Highland Park, Austin, Deer killed with poison dart

crash_davis

Which of the following shit might I have seen from a neighbor who was absolutely fed up and had a great sausage recipe?

(a) crossbow double pass thru, mom and yearling,

(b) .22 cal pellet dirt nap,

(c) corn in one hand and a hammer in the other, or

(d) all of the above

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh.  We used to murder squirrels with them that would get in the attic back in the day.  Our "poison" mixture, if memory serves, was a  condensed nicotine mixture from old cigarettes that ferment in water, then boil and strain.  Condensed nicotine is insanely deadly.  In a liquid form.  The viscosity becomes such that it stays on the dart.  

If I were to post something incriminating and very specific, it would be this.  I've read about the nicotine poison, but I'd be terrified of accidentally sticking myself with the dart.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Which of the following shit might I have seen from a neighbor who was absolutely fed up and had a great sausage recipe?

(d) all of the above

season 2 famalam GIF by BBC Three

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

If I were to post something incriminating and very specific, it would be this.  I've read about the nicotine poison, but I'd be terrified of accidentally sticking myself with the dart.

I used to handle and perform testing on purified nicotine- 2oz samples at around 98% pure. Using needles and syringes.  LD50 on that shit is very low, like a drop or two.  Definitely need to focus. 

9 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Loading it, yeah.  Have to be careful. 

16 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

(d) all of the above

I'd go a suppressed Ruger Mk V with subs and a can.

"Hollywood" quiet

1at3.gif

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh.  We used to murder squirrels with them that would get in the attic back in the day.  Our "poison" mixture, if memory serves, was a  condensed nicotine mixture from old cigarettes that ferment in water, then boil and strain.  Condensed nicotine is insanely deadly.  In a liquid form.  The viscosity becomes such that it stays on the dart.  

You're just a regular MacGyver aren't you?  The old one, not the new one.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

You're just a regular MacGyver aren't you?  The old one, not the new one.

spacer.png

We did try to make one of these but it never worked - little fuckers would get into the attic and make all kinds of GD noise at all times of the day & night.  Stupid tree rats.

16 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

After doing some reading, I’m guessing some asshat non-poison darted the deer and it just happened to go tits up in front of the neighbor.  

considering that the deer was shot in the neck and as someone astutely pointed out up thread, there are no vital organs in the neck, the poison thing is most likely real. 

unless the deer just really didn't like needles and died from anger.

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

considering that the deer was shot in the neck and as someone astutely pointed out up thread, there are no vital organs in the neck, the poison thing is most likely real. 

unless the deer just really didn't like needles and died from anger.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2021/03_mar/030221b.asp

i mean, I don’t totally discount poison but it’s unlikely.  If I could figure out how to get a poison dart through the fat cap of that sow who lets her dog crap in my yard, I’d probably hire @atomheartbevo to do it. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

i mean, I don’t totally discount poison but it’s unlikely.  If I could figure out how to get a poison dart through the fat cap of that sow who lets her dog crap in my yard, I’d probably hire @atomheartbevo to do it. 

It's bad enough when you are compelled to periodically check various local news sites about cold cases from 30 years ago, when you're fairly certain there was no DNA evidence.

No way in hell I'm going to be literally putting my saliva all over a murder weapon in 2021.

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

so the deer die a slow painful death from infection. not how full of shit or even how the NextDoor woman would know but she said the deer died almost instantly. i imagine if it died from infection, people would've seen the momma deer hobble around for days/weeks with a dart sticking out of it's neck.

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

so the deer die a slow painful death from infection. not how full of shit or even how the NextDoor woman would know but she said the deer died almost instantly. i imagine if it died from infection, people would've seen the momma deer hobble around for days/weeks with a dart sticking out of it's neck.

Man, I’ve had young deer come out to my feeder for a couple weeks with half their shoulder blown apart.   Not at all saying that’s the case here, but animals have a pain threshold and drive to keep doing what they do until they drop.  

This poor bastard went about 3 weeks before he died. I wanted to shoot him before then but thought he’d make it. I was wrong and regretted it.  spacer.pngNot sure who did that to him but I’d like to give them a divot in their skull. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

People on Next-door would have been losing their shit over a deer stumbling around from infection/poison/whatever. 

OMG WTF THE DEER HAS RABIES AND IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Man, I’ve had young deer come out to my feeder for a couple weeks with half their shoulder blown apart.   Not at all saying that’s the case here, but animals have a pain threshold and drive to keep doing what they do until they drop.  

No issues with that. But if that were the case, there would've been a NextDoor post days/weeks ago about momma deer with a dart sticking out of her neck walking around the neighborhood with her doe. Many people on the thread stated that they saw momma deer and does just a few days ago. Since there wasn't, cause with NextDoor you KNOW there would've been one, I'm assuming that momma deer did get darted and died very, very recently. I imagine it's pretty hard to kill a deer in day's time with just a non-poisonous dart in the neck.

