The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

Ah, I see the loophole now.  He said federal buildings in cities or states.  Not territories, protectorates, or districts.  So the US Capitol, our seat of government, is fair game for vandalism?   Our godking has spoken!

chansley is so dammed, by the way.  Almost feel bad for him 

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that guy that throws the trash can at the cop and then appears to kick him needed to be put down right then and there, like a fucking rabid dog

I'm assuming that some of what comes out of this commission will address the lack of strong response on the part of the cops.

Should have been more Ashli Babbits.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't know how much access RS has to other info, but focusing on these two almost seems like a misdirection--not on the part of the journal, but by others. Back before Twitter kept *throwing up a wall and I had a little more time during pandemic work, I spent a little time each day scrolling around. I remember these two women and their accounts--they were all over tweeting about going to DC and all that. Ride the bus! Come to the events and Stop The Steal! and so on.

But after reading the article, and that little mention of Ali Alexander and them 'shutting him out,' I'm curious how much is so people don't think too much about Ali and how he is aligned with Roger Stone, and how they were talking about this for quite a while along with some of the other younger supporters and the Proud Boys. That's whose burner phones and messages you really want to acquire. Paul Gosar and the rest of them....

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don’t think you understand how burner phones work.  Those things are smashed to pieces and scattered across the region.

Yeah, I mean I do understand that it's unrecoverable, but the people/group I listed above--those guys had the real info on strategy not two party planners who want new bulbs in their suite lamps.

52 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yeah, I mean I do understand that it's unrecoverable, but the people/group I listed above--those guys had the real info on strategy not two party planners who want new bulbs in their suite lamps.

Depends on who they were talking to.  The airheads/party planners you dismiss may have been standing next to major players, and that would be on purpose, and could have been passing messages back and forth, or handing the phone off and then taking it back when whoever they handed it to was done.

Real easy for somebody that is central to all of this say "hey, look, I said hello to a lot of people on the phone, you know people hand me the phone and say "could you tell my friend Roger "hi" and how much you appreciate what he's doing in trying to over throw the government, I mean for getting out and helping fundraise for you?" and look, I'm not going to turn my friends and supporters down!"

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Isn't being a republican a trait and thus not admissible?    I seem to recall a lawyer telling me that while spouting off about someone else's traits.

Edited by Nivek

25 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

filed under: "No shit". From the article:

the Pentagon inspector general’s November report on Army leadership’s response to the attack was “replete with factual inaccuracies”; and that the Army has created its own closely held revisionist document about the Capitol riot that’s “worthy of the best Stalinist or North Korea propagandist.”

Reached for comment on Matthews’ memo, Walker, the former head of the D.C. Guard, said the report speaks for itself and that he had nothing further to add. A Jan. 6 committee spokesperson declined to comment.

The new memo from Matthews, who now serves in the Army reserves, emerges as officials involved in the response that day try to explain their decision-making to investigators. The House select committee has probed the attack for months, and earlier this year top officials testified before the House oversight panel.

Reached for comment, Matthews said the memo he wrote is entirely accurate. “Our Army has never failed us and did not do so on January 6, 2021,” he said. “However, occasionally some of our Army leaders have failed us and they did so on January 6th. Then they lied about it and tried to cover it up. They tried to smear a good man and to erase history.”

Flynn, now the commanding general of the U.S. Army Pacific, and Piatt didn't respond to messages. Army spokesperson Mike Brady said in a statement that the service's "actions on January 6th have been well-documented and reported on, and Gen. Flynn and Lt. Gen. Piatt have been open, honest and thorough in their sworn testimony with Congress and DOD investigators."

On 11/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yep, that was my remark yesterday--GOP will take House/Senate in 2022 and all will then delay and obstruct until 2024 per the Roy Cohn tactic and then the fascist/nationalist takeover will be complete. Once the decision was made to go all in, they haven't stopped the train and they intend to see it through.

It's a shame that the twilight of democracy is not the raging, the anger at what might have been and could be but a soft exhalation as the last bit of light is absorbed by the darkness on the horizon.

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang, but a whimper

• Rage+1 1

Sidney Powell raised 14 million dollars spreading election falsehoods and nobody really knows where the money went. Who knows where this post should go?  It's like the criminality is on such a gross scale that it oversteps the boundaries of threads here on Surly.  Anyway, here goes. From the Washington Post:

"In the months after President Donald Trump lost the November election, lawyer Sidney Powell raised large sums from donors inspired by her fight to reverse the outcome of the vote. But by April, questions about where the money was going — and how much there was — were helping to sow division between Powell and other leaders of her new nonprofit, Defending the Republic.

On April 9, many members of the staff and board resigned, documents show. Among those who departed after just days on the job was Chief Financial Officer Robert Weaver, who in a memo at the time wrote that he had “no way of knowing the true financial position” of Defending the Republic because some of its bank accounts were off limits even to him.

Records reviewed by The Washington Post show that Defending the Republic raised more than $14 million, a sum that reveals the reach and resonance of one of the most visible efforts to fundraise using baseless claims about the 2020 election. Previously unreported records also detail acrimony between Powell and her top lieutenants over how the money — now a focus of inquiries by federal prosecutors and Congress — was being handled.

The split has left Powell, who once had Trump’s ear, isolated from other key figures in the election-denier movement. Even so, as head of Defending the Republic, she controlled $9 million as recently as this summer, according to an audited financial statement from the group. The mistrust of U.S. elections that she and her former allies stoked endures. Polls show that one-third of Americans — including a majority of Republicans — believe that Trump lost because of fraud.

Matt Masterson, a former senior U.S. cybersecurity official who tracked 2020 election integrity for the Department of Homeland Security, said Powell’s fundraising success demonstrates one reason so many people continue to spread falsehoods about the 2020 election: It can bring in cash.

“Business is good and accountability is low, which means we’re just going to see continued use of this playbook,” Masterson said. “Well-meaning folks that have been told that the election was stolen are giving out money that they might not otherwise be able to give.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/sidney-powell-defending-republic-donations/2021/12/06/61bdb004-53ef-11ec-8769-2f4ecdf7a2ad_story.html

• Rage+1 1

Well, can't say I blame him.  When a psychotic Trumper with military training and quite a weapons cache says he'll kill your only granddaughter unless you back off your 1/6 testimony...you have to at least take a timeout and evaluate.