2021 Wimbledon

The tournament so far has been a pleasant surprise.  

Lots of shitty has beens are gone.

Badosa sure is easy on the eyes.  I don’t know how far she’ll go but I enjoy watching her.  I have no idea on a favorite for the women’s side but none of the men have shown anything to say they can compete with Novak.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

The tournament so far has been a pleasant surprise.  

Lots of shitty has beens are gone.

Badosa sure is easy on the eyes.  I don’t know how far she’ll go but I enjoy watching her.  I have no idea on a favorite for the women’s side but none of the men have shown anything to say they can compete with Novak.

1) I think that Badosa would go all the way if you're fit and confident.

2) Badosa, Marta Kostyuk (IG bikini photo)... WHAT??? I just saw that she lost after winning the first set 6-1, And Siniakova (butter face) are... hello!

3) Svitolina joined the other overrated Top 10 seeds and is out and may or may not be joined by her fiancé, Monfils.

4) Not hot, but looking good: Ostapenko is makin' a stinko, Coco is about to start playing someone twice her age, and then...

5) Sloane Stephens & Iga Świątek (both attractive Grand Slam winners) are looking good so far as it Maddie Keys.

6) Sebastian Korda & Frances Tiafoe are looking good, as is Taylor Fritz one set into his 2nd round match. All, Cam Norrie & Nick Kyrgios are interesting for spectators.

Coco Gauff won in straight sets against a Russian mom who has some nice bikini stuff out there for a recent mom.

Roger Federer is getting ready to start on ESPN.

...all of the the Rolex ads and Wimbledon pre-match hype seems to be saying "He's unparalleled in his all-time grace... but he may lose in the 2nd round. But he's still arguably the person we will remember as the embodiment of tennis royalty."

Yeah the Fed worship sucks.  I’m tired of it because right now he may not even be top 10 quality. 

siniakova has a sneaky nice bod.  She and Krejikova are bad ass doubles players too.  

Kyrgios going deep At Wimbledon would be fantastic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Kyrgios going deep At Wimbledon would be fantastic.

i really like watching kyrgios play and even find myself rooting for him.  i don't know why.  would love it if he and venus win it all.  i love venus.

• Like 1

does anyone know how fed's deal with uniqlo works?  he was wearing an RF branded jacket walking onto the court but Nike owns RF and wouldn't let him have it.  is he allowed to wear whatever he wants before and after the match?

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Fed owns the RF logo back now. 

i hadn't heard that, thanks.  

really sharp tiebreak from fed in the 1st and he carried that through to the 2nd set.  gasquet better find something otherwise this is going to be over very soon.

Uniqlo is some good slave labor clothing if you want some hypocrisy to enjoy.

Kyrgios and Venus is a fun pairing and I have a feeling she is done after this year.  Hard to believe when they came along how much everyone thought Venus was the one who’d dominate.  

Vika losing surprises me not at all.  Sorana winning does.  Wonder where this late career winning spree is coming from?

And Tiafoe on his way out this morning.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Are you a day behind everything? 

Aryna/Osorio Serrano & Sloane/Samsonova are on now. 

Well sometimes.  I only get to watch early morning.  I was watching putintseva and kalinskaya be hot and terrible at doubles this morning.  It was fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Iga just straight up fucking murdered Begu, 1 & 0 in less than an hour. Thanks for playing. 

For some reason, Iga's Wimbledon Juniors Championship gets ignored by every talking head in tennis, but it should tell everyone that:

"This talented as fuck shotmaker can move very well on grass and is not intimidated by it."

But people bring up her 2020 French Open title and talk like she's a clay court player. (Also throwing out that she won a title in ruthless fashion on the hardcourt in Adelaide after the Aussie Open.)

Iga should be one of the Top 3 odds on favorites at this point to win Wimbledon along with Ash Barty and the girl who just won the French Open. Barty looks the worst out of the three.

43 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Kyrgios and Venus is a fun pairing and I have a feeling she is done after this year.  Hard to believe when they came along how much everyone thought Venus was the one who’d dominate.  

Pops Williams was telling anyone & everyone back in the mid/late '90s that SERENA was going to be the one to watch out for. From before the start, he was saying that she had the fire to be the more dominant of the two.

ADD ONS:

Samsonova is having a hell of a Wimbledon. She is schooling Sloane at the moment and Sloane has looked very good before this match. But Samsonova also beat Jessi Pegula last round and Kanepi in the first round, so she's been beating people who have been playing well.

And Rybakina smoked Shelby Rogers 6-1 in the first set, so Americans aren't looking so great today heading into the 4th of July weekend.

Edited by Napoleon

Sorribes Tormo & Badosa are playing doubles and my guess is that they will partner at the Olympics. (Most of these same country doubles teams are basically setting up for Olympic runs.)

