Fat People

Hanrahan

Fat is a topic I both feel passionate about as well as struggle with. A couple points:

1) May seem like a shitty humblebrag but I've been blessed with good genes, eat mostly food I cook at home (instead of restaurants) and have done p90x videos fairly religiously since they came out 15 years ago, so I'm in really good shape, as is my wife.  However we are struggling right now with our 7 year old daughter's weight.  She isn't totally fat in the sense that it would be the first thing you'd notice about her, but she's overweight.  She has a mental disorder called "oppositional defiant disorder".  It's really a horrible thing because you'd never know she has a problem, until she starts both verbally and physically assaulting adults.  She was kicked out of her private pre-K program as well as banned from last summer's country club day camps due to her behavior.  The only medicine we've found that really helps her is one that both slows her metabolism and makes her hungry all the time.  Hence, it packs on the lbs.  It's really difficult to manage.  So I don't ever judge fat people, because I don't know their circumstances.  I think an underreported issue with people's weight is the impact of mental issues and the medicine they take for it.  I'm no doctor, just going off what I've seen personally.

2) I've got enough knowledge of nutrition and exercise to effectively manage my weight.  However, I think the country as a whole could really benefit from a massive initiative to teach these subjects, either in school or somewhere else.  I truly believe people just have no idea what they're doing.  I have a cousin-in-law who is probably 30 years old and 150 lbs overweight, and he posts pictures of him lifting weights showing how he's working to lose weight.  I mean, I guess it's a start but he doesn't appreciate that the impact will come from his diet.  Go watch youtube videos of concerts from the 90s and look at the crowds - no obesity to be seen - it's a shocking contrast to what you see daily today.  I really wish we as a country would do something because it's a true health crisis that people don't appreciate fully.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Slorch’s super simple solution!!!

The calculus of not overeating and Having a decent diet while exercising is overwhelming.  Maybe government can  solve it for us.

(looks at notes)

nope.  Not yet.Hint: Most of life solutions aren’t near as complicated as some of you people make them out to be.

Edited by slorch

Government corn sugar machine goes brrrrr. Do they still teach the food pyramid in school?

Thinking about the 90s when every high calorie thing under the sun was marketed as fat free - remember those chips with indigestible fat that would make you leak out of your butthole?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Still today dietary fat is a huge taboo. Even the Atkins (keto) products advertised on TV don’t mention fat.

One issue with dietary fats is that they're high in calories.  So while it's good that the myths about dietary fats are eroding, some folks who learn that fats are a healthy component of an overall diet don't also understand that you still have to watch your caloric intake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Fat is a topic I both feel passionate about as well as struggle with. A couple points:

1) May seem like a shitty humblebrag but I've been blessed with good genes, eat mostly food I cook at home (instead of restaurants) and have done p90x videos fairly religiously since they came out 15 years ago, so I'm in really good shape, as is my wife.  However we are struggling right now with our 7 year old daughter's weight.  She isn't totally fat in the sense that it would be the first thing you'd notice about her, but she's overweight.  She has a mental disorder called "oppositional defiant disorder".  It's really a horrible thing because you'd never know she has a problem, until she starts both verbally and physically assaulting adults.  She was kicked out of her private pre-K program as well as banned from last summer's country club day camps due to her behavior.  The only medicine we've found that really helps her is one that both slows her metabolism and makes her hungry all the time.  Hence, it packs on the lbs.  It's really difficult to manage.  So I don't ever judge fat people, because I don't know their circumstances.  I think an underreported issue with people's weight is the impact of mental issues and the medicine they take for it.  I'm no doctor, just going off what I've seen personally.

2) I've got enough knowledge of nutrition and exercise to effectively manage my weight.  However, I think the country as a whole could really benefit from a massive initiative to teach these subjects, either in school or somewhere else.  I truly believe people just have no idea what they're doing.  I have a cousin-in-law who is probably 30 years old and 150 lbs overweight, and he posts pictures of him lifting weights showing how he's working to lose weight.  I mean, I guess it's a start but he doesn't appreciate that the impact will come from his diet.  Go watch youtube videos of concerts from the 90s and look at the crowds - no obesity to be seen - it's a shocking contrast to what you see daily today.  I really wish we as a country would do something because it's a true health crisis that people don't appreciate fully.

Great points

1) You're right that a fair amount of medicine impacts appetite. This goes into another problem, IMHO, of over-medicating of Americans. 100% that many people are helped by medication. No doubt but it doesn't mean that all of them should remain on medication. I can see that it's easy for a doctor to keep a patient on medication because it's working and not push for lowering the dosage or looking for non-medication alternatives. 

