2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

5 hours ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

I know Kennedy had a couple gem plays in left last year, but unless he’s far far better than any other option in CF he needs to be on the bench. Want to see the young guys who could be a major bat upside push their way in. DH Todd or Kash and put Campbell in LF/RF.

Kennedy’s speed is going to keep him in the lineup. That homer vs Tennessee has kept me irrationally high on him all off-season too. Plus, if being able to push Todd out of the defense keeps him healthy all year that’s a huge win

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Plus, if being able to push Todd out of the defense keeps him healthy all year that’s a huge win

Didn’t he hurt himself last year diving into second while running bases?  He’ll find a way to hurt himself. Maybe a scooter, maybe a foul ball gets him in the on-deck circle, maybe he trips on the stairs going into or out of the dugout.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Didn’t he hurt himself last year diving into second while running bases?  He’ll find a way to hurt himself. Maybe a scooter, maybe a foul ball gets him in the on-deck circle, maybe he trips on the stairs going into or out of the dugout.  

Operative word was “if”. And if not, Stehly finds his way out of no man’s land and into the DH role 

31 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Kennedy’s speed is going to keep him in the lineup. That homer vs Tennessee has kept me irrationally high on him all off-season too. Plus, if being able to push Todd out of the defense keeps him healthy all year that’s a huge win

Agree.   Eric Kennedy is the Nick Peoples type,  a little baller.

Todd will be interesting.   Played only 6 games last year,  only 17 in the '20 Covid season,  don't think he played Summer ball at least not in the competitive leagues.   Probably has been doing cage work.   So it may take awhile for him to get in the groove at the plate.   Hope he still has his speed and defense.

One thing for sure,  Antico left a big void.    

43 minutes ago, torre said:

Agree.   Eric Kennedy is the Nick Peoples type,  a little baller.

Todd will be interesting.   Played only 6 games last year,  only 17 in the '20 Covid season,  don't think he played Summer ball at least not in the competitive leagues.   Probably has been doing cage work.   So it may take awhile for him to get in the groove at the plate.   Hope he still has his speed and defense.

One thing for sure,  Antico left a big void.    

Remember how down we all were on Antico around the middle of the year? Good times.

• Haha 2

On 12/28/2021 at 4:52 PM, UnhappilyMarried said:

Anyone bought tickets for the Houston event yet? Do we have specific sections? Last year was nice with everything GA as you could move around based on home/away dugout by game. 

Yeah it's sit wherever.  We can sort it out day of.. I'm sure we'll have a thread by then

blue are "assigned" seats......orange is...you guessed it...GA

Looks like they are finally opening up RF this year....every other one I have been to was only Crawford Boxes to RF pole.  

I think it is $30 difference from blue to orange for 3 day pass and $15 difference for 1 day

mmp.JPG

Sort of random thought but with the NIL shit, I wonder how much that would impact the Dylan Bundy/Josh Bell types to come to campus. 3 years getting paid at a big time school like Texas seems like it’d be better than riding the bus in the minors. I’ve seen quite a few guys get drafted out of college, fly through the minor leagues and are in the show within 2-3 years of getting drafted. Obviously I’m biased as fuck but playing in college with an NIL deal sounds pretty fucking ideal 

On 1/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, Fletch said:

Sort of random thought but with the NIL shit, I wonder how much that would impact the Dylan Bundy/Josh Bell types to come to campus. 3 years getting paid at a big time school like Texas seems like it’d be better than riding the bus in the minors. I’ve seen quite a few guys get drafted out of college, fly through the minor leagues and are in the show within 2-3 years of getting drafted. Obviously I’m biased as fuck but playing in college with an NIL deal sounds pretty fucking ideal 

While that sounds good it still doesn’t necessarily work out well for those guys.  A first round talent gets a sizable signing bonus that would be at risk if they go to college first and get injured or aren’t very good.

Anybody have any intel on process/timing for 2022 season tickets, specifically for someone trying to grab season tickets for the first time?

All I've found is that the deadline to renew existing season tickets was on 12/10/21.  

