Arkansas police kill 17-year old with car trouble

Pancho

Something doesn’t add up.

’twill be interesting to see what the investigation reveals.  ‘According to family’ is a peculiar source, akin to ‘ he was a good kid.’  That being said, the police get no benefit of the doubt either.

Well... no way a "jug of anti-freeze" was gonna stop anything from rolling backwards.  So that alone made the officer think that clearly the kid was on PCP or Meth?

The bottom line is that the way the laws are written if an officer wakes up afraid for his life any actions of deadly force throughout the entire day are Justified. Because they were indeed afraid for their life.

I have personally advocated for years that ALL police officers should have college degrees or at least an associates degree.  Just as a sort of forced diversity training.  right now our pool of officers is mainly ex-military guys, whose only real choice after high school was to join the military.  While this is certainly not ALL of the applicant pool, it is currently the majority.  As my Sheriff buddy said, long term it looked a lot better than framing houses.  If you have a college degree you can rise almost like a meteor in a lot of police forces, simply because yep, you can study for and pass a test to advance.

My perspective is also framed from being assaulted by an off duty DPS officer, and having the arresting Austin police release him after putting him in their squad car.  A courtesy I doubt I would have been given, had I assaulted him.  Only my willingness to NOT throw a punch back in response to his assault saved me... He got off despite committing assault.  AND more importantly he was ALLOWED by other officers to assault me with no repercussions.  I am sure I was not alone in his abuse of power. And it's cool he has a gun...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Gotta show the public that they don’t just murder unarmed black people. 

Society and social media is unwilling to accept this fact. There will be no excitement, no press coverage or no public cries for change regarding this incident.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Society and social media is unwilling to accept this fact. There will be no excitement, no press coverage or no public cries for change regarding this incident.

And yet if they killed unarmed white people proportionally to how often they kill unarmed black people then they’d kill unarmed white people five times as often as they kill unarmed black people. But they only kill them twice as often. That’s the whole point in the fact that they kill unarmed black people disproportionally more frequently than unarmed white people. The math says you’re much safer being white. Doesn’t mean you’re completely safe from the pigs. But you’re safer if you’re white than if you’re black. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Well... no way a "jug of anti-freeze" was gonna stop anything from rolling backwards.  So that alone made the officer think that clearly the kid was on PCP or Meth?

The bottom line is that the way the laws are written if an officer wakes up afraid for his life any actions of deadly force throughout the entire day are Justified. Because they were indeed afraid for their life.

I have personally advocated for years that ALL police officers should have college degrees or at least an associates degree.  Just as a sort of forced diversity training.  right now our pool of officers is mainly ex-military guys, whose only real choice after high school was to join the military.  While this is certainly not ALL of the applicant pool, it is currently the majority.  As my Sheriff buddy said, long term it looked a lot better than framing houses.  If you have a college degree you can rise almost like a meteor in a lot of police forces, simply because yep, you can study for and pass a test to advance.

My perspective is also framed from being assaulted by an off duty DPS officer, and having the arresting Austin police release him after putting him in their squad car.  A courtesy I doubt I would have been given, had I assaulted him.  Only my willingness to NOT throw a punch back in response to his assault saved me... He got off despite committing assault.  AND more importantly he was ALLOWED by other officers to assault me with no repercussions.  I am sure I was not alone in his abuse of power. And it's cool he has a gun...

The military has stricter rules of engagement with civilians than our police. I think the problem are the losers that peaked in high school moreso then ex military.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

gotta make sure he makes it home safely so that he can beat his wife and kids. 

always shoot if there are any questions. rationalize after. plus the police union gang always has their backs.

i can't believe there are people who romanticize and blindly support this armed gang.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Did I already miss Lebron’s tweet about this?

Oh, so one fucking guy hasn't commented on it and therefore EVERYONE is ignoring it, right? What a fucking load of shit. No comment at all on the existing media coverage? No comment on the NAACP demanding change as a result? Fucker. 

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

plus the police union gang always has their backs.

Been beating this fucking drum for months now.  They act with impunity because they basically have impunity.  So take away the fucking impunity.  Make them accountable like everyone else and my bet is you'd see a rapid change in behavior.

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

always shoot if there are any questions.

This gets to training.  They need more of it in spades.  Layer on situational training and use of force drills out the ass, with the caveat that:  "ok, we're investing in your ability to do your job, but you fuck this up, and you are out".  This is what the SMU's and military teams do.  A bad shoot.  Even a DUI.  Your ass is gone.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Been beating this fucking drum for months now.  They act with impunity because they basically have impunity.  So take away the fucking impunity.  Make them accountable like everyone else and my bet is you'd see a rapid change in behavior.

