2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

Good info, worth the entire read.    Props to Danny Davis,  AAS.

With the first pitch of the 2022 baseball season just three weeks away, Texas held its first practice this past Friday.

Expectations at UFCU Disch-Falk Field couldn't be much higher. The Longhorns have been ranked first in the preseason polls compiled by D1Baseball and Baseball America. Texas also topped the Big 12's preseason rankings.

Texas is not lacking in talented arms. There are also plenty of experienced bats in the team's lineup. The Longhorns, however, do need to replace the six Texas Exes who signed professional contracts after being selected in the 2021 MLB Draft.

One of those draftees was Mike Antico, who was an eighth-round pick by the St. Louis Cardinals. A graduate transfer this past season, Antico had a big impact during his only year in Austin. A solid center fielder, Antico hit .273 and he led the nation with his 63 walks. Antico's 41 stolen bases were the most for a Longhorn since 1996.

While speaking to the media last week, Texas coach David Pierce didn't seem overly concerned about remaking the look of his outfield. Eric Kennedy will remain in left field this year. Douglas Hodo III will scoot over to center field after serving at UT's primary right fielder in 2021. Austin Todd will then return to right field after receiving a medical redshirt this past spring.

This will be Todd's sixth year at Texas and Kennedy has been his teammate for four of those seasons. Hodo is a redshirt sophomore. Combined, those three outfielders have appeared in 368 games and recorded 1,240 at-bats.

"(This) may be the best outfield I've ever had," Pierce said. 

Health issues have plagued Todd in the past and his 2021 season was shortened by a shoulder surgery. In order to preserve Todd's body, Pierce won't play him every day.

Pierce said Dylan Campbell and Murphy Stehly have both been working out in right field and are options to back Todd up on the depth chart. Both Campbell and Stehly can play multiple positions in the infield. They will be used as utility players this season.

Added to the arsenal: After making 28 relief appearances last year, Tanner Witt will likely join UT's weekend rotation this season. Pierce said that if the Longhorns had their first game instead of their first practice last weekend, Witt would be his Sunday starter.

As a true freshman, Witt went 5-0 with a 3.16 ERA. At the College World Series, Witt threw 5 2/3 innings of three-hit relief in an elimination game against Tennessee.

Witt told reporters that since he was working out of the bullpen in 2021, he relied mainly on his fastball and curveball. He started throwing a change-up more in the Tennessee game and Witt said that catcher Silas Ardoin has insisted that his change-up is currently his best pitch.

Witt is also working on a cutter that "looks good so far. It's still a work in progress."

New kid on the block: Fans won't see too many unfamiliar faces in the Texas lineup this season. Six of UT's returnees had at least 180 at-bats for the team last year.

Skyler Messinger may need to introduce himself, though. A transfer from Kansas, Messinger will likely be UT's third baseman when it plays Rice on Feb. 18. (Campbell and Stehly could also contend for playing time at a position vacated by the drafted Cam Williams.)

Over four seasons and 186 games at Kansas, Messinger posted a .280 batting average. He is coming off a season in which he was an all-Big 12 honoree who hit .324.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Messinger had 46 doubles fly off his bat at Kansas but he only hit six home runs. That last number surprised Pierce, who believes his newcomer could display more power this season.

"(He's) made some adjustments with his swing, maybe to drive a few more balls in the gap and maybe hit a few more home runs," Pierce said. "He's only hit six home runs in his career at KU, which is a little shocking when you look at the numbers with his stature."

Alumni and Augie: Texas will host its alumni game at 4 p.m. this Saturday. Admission to the alumni game will be free.

Speaking of alumni games, Cal State Fullerton held theirs last weekend. At the event, the Titans unveiled a statue of former coach Augie Garrido.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2022/01/31/texas-baseball-no-1-longhorns-return-practice-season-nears/9273750002/

• Hook 'Em 3

Good point.  He won over 820 games at two different programs, triple digit career wins at three schools, over 85 wins at four schools.  

As excited as I am about this season, it's always good to stop for a minute and remember we were led by the best there ever was.  