I submitted the deposit for a new season ticket request a few weeks back but hadn't seen anything since.

Thanks!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Anybody have any intel on process/timing for 2022 season tickets, specifically for someone trying to grab season tickets for the first time?

All I've found is that the deadline to renew existing season tickets was on 12/10/21.  

I submitted the deposit for a new season ticket request a few weeks back but hadn't seen anything since.

Thanks!

Or how about when single game tix will be available?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, txhorns said:

While that sounds good it still doesn’t necessarily work out well for those guys.  A first round talent gets a sizable signing bonus that would be at risk if they go to college first and get injured or aren’t very good.

Yeah it’s mostly wishful thinking on my part. Whatever it takes for us to get lucky with high schoolers and the draft

I dunno that we are ever going to be able to compete with the pros for high school super talent.

I would like to see scholarships and roster spot exemptions opened for senior players and players that have finished JuCo eligibility.  That seems to be where you could shore up talent for all Div 1 schools and make the game better.  Especially with the minor league(s) contracting instead of expanding.  

That whole week could be really fun, but I can't justify the trip with the kids in tow.  Citadel/College of Charleston by themselves would be a great trip.  That is such an underrated gem of a town in this country that most people never think about, let alone get to see.  University of South Carolina, while great competition on the diamond, is not a very fun 3-day weekend with family in tow.  That town sucks.  I mean, there's a decent little college vibe going on right around the campus, but there's not much else to do...particularly if you have kids with you.  

Shit, I'm gonna look at maybe taking the kids to Charleston for maybe Monday-Thursday though.  Dad can get his baseball fix, that town is awesome, good weather that time of year (usually).  I should look into it this weekend and see if it's feasible with flights/hotels.  

If any of y'all do all 5-games, I'll buy you a few rounds at the Disch afterwards to hear all about it.  

8 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Thanks!

+1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, Fletch said:

The playing school part is the biggest issue. You declare after HS you just have to play baseball. Some of those kids may want to go to college but the ones that don't will never take that route. 

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

That whole week could be really fun, but I can't justify the trip with the kids in tow.  Citadel/College of Charleston by themselves would be a great trip.  That is such an underrated gem of a town in this country that most people never think about, let alone get to see.  University of South Carolina, while great competition on the diamond, is not a very fun 3-day weekend with family in tow.  That town sucks.  I mean, there's a decent little college vibe going on right around the campus, but there's not much else to do...particularly if you have kids with you.  

Shit, I'm gonna look at maybe taking the kids to Charleston for maybe Monday-Thursday though.  Dad can get his baseball fix, that town is awesome, good weather that time of year (usually).  I should look into it this weekend and see if it's feasible with flights/hotels.  

If any of y'all do all 5-games, I'll buy you a few rounds at the Disch afterwards to hear all about it.  

I'm going to do the USC series, but not the others.  No kids in tow, but got to limit the time away from work.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, 40acredropout said:

Thanks!

They said seat selection would be sometime this month, I haven’t seen a specific date yet. Season ticket renewals will have a chance to move/upgrade seats and then I imagine new season tickets will get to pick after that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/27/2021 at 3:47 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Daly might be the best player on the team. If he takes another step in year 2, I think he will finish better than a 3rd team All-American. 

Ummmm don’t get me wrong, Daly is a great defensive 2nd baseman and a solid hitter but Faltine is one of the best defensive shortstops we’ve had in a long ass time and I’m expecting improvement at the plate. Melendez needs no explanation. Silas is the best defensive catcher we’ve had since Tres. And he should also improve at the plate. Witt is gonna be in the mlb by 2025. Along with the rest of our loaded pitching staff. Fuck this year is gonna kick so much fucking ass. Can’t wait 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Ummmm don’t get me wrong, Daly is a great defensive 2nd baseman and a solid hitter but Faltine is one of the best defensive shortstops we’ve had in a long ass time and I’m expecting improvement at the plate. Melendez needs no explanation. Silas is the best defensive catcher we’ve had since Tres. And he should also improve at the plate. Witt is gonna be in the mlb by 2025. Along with the rest of our loaded pitching staff. Fuck this year is gonna kick so much fucking ass. Can’t wait 

I agree with everything you said except, and call me an asshole if you want, I think Melendez peaked last year. I think pitchers figured him out and that was it for his streak.  I'm really hoping he can improve on that but I'm not betting on it. 

