2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

8 minutes ago, torre said:

Yes,  but infielder in high school.    With the transfers (Messinger, O'Dowd) seems he will remain in OF and/or DH.   No idea if he is a 1B candidate.

Someone needs to replace Antico. I would think outfield is most likely for him. Probably Ivan at 1B - Faltine at short, Messinger at 3rd, Todd/Powell DH?

I'm not sure O'Dowd will play much as a true soph. He barely played at all last year - granted Vandy is always stacked but so are we. 

On 7/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Ugh.  Drew's a good kid/guy and his family is super nice.  His Dad was an editorial cartoonist and artist for DMN for a number of years and is a UT grad and former football player.

What is the back story here? Seems sudden and it’s not like is a time zone away.

Eckhardt has great raw stuff.  Looks like his TJS recovery is going well.  

Having said that, it's not often you see a redshirt freshmen, in 2021...pitching in front of a 1989 GMC van with mini-blinds.  Creepy as fuck...

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Eckhardt has great raw stuff.  Looks like his TJS recovery is going well.  

Having said that, it's not often you see a redshirt freshmen, in 2021...pitching in front of a 1989 GMC van with mini-blinds.  Creepy as fuck...

If it's rockin' don't bother knockin'. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When is his current contract up?

It technically ends Autumn of 2022 (in terms of payments).  But it was effectively for 6 seasons (2017-2022).  He just completed his fifth season for us (I'm assuming for contract purposes, the 2020 season still counts as a full one).  As is custom, he'd probably like to go into his final season with a new contract wrapped up.  I'd prefer we wait a little longer before dishing out an extension, but the expedition may be to also help secure his assistant staff which is among the best in the nation but could leave at any time.  

tl; dr---this is very standard and good timing for all involved

The Herman extension and Shaka extension were the two dumbest fucking blunders our Athletic Dept./BOR ever made.  Everything will look brilliant compared to those two moves for a long time to come.  

7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I hope Pierce presents an itinerary for visiting all of the sec ballparks with the objective to give CDC ideas for bringing D-F into this century.  There’s some catching up to do … 

I like this idea.  I would like to volunteer to accompany him.  The footprint really hamstrings what we can do.  Main concourse needs a major upgrade but the bones are the bones.  Still like to see something nice along the left-field line besides food trucks.  I dunno what though.  I think it was another thread, but we talked about moving that service road back towards the tennis center and filling in that area either a taller grass berm or some permanent stands that would connect over in the LF corner to the main ballpark.  and an elevated rooftop option across the street in RF.  I like our park, I don't think it's bad as many make it out to be, but it'll go from one of the better ones in the Big XII to the Bottom 3 in the SEC sadly. 

I think after Moody Arena is completed, CDC will turn towards refreshing DFF again.  Not really any other major capital projects on the horizon after Moody.  I would have thought they would move/demo the Jamail Swim Center.  But they just put in an outdoor pool there for several million and modernized some parts of the inside.  With the Innovation/medical district spreading up that way, it's a curious place to house a 3,000 person nadatorium.  

I'm sure Plonsky will demand we put $30mm into Gregory Gym or some shit.  The whole advantage of that venue is its age and compactness.  

The 2023 baseball season versus SEC teams will be a blast.  If I'm reading it right, each SEC team plays 10 conference series.  You play your 6 division opponents and then 4 from the other division.  I'm guessing in a "pod system", we'd play our 3, and then 2 from each of the other 3 pods to get to 9 series.  Which works out well for us since we have more marquee non-conf. opponents further out to play.  

31 minutes ago, Balcones said:

What is the alternative?  An new contract? No contract?

Someone is just being a fucking idiot.  Pierce is not a lame duck and his job isn't in jeopardy after a 3rd place CWS finish.  It's time for his new contract/extension of his current contract.

