2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

Not going to lie, I’m not expecting to host!!!! But I’m not mad, it’s “OUR” fault. . No need to be mad at the NCAA for the rankings, if we would have handled business we wouldn’t be in this situation. . No one to blame but ourselves 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Not going to lie, I’m not expecting to host!!!! But I’m not mad, it’s “OUR” fault. . No need to be mad at the NCAA for the rankings, if we would have handled business we wouldn’t be in this situation. . No one to blame but ourselves 

I for one am willing to admit that my game has not been up to par during conference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

D1 Chat:

Can you handicap the Big 12 hosting scenarios for us? Tech all of the sudden looks like a host, but the RPI isn’t there. Texas has a much better RPI, but only 11-10 in the league. If Texas finishes 14-10 and only 2 games back of league champ TCU or TTU, can they snatch a host bid from one of those schools? Or can they just add a third Big 12 host?

Yeah the Big 12 hosting picture is pretty fascinating. Both of the teams at the top of the standings, TCU and Texas Tech, are mid-30s in the RPI, which is normally not where you want to be as a host candidate, of course. But it feels like a scenario where the committee will make an exception for the Big 12 champion, we've seen that sort of thing before. OK State is still in good RPI shape at No. 12 and solid enough in the standings, so they're a host. I think I agree with your thinking that if Texas sweeps that last series to get to 14-10, it could move into hosting position too. But a lot could be decided at the conference tourney. Fun race to watch. Even Oklahoma is still in the mix.

Example of importance of RPI:

Texas Tech and Arkansas have been in the Top 20 for the entire season and have really good series wins, but the RPI is not as high as you would think.  Maryland is at 11 in the RPI, higher than both of those teams.  What would the pecking order be for those three teams when it comes to regional hosting?

This is such a fascinating question, because it really is a test of how much weight the committee is going to put on the RPI this year. Last year, we expected the committee would use the RPI less, because all the weird COVID-related scheduling stuff really made it have less meaning -- but when the dust settled it was still almost straight RPI all the way through that bracket. So if that's the case again, you'd have to think Maryland will be ahead of Arkansas and Tech. The fact that Maryland has managed to build a No. 11 RPI as a team in the Big Ten is very loud, and the Terps are also atop their league. That's just a really good body of work.

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

Why would you ever be mad at the NCAA for rankings? Seeding on the other hand.

But you're right, Texas has nobody to blame but themselves. The mid-season swoon erased any chance at a Top 8 and the OSU sweep will likely cost them a shot at hosting. I think I'd rather be a 2 seed on the road with a full complement of arms than a 1 seed that just went through the entire staff to win a conference tournament. And wouldn't the weakest 1 get the strongest 2? This team needs everyone rested and ready to roll for Game 1 of the Regional wherever that may be if they are going to have any chance to advance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

. And wouldn't the weakest 1 get the strongest 2? 

You would think so.  That's why I don't get the prediction of playing in Fayetteville.  

Just announced:

TUESDAY–Texas RHP Zane Morehouse (2-0, 4.56) vs. Sam Houston RHP Matt Rudis (0-4, 8.05)

Edited by zlavydra
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

But you're right, Texas has nobody to blame but themselves. The mid-season swoon erased any chance at a Top 8 and the OSU sweep will likely cost them a shot at hosting. I think I'd rather be a 2 seed on the road with a full complement of arms than a 1 seed that just went through the entire staff to win a conference tournament. And wouldn't the weakest 1 get the strongest 2? This team needs everyone rested and ready to roll for Game 1 of the Regional wherever that may be if they are going to have any chance to advance.

Yeah. Would they have the balls to put us as the 2 seed in the San Marcos regional? That’d be a nice matchup for us 

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Have you met the NCAA Baseball committee?

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah. Would they have the balls to put us as the 2 seed in the San Marcos regional? That’d be a nice matchup for us 

not to be a pussy  ,but the bobcats, they  might have something for our ass . furk can't believe i just typed that

7 hours ago, D3zii said:

Absolutely. We put ourselves in this situation by getting swept by OSU.

But it isn't over yet. Still games and a tournament to be played.