This gets to training.  They need more of it in spades.  Layer on situational training and use of force drills out the ass, with the caveat that:  "ok, we're investing in your ability to do your job, but you fuck this up, and you are out".  This is what the SMU's and military teams do.  A bad shoot.  Even a DUI.  Your ass is gone.  

Well really they need less training that tells them to shoot first or that shooting someone is a great adrenaline rush and shit like that.  Then backfill with actual training. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well really they need less training that tells them to shoot first or that shooting someone is a great adrenaline rush and shit like that.  Then backfill with actual training. 

Most "go to the gun" because they don't know what else to do.  It's the instant "nuclear option".  They get this massive adrenaline dump, and they go right to their stupid "bat-belt" of toys. 

De-escalation training works.  Situational awareness training works.  Stress inoculation training works.  Training on what to do if someone lays hands on you.  I think BJJ training should be mandatory.  Learning how to control someone without hurting them or allowing them to hurt you.  

BUT, you fuck this up, and your ass is gone.  Zero tolerance.  

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I can't see a reason to fear a person placing a jug of anti freeze under a rear wheel. what did the cop think was going to happen? the guy was going to commit suicide by blowing up the truck so the cop did the guy a favor and shot him instead?

Invoking the 48hr rule on this one.  Seems we're missing key details?  Maybe the officer is a shit bird?  Don't know?

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yes and no.  "Training" is mostly about techniques and such.  And the problem we're talking about isn't so much technique as it is ATTITUDE AND ETHOS.

If cops were taught, first thing, and repeated over and over, that "your highest calling is to protect life, and not take it, so do everything possible to avoid taking any life, which means that you will sometimes be at higher risk," then maybe we'd have a chance.

Instead, they are indoctrinated into a belief system of "it's a war on cops, everyone is out to kill you, and your only priority is to make it home safely at the end of the shift."  With that belief system, it's inevitable that they'll shoot first and ask questions later.

Doesn't matter what tools we give them (de-escalation etc.) if they believe that they need to err on the side of killing people to protect themselves.  And we're never going to solve that, because that belief is too important and central to law enforcement in this country.  So, we'll keep having shit like this, lather, rinse, repeat.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes and no.  "Training" is mostly about techniques and such.  And the problem we're talking about isn't so much technique as it is ATTITUDE AND ETHOS.

If cops were taught, first thing, and repeated over and over, that "your highest calling is to protect life, and not take it, so do everything possible to avoid taking any life, which means that you will sometimes be at higher risk," then maybe we'd have a chance.

Instead, they are indoctrinated into a belief system of "it's a war on cops, everyone is out to kill you, and your only priority is to make it home safely at the end of the shift."  With that belief system, it's inevitable that they'll shoot first and ask questions later.

Doesn't matter what tools we give them (de-escalation etc.) if they believe that they need to err on the side of killing people to protect themselves.  And we're never going to solve that, because that belief is too important and central to law enforcement in this country.  So, we'll keep having shit like this, lather, rinse, repeat.

This here is our biggest problem.  We've had 30 something years of "us vs. them", them being anybody who isn't a dumb white ass fucker who watches Fox and gets their outrage spoonfed to them daily.  When you have almost half the population cowering in fear, convinced the other half is coming to rape them and take their shit, well this is what happens, Larry.  I don't know what to do about it other than hope maybe Covid kills dumbasses faster.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Invoking the 48hr rule on this one.  Seems we're missing key details?  Maybe the officer is a shit bird?  Don't know?

gonna be tougher than normal to assassinate the character of a 17 year old kid without a record, but I'm sure your cop buddies will find a way to make it happen - I know you'll be the first to share

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

Also, wanna bet how much "cover it up and help the officer concoct a story to cover his ass" work is going on inside that PD right now?  Like.....all of it?

It's what they do.  Their ethos is that of a criminal gang -- they do exactly what a criminal enterprise would do: destroy evidence, concoct a story, and code of silence as to anything incriminating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the body cam footage exonerated the cop, it would have already been released.

Corollary -- if the dead kid had ANY sort of record, or any drugs/weapons in his car, that would already have been released.  Because cops are all about "let all the facts develop and let the investigation run its course" with respect to the cop....but they use a fucking X-15 at full burn to deliver the slightest bit of incriminating/defamatory news about the deceased.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is becoming a lazier retort than “BUT CHICAGO!” for gun violence 

Sort of. He had a chance to walk it back and decided to further prove his ignorance and shitheeledness.  Probably a deep seeded insecurity of knowing he’ll never be Jordan, and likely will not eclipse the success of Duncan. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Cloakroomed

Basketball forum imo. 

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

Don't a lot of departments require a two or four year degree? Not sure how a degree & student debt prevents them from indiscriminately murdering people.

