The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Could be.  I think the fact that Meadows, Scavino, and Navarro were actual executive branch officials while Bannon was not complicates those prosecutions.  Should DOJ prosecute even with a high likelihood of acquittal?

There's a high likelihood of acquittal from charges for contempt of congress?

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There's a high likelihood of acquittal from charges for contempt of congress?

The availability of a more serious claim of executive privilege, by actual executive branch officials, as opposed to dipshits like Bannon, raises some questions.  There's not a lot of law on this shit.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The availability of a more serious claim of executive privilege, by actual executive branch officials, as opposed to dipshits like Bannon, raises some questions.  There's not a lot of law on this shit.

Then they can show up and assert claims for privilege. They can't just ignore a subpoena. 

Even if this Court would disagree with me (and it probably would because the conservatives just don't give a shit), I'm beyond fucking tired of the DOJ being chickenshit and refusing to bring anything they don't think are complete slam dunk cases. Their inaction has encouraged and is still encouraging serious criminal behavior that now threatens our very democracy. "What happens if they lose?" isn't a serious rebuttal when we know what will happen if they don't even try.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Again, I’m a layperson and don’t claim to know anything I don’t know. But would that be an application of the unitary executive theory? That everyone working in the executive branch should be protected by executive privilege? And wouldn’t that be Bannon’s argument? That because he once worked for President Trump, (I threw up in my mouth a little bit just saying that), he gets to claim executive privilege?

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Could be.  I think the fact that Meadows, Scavino, and Navarro were actual executive branch officials while Bannon was not complicates those prosecutions.  Should DOJ prosecute even with a high likelihood of acquittal?

And this is a HUGE problem I have with something....    Why are members of the President's staff working as participants in his election.   We, in essence, paid their salaries to try and help  him get re-elected.   Someone like Meadows as CoS of POTUS should have been nowhere near the election.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Again, I’m a layperson and don’t claim to know anything I don’t know. But would that be an application of the unitary executive theory? That everyone working in the executive branch should be protected by executive privilege? And wouldn’t that be Bannon’s argument? That because he once worked for President Trump, (I threw up in my mouth a little bit just saying that), he gets to claim executive privilege?

Not really.  Executive privilege is a thing, a worthwhile thing.  

It protects communications within the executive branch to permit candor between executive branch officials.

That Bannon was at best an informal advisor largely destroys any claim of executive privilege.  It is not so destroyed when the "deponents" are actual executive branch officials.

The subject matter of the communication matters, too.  Executive privilege is at its strongest when the communications involve national security or foreign policy/relations.  It is probably at its lowest to nonexistent when bitching about campaign and election and partisan political matters.

And, wildcat raises the issue that these schmucks still should have had to show up and invoke the privilege on a question-by-question basis, which I think is probably true.

But, there are some OLC memos that say the DOJ should decline to prosecute contempt of Congress when the deponents are senior executive branch officials.  There's also a DC District Court case that says those opinions aren't right.

Also, if the DOJ fails to secure convictions for former executive branch officials, that further weakens Congress' contempt power and practially reduces it to zero against former executive branch officials, which has ramifications, because this kind of shit comes up in every administration.

• Hook 'Em 1

Projection to me is something done subconsciously; someone projecting actually believes the person they're accusing is guilty of whatever offense. The Republican Party knowingly levels false accusations in order to gaslight, disorient and distract everyone from paying attention to their high crimes and fuckery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:46 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Ordinarily, I would probably agree with this.  Congress often can't get out of its own way on investigations.  I have been pretty impressed by the work of the Committee.

But this seems bullheaded.  I would have thought they were sharing work product like that all along.

Perhaps they are holding off in light of concerns that the investigation might exceed a valid legislative purpose if what they're doing is simply feeding info to DOJ.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Perhaps they are holding off in light of concerns that the investigation might exceed a valid legislative purpose if what they're doing is simply feeding info to DOJ.  

Good point.  That would certainly feed into that argument.

