The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

"The nation needs to heal" is also why virtually everyone in the confederacy got clemency after the civil war. That didn't work out too well long term. Nixon's pardon hasn't either. It's clear that the lesson the GOP learned was "you can get away with any crime up to and including treason" and set out to do as many fucking crimes as they could. 

I agree with this. I think the best way for the nation to “heal” would’ve been to throw Nixon in jail and demonstrate that no one is above the law, not even the President of the United States. That would’ve sent a message to future executives. Maybe we wouldn’t have gotten Reagan trading arms for hostages with Iran and sending the profits to South American death squads, or Bush and Cheney committing war crimes, or Donald Trump attempting a coup. 

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm liking this John Bolton guy now, he seems to have some balls. Standing up to RT propaganda and Trump lies? Good job dude.

Yeah, Bolton was kind of born for this.  What makes him an asshole in normal times makes him the man for the job in these times.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Without clemency they wouldn't have been allowed to hold elected office again.

Good point, but I think there were plenty of people of similar mindset without "prosecutable" connections to the Confederacy to take their places.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

i don't see 7 hours missing.  i see the big gap at insurrection time, from his speech ending at 1 until his telling everyone they are beautiful but go home at 4, then 2.5 hours after that.  i think 5.5 hours are missing.

thanks for clearing that up for us. go home everyone, OOTOOFG solved the case!

13 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

i don't see 7 hours missing.  i see the big gap at insurrection time, from his speech ending at 1 until his telling everyone they are beautiful but go home at 4, then 2.5 hours after that.  i think 5.5 hours are missing.

Username checks out 

19 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

He could watch Birth of a Nation twice in that time!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I continue to believe that's primarily because of how unprepared Trump's team was to actually steal the election. He seriously thought every Republican election official at the state and local level would just do it for him. He didn't even have a legal team ready to go to file anything. Because he was so unprepared, there was nothing any courts could do that even remotely resembled legal to steal it for him. 

They've cleared out all of the officials who wouldn't go along with it and replaced them with lunatic true believers now who will gladly help him steal the next election. When Democrats bring legal challenges, it's going to be much easier for SCOTUS to pretend it's just denying insufficient legal challenges and upholding an initial result (that's rigged) than it would've been for them to overturn an initial result in 2020 to give it to Trump based on no legal coherent legal theory whatsoever.

See the bolded.  Look at the pattern of thinking and behavior there.  Now, look at how that overlays EXACTLY with the decision of a certain autocrat to invade Ukraine, and his expectations for that invasion going into it.

They are brothers from another mother, and they each suffer the autocrat's curse: they believe their own bullshit, surround themselves with yes-men, and thus deny themselves access to clear and objective thinking.

As for all of this discussion of missing phone logs and crimes and whatnot.....for fuck's sake, just fucking stop it already.  Trump could shoot a man in the face in the middle of fifth avenue while sodomizing an infant and shitting on a puppy, and he would a) GAIN votes and b) never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever face any consequences.

He is not going to be prosecuted, much less convicted.  He is going to continue to do and say whatever he wants, and waltz into the White House in 2024, re-elected with ease, especially with the assistance of battleground states run by Republican leadership who will find ways to suppress likely opposing votes.  Stop fucking hoping for something good.  When will you ever learn?

200.gif

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the missing shit is going to bode ill for Trump, as mentioned on the other thread.

It may constitute a separate, minor criminal charge, but is inferential/circumstantial evidence of guilt on the obstruction charge.  Powerful shit, just like Nixon.

The only thing that made Nixon toss in the towel was his own party having some degree of morality, and pushing him out.  I unfortunately see no bar low enough for the elected members of the GOP not to rationalize as "OK" at this point.

Powerful stuff to American Patriots? But to what is now nearly 40% of the populace and 80%. of the GOP electorate, something to be completely ignored.

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Yea I bet the committee just can’t add.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I bet the committee just can’t add.

Well, it's important.  Failing to hand over 5.5 hours of phone logs is understandable.  Failing to hand over 7 hours of phone logs is beyond the pale.

Oh well, nevertheless.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm liking this John Bolton guy now, he seems to have some balls. Standing up to RT propaganda and Trump lies? Good job dude.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, Bolton was kind of born for this.  What makes him an asshole in normal times makes him the man for the job in these times.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fuck him for not speaking up when it mattered. 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Get in there, Bolton and just shit all over everything that comes outta Trump's mouth. This is your time to shine!

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

John Bolton can get fucked. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is the correct response. fuck that mustachioed prick

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

CSB.  Years ago I worked on a case with both Bolton and Raskin.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

See the bolded.  Look at the pattern of thinking and behavior there.  Now, look at how that overlays EXACTLY with the decision of a certain autocrat to invade Ukraine, and his expectations for that invasion going into it.