"To be considered for employment as a Dallas police officer, applicants must be US citizens, be at least 19 years and six months of age and not older than 44, and have a high school diploma or GED plus at least 45 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university."

and yeah the requirements are comically low. Minimum age should be at least after your frontal lobe has developed ffs. 

Edited by lmao

Without seeing any cam footage, I present my take on what happened in RPMvision:

Local cop on a dull night cruising the mean streets of rural Arky by the light of the Moon spots a shitty pickup with two yutes. This sets off red flag for something to break the boredom and get some kicks fucking with yutes and he lights them up.

Yute #1 gets nervous af when he sees red & blues. He's been working all night to fix the truck, but it's still sketchy and won't go into Park. Either he forgot about the parking brake or it didn't work, so in his panic to not fuck up the only thing he can think of is grab a jug of antifreeze out of the back to block the tire (this won't work, but I digress).

Local cop is startled by the quick exit and rapid movements of this low life cheap ride driving yute and sees him reach in the truck bed and grab SOMETHING. From that point it was DEFCON 5. Yute #2 is lucky to survive the stop.

A Quinn Martin Production

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I think the body can footage needs to come out. The family’s account is hardly reliable since they weren’t there.  Unless there was a gun (which wasn’t planted) I’m not seeing a reasonable cause to shoot someone.  My guess is kid went to put down or pick up a tool and cop freaked thinking it was a weapon. Obviously pure speculation. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And yet if they killed unarmed white people proportionally to how often they kill unarmed black people then they’d kill unarmed white people five times as often as they kill unarmed black people. But they only kill them twice as often. That’s the whole point in the fact that they kill unarmed black people disproportionally more frequently than unarmed white people. The math says you’re much safer being white. Doesn’t mean you’re completely safe from the pigs. But you’re safer if you’re white than if you’re black. 

And yet if they killed unarmed females proportionally to how often they kill unarmed males then they’d kill unarmed females more often than they kill unarmed males. But they kill 25 times more unarmed males than females. That’s the whole point in the fact that they kill unarmed males disproportionally more frequently than unarmed females. The math says you’re much safer being a female. Doesn’t mean you’re completely safe from the pigs. But you’re safer if you’re female than if you’re male.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And yet if they killed unarmed females proportionally to how often they kill unarmed males then they’d kill unarmed females more often than they kill unarmed males. But they kill 25 times more unarmed males than females. That’s the whole point in the fact that they kill unarmed males disproportionally more frequently than unarmed females. The math says you’re much safer being a female. Doesn’t mean you’re completely safe from the pigs. But you’re safer if you’re female than if you’re male.

Except for, you know, the rape thing.

art-acevedo-1-696x364.png

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

This constant refrain is bullshit. There is literally already press coverage over this (which is why you know about it). People said the same thing about the lady that had her car rolled by the police officer. Yet there were literally thousands of articles covering the story. So far, we have:

Let's see, in addition to the vice article, we have:

https://www.katv.com/news/local/jacksonville-naacp-say-end-to-police-violence-is-overdue-after-ak-teen-shot-by-deputy (N.B., NAACPA making public cry for change regarding this incident)

https://nypost.com/2021/06/23/arkansas-cop-shoots-kills-17-year-old-during-pullover/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/arkansas-deputy-fatally-shoots-teen-traffic-stop-78452206

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/arkansas-deputy-fatally-shoots-teen-during-traffic-stop/2021/06/23/b09a099e-d46e-11eb-b39f-05a2d776b1f4_story.html

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/06/28/brit-j28.html

And there were dozens or more that I didn't cite. But sure, the media just completely ignores the deaths of white people 🙄

Let me know when a white violent felon who has lived a worthless life is killed by a cop while resisting arrest and has 3x a lethal amount of fentanyl in his system and gets the following:

1. incident is on the news round the clock for a year;

2. family gets $27 million settlement;

3. cops trial is televised;

4. murals;

5. statues; and

6. constantly referenced in the media and social media by the most powerful people in our country and globally.

• Fuck You 8

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Let me know when a white violent felon who has lived a worthless life is killed by a cop while resisting arrest and has 3x a lethal amount of fentanyl in his system and gets the following:

4. murals;

5. statues; and

6. constantly referenced in the media and social media by the most powerful people in our country and globally.

If this guy's murder had been recorded by bystanders in slo-mo, it would likely be a centerpiece in the movement for police reform.

That a cop murdered George Floyd wasn't the story.  That he did so over 10 minutes or so, in slow motion and utter defiance as people begged him to STOP murdering him, recorded by multiple cameras from multiple angles, is what made it a story.

But you do you.  You always do.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

4. murals;

5. statues; and

What the fuck?

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

4. murals;

5. statues; and

poor baby lol