CWS Game 14: Texas vs Mississippi State - super elimination edition

immamac

I have seen this question asked multiple times but haven't seen it answered.  Why were we the visiting team?

Craig stated on the radio that the way the home team was selected was that they compared the two teams and looked at how many times each team had been the home team.  We had been the home team twice in four games and MSU had been the team once in three games.  Therefore MSU was the home team.

I have no idea why that this the rule but that is the rule.

Edited by TexasGary
sp

7 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I have seen this question asked multiple times but haven't seen it answered.  Why were we the visiting team?

Craig stated on the radio that the way the home team was selected was that they compared the two teams and looked at how many times each team had been the home team.  We had been the home team twice in four games and MSU had been the team once in three games.  Therefore MSU was the home team.

image.png.89b8156ddea34cd30c5deeb71dba51df.png

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/6/16/22536994/2021-college-world-series-bracket-teams-playing-format-double-elimination-rules-who-is-home-team

7 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Seems like until a game involves two teams that have both lost the higher seeded team and or the team that has initially gone 2-0 should get home designation.  Once you get to a point where both teams have a loss flip a fucking coin.  

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Yes I agree but losing game two you have to win the same number as losing the first.  And Gus played in a format that made the losers bracket absolutely impossible for sure. Either way yeah you gotta win the first I agree.

It’s more of setting the tone going forward. Game 2 is less of a stressor when your not facing elimination and the confidence is there. You don’t want to spend the whole time there playing elimintion games before you’ve even gotten settled in. Much harder to play loose and play your game. Dropping game 2 becomes less likely in that scenario with the confidence in place. Plus, if you drop game 2 after winning the fist one you feel better about coming back to game three knowing you can win since you already have. Game 1 IMO is a must.

I don't give a fuck what the rule is - you should not be allowed to be the home team back to back in a two game elim series. If that means we were the home team twice vs. once against MSU then so be it. Alternate it. MSU was already through 2 games as the away team which is kind of moot in my book.

47 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I am not anti-bunt but it shouldn’t be automatic.

When Hodo popped it up, he was moving them over for Faltine and Ardoin who have been terrible. Hodo damn near hit it out the prior at bat. That is as dumb as it gets. Daly had some good swings this game. I’d hit and run him in the 9th.

From an offensive strategy standpoint Augie was not great. But he was seemingly less bunt in the postseason than regular while Pierce has seemingly been the opposite. While at Texas, Augies teams were largely pitching and defense. Majewski was incredible with RISP. There were other great players but really half of Augies tenure had mediocre offense. I’d assume that philosophy chased one guy from Texas even though he had Big 12 player of the year potential. It’s also not commmon for someone to be a better big league hitter than college hitter - Belt. I do view the selfless nature of the 4hole hitter bunting as a positive

One of the other "insider" knocks on Garrido is that we were way behind on technology.  Swing analysis and high-speed cameras and all that good stuff.  That left us behind in recruiting and talent.  I think Harmon flat got tired and lazy, and Nicholson may have been impaired by the program generally: big park, rudimentary hitting instruction, etc.

Funny thing, though.  The same type of mechanics analysis is done for pitching.  I don't know if our long string of solid pitching coaches kept up with that or not.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't give a fuck what the rule is - you should not be allowed to be the home team back to back in a two game elim series. If that means we were the home team twice vs. once against MSU then so be it. Alternate it. MSU was already through 2 games as the away team which is kind of moot in my book.

who gives a shit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh yeah. Even when we finish #3 in the country and they suck shit they can smugly claim victory because SECSECSEC.

It is a dream come true really. All they ever really wanted.

Technically we would have finished ahead of them in the SEC too. Looks like we finished behind Miss St and Vandy. We beat Tennessee and whatever else knocked out the sec. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

who gives a shit?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

image.gif.a833ce2915690d8272860c718b267cf0.gif

Batting last is a strategic advantage. You both know what you need to do going into each inning and can walk it off. Basic game theory.

It's like teeing off behind or playing behind someone else.

Edited by ztejas

Just dropping by to say how proud I am of the team.   Tough way to go out but this team battled the whole way. My 7 year old saw her first Texas baseball game this year so all she knows is that we go to Omaha.  Here's to getting back soon.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Batting last is a strategic advantage. You both know what you need to do going into each inning and can walk it off. Basic game theory.

Theoretically, yes.  If you don't have to factor in individual and team performance.

Because college baseball players are not automatons or robots, about the most advantage it really confers is psychological, if it's a close game.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Thanks for explaining baseball to me, sport.  But whining on us not being the home team is a waste of time.  There’s real things in our control to bitch about  

But I don’t expect much else from you.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Great season. Tuff loss.  MSU got a hit and we didn't; simple as that.

