2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

I haven't seen any info at all since the Alumni Game wrap-up articles.   Anyone have anything?

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2022/02/03/texas-college-baseball-picked-no-1-preseason-coaches-poll/6642249001/

If you did not see, the above article and excerpts were previously posted.     Gives a cursory summary.   Hopefully,  more info this week.

https://txstatebobcats.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS:TXST:BS22:BS08:&linkID=txstate&RSRC=SIDEARM&RDAT=sgl&_ga=

Texas St game in San Marcos, 8 Mar, 6PM.    Tickets go on sale Tuesday @ 9AM.   Pre pandemic this was always a sellout with SRO.  Tickets go fast.

Always a good game, nice venue, and Texas St does a great job of hosting.     Short trip for those who may not have the opportunity to see the team in an "away" atmosphere.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just checked out Rice's 2021 stats. Their pitching was abysmal, with only one guy (LHP Brandon Deskins) who had a WHIP of less than 1.50 and more than 30 innings.  

https://riceowls.com/sports/baseball/stats/2021#individual-overall-pitching

I'm guessing we see that guy, and that Jose Cruz, Jr. will roll out some new arms.

10 hours ago, torre said:

https://txstatebobcats.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS:TXST:BS22:BS08:&linkID=txstate&RSRC=SIDEARM&RDAT=sgl&_ga=

Texas St game in San Marcos, 8 Mar, 6PM.    Tickets go on sale Tuesday @ 9AM.   Pre pandemic this was always a sellout with SRO.  Tickets go fast.

Always a good game, nice venue, and Texas St does a great job of hosting.     Short trip for those who may not have the opportunity to see the team in an "away" atmosphere.

I’ve been to this one, great night of baseball 

19 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

After this opening weekend against RIce, we play 12 of the next 16 away from The Disch. 

Dang.

If Gus were dead, he'd be turning over in his grave. 

This team is definitely going to know if it can function on the road.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

thie is awesome 

With an older and experienced core like Texas has (Faltine, Ardoin, Messinger, Hodo, Melendez, Kennedy, Hansen, Stevens, Todd), I don't worry about taking a team like that on the road so much.  The big dogs are in year 3 or 4 of college ball (or year 6 for Austin Todd) and know how to handle road trips. 

20 hours ago, torre said:

You probably want to show some hustle on this.  :)

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

With an older and experienced core like Texas has (Faltine, Ardoin, Messinger, Hodo, Melendez, Kennedy, Hansen, Stevens, Todd), I don't worry about taking a team like that on the road so much.  The big dogs are in year 3 or 4 of college ball (or year 6 for Austin Todd) and know how to handle road trips. 

Dr. Todd

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Here's a guy who could handle life on the road:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/players/4977/ricky-jacquez/

FWIW-coach at lunch said

hansen, Stephens, Witt. 

messinger expected to start at 3b.  Kennedy, hodo, Todd as expected.  Wouldn’t commit to DH.  Discussed a couple arms not discussed much this off season have worked their way to top of bullpen options aside from the two obvious ones.  Hook ‘em 

Now I'm remembering shit he said that I'm looking at a roster.  Nothing shocking on rotation and back-end 'pen, but a lot of guys (some of the names weren't bandied about much in Fall Ball) are gonna get looks at bridge/setup/spot/midweek.  Y'all are diehard so you'll know these names but a couple were surprised to me---Hutchins, Blair (got multiple comments), Steele, Walbridge, Southard, Whitehead (just L/L for now), and Duplantier.  Again, some guys we knew were in the mix, some guys we didn't.  But all talked about heavily in the conversations about other bullpen arms and midweek/spot.  He mentioned only using 6 or 7 in Omaha overall in 5 games.  that they only used 6 at Rice in '03.  Called on Drew and Buck in the crowd to ask about how many they used in 04/05 (5).  His point was compressing the staff to find out who'll play in the postseason which he favors, but a few more names in the mix is probably a good thing early on.  I think he was trying to say we lost a couple of real top-heavy arms talent-wise, but got a great core 4 back and looking to add 4 more to that.  

We're hitting for the gaps and a more lethal top-to-bottom lineup this year.  Unlike some year's past, he's tempering expectations on homers (no shock there though), but he also played down aggressiveness on the basepaths (not just with Antico leaving).  Look for a 4-man platoon in the OF with Hodo in there the most, but we know he can move to any of the 3.  if Todd needs a break, and it already sounds like he will (coach's words, not mine)...Kennedy and Campbell can move around based on that.  First priority---give Todd a break, second keep Hodo in there---somewhere, anywhere.  And even Campbell can move back to 2b/3b/dh if need be. 

He was really high up on Melendez defense this fall and early spring.  Light years ahead of Zubia (his words, even some wisecracks at Zach's expense).  2b, c, 3b---y'all know the drill there.  3b sounding like a platoon based on pitching matchups thus far with gloves being equal, but he mentioned twice he just likes that Skyler has a bit of an edge having seen so much damn Big XII pitching over the years. 

He's the first to admit, won't be an incredibly powerful team, not a basestealing team of some year's past (he was looking at Drew Stubbs when he said it).  But even better fielding (his words) and better lineup up and down.  He's a little worried right now about more left bats, so look for day-to-day shuffles with that OF/3b/and mainly DH spot to add 1, if not 2, extra left sticks.    Pitching staff will find it's core 7-8 to ride to Omaha, but more depth and talent than last year overall so good problem to have. 