They are brothers from another mother, and they each suffer the autocrat's curse: they believe their own bullshit, surround themselves with yes-men, and thus deny themselves access to clear and objective thinking.

As for all of this discussion of missing phone logs and crimes and whatnot.....for fuck's sake, just fucking stop it already.  Trump could shoot a man in the face in the middle of fifth avenue while sodomizing an infant and shitting on a puppy, and he would a) GAIN votes and b) never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever face any consequences.

He is not going to be prosecuted, much less convicted.  He is going to continue to do and say whatever he wants, and waltz into the White House in 2024, re-elected with ease, especially with the assistance of battleground states run by Republican leadership who will find ways to suppress likely opposing votes.  Stop fucking hoping for something good.  When will you ever learn?

200.gif

Plus, his cleanup crew is still at large. Furthermore, the behind the scenes munitions experts (the ones no one is really talking about) are laying multiple landmines to blow up more norms so that what's been in the news now will seem like a fairy tale.

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

There is no way on Gods green earth there isn’t a picture of tfg on a phone during the missing 7 hrs.

Un

Fucking

Possible.

Kevin McCarthy has already stated that he called and spoke with Trump during the insurrection.  This is a slam dunk, if any of these pantie-waists care to pursue it.

Hey Kevin, how does jail sound?  Are you ready to perjure yourself?

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I'm no Committee Co-Chair, but can't you just hold up the phone records with the gap in one hand and then the records of the others known to be a phone call with Trump with the time-stamps in the other hand and just make a puzzled face.  I would think that would be a slamdunk headline.  Even stupid people understand time-stamps.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I'm no Committee Co-Chair, but can't you just hold up the phone records with the gap in one hand and then the records of the others known to be a phone call with Trump with the time-stamps in the other hand and just make a puzzled face.  I would think that would be a slamdunk headline.  Even stupid people understand time-stamps.

Not if they’re made with Dominion machines.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm team ledge, but I also am going out on a limb and agreeing with @TwiceHorn. I think charges get filed against Donald. I've read the motions re: Eastman. I've read the back and forth emails from Eastman and Pence's counsel on the eve of 1/6. I think it happens. Not willing to predict a conviction, bc we can't have nice things, but I do think charges are forthcoming. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I'm team ledge, but I also am going out on a limb and agreeing with @TwiceHorn. I think charges get filed against Donald. I've read the motions re: Eastman. I've read the back and forth emails from Eastman and Pence's counsel on the eve of 1/6. I think it happens. Not willing to predict a conviction, bc we can't have nice things, but I do think charges are forthcoming. 

I also think the Committee can bypass a "criminal referral."  It's wholly unnecessary, and plays into the "political witch hunt," thing.  We'll see if the glory guts can restrain themselves.

Doesn't warrant a new thread, but between this one and the missing phone records thread on here...I gotta also put this out to our Trump worshipping colleagues:

Forget 'perfect calls', call January 6th a fraternity prank, pretend it was Antifa sacking the Capitol, Trump tried to quell the violence as best he could, he's a hero, whatever you wanna admit...I'll play along.  Hunted Biden's laptop, etc., etc., etc.  Whatever.  

Can we at least admit it's somewhat concerning, not saying impeachable and obviously the election was rigged/stolen.  But can we least express some concern that a sitting U.S. President sent staffers to a 7-11 in Mount Vernon Square to buy single-use cell phones off the rack?  I mean I still think Hillary's email server thing was unsecured, but it seems like the same place crack dealers obtain their communication platforms maybe isn't the wisest course of action?  Not saying Trump did anything illegal, but wouldn't that be like a base level of mutual understanding.  Like don't get Commander-in-Chief comms where you also get $4 wine and spiced nuts?  

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

For the life of me, I’ll never understand why non Republicans are so concerned with their actions appearing political. Republicans have not suffered any blowback for being cravenly political in almost every way possible. I don’t get it.

It’s tough. To a certain extent you don’t want to sink to their level or you’re no better than them. On the other hand, when they’re blatantly corrupt you can’t be concerned about accusations of political bias. Be clean and go after them like hell when you’ve got the goods on them and dare them to try to retaliate when they get back in power. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s tough. To a certain extent you don’t want to sink to their level or you’re no better than them. On the other hand, when they’re blatantly corrupt you can’t be concerned about accusations of political bias. Be clean and go after them like hell when you’ve got the goods on them and dare them to try to retaliate when they get back in power. 

Being right is it’s own defense, political considerations notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

200.gif

Adding to your point. It is a cult determined to break America

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

9 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

also why doesn’t Biden just make them “acting”

Fucking this. 

Confirmation hearings are a thing of the past if you don't feel like fucking with it and/or are in a pinch and need a real boot licker in an important post.  The mango mussolini out front shoulda told ya.

• Hook 'Em 1