Pretty standard.  It's not like an extension for a guy who finished in the bottom half of conference and missed the postseason and it's an "extension" to salvage recruiting.   Or an extension 2 or 3 years in.  He's literally 5 years in to a 6 year deal and has earned a new one. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Pretty standard.  It's not like an extension for a guy who finished in the bottom half of conference and missed the postseason and it's an "extension" to salvage recruiting.   Or an extension 2 or 3 years in.  He's literally 5 years in to a 6 year deal and has earned a new one. 

Well said,  with the exception of the idiot comment about our resident North Loop.    😊

Pierce certainly has earned and deserves an extension.   Key will be for how many years ( ideally, not more than 2-3 with a fair, realistic buyout).

As for the staff,  Tulo,  where would we be... ?     Sean Allen and Phil Miller,  recruiting and talent evaluators - second to none.   Development,  let's wait a year or two before they claim a spot among the elite.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Someone is just being a fucking idiot.  Pierce is not a lame duck and his job isn't in jeopardy after a 3rd place CWS finish.  It's time for his new contract/extension of his current contract.

The turnaround from 2019 has been pretty incredible. Going into last season I was expecting finishing 3rd or 4th in conference and being the 2 seed in Oxford or Fayetteville or whatever. Pierce got the train rolling. Now bring home number 7 next year, please. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, RollLeft said:

image.png.ca779a0cd3bc2c5ebb1f9fb1325b0cd4.png

Or ending your season damn near every year as we sweep your ass on our way to Omaha 

I know they’re aggy, but seriously? Wanna compare CWS trips? Conference titles? National titles? Total wins in Omaha? Didn’t think so 

Edited by Fletch

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

image.png.ca779a0cd3bc2c5ebb1f9fb1325b0cd4.png

This is a perfect example of why aggy was, is, and always will be a national joke.

No matter where they run, no matter which other school’s program’s success they adopt as their own, no matter how much they crow about winning a mid-week game in a season they didn’t even make their own conference tournament, aggy was, is, and always will be a second-rate school for perpetual losers. 

244-128-5.

Texas has no need to wish for domination over aggy in yet another sport. It’s already a reality. 

So aggy must celebrate a meaningless mid-week win as that is the epitome of aggy success. Meanwhile, Texas was disappointed in only winning as many games in Omaha this year as aggy has in history. 

I’m glad this whole SEC thing has exposed aggy to the world as the insecure little loser bitches we always knew. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

This is a perfect example of why aggy was, is, and always will be a national joke.

No matter where they run, no matter which other school’s program’s success they adopt as their own, no matter how much they crow about winning a mid-week game in a season they didn’t even make their own conference tournament, aggy was, is, and always will be a second-rate school for perpetual losers. 

244-128-5.

Texas has no need to wish for domination over aggy in yet another sport. It’s already a reality. 

So aggy must celebrate a meaningless mid-week win as that is the epitome of aggy success. Meanwhile, Texas was disappointed in winning more games in Omaha this year than aggy has in history. 

I’m glad this whole SEC thing has exposed aggy to the world as the insecure little loser bitches we always knew. 

fify

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Get used to what? Them winning an occasional game against us while we head to Omaha every other year? 

It's truly something watching them say this to the 2021 3rd place finisher in the CWS because they won a meaningless mid-week game. 

If somebody wanted to make a list of teams that have beaten Texas in one-off mid-week games but not won a game in Omaha in 20+ years...it would be a very interesting list indeed.  

we were paying Mack Brown, if you include some kinda NPV of his defined benefit plan, about $850k which is what Pierce made in 2020...through 2016.  

The money we flush down the toilet in the football program is embarrassing.  Our baseball program had to put that indoor training center on hold for years because of our program waste.  Cleve Bryant was pulling down mid-6 figures for a decade.  His responsibilities were literally to emcee the Austin Longhorn Club lunches, he set the bus schedule for all home and away games, and then to walk around campus sexually harassing women.  So he probably grossed $4mm from us over the years to do almost nothing except torment people.  

What were we talking about?  Oh yeah, about a year after Moody is opened up, and the big university-wide capital campaign enters its public phase, and we join a more baseball-forward conference in the SEC...an expansion/improvement plan for Disch-Falk will be laid out.  