He loves the non-conference slate.  Talked about the new Catcher/coach earpieces for a bit, talked a lot about NIL and academics, I'll leave that to our resident experts to chat more about.  

No media there but cell phones and chatty diehards (yo tambien).  So he didn't exactly open up the playbook but then again, it's not much of a mystery.  But he spoke more frankly than probably any other time I've heard him in small environments.  Not surprising, he's now been here several years and he's coming off a helluva season.  But the one undertone I noticed was not a lot of "one game at a time", "we haven't proven anything", "who cares about #1 preseason...it's about where you finish", "gotta play the game, hope to improve and see where you are in May/June."  The whole tacit theme, to me anyway trying to be more optimistic in 2022, was "We ain't fucking scared.  We got a handful of really good problems to solve for and then look the fuck out.  I'm not calling our shot, but I'm not backing down from how fucking good we are ALREADY...see you bitches in the postseason."  

On 2/14/2022 at 11:03 AM, UTPhil2006 said:

My guess is Hansen Stevens Witt

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

FWIW-coach at lunch said

hansen, Stephens, Witt. 

messinger expected to start at 3b.  Kennedy, hodo, Todd as expected.  Wouldn’t commit to DH.  Discussed a couple arms not discussed much this off season have worked their way to top of bullpen options aside from the two obvious ones.  Hook ‘em 

It's me.  Im the coach at lunch

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Now I'm remembering shit he said that I'm looking at a roster.  Nothing shocking on rotation and back-end 'pen, but a lot of guys (some of the names weren't bandied about much in Fall Ball) are gonna get looks at bridge/setup/spot/midweek.  Y'all are diehard so you'll know these names but a couple were surprised to me---Hutchins, Blair (got multiple comments), Steele, Walbridge, Southard, Whitehead (just L/L for now), and Duplantier.  Again, some guys we knew were in the mix, some guys we didn't.  But all talked about heavily in the conversations about other bullpen arms and midweek/spot.  He mentioned only using 6 or 7 in Omaha overall in 5 games.  that they only used 6 at Rice in '03.  Called on Drew and Buck in the crowd to ask about how many they used in 04/05 (5).  His point was compressing the staff to find out who'll play in the postseason which he favors, but a few more names in the mix is probably a good thing early on.  I think he was trying to say we lost a couple of real top-heavy arms talent-wise, but got a great core 4 back and looking to add 4 more to that.  

We're hitting for the gaps and a more lethal top-to-bottom lineup this year.  Unlike some year's past, he's tempering expectations on homers (no shock there though), but he also played down aggressiveness on the basepaths (not just with Antico leaving).  Look for a 4-man platoon in the OF with Hodo in there the most, but we know he can move to any of the 3.  if Todd needs a break, and it already sounds like he will (coach's words, not mine)...Kennedy and Campbell can move around based on that.  First priority---give Todd a break, second keep Hodo in there---somewhere, anywhere.  And even Campbell can move back to 2b/3b/dh if need be. 

He was really high up on Melendez defense this fall and early spring.  Light years ahead of Zubia (his words, even some wisecracks at Zach's expense).  2b, c, 3b---y'all know the drill there.  3b sounding like a platoon based on pitching matchups thus far with gloves being equal, but he mentioned twice he just likes that Skyler has a bit of an edge having seen so much damn Big XII pitching over the years. 

He's the first to admit, won't be an incredibly powerful team, not a basestealing team of some year's past (he was looking at Drew Stubbs when he said it).  But even better fielding (his words) and better lineup up and down.  He's a little worried right now about more left bats, so look for day-to-day shuffles with that OF/3b/and mainly DH spot to add 1, if not 2, extra left sticks.    Pitching staff will find it's core 7-8 to ride to Omaha, but more depth and talent than last year overall so good problem to have. 

He loves the non-conference slate.  Talked about the new Catcher/coach earpieces for a bit, talked a lot about NIL and academics, I'll leave that to our resident experts to chat more about.  

No media there but cell phones and chatty diehards (yo tambien).  So he didn't exactly open up the playbook but then again, it's not much of a mystery.  But he spoke more frankly than probably any other time I've heard him in small environments.  Not surprising, he's now been here several years and he's coming off a helluva season.  But the one undertone I noticed was not a lot of "one game at a time", "we haven't proven anything", "who cares about #1 preseason...it's about where you finish", "gotta play the game, hope to improve and see where you are in May/June."  The whole tacit theme, to me anyway trying to be more optimistic in 2022, was "We ain't fucking scared.  We got a handful of really good problems to solve for and then look the fuck out.  I'm not calling our shot, but I'm not backing down from how fucking good we are ALREADY...see you bitches in the postseason."  

Like using bluetooth ear pieces??

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wasn't Lebarron Johnson being talked about as a guy that may contribute  in bullpen?

Yes, same as Cobb and some others.  Was just trying to list out guys I hadn't hear much about that Pierce mentioned by name today.

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Thanks dude. Did he say anything about Stehly? Would really like to see him get more ab’s. I’m guessing he’ll at least dh some on Todd’s days off with Campbell in right