2) The workout myth is strongly pushed by the food industry: "It's not our fault that your 3500 calorie diet is causing weight gain. You need to hit the gym more."  As you know, your overweight cousin has a low likelihood of losing weight at the gym.

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can see that it's easy for a doctor to keep a patient on medication because it's working and not push for lowering the dosage or looking for non-medication alternatives. 

there is no money in actually solving the problem. there's billions to be made treating the symptoms.

the reason we're fat is because corps make 100s of $billions each year making sure we are fat. it's big business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

there is no money in actually solving the problem. there's billions to be made treating the symptoms.

the reason we're fat is because corps make 100s of $billions each year making sure we are fat. it's big business.

Bariatric surgery growing at high rates. 62% over past 8 years, thru 2019, according to this chart.  https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers

This report estimates 9% annual growth for the rest of this decade. If true, this will more than double the number of procedures by the end of the decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fat shaming is definitely the wrong approach. Especially on a micro level. There are in fact many large people who have little control over it, and there are very large people who are in fact very healthy. These are mostly exceptions though so on a macro level, we need some policies (including from governments) on how to make food more nutritious and available. The reasons this haven't happened have been discussed pretty well so far in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:50 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I could give two shits if they want to shove their faces full of Big Macs for the rest of their lives, it's just that for a lot of them the eventual health bills will be far more than they can afford, and so somebody else (the rest of us) are going to pay for it.

Ah yes, the same issue can be applied to the COVID Vaccination, Smoking and Alcohol abuse. Any suggestion on how to help with these situations?

21 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

The way politics are in this country?  Instead of making it about health and nutrition, one of our two parties would frame it as a FREEDOM issue.  A First Lady tried to make school lunches healthier and caused OUTRAGE.  A very popular fat-fuck talk radio host bitched about it for hour after hour. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:25 AM, South Austin said:

One issue with dietary fats is that they're high in calories.  So while it's good that the myths about dietary fats are eroding, some folks who learn that fats are a healthy component of an overall diet don't also understand that you still have to watch your caloric intake. 

Yeah, it's like some people skip over the fact that fat is very calorie dense. Actually I suspect it's partially ignorance too.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:54 PM, Gil Bang said:

The way politics are in this country?  Instead of making it about health and nutrition, one of our two parties would frame it as a FREEDOM issue.  A First Lady tried to make school lunches healthier and caused OUTRAGE.  A very popular fat-fuck talk radio host bitched about it for hour after hour. 

Well part of the reason we're fat is govt. policy, yet some folks always reccomend more of that.

Surprised to hear you listen to talk radio, I personally don't recommend that OR any cable news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, it's like some people skip over the fact that fat is very calorie dense. Actually I suspect it's partially ignorance too.

Most definitely, but a little fat satiates hunger cravings. Low fat diets can lead to ravenous appetites, for some. 

Everything in moderation, of course. And everyone is different. 

Spoiler

Fats satisfy hunger (the need to eat) because they’re slower to be digested and absorbed than other macronutrients.

• Dietary fat thus contributes to satiety—the feeling of being satisfied or full.
    • When fatty foods are swallowed:
      • the body responds by enabling the processes controlling digestion to slow the movement of food along the digestive tract, giving fats more time to be digested and absorbed and promoting an overall sense of fullness.
    • Sometimes, before the feeling of fullness arrives, people overindulge in fat-rich foods, finding the delectable taste irresistible.
      • Slowing down to appreciate the taste and texture of foods can give your body time to send signals of satiety to your brain, so you can eat enough to be satisfied without feeling overly full.

https://openoregon.pressbooks.pub/nutritionscience/chapter/5a-function-of-fats/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Most definitely, but a little fat satiates hunger cravings. Low fat diets can lead to ravenous appetites, for some. 

Reveal hidden contents

Fats satisfy hunger (the need to eat) because they’re slower to be digested and absorbed than other macronutrients.

• Dietary fat thus contributes to satiety—the feeling of being satisfied or full.
      • the body responds by enabling the processes controlling digestion to slow the movement of food along the digestive tract, giving fats more time to be digested and absorbed and promoting an overall sense of fullness.
    • Sometimes, before the feeling of fullness arrives, people overindulge in fat-rich foods, finding the delectable taste irresistible.
      • Slowing down to appreciate the taste and texture of foods can give your body time to send signals of satiety to your brain, so you can eat enough to be satisfied without feeling overly full.