27 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

not to be a pussy  ,but the bobcats, they  might have something for our ass . furk can't believe i just typed that

Everybody in the tournament might have something for our ass. But if we get into it, we have a chance.

59 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

32 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Everybody in the tournament might have something for our ass. But if we get into it, we have a chance.

We’re Texas. Yeah yeah I know last 10 years whatever. But we’re fucking Texas and something about that uniform scares opponents to death in baseball and something about that uniform elevates our play come June. We’re THE premier college baseball program. Everyone hates us but they’ve never been able to stop us as we routinely waltz into Omaha. Bring on Texas state. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We’re Texas. Yeah yeah I know last 10 years whatever. But we’re fucking Texas and something about that uniform scares opponents to death in baseball and something about that uniform elevates our play come June. We’re THE premier college baseball program. Everyone hates us but they’ve never been able to stop us as we routinely waltz into Omaha. Bring on Texas state. 

I sometimes have a hard time figuring real life thoughts and sarcasm. This is one of those times.

24 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I sometimes have a hard time figuring real life thoughts and sarcasm. This is one of those times.

Honestly both. The jerseys are just jerseys but no matter how good or bad we are, we’re typically always playing our best ball come late May and June. 2015 we were terrible all year then won the conference tournament and gave Oregon state all they could handle then of course we fell apart and that was that. The 2014 team had no business doing what they did based on regular season results. Our 2017, 2018 and 2021 teams all played their best ball in late May and June. We have a sick ass lineup, especially with Kennedy returning. If I were a fan of a hosting team, the last team I’d want as a 2 seed is us. Melendez, Hansen(when he’s on) and the development of Gordon would have me pretty nervous as an opposing fan. Weirder shit has happened than a team like ours this year making an Omaha run. Like you being correct on any topic 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

15 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Have you met the NCAA Baseball committee?

Yeah the NCAA postseason committees are extremely inconsistent on when they use a true S-curve or focus more on geography and cutting down on expenses. 

A true S curve would have the highest #2 seed (#17) at the lowest #1 seed (#16) but they'll also factor in geography to avoid paying less in flights and trying to avoid already played matchups if possible.  And a sprinkling of viewership/eyeballs. 

I.e., it's easier to send Texas to College Station based on geography as the 2-seed, but TCU/A&M > Texas/A&M and Arky/Texas > TCU/Arky. Not a huge difference sending Texas to the #6 or #9 overall seed, but to the committee, more people are going to tune TCU/A&M for the storyline and Arky/Texas for the historic rivalry.  Plus Texas and A&M played already this year. 

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The committee clearly loves putting Texas and Texas A&M in the same regional. They seem to do it every chance they get.

But now they have the "A&M stole TCU's coach" revenge story! 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

The committee clearly loves putting Texas and Texas A&M in the same regional. They seem to do it every chance they get.

Please let this happen. We’d fuck their shit up. These games would actually matter. aggy doesn’t know how to win games that matter 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTPhil2006 said:

Throw Gordon in the 2/3 game and then let Hansen fuck their shit up Game 2?

I’m cool either way. But Hansen deserves to have that Hollingsworth or Case type of legendary game against those fuckers. Like complete game shutout with 12 Ks in a 7-0 ass beating that’s over the moment Melendez launches a 3 run homer in the top of the first. No “BALLLLL SIX BALLLL SIX” or stupid fucking bubbles. Kennedy and Todd singles then image.gif.92af7b856ed2de857d7848b4fadeb3fe.gif

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

They might just love putting aggy and frog together a little more based on recent history. I'm too lazy to look it up, but seem to recall that being a Regional or SR matchup quite a few times over the last decade or so.

17 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

They might just love putting aggy and frog together a little more based on recent history. I'm too lazy to look it up, but seem to recall that being a Regional or SR matchup quite a few times over the last decade or so.

Yeah there was a streak where TCU would beat A&M in the Supers for awhile I think.

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah there was a streak where TCU would beat A&M in the Supers for awhile I think.

