Arsenal 2021-22: The Youth Movement

shadow_operative

i'm so nervous about Xhaka tomorrow. we're 3-0-0 while he's been suspended. i understand that starting Sambi or AMN is a risk in a match like this, but i DO NOT WANT Xhaka anywhere near the starting lineup. beyond his terrible decision making and penchant for getting red cards, he's slow, he's a ball stopper, he's not athletic, he's not progressive, and he holds us back. i have to assume that he's going to start, but if i had to pick the starting xi i think i would go:

36358651-8859-49C0-A76F-16E3B8FFF955.thumb.jpeg.1b87b6eadd7265bdf4f76557cbd39ca7.jpeg

Auba, Pepé, and Martinelli (among others) available off the bench.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Finally healthy.  FINALLY playing with purpose. This is awesome,   Fuck spuds they are shit 

All of this. What a difference from the No-show performance vs City to today. Pride, energy, purpose.  Ramsdale… what a save. ESR…goal and an assist. Tomiyasu…another outstanding shift. 

GOYG!!! LETS FUCKING GO!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Xhaka... don't think I can recall more of a Jekyll/Hyde player in any sport.  At his best (as he was yesterday), he's world class.  Controlling midfield, creating chances. At his worst, he's a red card waiting to happen.  There's not much middle ground.  He put in a shift yesterday. He's getting scanned today for that knock on his knee, but Arteta stated it "doesn't look good at the moment." 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/26/masterful-granit-xhaka-the-living-embodiment-of-arsenals-dream-derby

22 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Xhaka... don't think I can recall more of a Jekyll/Hyde player in any sport.  At his best (as he was yesterday), he's world class.  Controlling midfield, creating chances. At his worst, he's a red card waiting to happen.  There's not much middle ground.  He put in a shift yesterday. He's getting scanned today for that knock on his knee, but Arteta stated it "doesn't look good at the moment." 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/26/masterful-granit-xhaka-the-living-embodiment-of-arsenals-dream-derby

He is a bit of an enigma.  But I think it mostly comes down to him simply not being fast/athletic enough for the EPL, and a lot of teams successfully exploit that.  He always looks good in international games, and I bet he would look great playing in the Italian or Spanish league.  I don't think he is ever going to be a consistent performer in the EPL.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/28/2021 at 6:41 AM, dbecks said:

Speaking of Xhaka… right after he looks solid for a match, this happens:

Yeah, really sucks for him  Club confirmed he'll miss three months today. Thomas doesn't have the best record injurywise since he joined... he goes down, and we're really hurting in MF.

Edited by Dutch

time for Sambi and AMN to step up. i'd like to see AMN get an extended run of games in the midfield. ive always felt like he gets better the more he plays. he has real class, but he also can be erratic and out of control sometimes, which i feel is due to him never having had a long, consistent run of games. let's give him some run and see how he fares. 

eh, i'll take it. Brighton have been good this year, and that was a well-earned point on the road. this season is all about cohesion- players staying healthy, and getting acclimated to both one another as well as Arteta's system. i just want to see growth and development from the team in its understanding of what we're trying to do. top 4 is a total fantasy, so finishing in a Europa league spot is the goal. after starting 0-0-3 and looking totally inept, i will take Arsenal being on 10 points at this international break. we are still in a good position to finish the way we want to. let's just hope that Saka is alright.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1