 30th(!!) Anniversary tour, but I’m guessing the opening, when the red hewn lights came up and the first notes of “Where the Streets…” began, sent a wave of excite through the entire audience. I get chills just thinking about it. What a great band!

21 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Very cool. So glad you got to see/hear the album live. I missed the 30th(!!) Anniversary tour, but I’m guessing the opening, when the red hewn lights came up and the first notes of “Where the Streets…” began, sent a wave of excite through the entire audience. I get chills just thinking about it. What a great band!

I’ve seen them four times (including once in Dublin), and every time they play Where the Streets Have No Name I get the major feels. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

I’ve seen them four times (including once in Dublin),

Humble Brag!! ~ KIDDING. That’s awesome.

I’ve seen them 4 or 5 times.

‘87 Joshua Tree @ Tarrant Cnty Conv Ctr

’89 Reunion Arena and the next night I think?) in H-Town (Astrodome)

’98(?) Zooropa in Cotton Bowl

’16(?) - In Jerry World (worst concert cause acoustics suck)

I’d love to be able to time-travel and see them at Red Rocks! 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Huey Lewis and Beastie Boys. Yes you guessed it, I am white. 

I, too, am Terminally Caucasian😬

Saw the Beasties at Fair Park I  Dallas in ‘87. GREAT concert. Fish Bone opened. Then, again in ‘99 (‘00?) on the Hello Nasty tour at Tarrant Count CC. 

Man, I’ve seen some GREAT concerts at TCCC..

’77- Elvis

’87 - U2 

’87 - Van Halen w/Sammy (or was it ‘86?)

’99 - Beastie Boys

Viva el TCCC!

Just now, NTVTXN said:

I, too, am Terminally Caucasian😬

Saw the Beasties at Fair Park I  Dallas in ‘87. GREAT concert. Fish Bone opened. Then, again in ‘99 (‘00?) on the Hello Nasty tour at Tarrant Count CC. 

Man, I’ve seen some GREAT concerts at TCCC..

’77- Elvis

’87 - U2 

’87 - Van Halen w/Sammy (or was it ‘86?)

’99 - Beastie Boys

Viva el TCCC!

Wow, Elvis in 1977. Talk about a ticking clock. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wow, Elvis in 1977. Talk about a ticking clock. 

Yup, I was 9. It was “I’ve eaten nine hundred fried PB&banana sammiches” Elvis, but it was him. My first concert ever.

I think it was in February. He would be gone <6months later. 

Edited by NTVTXN
I was incorrect. It was July 3rd, ‘76. Damn, 45yrs ago…today.

I never got to see David Bowie or the Grateful Dead live so those are my answers. 

I would like to send an Irons Up salute to Iron Maiden. While many metal heads didn’t like the Somewhere in Time album, that was my first exposure to IM so I would have loved to hear those songs in 87 (saw them 3x times since 2007). The rest of that set is all killer, no filler. 

Caught Somewhere in Time

2 Minutes to Midnight

Children of the Damned

Stranger in a Strange Land

Wasted Years

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Heaven Can Wait

Phantom of the Opera

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Iron Maiden

Encore:

The Number of the Beast

Run to the Hills

Running Free

On 7/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, NYCH1 said:

I never got to see David Bowie or the Grateful Dead live so those are my answers. 

That’s too bad because there is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert. It totally changed my perspective. Very little onstage banter. If you got a local reference, it was only during Minglewood Blues. Long episodes of tuning between songs. No posturing, no strutting except for Bobby occasionally trying to act like a rock star. Kind of made other bands look foolish, especially the ones who dance around, also the ones who play the same show every night, and play their songs the same way as you heard them on the album every time. Which, granted, a lot of bands can’t do. But the Dead took the stage every night without a setlist and just figured it out as they went along. A high wire act without a net. Sometimes you suffered the lows but the highs were higher than high. And you were part of it. The band members used to say that everyone there was the Grateful Dead, they were just the ones on the stage. And it felt like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Saw him on the Rhythm of the Saints tour (91?) with the Brazilian drummers. Holy shit that man can put on a show. Visually stunning.

I would have liked to see Simon and Garfunkel on their '76/'77 tour, he probably put on a helluva show for this album.

deb1c38b822a8fd5cbf0ffb054002248.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1