Though they fell a bit short, they played well and represented themselves in a very admirable manner.

Lotsa praise from outsiders, reluctant recogition that Texas played well in all facets of the game, especially the small ball dynamic that is not a staple of SEC teams. Ivan's HR is legendary.

This was a very good Team, one of the best Texas has sent to Omaha in a long while.

My biggest complaint is the parade of looking at called third strikes.

Perhaps introduce watching game film of prior games as a cool for performance improvement. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Might have been posted somewhere.  But why did MSU get to be the “home” team two games in a row?  

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We were the highest seed in the field and were away more than we were home. They should probably tinker with those rules a bit. 

Omaha is a neutral site for a reason. Your seed only gives you a first day and finals advantage.  You were already given home field advantages in the regional and supers  

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But we weren’t the home team each game. Same rules as above I believe. 

In the Super, game two the host team is the visiting team.  The Omaha rules try to equal things out.  Not perfect by any stretch and there is always the chance as we saw the past two games the one team gets to be the “home” twice in a row which the Super rules insure doesn’t happen.   That’s why a coin flip would work best for each game and it would keep us blabbering idiots from making it a topic.  

I woke up with a twinge of "what if" but more than anything the clear knowledge that this Program is back.  Motherfucker's its BACK.  LSU down, USC dead, we are only going to increase our hold as the most consistent, most prestigious program in the country.  Can't wait for 2022.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

On paper yes. Augie used to prefer being the away team in certain tournament games. If you have a pitching advantage and a strong bullpen you can jump on the other team early and get them in panic mode. Especially at the college level.

Welp, that about does 'er.  Wraps 'er all up.  Things seem to have worked out pretty good for Zube and Ivan, and it was a pert good season, don't ya think?  Made me laugh to beat the band...parts anyway.  I don't like seeing Jersey Mike go, but then I happen to know there's more young studs on the way.  I guess that's how the whole dern baseball thing keeps perpetuatin' itself...down through the generations; westward the wagons; across the sands of time until we...aww, look at me, I'm  ramblin' again.  Well, I hope you folks enjoyed yerselves.  Catch ya later on down the trail.

Say friend, you got anymore of that good sasparilla?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

We were the highest seed in the field and were away more than we were home. They should probably tinker with those rules a bit. 

First thing they should do is re-seed the teams that make the final tourney so that all 8 get a number.  Always advocated that.  Then the higher number gets H-A-H as necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

First thing they should do is re-seed the teams that make the final tourney so that all 8 get a number.  Always advocated that.  Then the higher number gets H-A-H as necessary.

Nah, that's crap.  Re-seed and you take away some of the advantage a cinderella has created for themselves by getting an upset in the Supers.  Like NC State this year (before the Covid takedown).  They went into Fayettenam and took down the #1 team in the country.  If you re-seed then they are possibly rewarded with facing the #2 team in the country right off the bat?

I think that would be shitty and take an element of excitement out of the process.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Like 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Nah, that's crap.  Re-used and you take away some of the advantage a cinderella has created for themselves by getting an upset in the Supers.  Like NC State this year (before the Covid takedown).  They went into Fayettenam and took down the #1 team in the country.  Of you re-send then they are possibly rewarded with facing the #2 team in the country right off the bat?

I think that would be shitty and take an element of excitement out of the process.

Your spell check needs to make up its mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

I woke up with a twinge of "what if" but more than anything the clear knowledge that this Program is back.  Motherfucker's its BACK.  LSU down, USC dead, we are only going to increase our hold as the most consistent, most prestigious program in the country.  Can't wait for 2022.

This sooo much.

The overall state of the entire athletic program is so much fun right now.

2004-2009 was a heck of a run. It’s going to be great topping that for the next decade. Everything is set up perfectly to go on a tear. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Welp, that about does 'er.  Wraps 'er all up.  Things seem to have worked out pretty good for Zube and Ivan, and it was a pert good season, don't ya think?  Made me laugh to beat the band...parts anyway.  I don't like seeing Jersey Mike go, but then I happen to know there's more young studs on the way.  I guess that's how the whole dern baseball thing keeps perpetuatin' itself...down through the generations; westward the wagons; across the sands of time until we...aww, look at me, I'm  ramblin' again.  Well, I hope you folks enjoyed yerselves.  Catch ya later on down the trail.

Say friend, you got anymore of that good sasparilla?

Well done

18 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Where's the "r"? You know, the one that sure as shit shouldn't belong in the word but some dumbass fuckin' yankee put it in there back in the 1870's? That "r". 

Had to look this one up...had no idea what you were referring to.  Yeah, Sarsaparilla just sounds wrong.