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pierce makes like what, 1M a year? Even if Texas extends him 4-5 years and he winds up completely melting down the program somehow his buyout will be chump change compared to fucking Herman and Charlie.

New contract - $1.2 million through 2026.

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Big 12 was one of the conferences who voted against the 3rd paid assistant proposal. 

So I'm guessing the conference blowing up could change the outcome of another vote on the proposal. 

Could we add Childress to the staff as a pitching coach and kick aggys ass with him? And yeah wtf is the sec shit slinging towards us? We’re the best college baseball program there is. Simple as that. Moving to the sec, playing Arkansas, lsu and the Mississippi schools is no different than playing tech, tcu, and okie lite. Then aggy Missouri, and the bama schools are the sec version of Baylor and West Virginia. Oh and we’re fucking Texas. We should play the best and beat the best like we always do. Sec baseball is gonna kick so much ass and they better stock up on lube. They’re gonna need it 

• Hook 'Em 1

So, what’re we gonna do with Stehly, Lance Ford, Payton Powell and Gieb? Adding the Kansas and Vanderbilt transfers makes a pretty crowded infield, well, more crowded. Along with the studs we’re bringing in this recruiting class

On 7/30/2021 at 10:03 AM, Texas Wahoo said:

Can anyone give a synapsis of this paywalled article?  Interested to see if it says anything about scholarship limits, etc.

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/the-d1baseball-podcast-sec-addition-reaction-extended-draft-analysis/

Don't subscribe to D1,  but first 17 minutes of this podcast may cover some points of referenced article.   Summary: (if you listen,  may have other takes)

-  SEC will be more powerful,  possibly influencing more scholarships

-  OU will need to "step up" in baseball to be competitive in the SEC  ,  especially facility wise.

-  Texas relinquished power to join the SEC including the LHN and B12 conference prestige.

-  Outlook bleak for conference baseball for remaining members  possibly with the exception of Tech if they go to the P12 and if WVU goes to ACC.  (not sure I agree,  TCU. OKSt, and Baylor also can compete like the non P5 West Coast and Florida/Carolinas schools.  They will need a strong ooc schedule for RPI but you don't necessarily want them in your Regional as a 3/4 seed).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

So, what’re we gonna do with Stehly, Lance Ford, Payton Powell and Gieb? Adding the Kansas and Vanderbilt transfers makes a pretty crowded infield, well, more crowded. Along with the studs we’re bringing in this recruiting class

Maybe they just don't cut it.  Nothing against those guys, but it's a sign of a healthy program when individuals who have contributed before are pushed out by (possibly) better players. Exhibit 1: Coy Cobb, who started quite a few games for us in 2019 and 2020, barely found his way to the mound in 2021.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 11:39 AM, torre said:

-  Texas relinquished power to join the SEC including the LHN …

… which is to say possibly (probably) the best college baseball production anywhere.

I couldn’t care less about the redundant “Longhorn Legends” chest beating or even the weekly reruns of VY’s Rose Bowl.  But, we will sorely miss live productions, especially Moreland and Swindell from the Disch. 🤬

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Watching any of the CWS games on tv will make you realize what a great job the LHN did with UT baseball.  The actual baseball games in the SEC will be good, but watching them on tv is going to be a beating.

Spot on. Craig is going to get a lot of run for me. I have no intention of listening to the Tom Harts or Ben McDonalds of the world. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Watching any of the CWS games on tv will make you realize what a great job the LHN did with UT baseball.*  The actual baseball games in the SEC will be good, but watching them on tv is going to be a beating.

*So long as Lowell wasn't in the booth.

IF the SEC/ESPN were smart, they would try to hire Zeke and Moreland to call games on the SEC Network.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

*So long as Lowell wasn't in the booth.

IF the SEC/ESPN were smart, they would try to hire Zeke and Moreland to call games on the SEC Network.

Surely they'll still call our home games...right?