5 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Always love Boone's reaction in that video.  Still cracks me up.

It is a shame that Augie did not record the audiobook for Life Is Yours To Win...   That would be running on an endless loop on my car as I drive into work...

Edited by petscii

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i havent seen anything about it

i checked the arkansas tech website - the Houston WInter Invitational is coming Feb 11-13th, Augustana, Arkansas Tech, St Mary's are all playing. will be held at MMP. 

2 hours ago, Mez2 said:

i checked the arkansas tech website - the Houston WInter Invitational is coming Feb 11-13th, Augustana, Arkansas Tech, St Mary's are all playing. will be held at MMP. 

they stopped inviting kingsville, they kept mud holing everyone 😂

Edited by tx 3 putt

Man, I'm jealous of y'all that get to make that trip.  Should be a blast.  I've heard so many great things about that stadium.

was supposed to listen to Coach Pierce do a season preview Q&A today at lunch but obviously it was cancelled.  I am just hankering for baseball talk today given the current morass our basketball team is in.  

Also, why the fuck are our gametimes not posted yet?  Two weeks out from opening day and there's no fucking start times posted.  Da fuh?  Yeah, I know it's usually something like 6:30/2:00/1:00 but in this day and age...we get picked up by other networks 'n shit and even LHN moves our times around to broadcast other spring sports...gotta make plans yo!  

50 minutes ago, petscii said:

Just a heads up, I called the Texas A&M CC box office and tomorrow is when the hooks release tickets for season ticket holders.  Anyone expecting a call about seat selection on the 2/22 - 2/23 games will be notified then.  

I bought the two game pass off the hooks website. 3rd base line

lso, why the fuck are our gametimes not posted yet?  Two weeks out from opening day and there's no fucking start times posted.  Da fuh?  Yeah, I know it's usually something like 6:30/2:00/1:00 but in this day and age...we get picked up by other networks 'n shit and even LHN moves our times around to broadcast other spring sports...gotta make plans yo!  

If you go to the site to buy individual game tickets they have the times listed.    https://texaslonghorns.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=BBSGT&linkID=tex-ath&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Edited by Heavy on the 7
  • Hook 'Em 1

Iowa St basketball game at 1PM.   Sunny, mid to  low 40's but no wind.

AUSTIN, Texas – No. 1 Texas Baseball is set to host its annual Alumni Game at UFCU Disch-Falk Field on Saturday, Feb. 5 at 4 p.m. An autograph session with the baseball team will take place from noon to 1 p.m. inside the Frank Erwin Center prior to the Men's Basketball game.

Before heading to UFCU Disch-Falk Field, fans attending the Men's Basketball vs. Iowa State game can catch Texas Baseball at the Frank Erwin Center beginning at noon. A poster will be available for autographs (while supplies last). Tickets for the basketball game may be purchased online at TexasSports.com/tickets.

Following the basketball game, fans can head across I-35 to UFCU Disch-Falk Field for a free commemorative event poster, a pennant giveaway courtesy of UFCU, and photo ops with Bevo XV and Smokey the Cannon before first pitch at 4 p.m. Kids are welcomed to run the bases following the game.

Admission and parking to the annual Alumni Game are free and the game will be televised by Longhorn Network beginning at 4 p.m.

Longhorn legend Huston Street will officially be recognized at UFCU Disch-Falk Field as his No. 25 was set to be retired during the 2020 season. Street, who was a three-time All-American and the 2002 College World Series Most Outstanding Player, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Happy Hour All Game!
Fans attending the 2022 Alumni game will have access to happy hour pricing all game long with $5 domestic/$6 premium beers available at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (subject to change)
Noon-1 p.m.          Autograph session (at Erwin center)
3:00 p.m.               Gates Open
3:20 p.m.               Texas & Alumni infield
3:30 p.m.               Alumni infield
3:45 p.m.               Introductions
3:55 p.m.               National anthem
3:58 p.m.               Umpire meeting
4:00 p.m.               Huston Street recognition
4:03 p.m.               First pitch
Postgame              Kids run the bases

