Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games in Decatur

Shmitty

Have only been to the one in Salado, but it's a lot of fun.  Old people, feats of strength, Renfest types, and a bunch of Asian kids playing bagpipes in private school bands.  /nowaisis

If the Scottish Pie Shoppe trailer from Albuquerque (!) is there, don't miss it.  My boys obsess about the scotch eggs.

• Like 1

My daughter usually competes in the highland dancing competition there but we are skipping this one in favor of camping. 

Any way, here’s a pro tip:  The knights of the brown bottle home brew club usually has a competition there that starts at noon both weekend days.  For $5 you can “join” the club and drink unlimited samples to help them judge.  They usually have about 20 home brews on tap. Almost missed my daughter dancing last year.  Or you can be one of the morons buying $7 pints all day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Which tartan?

My family has several connections to the Campbell's including a great grandmother who came from Scotland as a girl and her last name was Campbell.  So I get to wear one of the best:  Black Watch.

I also have a distant connection to Robert the Bruce's son-in-law, Walter Stewart so I can also wear any of the Stewart  plaids.

I wear a lot of plaid.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Macanudo said:

My family has several connections to the Campbell's including a great grandmother who came from Scotland as a girl and her last name was Campbell.  So I get to wear one of the best:  Black Watch.

I also have a distant connection to Robert the Bruce's son-in-law, Walter Stewart so I can also wear any of the Stewart  plaids.

I wear a lot of plaid.

And you look fabulous in plaid.  Fabulous!!

The ability to laugh even when shit is sideways,   Is good.  Grandpas name was Landy Murdaugh McWhirter, I knew him as Mac.  Grandma was Ms Mac.  Her real name was Ms. Spradling.   Actually  her  real name was Luna.  Good lord help you if you made fun of that.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Well crap.  I was there on Sat.  Saw this thread just now.  Oh well, see y'all next year.

FWIW, my wife and I had gone to the Scottish Festival outside of Knoxville for years.  (We moved to DFW last summer.)  One cool thing about Decatur is that you can take your drinks anywhere.  In Maryville, you can only drink inside the beer tent.

You can get a decent kilt from sportkilt.com without paying an arm and leg. There are a number of higher-end kilt makers that will happily take your money, but unless you’re gonna wear your kilt more than just a few times a year then I’d suggest buying from these guys

• Like 1