Anyway, I clicked on Sorribes Tormo's link on the Wimbledon website and I have to say, her photo is,,,

..."interesting".

wta318872.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Garbine hates easy, playing 3. 

The Venezuelan Spaniard is kind of fucking herself.

Jabeur won the first 11 points of the 3rd set. She just needs that 12th.

Chrissy Evert is pulling for Muguruza.

Jabeur has lost weight this year. She's not sporting the same sized spare tire around her belly that she has in years past.

She is also a better tennis player than Muguruza today. 

If fatty keeps losing weight, she can be a mainstay in the Top 10. She has skilz.

Muguruza has slimmed down a bit as well, but she's a head case who isn't nearly as smart of a player as Jabeur, nor does she have the arsenal of shot. If it weren't for her height and strong serve, she would be ranked in the 30s-50s.

Jabeur just pulled a Justin Bieber and went to puke behind a chair against the wall.

Mytd.gif

Then they tried to talk up Muguruza's chances when she pushed it to deuce...

Then Jabeur crushed a deuce forehand to make Muguruza look stupid and then she won the next point in style...

...all in front of the future Queen of England.

😆

Someone give her some Listerine and a tooth brush, but...

She looks almost cute now that her face is slimming out. She needs to keep working out and watching her nutrition and she'll maybe even get endorsements

Edited by Napoleon

45 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Great slate of men’s matches today

Hurkacz Bublik is surprisingly boring so far. Rain delay didn’t help.  

Sorana is one of the few tennis players way more attractive off the court than on.  

Kerber going to lose if she keeps this up. 

I am ready for ESPN to fuck off with their Coco worship.  She’s number 20 right now.  She’s not the next Serena.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

If Raducanu keeps this up she's going to become the female Tim Henman

She hasn't played a seeded opponent yet, and her 4th round opponent is also unseeded. She's taking advantage of a fortuitous draw and using the crowd support to propel her. I think she makes the QF, but then loses in that round because thats when she'll face her first seed.

Catty bitches! 

Jelena Ostapenko and Ajla Tomljanovic had a terse exchange on court at Wimbledon, with the latter calling her opponent a liar during Saturday's third-round match.

Ostapenko, trailing 4-0 in the third set, requested a medical timeout with Tomljanovic about to serve. Tomljanovic, however, was convinced that the Latvian was taking the timeout to put her off her game rather than having a legitimate injury.

"You know she's lying," Tomljanovic told the umpire.

The Australian went on to win the match 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, but they continued their spat at the net.

"If you think I'm faking it, you can talk with the physio," Ostapenko said. "Your behavior is terrible. You have zero respect."

Responded Tomljanovic: "You're one to talk."

Ostapenko then called her opponent "the worst player on tour." When asked about it in her postmatch news conference, she said the comment was related to Tomljanovic's attitude.

"That's why I said very bad player because of this behavior," Ostapenko said. "You're winning but that doesn't mean you can do everything you want.

"It was very disrespectful from her side because she doesn't know about the injury. Everyone is an athlete and everyone can have an injury."

Ostapenko said after the match that she pulled her abdominal muscle during the second set and that she had trouble serving because of the pain.

"She cannot say anything unless she knows anything, and she's not me so she cannot feel the pain," Ostapenko said. "I'm the one who feels the pain. I really felt I needed the physio."

Tomljanovic also doubled down in her media appearance after the match, confirming she was still convinced that Ostapenko was faking the injury to put her off her game.

"She can say she was injured. I don't think she was," Tomljanovic said. "I think it was a clear reason she wanted to get me off my game. Game-wise, there was nothing wrong with her.

"I think it is disgraceful behavior from someone who is a Slam champion. If she was injured, she could have gone about it in a better way."

Tomljanovic will play 18-year-old Emma Raducanu in the fourth round.

2-minute vid in the link, worth a click

• Like 1

And speaking of doubles... 

On Saturday, Kyrgios was forced to retire from his third round singles match against Felix Auger Aliassime due to an abdomen injury. 

Speaking to reporters after the shock exit, Kyrgios said it was “heartbreaking” he may have to abandon his upcoming second round doubles match with Williams.

“I’ve got goosebumps just thinking about the fact that I might have to tell Venus Williams that I can’t play mixed doubles because of an injury,” Kyrgios said.

“It’s brutal for me because … I’ve now taken another day of her time. She’s been here, she could have been planning other things. It’s brutal.

“I’m telling you deep down I’m one of the people that will try and do absolutely everything to play doubles.

“It’s tough. I would have been fine to lose today and not be injured, but it’s more heartbreaking like this.”

Kyrgios and Williams are scheduled to face America’s Nicole Melichar and France’s Edouard Roger-Vasselin on Monday.

Edited by shadow_operative2.0