The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

15 minutes ago, Pods said:

Bullshit. They view us as exceptionally fat. 

And stupid.  And arrogant. And racist.  And violent.

Man, what’s not to like?  No wonder people from non “shithole” countries are immigrating here at some of the lowest rates in history now.

12 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

good lord, Democrats are so bad at playing politics.

People can get mad at Rick Wilson for his past deeds all they want, but he’s been dead on balls accurate about the Rs since trump and he’s dead on balls accurate here again. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I hate having to vote for Democrats so much.

That’s evolution on your part because you used to be blindly in favor of them. Your every prediction of political outcomes was always in favor of the Dems. Even when it was totally irrational.

What changed?

On 5/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, TexasEd said:

No, you see they are going to install Trump as speaker, not McCarthy.  So after they impeach Biden and Harris then hand them on the Mall in front of the Capitol they can install President Trump.  Fulfilling the Q prophecy. 

On 5/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, Bullneck said:

I assume you meant "then behead them on the Mall," right?  

han is mis-typed Hand instead of hang.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:20 PM, Satchel said:

To many people in this country, convicting a US President of criminal charges would be a bad look before the world and would signal that we’re no longer exceptional.

Um, American Exceptionality left the building with Elvis.

Just some pointless hearsay at this stage. Are they actually going to make Trump testify under oath and ask the question, "Did you say that Mike Pence should be hung for verifying the 2020 election?"  

or better yet, phrase the question as, "Mr Trump, are you smart enough to tell people that Mike Pence should be hung so that you can continue being president?"

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think I know, but spell it out for the non-lawyers here.

It means that the DOJ is investigating and/or considering indictments for Trump's inner circle on the January 6 deal.

What people have been either pining for or saying "why not done" for the last 18 months.

nkfJIHo.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It means that the DOJ is investigating and/or considering indictments for Trump's inner circle on the January 6 deal.

What people have been either pining for or saying "why not done" for the last 18 months.

nkfJIHo.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Yeah, I knew the implications of this but I'll wait for the indictments before I get my hopes up.

The other nice thing is that when interviewed by the FBI they should be forced to answer truthfully or face perjury charges so that makes it more interesting that there are actual consequences for lying.

The amount of lying that has been going on makes this really interesting.  To the point that I don't know if some of them understand the truth anymore.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Yeah, I knew the implications of this but I'll wait for the indictments before I get my hopes up.

That wasn't specifically directed at you, more the royal you.

They're not impaneling grand juries and subpoena'ing witnesses for shits and giggles.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

It's DoJ, not J6 Committee.  Big difference.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF 
 Not trying to be glib. Pessimism should be the default, based upon numerous data points. Yes these things take awhile, but I’m just playing the cards we’ve been dealt for the past several years. I’ll be as glad as anyone to be proven wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

It's DoJ, not J6 Committee.  Big difference.

Well, DOJ generally does have better things to do than an investigation for political purposes only, never seriously seeking a conviction.

I'm not saying J6 is doing that, but see Benghazi, among others.

And DOJ can indict, convict and punish, and J6 cannot.

We know they've had grand juries indicting J6 participants at the lower levels, getting increasingly higher.  This is the first sign that they are closing in on Trump's inner circle.  There are probably some much lower profile people that have been subpoena'ed previously.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

nkfJIHo.gif&f=1&nofb=1

It's not happening.  It never will happen.

• Like 1

Oh boy, we got him now boys.  He has ten days.  Ten.   That's it!   If he doesn't comply in ten days he will get a really really sternly worded letter giving him another ten days under DIRECT threat of a third sternly composed letter, a official memo, and possibly an angry voice mail.  Oh Jordy is shitting his pants now!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

In the letter, dated May 31, Thompson remarked, in part: “Cooperation with our investigation would also give you the opportunity to resolve, on the record, inconsistencies in your public statements about the events of Jan. 6… For instance, you have offered inconsistent public statements regarding when and how many times you spoke with President Trump on Jan. 6… Accordingly, the Select Committee looks forward to your attendance at a deposition no later than June 11, 2022.” Jordan is one of five Republican House members, including House GOP leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), who the riot committee recently subpoenaed. So far, not a single one has conclusively indicated they’ll comply.

In Thompson’s letter to Jordan, the committee chairman noted that multiple federal court decisions have found the riot panel to be “duly constituted and empowered” — in contrast to right-wing arguments about the committee’s supposed lack of appropriate authority. It’s McCarthy’s own fault that there’s not further input from both sides of the chamber in the committee’s operations, which is something to which some opposing the committee have pointed — House Speaker Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) rejected two of McCarthy’s original choices for the committee, but he then punitively withdrew all of them, leaving the panel to members (including a couple Republicans) chosen by the House Democratic leader.

As reported on this site, a recent letter from a lawyer for McCarthy indicated he wants an explanation of the topics and documents committee members intend to use in a deposition, an overview of the committee’s argument for the legality and constitutionality of the process, a limit on questioning time to just an hour each for minority and majority counsel, and more — all before any actual testimony. Federal Judge Timothy Kelly is among those who’ve upheld the riot committee’s legitimacy in court. In proceedings surrounding a subpoena from the committee for records related to email fundraising campaigns of the national Republican Party, Kelly observed: “[T]he House views the Select Committee to be duly constituted and empowered to act… even though the Select Committee has only nine members.” He subsequently referenced the full House’s repeated adoptions of contempt findings made by the committee as evidence the chamber views it as legitimate.

The riot committee is preparing to start a new round of public hearings on June 9. At these hearings, members will be aiming to essentially lay out the case they’ve assembled regarding the riot for the American people. Among other points, it’s already repeatedly come up how closely Trump is, in fact, connected to what happened. The specific identities of who will be testifying at these imminent hearings don’t appear to have been publicly revealed yet.