Who knows.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

back to this. so it's apparently a "thing". 

wtf is wrong with people?

People are assholes.   Not most people. When I was a kid, I was didn’t respect animals, cuz that’s what the church and shit taught me.  When I got a little older, I started respecting animals because not only could they fuck my shit up, but it was the human thing to do.  

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

No issues with that. But if that were the case, there would've been a NextDoor post days/weeks ago about momma deer with a dart sticking out of her neck walking around the neighborhood with her doe. Many people on the thread stated that they saw momma deer and does just a few days ago. Since there wasn't, cause with NextDoor you KNOW there would've been one, I'm assuming that momma deer did get darted and died very, very recently. I imagine it's pretty hard to kill a deer in day's time with just a non-poisonous dart in the neck.

Who knows.

I have no idea, other than the thought that there is some sick bastard who is smart enough to effectively dart a deer with poison scares me.  I’d prefer to think otherwise but that would probably be dumb in these times.  

I have no idea, other than the thought that there is some sick bastard who is smart enough to effectively dart a deer with poison scares me.  I’d prefer to think otherwise but that would probably be dumb in these times.  

Yeah. There may be some young psycho living around there.

After all the hours I have spent watching lone star law I’d figure they would be all over this. Maybe they have a covert investigation going on.

Your deer could have been hit by cars or your neighbors are poaching.

21 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Kid happened upon a dead deer and shot it with his Academy blowgun. That was not a tranquilizer dart or anything that could inject poison.  Pretty sure the whole "Ima dip this dart tip in poison and kill you instantly!" is only in the movies.

Haven't you ever heard of poison arrow frogs, bro?

Blue-poison.dart.frog.and.Yellow-banded.dart.frog.arp.jpg

People are assholes.   Not most people. When I was a kid, I was didn’t respect animals, cuz that’s what the church and shit taught me.  When I got a little older, I started respecting animals because not only could they fuck my shit up, but it was the human thing to do.  
What kind of fucked up church did you go to?
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Paco said:
3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Our Lady of Puppy Torture.

26 minutes ago, Paco said:
4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The church of the Baylor baseball team.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, no.  You're not hitting anything vital with a dart gun from Dicks sporting goods.  

I was going to make a joke about tacticool accessories on a picatinny rail, but then I saw this...

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Blowguns®-Piece-Tactical-Blowgun/dp/B00OPKJPAW

Apparently, they actually exist and sell for less than $30.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Not at all saying that’s the case here, but animals have a pain threshold and drive to keep doing what they do until they drop.  

Whitetail do for sure.  Cue the vid of the buck with the entire missing shoulder, or the one that got hit by a car, backstraps fileted off, then apparently woke up and decided to go on about his life.  Incredibly tough creatures, at times.  I'm not certain the dart killed it.  Some dipshit adolescent probably shot it, then it got hit by a car or something.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Whitetail do for sure.  Cue the vid of the buck with the entire missing shoulder, or the one that got hit by a car, backstraps fileted off, then apparently woke up and decided to go on about his life.  Incredibly tough creatures, at times.  I'm not certain the dart killed it.  Some dipshit adolescent probably shot it, then it got hit by a car or something.  

"Hey guys, you hear about that bitch ass deer that got triggered by a dart.  LOL.  What a poon...." 

deer20with20arrow20a200428201820osp_1525

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'd also like to add.  Academy used to sell (might still) those dart guns.  One time (age 15 iirc) I had a momentary lapse in judgement, trying to seat one, I thought I'd give it just a "kiss" from the other end to "set" the dart that was giving me trouble pushing in. Anyhow, like a dipshit would, I buried that thing in the roof of my mouth.  They are sharp. That shit hurt. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'd also like to add.  Academy used to sell (might still) those dart guns.  One time (age 15 iirc) I had a momentary lapse in judgement, trying to seat one, I thought I'd give it just a "kiss" from the other end to "set" the dart that was giving me trouble pushing in. Anyhow, like a dipshit would, I buried that thing in the roof of my mouth.  They are sharp. That shit hurt. 

Just a "little kiss".....with just the tip, in your mouth?  Glad the rest of the shaft wasn't involved.....

I'll see myself out.............

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

So just the tip?

Shocking (not really), but poison arrows (not darts) were / are a thing in Mississippi deer hunting.

At least until recently (may still be) while it was illegal to buy the paralyzing drug in MS, it was not illegal to buy in Alabama and hunt with in MS.  They called them "pods".

Rationale.....you be the judge.........., is that the paralysis of the respiratory system speeds up eventual death, reducing suffering.

Law may have changed, but 10-15 years ago it was pretty common for bowhunters to use Anectine up there.

I live in Northwest Hills Ranch area and probably half of my neighbors around me feed the deer (mostly older people), and the retirement center near Canyon Vista Middle has a feeder out so the residents can watch them.  We don’t plant shit in our front yard but other than that and the poop they aren’t that big of a issue.  Anyone killing them is an asshole.