Yep.  Nuts are a perfect example.  Eat a handful of almonds, and you have an excellent combination of protein and heart-healthy fiber and fat that will all satiate your hunger.  Eat a bagful of almonds, and you can pack on 200-300 calories easily. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

Google the "potato hack".  Kind of genius.  Been around since the late 1800's.  When you heat/cook/boil potato's, but then allow them to cool (say in the fridge), it changes the composition into what's called "resistant starches"(RS)  This is why potato salad has such a low glycemic index.  Often used as the "nuclear option" for dieticians when nothing else is working for obese clients.  They eat nothing but cooled potatoes.ie., they are eating nothing but resistant starches.

For most of us, it's a good supplement snack 

This fiber/starch is also rocket fuel for your gut.  

Tater' hack

Resistant Starch is a type of starch that is indigestible to us, but feeds our microbiome. When a potato is heated and then cooled a significant amount of its starch is retrograded into resistant starch. This means the effect on blood sugar is greatly dampened. The potato can even be reheated and it will still retain its resistant starch content. The nourishment to our gut biome and the subsequent metabolic benefits cannot be overstated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

SO.....boys ang girls, when you get BBQ, but want to feel somewhat healthy:  skip the sauce, and have your sides be tater' salad and pickles/onions.  Viola!

I’ve never heard that about the cooked potatoes. Learned something new today.

But as much as I love potato salad, it won’t do me much good. I like potato salad hot and fresh. Can’t be having that stuff cold like the other savages.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve never heard that about the cooked potatoes. Learned something new today.

But as much as I love potato salad, it won’t do me much good. I like potato salad hot and fresh. Can’t be having that stuff cold like the other savages.

You can heat it, cool it down, then re-heat it and the composition of the resistant starches is unchanged.  Good to go.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

SO.....boys ang girls, when you get BBQ, but want to feel somewhat healthy:  skip the sauce, and have your sides be tater' salad and pickles/onions.  Viola!

Do you have any idea what site you're on? Or what you've done? I'd watch your back, homie.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Those look like sides, but I stand by my point.  You want sauce, order pasta.....

You apparently don't get the reference.  Wait for the quote at the .42 mark and commence throwing stuff at your computer screen.  Oh, and the dipshit poser refers to this great place in Austin called "Franklin's."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You apparently don't get the reference.  Wait for the quote at the .42 mark and commence throwing stuff at your computer screen.  Oh, and the dipshit poser refers to this great place in Austin called "Franklin's."

AHHHHHH!

I won't STAND for it!

14 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

I am definitely not an advocate of low fat. I consume a lot of it myself. Just pointing out that fat packs a lot of calories that can easily lead to a surplus of calories.

It helps if the source of the fat being consumed is a good one. Meat, fish, nuts, and other natural sources sure, deep fried foods shouldn't be justified with dietary fat is ok.

But getting back to something more innocent like peanut butter that is pretty good but packs a lot of calories for a small amount.  We've used it for weight gain and it's pretty easy to slap together a high calorie peanut butter sandwich without it looking outrageous. It can be pretty easy for someone to make a peanut butter sandwich for a snack when it might have more calories than a Royale with cheese from McDonald's.

That was primarily my point about the caloric density of fat and ignorance concerning serving size.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I am definitely not an advocate of low fat. I consume a lot of it myself. Just pointing out that fat packs a lot of calories that can easily lead to a surplus of calories.

It helps if the source of the fat being consumed is a good one. Meat, fish, nuts, and other natural sources sure, deep fried foods shouldn't be justified with dietary fat is ok.

But getting back to something more innocent like peanut butter that is pretty good but packs a lot of calories for a small amount.  We've used it for weight gain and it's pretty easy to slap together a high calorie peanut butter sandwich without it looking outrageous. It can be pretty easy for someone to make a peanut butter sandwich for a snack when it might have more calories than a Royale with cheese from McDonald's.

That was primarily my point about the caloric density of fat and ignorance concerning serving size.

When I was trying to put on weight in HS coach made me eat PB&J sammiches each night before going to bed.  Later, skiing or mountain hunting on the cheap, I'd make PB&J + bacon sammiches.  Just tons of dense calories and fats/sugars at altitude.  So good.

When I was trying to put on weight in HS coach made me eat PB&J sammiches each night before going to bed.  Later, skiing or mountain hunting on the cheap, I'd make PB&J + bacon sammiches.  Just tons of dense calories and fats/sugars at altitude.  So good.

Did you steal Elvis’s cookbook?
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Did you steal Elvis’s cookbook?

Ha.  The sweet/salty combo - it's the best.  We started in college skiing on the cheap in NM.  We'd ski all day and a pair of those keep you in the fight all day.  Banana and coffee for breakfast.  Pizza and craft beer for dinner.  Felt like Wolverine back then.  Just heal up almost anything and ready for more.  Now getting out of bed hurts.....

• Like 1