2021 Wimbledon

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

7-5, 1-6 for Iga v. Ons now. 

Women. 

Ons was up 5-3 in the 1st set. She just got nervous, but this was never Iga’s day. Iga was the Washington Generals…

…just playing her part to build a bit of drama, but she was never going to win. 

I would love if Serena and Sabalenka were penalized points for the decibels of their screeching and the length of their screeches. It is complete unsportsmanlike gamesmanship bull shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I couldn’t have been more wrong about Jabeur.  She’s outplaying her opponents.  

Sabalenka is unstoppable when her shots are landing in, just too much pace.

Berrettini actually looks pretty good right now for a semi spot.  

I wonder if Fed has a run in him now.

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

I couldn’t have been more wrong about Jabeur.  She’s outplaying her opponents.  

As I mentioned a day or two ago, she has lost a noticeable amount of weight and looks lighter out on court. I didn’t watch a ton of tennis before 2020 (or at least not like now) and had never heard of Ons before last year. 

The difference in Ons’ appearance from last year through early this year and the way she looks now is like Karl Malone his rookie season and about two or three years in. She’s not the most svelt girl on tour, but she no longer has that Serena stuffed into a sausage casing look.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I have very rarely given a shit about shrieks, but Aryna today was out of line. And I like her, but her shit needs to step down a notch. 

When the screaming last well after you have hit the ball and continues until after the opponent has started her swing, it should be dealt with. 

A fair way to deal with it would be to not allow screaming after the ball has crossed the net.

FINALLY;

Korda loses his first 5 set match ever today, his 21st birthday. He broke his opponent 6 times, SIX, in the 5th set alone and still lost the set… and match. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Muchova over Badosa in two long ones. 

Badosa doubly choked away the 1st set, first blowing a 5-2 lead and then losing 4 straight service points after being up 5-2 in the breaker.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, Hefeweizen said:

Hurkacz Bublik is surprisingly boring so far. Rain delay didn’t help.  

Sorana is one of the few tennis players way more attractive off the court than on.  

Kerber going to lose if she keeps this up. 

I am ready for ESPN to fuck off with their Coco worship.  She’s number 20 right now.  She’s not the next Serena.

I agree with you there.

I think she would have already made the move if it was going to be. I like Coco, I root for her but, not everyone is the next so & so.

If she is, just let it happen.

20 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I agree with you there.

I think she would have already made the move if it was going to be. I like Coco, I root for her but, not everyone is the next so & so.

If she is, just let it happen.

Coco is definitely the next so-so. Her serve will continue to get more lethal in the coming years and her doubles play will help her net game. 

She should be talking about which colleges she’s considering applying to in the run up to her senior year in high school, but instead she is narrowly losing in the 4th round of a major to a former Wimbledon champ who has refound her form, before heading home for a bit before flying to Japan for the Olympics. 

And this is after picking up her second career WTA title in May (I think).

Coco is ridiculously far along!

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Coco is definitely the next so-so. Her serve will continue to get more lethal in the coming years and her doubles play will help her net game. 

She should be talking about which colleges she’s considering applying to in the run up to her senior year in high school, but instead she is narrowly losing in the 4th round of a major to a former Wimbledon champ who has refound her form, before heading home for a bit before flying to Japan for the Olympics. 

I hope you are correct. We shall see in the future what becomes of her career. For some reason I thought she was 19- or 20-years old now.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

She’s a solid future top ten player.  She will win a couple of slams likely.  And the press will keep clamoring for her to be Serena.  

It’s unfair but that’s life .

And watching Zverev lose gives me satisfaction.  Close it out FAA.

17 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Federer’s draw is such a cupcake. Kind of bizarre. Now he’s going to get the only men’s player without a day of rest (Medvedev or Hurkacz) on Wednesday.

There's a chance they move the completion of  Medvedev v Hurkacz to centre court tonight after Fed v. Sonego finishes. We're still 3 hours away from curfew 

Edited by perfectchaos007

36 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

There's a chance they move the completion of  Medvedev v Hurkacz to centre court tonight after Fed v. Sonego finishes. We're still 3 hours away from curfew 

They sent them home according to ESPN’s tennis crew. 

I can see them thinking that solid rest with a finite start time > > > sitting around waiting in the locker room, waiting to see when they go on. 

3 hours ago, WBT said:

And Raducanu resigns.  ESPN openly speculating it was nerves/anxiety.

Her coach asked the tournament NOT to put her on Centre Court today because as a precaution against her being overwhelmed. 

I guess that Court 7 would have been a better assignment. 

Watching The Tennis Channel’s replay of Coco Gauff vs Kerber. 

After Kerber won the first set (or the first game of the 2nd set), the male announcer (“Ted”) said-

Kerber showing a veteran move and hitting behind Keys. 👀

Then he referred to Coco as “Keys” again in the following game. 

Then, when Coco got broken, he makes and a comment and calls her “Madison Keys”. 👀 👀

It’s too uncomfortable to watch. You would think that The Tennis Channel would have edited that out.  (Unless I am not paying close enough attention and Madison Keys’ match on a different court is perfectly mirroring Coco’s match…

…And Keys is also playing an Angelique Kerber who is a former Wimbledon champion as well in her match… this is Awkward!!!

😳🤯

7052B056-3AF0-4EF1-9F9A-B0CC3FC61B1C.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

Fed lost the first set.

It doesn't mean that he's going to lose the match, but he doesn't look that great either.

The way Fed is playing, I would say that he's not making it to the Final. He may lose in the quarters or he may lose in the semis, but I think that he will lose before the final from the way he's playing.