2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jeff Howe on what Pierce said after the game about the bullpen. Also said Morehouse/Stevens are still the two for the 3rd starter spot and that Stevens is working through confidence issues:

— On the pitching plan, Texas used Luke Harrison, Marcus Olivarez, Jared Southard, LeBarron Johnson Jr. and Aaron Nixon tonight. Pierce said those are the bullpen arms they're going to use in the postseason.

What did he say about Trey's batting average and plummeting draft stock? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What did he say about Trey's batting average and plummeting draft stock? 

Man, nice to know I am always on our mind like that.

He went 1 for 4 tonight and is now 3 for his last 31 with 19k’s. His defense was excellent again and that will need to carry him until he shows some signs of life at the plate.

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He went 1 for 4 tonight and is now 3 for his last 31 with 19k’s. His defense was excellent again and that will need to carry him until he shows some signs of life at the plate.

You realize that you're making fun of yourself at this point, right? 

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You two need to get a room.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

You realize that you're making fun of yourself at this point, right? 

Message me directly if you have any further issues with what I say. I’m trying to discuss this team on this thread and you refuse to get over something we don’t see eye to eye on. Welcome to a message board and welcome to life. Happy to continue to this conversation privately if what I say really hurts you that much. 

Edited by Hookem2147

RPI sitting at 18 this morning. One small nugget I found interesting is College of Charleston is now up to 54 in RPI. They are 18-3 in conference play and just beat Clemson in a midweek last night. If they sneak into the top 50 and that loss becomes a Q1 instead of a Q2 loss and that certainly won’t hurt.

Alabama is also sitting at 51 in RPI so that has a chance to become a Q1 sweep. They are @ Auburn this weekend.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If THERE, or ANY OTHER REGIONAL, our road is not going to be easy.

NCAA does not like us getting to Omaha and if we miss out on having our own, they will stick it to us and give us a tough path in regionals, or in pairings for a Super should we get through someone else's regional.

Still not sure what happened in Manhattan on Friday and Saturday, but not winning on Sunday against OK St and WV are looming large. We need to win our remaining season games and then get one or two wins at least in the Big XII tourney to have any hope of hosting at the Disch.

19 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Still not sure what happened in Manhattan on Friday and Saturday, 

On Friday, Pierce missed the obvious warning signs that Hansen was tiring and let him throw meatballs in the 6th inning, when he was clearly done.  On Saturday, the KSU pitcher threw the game of his life and Stevens was just adequate. Shit like Saturday's game happens in baseball. Pierce's Friday fuck-up was rather disastrous though.

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

RPI sitting at 18 this morning. One small nugget I found interesting is College of Charleston is now up to 54 in RPI. They are 18-3 in conference play and just beat Clemson in a midweek last night. If they sneak into the top 50 and that loss becomes a Q1 instead of a Q2 loss and that certainly won’t hurt.

Alabama is also sitting at 51 in RPI so that has a chance to become a Q1 sweep. They are @ Auburn this weekend.

Our predicted RPI based on winning out is now 18 versus 24 before Tuesday's game.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Our predicted RPI based on winning out is now 18 versus 24 before Tuesday's game.

If we win out and have an RPI inside the top 20 heading to Arlington, we will have a very good chance to be playing baseball at the Disch in June.

Edited by Hookem2147

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Worth the 25 minute listen.   Multitask and give it a try.

Kendall:

-  Win out,  win 2 in Arlington, very good chance to host

-  Money (school guaranteeing certain amount) does not have weight it did before in selecting hosts. 

-  Discuss pitching rotation.     Kendall likes Luke Harrison.

-  Kendall sounds positive there will be an increase in scholarships and coaches.   

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, torre said:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Worth the 25 minute listen.   Multitask and give it a try.

Kendall:

-  Win out,  win 2 in Arlington, very good chance to host

Money (school guaranteeing certain amount) does not have weight it did before in selecting hosts. 

-  Discuss pitching rotation.     Kendall likes Luke Harrison.

-  Kendall sounds positive there will be an increase in scholarships and coaches.   

There’s no way I believe that. 

RPI sitting at 18 right now but predicted RPI (which has us winning out) has us at 21, which is no bueno. Sam Houston State is sitting at 108 in RPI so there's a chance that becomes a Q2 game if they finish strong. Kansas dropped below 150 in RPI today so they are now a Q4 team. They could do us a favor and beat Missouri in their last midweek game before traveling to Austin. It's possible that could bump them back up into Q3 territory.

Edited by Hookem2147

Yep. RPI won’t help with Kansas and Sam wins. Only way to improve is having our earlier schedule continue to do well. The predictions don’t account for conference tournaments either, so we can improve there.

I haven’t looked at all scenarios, but there may still be a remote shot at winning the conference?

edit: nevermind. I see Tech and OU play last series. Texas can’t pass them.

Edited by Balcones

I'm interested to see how Pierce handles the starting pitching in the upcoming 4 games.  The possibility is very high that we finish 4th or 5th in the conference, which means we'd play the 9:00 a.m. game next Wednesday. I think the only way we can finish third is if we sweep, OSU gets swept and OU wins no more than one game against Tech.

Go with Stevens tomorrow night and hope he finally figures shit out? Then he can maybe throw an inning on Saturday or Sunday and come back on Wednesday?  Pete and Lucas on Friday/Sat, then roll with Olivarez/Morehouse/Southard on Sunday?

Tech and Vandy solidifying themselves as regional hosts this weekend is not good news for us. We are going to need a deep run in the tournament and some RPI magic over the next few weeks. I am always conflicted about the conference tournament because I have long been a believer that it doesn't mean much big picture wise and burning through arms could actually hurt you the following week during regional play, but we have no other choice this year if we want to sneak in the backdoor to host.

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

I'm interested to see how Pierce handles the starting pitching in the upcoming 4 games.  The possibility is very high that we finish 4th or 5th in the conference, which means we'd play the 9:00 a.m. game next Wednesday. I think the only way we can finish third is if we sweep, OSU gets swept and OU wins no more than one game against Tech.

Go with Stevens tomorrow night and hope he finally figures shit out? Then he can maybe throw an inning on Saturday or Sunday and come back on Wednesday?  Pete and Lucas on Friday/Sat, then roll with Olivarez/Morehouse/Southard on Sunday?

My prediction:  shit show.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tech and Vandy solidifying themselves as regional hosts this weekend is not good news for us. We are going to need a deep run in the tournament and some RPI magic over the next few weeks. I am always conflicted about the conference tournament because I have long been a believer that it doesn't mean much big picture wise and burning through arms could actually hurt you the following week during regional play, but we have no other choice this year if we want to sneak in the backdoor to host.

We aren't hosting.  Easier to just accept it now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

The Kansas series is Thurs - Sat.

Sweeping Kansas is a must.    Did Stevens ask to come out of the starting rotation ?    If not,  I would put him back in on a short leash because of experience.  The others have few starts and only Morehouse a conference start against WVU which did not go well.    Give him a chance at redemption as the others haven't really impressed and/or lack starter experience.   Would consider starting  Tuesday the pitcher you are going to depend on as your 4th starter.    

Edited by torre

Yeah, traditionally teams usually throw their midweek guy in the first game of the conference tournament and then turn to their normal rotation on normal rest in the following games. Although last year I think we threw Madden on 5 days rest in the first game so maybe Pierce doesn't believe in that. We probably need to do whatever we can to get in the winners bracket and try to shorten the number of arms we have to use.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1