The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

On cue:

MTG gonna shut down AT&T. Yeah that’s happening. 

BTW, anyone whose ever had a newborn baby seems strangely drawn to at some point counting the new baby’s toes. Just to make sure it’s 10. Thanks to MTG, now I know why that is.

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

These huge corporations run the country with all of their political influence?

also we can credibly threaten these huge corporations with immediate shutdown. 

I'd be happy to stop them from paying off the very same politicians who pretend that they are going to shut them down.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Is that the cancel culture I've heard so much about?

Yep, also, they want to cancel slavery from the history books because they don't want responsibility for their actions.  Don't want to talk about climate change because no responsibility for their (and ours) actions and now they don't want to investigate January 6th, because they don't want responsibility for their actions. They're fine with committing crimes but get all touchy about the responsibility part.  Party of law and order is laughable.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

On 8/25/2021 at 11:55 AM, Blotto said:

lulz at thinking anything will come from this political theatre.   

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vo1vhgxfn9h7wf59i3

the GOP will run interference, the dems will fumblefuck around, team Trump will tie shit up in the courts (all the way to the SC),  nothing of substance will come of this. They just need to stall long enough to flip Congress, and then they can get to work on the Biden impeachment. Shits broken. 

Your opening is sort of tired. People are discussing something in progress. They're discussing issues and news. 

Somebody comes along with a smug, cynical posture that those discussing this are naive for believing anything will come of it. 

I'm not seeing any rosy predictions on here. I'm seeing approval that at least something is happening. Someone is looking into this. If you think it's a waste of time to keep up with it, then just fuck off to the recruiting board and alter your refrain, "Lulz that you guys think we'll get Joe Fivestar."

The rest of your post is worthwhile even if not particularly fresh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 12:00 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Dems just seem weak AF to me with all the insurrection stuff.  They have been from the get-go. 

They've made the GOP go on the record as opposing investigation.

They've allowed the GOP to refuse to participate in bi-partisan investigation.

The GOP is clearly obstructing. 

Now for the reveal. GOPs were participating and their entire posture is one of a criminal defendent's lawyer defending an obviously guilty client.

This is a political fight at this level. It's slow. I view the Dems as traditionally very timid, but I think they're doing okay on this so far. The GOPs have been pushed to keep appealing to the Trumpist faction which is bleeding support from the sane voters. I don't know that it's hurting them with their traditional big donors, but if they lose the Senate, they will not have much to offer the 1%.

Democratic actions are leading to an isolation of GOPs/Trumpists (a third of the electorate) and tying GOPs to the insurrection as a matter of public refusal to investigate and obstructionism at every step.

Next, deliver blockbusting goods...if they have them.

My only worry so far is the lack of investigation of the military chain of command from the White House through the Pentagon to the National Guard. There be treason in those waters.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They've made the GOP go on the record as opposing investigation.

They've allowed the GOP to refuse to participate in bi-partisan investigation.

The GOP is clearly obstructing. 

Now for the reveal. GOPs were participating and their entire posture is one of a criminal defendent's lawyer defending an obviously guilty client.

This is a political fight at this level. It's slow. I view the Dems as traditionally very timid, but I think they're doing okay on this so far. The GOPs have been pushed to keep appealing to the Trumpist faction which is bleeding support from the sane voters. I don't know that it's hurting them with their traditional big donors, but if they lose the Senate, they will not have much to offer the 1%.

Democratic actions are leading to an isolation of GOPs/Trumpists (a third of the electorate) and tying GOPs to the insurrection as a matter of public refusal to investigate and obstructionism at every step.

Next, deliver blockbusting goods...if they have them.

My only worry so far is the lack of investigation of the military chain of command from the White House through the Pentagon to the National Guard. There be treason in those waters.

I hope you're right but if I had to put money on it, I'd bet not a single fucking consequence will fall on anyone in power.  You won't even get a censure vote out of it. 

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It will work b/c Dems are worthless and weak.  Obviously, they won't shut down any companies but, somehow, someway not one single fucking traitor will pay any kind of price.  

True but in the spirit of Benghazi, there should be lots of investigations.  Remember when Republicans demanded justice?    

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I hope you're right but if I had to put money on it, I'd bet not a single fucking consequence will fall on anyone in power.  You won't even get a censure vote out of it. 

At the very least, it will make some Republican legislators think twice about who they talk to/text about certain things - we've got a couple of events coming up that are FAFO-style events.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is why it won't work.  The longer it takes, the more people forget.

Thankfully, a bunch of idiots are talking about reminding everybody about January 6th in a few weeks.

Of course, none of those idiots will start shit with the poilce/National Guard this time around.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is why it won't work.  The longer it takes, the more people forget.

I'm not saying it will work as far as punishing anyone or changing anything. I do think it's the Dems best political strategy.

The committee investigation may not succeed in getting punishment for the traitors, but the Dems are effectively revealing the GQP for what it is. If they can stick the GOP with only the 33% who comprise the crazies, GOP power may further erode. 

It's obvious who the problem is. Sadly, we can't count on the electorate to make obvious choices. Too many are moved by an emotional embrace of the irrational.

I predict nothing. I'm very bad at it.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

It's obvious who the problem is. Sadly, we can't count on the electorate to make obvious choices. Too many are moved by an emotional embrace of the irrational.

This is my concern Dude.  The Rs learned this.  They are banking on these people keeping them in power and watching Rome burn around them.  I think it will work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is my concern Dude.  The Rs learned this.  They are banking on these people keeping them in power and watching Rome burn around them.  I think it will work.

Horribly, you may very well be right. They're certainly aided by the gerrymandering and control of so many state governments. 

44 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He scared. 

I mean, if you aren't doing or haven't done anything wrong, what have you got to worry about?/GOP prior to August 2021

Also, surprise:

McCarthy's office would not provide CNN with a specific federal statute that a company would be in violation of if it complied with a duly empaneled congressional committee.
Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Reuters and AP have been pretty sterling as far as factual reporting.

It's not clear to me that Reuters reported the "anonymous report" or what McCarthy said based on some "anonymous report."

This is the article from Reuters. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclusive-fbi-finds-scant-evidence-us-capitol-attack-was-coordinated-sources-2021-08-20/

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The Caustic Caucus of Congress Critters.

And lulz at Madison Cawthorn's signature.

And Mo Brooks' slow loops of an obedient simpleton, with the lonely detached "B" in the middle harking back to the frightened friendless grade-school child, compensating later by becoming the howling round-headed snow-monkey of rage.

I mean, say what you will about the tenets of Trumpism, at least the Actual Orange One's signature was original and dynamic, like Picasso trying to run a paintbrush in one hand and a jackhammer in the other.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Lauren Boebert's signature looks like Gavin Belson's.  

And I love the Marissa Myers detail.  It's usually the case in politics that the senior staffers are more intelligent than the elected officials they serve. But in this case, it appears that nobody in these 11 Congressional offices has a functioning brain stem.  Nobody thought to verify where Marissa is right now? 

I was about to fire off a hastily worded letter to Bartles & Jaymes last week but decided to double check that they were in fact, still alive, and in charge.  

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

My god. I’m so tempted to tweet at them for being absolute fence posts, but why put myself in any position to feel their stupidity?  That’s what is frustrating. I want to scream at these people, but the odds are good that they might sic their law dogs on me, because that’s what they do, and I don’t want to spend any money fighting them over nothing.