25 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

2 weeks later... Bill Barr skipped testimony and has been subpoenaed...2 weeks laterer......Bill Barr is ignoring the subpoena

I am somewhat perturbed by this sort of delay.  However, congressional subpoenas have always/traditionally been the subject of a great deal of negotiation between the issuing committee and deponents and that seems to take them some time.  I guess because everything is done  . . . by committee.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Or Slocum's Razor and whatnot, Garland is a lazy fuck.

Which is, really, just negative wishcasting.

There's a lot of ins, outs, and what-have-yous to this and things laypeople, and lawyers too, have never even thought of.  But there's about zero evidence that Merrick Garland is a lazy fuck.  And, even if he is slow-boating this, the reason is probably not that he is lazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Thank you for posting the longcat thread regarding the process; Twitter gives non account holders that attempt to access an entire thread a log in block now, so it's useful to have it here in its full form.

ahh, good to know.  i don't mind posting entire threads, especially important ones.  and ones like this with a bunch of helpful links and other threads attached to it.

The penalty phase is always a challenge.  First, you have the decision to seek the death penalty, which requires some fortitude.  Then the evidence and trial of the phase is always tricky.

Yup. And it’s not just about the W/L at the trail level. It’s about meticulously crafting everything to withstand the rigorous appeals that are inherent to those cases.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The only hope is the Georgia criminal case. It’s the most clear cut with a fucking tape recording. The Jan 6 committee evidence will be dismissed as political. The Georgia case is criminal and clear as day. If you can’t convict on that. Just shut down the country because it doesn’t exist anymore 

• Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

The only hope is the Georgia criminal case. It’s the most clear cut with a fucking tape recording. The Jan 6 committee evidence will be dismissed as political. The Georgia case is criminal and clear as day. If you can’t convict on that. Just shut down the country because it doesn’t exist anymore 

1glX.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

There is still hope that federal authorities bring the obstruction of official proceeding case against Trump. And maybe even a charge of seditious conspiracy.

17 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Motherfucker better come clean after he knowingly lied to the American people about the results of the Mueller investigation into Trump’s collusion (not a legal term but a practical one) with the Russian government in order to help him get elected, and then helped cover up the obvious but successful obstruction of justice that followed. Most corrupt AG ever. And we have to hope he’ll be an honest actor now, like when he acknowledged that Joe Biden won the election fair and square.

I hope he does something good. But he should still hang. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Motherfucker better come clean after he knowingly lied to the American people about the results of the Mueller investigation into Trump’s collusion (not a legal term but a practical one) with the Russian government in order to help him get elected, and then helped cover up the obvious but successful obstruction of justice that followed. Most corrupt AG ever. And we have to hope he’ll be an honest actor now, like when he acknowledged that Joe Biden won the election fair and square.

I hope he does something good. But he should still hang. 

Please show me the way to your beautiful world of fantasy.

Because this scotch I have isn't quite getting me there.  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, TwiceHorn said:

A capital case is always a challenge.

But does that experience translate to a Capitol case?

On 5/18/2022 at 6:01 AM, Bullneck said:

The J6 committee said they would be done in summer, I thought?  Maybe they have a few more items to cross of their list.  If the House goes red after the midterms I'm sure the Republicans would vote to have all files deleted or thrown in the Potomac.  Biden will be impeached shortly thereafter, as will Harris.  So, President McCarthy?

I'm guessing all records will be turned over before then.

No, you see they are going to install Trump as speaker, not McCarthy.  So after they impeach Biden and Harris then hand them on the Mall in front of the Capitol they can install President Trump.  Fulfilling the Q prophecy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

But does that experience translate to a Capitol case?

No, you see they are going to install Trump as speaker, not McCarthy.  So after they impeach Biden and Harris then hand them on the Mall in front of the Capitol they can install President Trump.  Fulfilling the Q prophecy. 

I assume you meant "then behead them on the Mall," right?  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is still hope that federal authorities bring the obstruction of official proceeding case against Trump. And maybe even a charge of seditious conspiracy.

To many people in this country, convicting a US President of criminal charges would be a bad look before the world and would signal that we’re no longer exceptional.