The Many Saints of Newark

Zwylde

Wonder if we’ll get to see that Animal Blundetto, Jackie and Richie Aprile, maybe even Artie?

Tony was born in 1959. Christopher was born in 1972. It was established that Dickie was killed when Christopher was a baby...so if you want to stretch it out - Tony is 13 or 14 when Dickie dies.

Timeline is a little fucked up if you ask me.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wonder if we’ll get to see that Animal Blundetto, Jackie and Richie Aprile, maybe even Artie?

Tony was born in 1959. Christopher was born in 1972. It was established that Dickie was killed when Christopher was a baby...so if you want to stretch it out - Tony is 13 or 14 when Dickie dies.

Timeline is a little fucked up if you ask me.

So Tony would be 8 during the Newark Riots (July 1967). Yep, taking some liberties with that timeline. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Trailers makes it seem like it is very Tony-centric (and I hope it is).  But I was led to believe this would largely be about Chrissy's dad, Dickie and the riots.

I'd have thought you'd want more of the John and Ginny love story.  Maybe she was skinny at one time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There was a flashback scene one episode that had a scene during the riots.  Tony was around 8 in that scene.

Exactly. It’ll be interesting to see how Chase addresses this. 

My guess is the movie will be two parts. Dickie/ his father fighting with other ethnic gangs during the 1967 Newark Riots. Followed by Dickie bringing Tony into the life in the late 1970s. Probably lots of flashbacks. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Exactly. It’ll be interesting to see how Chase addresses this. 

My guess is the movie will be two parts. Dickie/ his father fighting with other ethnic gangs during the 1967 Newark Riots. Followed by Dickie bringing Tony into the life in the late 1970s. Probably lots of flashbacks. 

That would make sense.

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'd have thought you'd want more of the John and Ginny love story.  Maybe she was skinny at one time.  

Poor thing.  She used to be some hoofer.

4 hours ago, Player said:

I thought the first one was after he saw his dad and junior rough up old man satriale, when Johnny was trying to sex up Livia?

Yeah, he saw Satriale's finger get cut off, then saw his mom getting wet sawing on the rib roast.

Looking forward to it. 
Hope Ray Liotta isn't a casting mistake - doesn't feel quite right.  

How so? It’s not like he doesn’t have the pedigree. I think he’ll be awesome.

I’m hoping for low-key sinister, not amped-up and screaming.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

How so? It’s not like he doesn’t have the pedigree. I think he’ll be awesome.

I’m hoping for low-key sinister, not amped-up and screaming.

I like Ray Loitta and he was great in Goodfellas, but that pedigree may be the issue.  I liked the Sopranos, in part, because it didn't start with a high pedigree mafia personalities.  The show would have been much different if the lead was Liotta, DeNiro, Pesci, etc.

I agree with the low-key sinister.  The clip with the younger Liotta and that loud laugh was what bothered me.

It's going to be a great movie either way.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Holy crap I didn't realize that was James Gandolfini's son. Talk about big shoes to fill.

The first clip when he gets out of the phone booth.  His facial expression was exactly as his late father.  He seems really believable as the younger Tony.

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

i wonder if we'll see Charmaine (Bucco).  they definitely referenced several times on the show how Tony hooked it up with Charmaine in high school behind Carm's back.

this is gonna be great.  i've been wanting to rewatch the series and get the GF to watch it for the first time.  this will be the perfect foray into that world.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I like Ray Loitta and he was great in Goodfellas, but that pedigree may be the issue.  I liked the Sopranos, in part, because it didn't start with a high pedigree mafia personalities.  The show would have been much different if the lead was Liotta, DeNiro, Pesci, etc.

I agree with the low-key sinister.  The clip with the younger Liotta and that loud laugh was what bothered me.

It's going to be a great movie either way.

Plenty of actors from Goodfellas were in the Sopranos during its run.  Liotta would be highest profile male for sure, but I trust Chase.

https://screenrant.com/the-sopranos-goodfellas-same-cast-members-including-their-characters/

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Yeah, me too.

A miniseries about 7 seasons long.

And that's when I learned it wasn't a series.  How disappointing.  But I'll take what they feed me and eat it with a smile.

Edited by dcbc

So Uncle Dickie was Carmela's cousin?  I'm guessing on her mom's side?  Her parents often seemed totally disconnected from that mob life that apparently was in their family long before Tony came into the picture with his power tool gifts.  

Fun fact---the Alabama 3 was paid exactly $1.0mm for the rights to that song.  More than they had ever seen in their lives up to that point.  They blew all that money in 30 days on whiskey and blow.  I imagine they just got a nice little re-up.  We should call them, see what's going on this weekend...

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Fun fact---the Alabama 3 was paid exactly $1.0mm for the rights to that song.  More than they had ever seen in their lives up to that point.  They blew all that money in 30 days on whiskey and blow.  I imagine they just got a nice little re-up.  We should call them, see what's going on this weekend...

Should have read the rules.  You blow half the money on women and blow, and you waste the rest.

• Like 1