The Many Saints of Newark

Zwylde

41 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i can tell already Michael Gandolfini is absolutely nailing his dad's looks and mannerisms. 😮

like Jackson Jr. in Straight Outta Compton... it's more than just looking like their fathers, the are young replicas.

That quick bit of him at the kitchen table was eerily like his father. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

That quick bit of him at the kitchen table was eerily like his father. 

The prequel series, if it happens has a lot of potential. Burnstein has some experience/sources in the TV business, and he expects it to be announced in November. I want to believe. 

I assume Terrence Winter has mortgage payments and David Chase has said he’s fine with him running the franchise. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The prequel series, if it happens has a lot of potential. Burnstein has some experience/sources in the TV business, and he expects it to be announced in November. I want to believe. 

I assume Terrence Winter has mortgage payments and David Chase has said he’s fine with him running the franchise. 

Sorry but who is Burnstein?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/edie-falco-reprised-carmela-many-saints-newark-scene-cut-1234666186/?fbclid=IwAR05iWoX-Y7T0EsnmXKUvblFVqzOYiMEhvJvoR2jsU7A9Q8-qFIm97iPI_c

That's fuckin' interesting, man. That's fuckin' interesting. Wonder if that scene was meant to provide a tiny hint of closure regarding the series finale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

well shit.  I had been paying just enough attention to be excited for this and not enough attention to realize that it wasn't an HBO series.  Guess we will finally use up our Alama Drafthouse gift card soon.    

I need to google some type of graphic for the wife on who is who in The Sopranos world so that she will only ask me 20 questions during the movie and not 50.   

12 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

well shit.  I had been paying just enough attention to be excited for this and not enough attention to realize that it wasn't an HBO series.  Guess we will finally use up our Alama Drafthouse gift card soon.    

I need to google some type of graphic for the wife on who is who in The Sopranos world so that she will only ask me 20 questions during the movie and not 50.   

It will be on HBO Max as well.

could have watched on HBOMax but have missed the big screen movie experience so much and we've already gone to a game, a concert and a four hour plane ride w/o catching the rona so feel pretty good about our vaccines 😊 got tickets for Sunday!

(was gonna go Saturday evening but didn't want to miss the opportunity for more aggy schaudenfreude 😄)

Got our tickets for Friday evening.  Couldn't be more excited.

My gf and I have re-watched the series a few times over the years, and I don't know if there's another show I've seen that's cause me to feel like I've known all the characters personally.  They become familiar as family.

Every time we finish a re-watch, I actually miss them, ha.

Yeah, I'm curious as to why he wasn't included.  During the original run, it always seemed like they were attached at the hip as teenagers.  

Maybe it's a well kept secret and he does pop up.  The guy that played a young Buscemi on "Boardwalk Empire" fucking nailed it every which way but loose.  And loose.  

(Marc Pickering is his name but he's over 30 now, couldn't play a young Blundetto---maybe he's got a younger brother?)   

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

Audience score will be interesting. I think awards and more importantly box office will decide the fate of the prequel series. 

It sounds like Lil' Gandolifini is in for a series. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michael-gandolfini-ready-play-tony-153036503.html

I'm guessing there's just not enough screen time for the younger version of everybody, but yeah considering how Tony had his mentors but also had his "up-and-coming JV crew" with Blundetto, Jackie Aprile, et. al.---you'd think they'd pop up peripherally.  It's certainly a tale of influence and mentorship, the guys that were his dad's age that bring Tony up through the life...from his uncle to Dickie to Silvio to Paulie.  But he's gonna run around after school with some kinda crew, so I'm wondering why they left that gap.  I guess it's like the Goodfellas story.  Guy just eventually quits school and hangs out with the older men, not really any contemporaries.  Obviously we're all hooked either way, I';m sure there's a line or two of dialogue that explain away the absences.  

59 minutes ago, Lou Loomis said:

A young Blundetto would have been cool to see.

Also, I’ve read a lot of articles were they detail which characters will have younger versions of themselves in the movie, but I haven’t seen any reference to anyone play a young Jackie Aprile…. 

Young Jackie is in the movie. He’s the guy with Tony in the ice cream truck in the trailer

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

There's no scraps in my scrapbook.

I listened to a podcast that discussed Frank Vincent's contract negotiations. Everyone tried to renegotiated their deal midseason 6.  His character was in the hospital in that episode but he heard that the proposed scripts for next season had him as an important character. Frank Vincent asked for a raise and Chase and or HBO were like "you know, your character could easily die there in that hospital and we will rewrite it and you'll make nothing." Thank God he kept with it. He is one of the best villains in TV history.  "Waive bye Pop Pop, say Bye"

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I listened to a podcast that discussed Frank Vincent's contract negotiations. Everyone tried to renegotiated their deal midseason 6.  His character was in the hospital in that episode but he heard that the proposed scripts for next season had him as an important character. Frank Vincent asked for a raise and Chase and or HBO were like "you know, your character could easily die there in that hospital and we will rewrite it and you'll make nothing." Thank God he kept with it. He is one of the best villains in TV history.  "Waive bye Pop Pop, say Bye"

Edited by Lou Loomis

11 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I have watched the series more than 3 times and the guy that says "Oh shit" walks like he has hip problems or cerebral palsy.  I always thought that was a weird choice but Chase doesn't do anything for no reason.

To me, he walks like Vito did right after he lost all that weight.  To me, it was like a surrogate Vito getting to watch Phil get fucking whacked after killing him.  Dunno.

Got tickets for a showing tonight.  Could have watched it on HBO Max, but I'm looking forward to going to an actual movie theater for the first time since pre-COVID.  My wife and I both watched the series during its original run.  I've recently re-watched seasons 1 and 2.  My daughter knows nothing about the Sopranos. 

Wondering how much my wife will remember and my daughter's take on it as a stand-alone movie (no pics of either).  

On 9/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

They sure left it open to a prequel series.

• Hook 'Em 1