The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

NPR's All Things Considered is so frightened of conservative backlash that they're pretending Gym is anything but a troll and that Kevin McCarthy had no idea Pelosi was going to veto his troll picks for this committee.

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Let's get this committee up and running. Nice work Speaker Pelosi. Actions have consequences. They could have had an independent commission, but refused. Fuck 'em. 

Yep.  McCarthy deliberately pissed this one away so that he wouldn't have to answer to Daddy Trump.

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or they are trying to get noticed by Trump.

Well, McCarthy and Jordan have definitely already been noticed. Hell, after Jordan helped to orchestrate and defend the insurrection, Trump awarded him the Medal of Freedom.

210128171847-trump-kevin-mccarthy-meetin

sub-buzz-26969-1609800806-39.jpg?resize=

And CNN and Politico came out yesterday with "Nancy Pelosi's veto played right into McCarthy's hands" hot takes.  Fully pushing McCarthy/GOP's "partisan committee" bullshit. 

• Rage+1 1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And CNN and Politico came out yesterday with "Nancy Pelosi's veto played right into McCarthy's hands" hot takes.  Fully pushing McCarthy/GOP's "partisan committee" bullshit. 

Fox News may set the standard for playing fast-and-loose with their hot takes and enraging their viewers and getting lots of clicks, but CNN has been quietly taking notes.

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, McCarthy and Jordan have definitely already been noticed. Hell, after Jordan helped to orchestrate and defend the insurrection, Trump awarded him the Medal of Freedom.

210128171847-trump-kevin-mccarthy-meetin

sub-buzz-26969-1609800806-39.jpg?resize=

Wait, did this really happen?  If so, the medal has lost all meaning. 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:31 PM, Biff Tannen said:

So what is their end goal here?  

McCarthy has one goal: be Speaker of the House after the 2022 elections.  Fuck everything else.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Wait, did this really happen?  If so, the medal has lost all meaning. 

It's basically a party favor at this point.

pi-beta-phi-custom-greek-symbolized-stad

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Gym, Rafael, Hawley, et al are still in office. 

The dispute was always about “can the legislative branch compel attendance of the executive branch” and the ultimate answer to that is probably not. The house legislative branch can compel testimony of its own members, or at least I gotta assume that’s the case for a particular house member. The opposite would not make sense. Have no idea about the senate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The dispute was always about “can the legislative branch compel attendance of the executive branch” and the ultimate answer to that is probably not. The house legislative branch can compel testimony of its own members, or at least I gotta assume that’s the case for a particular house member. The opposite would not make sense. Have no idea about the senate. 

Yep, rather than "probably not," it's more an issue of no one will know because the courts consider it a political question with separation of powers implications.

House subpoenaing Senate might still be a political question, but wouldn't have the separation of powers issue that make courts reluctant to be involved.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep, rather than "probably not," it's more an issue of no one will know because the courts consider it a political question with separation of powers implications.

House subpoenaing Senate might still be a political question, but wouldn't have the separation of powers issue that make courts reluctant to be involved.

Your last paragraph sounds like a good law review topic someone should write about if it hasn’t been covered. 

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Now?  Zero.  

I'm not talking about Republicans on the Committee - we all knew that Pelosi was never going to allow Gym on it.

I'm talking about people like Gym or Matt trying to disrupt the proceedings.

Lest we forget from 2019:

https://www.wired.com/story/republicans-storm-scif-national-security-nightmare/

IT SHOULD GO without saying: Don’t round up a bunch of your buddies and jostle your way into a highly secured government facility uninvited. But that's exactly what a group of Republican congressmen proudly did Wednesday morning. 

“BREAKING,” representative Matt Gaetz (R–Florida) tweeted at 11:32 am, “I led over 30 of my colleagues into the SCIF where Adam Schiff is holding secret impeachment depositions.” Schiff is the head of the House Intelligence Committee, who has led the recent inquiry into President Trump’s Ukraine imbroglio. (Deputy assistant secretary of defense Laura Cooper was scheduled to give a deposition this morning.) But while Gaetz and his cohorts may have fancied themselves Parisians storming the Bastille of cloak-and-dagger bureaucracy, all they’ve really accomplished is the violation of some extremely basic tenets of national security.

So when Gaetz and House minority whip Steve Scalise and their merry band of lawmakers literally barge into a SCIF—they finally left after a five-hour standoff—they’re not just causing a fuss. They’re making a mockery of national security and to a lesser extent putting it at risk. Especially the congressmen who, as numerous outlets have reported, brought their smartphones into the room.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not talking about Republicans on the Committee - we all knew that Pelosi was never going to allow Gym on it.

Due to the sensitive nature of the proceedings, security needs to be at the highest level possible. If Gym, Butthead or any other morons want to try to barge in then Capitol Police should shoot them on the spot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump isn't around to cover for them anymore.  It will be Zero.  Bank it.  You have my internet guarantee.

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Trump isn't around to cover for them anymore.  It will be Zero.  Bank it.  You have my internet guarantee.

Doesn't stop them from thinking they are bulletproof and can get away with anything they want.

Although it could be that a lot of the nuttier Trumpkin/Qanon types have now realized that Trump wasn't willing to give the 1/6 folks a pardon, or even spend a dime in their defense, and that might explain the lack of them trying to fuck around and find out at the Capitol or White House after Biden was sworn in.

But I still think there are plenty who are willing to do anything they can to prove their loyalty to Trump and get his endorsement and votes from his fans. Gym, Matt, and Marjorie are at the top of the list.

49 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Due to the sensitive nature of the proceedings, security needs to be at the highest level possible. If Gym, Butthead or any other morons want to try to barge in then Capitol Police should shoot them on the spot. 

Any gathering of 3 or more Republicans should be treated as a national security threat and potential domestic terror event

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Doesn't stop them from thinking they are bulletproof and can get away with anything they want.

They will try, but if they fail, they will have the usual press conferences with all the talking points ready to go regardless.

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They will try, but if they fail, they will have the usual press conferences with all the talking points ready to go regardless.

Something something "Nancy's brownshirt goons" kept us out of this meeting

19 minutes ago, miguelito said:

So what's the schedule for this thing?  There's a hearing or something tomorrow isn't there?

Looks like it:

Everything you need to know about Tuesday's hearing on the Jan. 6 insurrection

Jon Ward
Jon Ward
·Chief National Correspondent
Mon, July 26, 2021, 5:00 AM·11 min readAs Congress launches a powerful — albeit delayed — investigation into the causes of the Jan. 6 insurrection on Tuesday, Republicans are already calling it a partisan witch hunt.

But what exactly does that mean? That any panel with more Democrats than Republicans is so political its findings can be ignored or dismissed?

https://news.yahoo.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-tuesdays-hearings-on-the-jan-6-insurrection-090012712.html

• Hook 'Em 1