ACTIVE ALUMNI IN ATTENDANCE (subject to change)

Player, Pos., Organization (Seasons at Texas)
Mike Antico, OF, St. Louis Cardinals ('21)
Kody Clemens, INF, Detroit Tigers ('16-18)
Bryce Elder, P, Atlanta Braves ('18-20)
Duke Ellis, OF, Chicago White Sox ('18-20)
David Hamilton, MIF, Boston Red Sox ('17-19)
Blair Henley, P, Houston Astros ('17-19)
C.J Hinojosa, INF, free agent ('13-15)
Kyle Johnston, P, Toronto Blue Jays ('15-17)
Nick Kennedy, P, Colorado Rockies ('16-17)
Nolan Kingham, P, Atlanta Braves ('16-18)
Ty Madden, P, Detroit Tigers ('19-21)
Mark Payton, OF, free agent ('11-14)
Chase Shugart, P, Boston Red Sox ('16-18)
Cam Williams, INF, Kansas City Royals ('20-21)
Zach Zubia, INF, Miami Marlins ('17-21)

Manager: Brooks Kieschnick ('91-93)
Assistant coaches: Roger Clemens ('82-83), Cameron Rupp ('08-10), Kacy Clemens ('14-17)

RELATED NEWS

No. 1 Baseball picked first in Big 12 Preseason Poll

No. 1 Baseball lands seven on Preseason All-Big 12 team

UT places 369 student-athletes on Fall 2021 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll

Baseball Alumni Game set for Feb. 5

Baseball lands seven on Preseason All-American team

Baseball announces 2022 signing class

https://texassports.com/news/2022/2/2/no-1-baseball-alumni-game-set-for-saturday.aspx

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Unpopular opinion - D-F is past due for a redo, especially the stands and lack of outfield seating 

I like the stands we have now but would definitely like to add some left field bleachers. And an actual grass field. Shit I kind of miss the old shitty Astroturf. Gave us an odd little home field advantage 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2022 at 5:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Unpopular opinion - D-F is past due for a redo, especially the stands and lack of outfield seating 

I was very disappointed they did not do a complete teardown when they refurbished a decade ago.  They definitely improved things, but I would have preferred a new stadium with the more modern open concourses.  And, yes, outfield seating. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Let’s get this shit started!!!! We got the roster to go on a 02-05 type run. We laid the groundwork last year. Bring home the title and let the country know we’re back and here to fucking stay. Bring on the fucking sec. Time to show those pussies what Texas baseball is all about. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Y'all have a blast today.  So jealous we can't go, but doing the responsible thing and keeping the older one with Covid at home for another couple days. 

Please post pics and if you see one of those cards/posters with the start times of our home games...please snap a pic and post.  Texassports.com doesn't have them up yet, but the ticket site does but the ticket site game times does not at all jive with the start times posted on our opponent's road schedule and that's annoying me got plans for taking the kids. 

17 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I was very disappointed they did not do a complete teardown when they refurbished a decade ago.  They definitely improved things, but I would have preferred a new stadium with the more modern open concourses.  And, yes, outfield seating. 

D-F reminds me of the 70-80’s cookie cutter Cincinnati/Pittsburgh/Philadelphia sterile venues lost in baseball’s transition to Camden Yards/Minute Maid BALLPARKS.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I believe the operative word was clear …

Ha just giving ya shit dude. 

Really looking forward to seeing some of the freshman play today. Also wanna see what Schuesslers got. Would love an aggy transfer having a good year to see texags heads explode 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Daly picking right up …

He and Campbell have really nice compact swings. Would love to see Campbell in the starting lineup somewhere. Also Kennedy’s tweaks to his batting stance is nice. Looks a little more relaxed in the box 

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

D-F reminds me of the 70-80’s cookie cutter Cincinnati/Pittsburgh/Philadelphia sterile venues lost in baseball’s transition to Camden Yards/Minute Maid BALLPARKS.

There is nothing more sterile than an indoor stadium. Minute Maid, Globe Life, Jerry World, NRG all suck.