I agree with everything you said except, and call me an asshole if you want, I think Melendez peaked last year. I think pitchers figured him out and that was it for his streak.  I'm really hoping he can improve on that but I'm not betting on it. 

An asshole is not the term I’d used.

Pitchers did figure him out, but he’s got a shot to correct. And he did have productive ABs in the World Series. Plate discipline will be huge. He has so much power that he just needs to put it in play with two strikes. If we have excellent coaching, it can bring Melendez to greater levels.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I agree. Melendez had an up and down CWS last year. That blast he hit and some of the at bats up there were really good ABs for him. But that crazy ass homer streak he had was pounding a bunch of shit hook, rag arm well below mediocre teams. He needs to watch his CWS ABs. The last 3ish games, he took some great at bats, made the pitcher work.  Against Tennessee he went 0-2 with 2 walks and a run scored. Then Virginia  game went I think 2-5 with a double and rbi and against Mississippi state he went 2-5 with I think 5(?) walked. Oh and of course 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

An asshole is not the term I’d used.

Pitchers did figure him out, but he’s got a shot to correct. And he did have productive ABs in the World Series. Plate discipline will be huge. He has so much power that he just needs to put it in play with two strikes. If we have excellent coaching, it can bring Melendez to greater levels.

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah I agree. Melendez had an up and down CWS last year. That blast he hit and some of the at bats up there were really good ABs for him. But that crazy ass homer streak he had was pounding a bunch of shit hook, rag arm well below mediocre teams. He needs to watch his CWS ABs. The last 3ish games, he took some great at bats, made the pitcher work.  Against Tennessee he went 0-2 with 2 walks and a run scored. Then Virginia  game went I think 2-5 with a double and rbi and against Mississippi state he went 2-5 with I think 5(?) walked. Oh and of course 

Good points about his CWS at-bats. That gives me some hope that he can be coached more at the plate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Fletch said:

@zlavydra you working on some catchy nickname for whoever looks mediocre early in the season? Antico shoved it up your ass last year, but you doubting him gave him a chip on his shoulder. Maybe Austin Todd or Kennedy could use some of your doubting them early in the season. 

I'll start working on that.  Hey, I wasn't the only one doubting Antico.  I don't think I'd ever seen anyone hit as many cans-o-corn, but he sure as shit got it figured out.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, 40acredropout said:

Thanks!

On 1/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Or how about when single game tix will be available?

On 1/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, Rynosauri said:

They said seat selection would be sometime this month, I haven’t seen a specific date yet. Season ticket renewals will have a chance to move/upgrade seats and then I imagine new season tickets will get to pick after that. 

Been a season ticket holder for the last few years. Got my email for season ticket seat selection/upgrades this morning...

Seat selection ends on the 14th. Once that closes, then they should open up single games or small packet deals (done in the past) for certain games. Start jockeying now for the aggy game on Tuesday March 29. Sold out show for the last few times we've had farmer here.🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

asshole

8 hours ago, zlavydra said:

I'll start working on that.  Hey, I wasn't the only one doubting Antico.  I don't think I'd ever seen anyone hit as many cans-o-corn, but he sure as shit got it figured out.

Maybe Kennedy will be that dude until Todd comes out hot and is just ready to get back on the diamond. Shooting liners snd hard ass grounders. Same with Daly and Silas and hopefully Dylan Campbell. Would love to see Powell, Campbell, costantine the aggy and ku tranand Stehly. Those guys are studs. Looking forward to how deep the bullpen is with Duplantier, Nixon, Gordon and and some other fireballs. And a lineup that just obliterates them hitting and defensively. It’s time. Texas is mother fucking badass this year. Time to dogpile this year