They met at the CS regional in 2012 and 2015-2016 in supers
Texas and A&M met in the Rice regional in 2014 and the Austin regional in 2018 (both years TCU missed the NCAAT)

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’m cool either way. But Hansen deserves to have that Hollingsworth or Case type of legendary game against those fuckers. Like complete game shutout with 12 Ks in a 7-0 ass beating that’s over the moment Melendez launches a 3 run homer in the top of the first. No “BALLLLL SIX BALLLL SIX” or stupid fucking bubbles. Kennedy and Todd singles then image.gif.92af7b856ed2de857d7848b4fadeb3fe.gif

My favorite aspect of this has always been that it took Ivan .5 a second to know he got it. Love to see it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, petscii said:

I'm rooting for him to hit 45 for the season.

Yep. And for our team average to be around .650 the rest of the year with a 1.30 era from our pitching staff. So just do that and lets dogpile a 7th time. Easy enough, right? 

Actually I’m pretty sure our 04 team had probably damn close to those team numbers in the post season. I’ve never seen a team fucking slaughter everyone they play until…..say how bout the game tonight!?!?!?

On 5/16/2022 at 3:06 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

I think I'd rather be a 2 seed on the road with a full complement of arms than a 1 seed that just went through the entire staff to win a conference tournament.

I'd rather take my chance at home and a Big 12 Championship than going 0-2. Besides since when has rest helped our staff be elite this year? It's not like we are likely to win every game 1-0 either way.

Besides every single Conference Tournament winner we have had this century went on to have a deep tournament run with the exception of 2015 and that was because that team was garbage. It had nothing at all to do with this legend that the tournament somehow hurts you in the national tournament. The 2002 team played a ton of games and came out of the losers bracket and won the tournament on an extra inning marathon against Nebraska and went on to be national champions.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I'd rather take my chance at home and a Big 12 Championship than going 0-2. Besides since when has rest helped our staff be elite this year? It's not like we are likely to win every game 1-0 either way.

Besides every single Conference Tournament winner we have had this century went on to have a deep tournament run with the exception of 2015 and that was because that team was garbage. It had nothing at all to do with this legend that the tournament somehow hurts you in the national tournament. The 2002 team played a ton of games and came out of the losers bracket and won the tournament on an extra inning marathon against Nebraska and went on to be national champions.

The world treats winners different than it treats losers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

This team has one and only one thing to hang any shred of hope on moving into the post season - a puncher's chance.

Because of hitting.

That's it.

Hansen disagrees with said statement.  Win the first in a Regional in good shape.  Win the first in a Super in great shape.

48 minutes ago, Cajun said:

This team has one and only one thing to hang any shred of hope on moving into the post season - a puncher's chance.

Because of hitting.

That's it.

Well, we're #2 in D1 when it comes to fielding percentage.  If our pitchers -- IF -- can do what Keith & Z & Pierce have been talking about all year, and pitch to contact, we will rarely fuck it up in the field.

The problem is . . .

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, we're #2 in D1 when it comes to fielding percentage.  If our pitchers -- IF -- can do what Keith & Z & Pierce have been talking about all year, and pitch to contact, we will rarely fuck it up in the field.

The problem is . . .

... a bullpen that can't keep the ball down.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Because of hitting.

That's it.

…….and Gordon and Hansen. Gonna need 2 of Morehouse, Cobb, Harrison, Stevens or Lebarron to steal some outs for us. Or as I said last night 

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

Would like to see him, Lebarron or Cobb be the sort of what cole was last year then have Harrison be the set up man and I think we’re gonna have to use who ever between Gordon and Hansen didn’t start to close out postseason games. Stevens should be able to give us something too but I’d have him on a short ass leash. Like if 6 of his first 8 pitches are balls, get his ass out there and put in Harrison. Non of this matters though. Gordon is gonna go the distance against the 3 seed we face in a 7-1 ass kicking then Hansen is gonna go complete game shutout against aggy then Morehouse is gonna go 7 strong in the regional final before turning it over to Harrison to stick a fork in aggys season. Like we used to always do and are about to start doing again. Assuming those pussies can climb out of the losers bracket. Last time big bad Indiana was too tough for them. They were probably tired from playing in the sec which is pretty much the NL west