Fat People

Hanrahan

I'm not remotely an expert on nutrition and so I'm venturing way outside my area of competency but presumably a utilitarian outcome based evaluation of domestic ag policy (which would never happen) would be relevant. How we produce and use corn has very little to do with market demand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mole said:

1. People who want to lose weight but never seem to do so often tell me that losing weight was really easy for me and that it’s really complicated. It was the exact opposite. It was very simple but very difficult. Friends and family minimizing the work I did is a little annoying, but I understand the psychology.

Holy shit this.   I don't know how many times i have heard "it was easy for you".   Fuuuuuuck you, you still fat fuck.   It was hard and it sucked balls. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I’m in no position to judge anyone’s weight. I’ve always been (pretty much) the same since I was 13. 5’8” 120. Have dipped below and up to 133.  The people I know that KNOW they are overweight feel the shame of every pound. Fuck as long as you are healthy and your doctor says nada about your heart or cholesterol…why does anyone care? If you want to eat flaming hot Cheetos dipped in chocolate do it! 

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

I was reading a story a couple months ago about an individual and his weight loss journey.  I don’t remember the specifics but when he started he was in the 5’9” - 5’10 range and around 350lbs.  

Like many of you suggested, he documented everything he consumed.  But, taking it one step further, he also journaled his friends and families reactions so he could use it as motivation along the way.  

What he found was interesting and ultimately became the greater “story” within his story.  Almost all of the feedback he received the first 100-120 lbs of his weight loss were what you expected: constant encouragement, praisings of his physical appearances, offers from people to join him on his morning walks, near constant pats on the back, etc.  

However, as he continued to lose the weight he ultimately fell below the “normal” weight of that of his social group and he began noticing the responses from his friends changed drastically.  

Suddenly the comments of “you look great, keep up the good work!” gave way to “don’t you feel like you’ve earned a break?” and near constant pushing of people urging him to sneak in a dessert or two, encouraging to incorporate more cheat days and meals into his diet, etc.  

The last 20lbs of his journal basically became people non-stop trying to talk him out of everything they had praised him for the first year+        

The piece went much more in depth on the matter but the crux of it was everyone was encouraging of his actions until it ultimately turned the mirror on them.  

You can duplicate this story with almost anything that could be classified as bad or poor behavior. If you have a drinking problem and your friends are relatively low volume, social drinkers; many of them will have a problem with you if you give up drinking 100%.  Your presence of not drinking, implies they are doing something wrong. They have a problem with you not drinking. Sure they don't want you to be falling down drunk, so why can't you just moderate your behavior so I can enjoy my beer. 

Sometimes you need to find new friends, even if that means you have no friends for a while.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Like obliterating that stupid "health pyramid" is a good start.  That's on a state and federal level.  Illustrating how many things break down into simple sugars:  breads, pastas, carrots, starches, granola, etc.  

I'm not aware of anyone in medicine that uses anything the government provides as a source for how to produce a diet.

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

I'm not aware of anyone in medicine that uses anything the government provides as a source for how to produce a diet.

In today's world, there are plenty of opportunities for people to educate themselves but the food pyramids of the US govt can dictate policy especially when govt agencies are providing meals. They co-serve the purpose of providing business opportunities for company that sell food to the govt. Schools, prisons, maybe the military could be required to adhere to the FDA requirements or recommendations.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In today's world, there are plenty of opportunities for people to educate themselves but the food pyramids of the US govt can dictate policy especially when govt agencies are providing meals. They co-serve the purpose of providing business opportunities for company that sell food to the govt. Schools, prisons, maybe the military could be required to adhere to the FDA requirements or recommendations.

Probably half the people I interact with on a daily basis give two shits about the US govt's recs regarding a Pandemic. Assuming people look up whatever.gov to determine their diet is silly. Now the govt schools/prisons/military might benefit from a change, but that is such a small percentage. Point being, the pyramid is not the problem.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

5’8” 133 is fairly normal I suspect. I would need pics of up tops and ass to know if it is proportioned appropriately. 

These pictures were shared sadly during a drinking binge in the Urban to Texas thread. Which was classic. And is supposed to be viewable. As a classic thread. @immamac like where is it?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I am 6’4” 220. I weighed 190 in high school and was totally ripped. I need to lose 10-15, but honestly think I’d look like a camp survivor at 205 now. So i have little room to talk.  

But yes, i hate fat people.  I don’t even talk to fat family members or friends any more. The worst thing this country has done is make “fat shaming” a thing. Fat people should be shamed at every opportunity. I won’t hire anyone overweight. These people will either figure it out, or will die early, and continuously so until their contribution to the population % dwindles. Maybe I’m giving America too much credit. 

Honest question. Do you have any friends?

Perceptions have shifted to make everyone feel better about themselves. There is a reason that the word obese has negative connotations but if you barely fall into that category there are many (most?) Americans that will think you're only a few pounds too heavy. Overweight is now normal. Normal weight is considered skinny.

8 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Probably half the people I interact with on a daily basis give two shits about the US govt's recs regarding a Pandemic. Assuming people look up whatever.gov to determine their diet is silly. Now the govt schools/prisons/military might benefit from a change, but that is such a small percentage. Point being, the pyramid is not the problem.

Yes and No. 

On a micro level, any individual can make their own food choices.

On a macro level, Uncle Sam plays a very large role in determining the types of foods that are produced and consumed in this country via FDA approvals, subsidies paid to family farmers and Big Ag, determinations of what people can buy with food stamps, and even what foods are allowed to market to adults and children.

The fact is that if all Americans decided to start eating healthy tomorrow, there's not enough good food to go around.

Bernard 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I'm pretty sure the food pyramid is being taught to kids in middle school FWIW.

It is.  I have one going into 8th grade.  It's pretty clear that pyramid messed up generations of people that still think a bagel and a coffee loaded with toppings is a "healthy" breakfast.  

18 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I'm pretty sure the food pyramid is being taught to kids in middle school FWIW.

I don't know about taught, but it exists.  My recollection of the food pyramid in school was just seeing a poster of it on the wall in a classroom.  I don't recall it ever being mentioned.  I'm 36 btw.  I guess I could have forgotten about the day someone talked about it, but if that's the case how can it be a boogeyman.

While not quite as harsh, I agree 100% with the poster above about shame. It is a very powerful motivator, and you can easily draw correlations between the removal of shame / acceptance of a particular behavior to its exponential increase. This is only going to get worse with the fatties. My wife shops at a few sexy stores, and every one of them now has fatties prominently displayed - the VS catalog has basically become a community college catalog of heifers. Health weight already is getting pulled into the "white supremacy" list of sins, so that's not going to help either. At work, we're already getting woke emails about "body shaming" patients wrapped in all the DEI bullshit. So yeah, it is only going to get worse.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Actually I have no fat friends.  But yeah, I’m a pretty popular guy.  Why do you ask?

we are assholes on here and the vast majority of us are joking. it's our surly internet persona. we are not assholes in real life.

your many posts suggest that you are what you posts on here. you may really be an asshole.

most assholes don't have many, if any, friends. so just checking.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't know about taught, but it exists.  My recollection of the food pyramid in school was just seeing a poster of it on the wall in a classroom.  I don't recall it ever being mentioned.  I'm 36 btw.  I guess I could have forgotten about the day someone talked about it, but if that's the case how can it be a boogeyman.

I have a recollection of elementary school in regards to a balanced plate of the right foods to eat. Or the daily recommendation. X servings of grain, milk/dairy, meat, vegetables. And presented with a worksheet showing different plates and whether they added up to a balanced daily food plan. In hindsight, it will a good math lesson. Perhaps not so much a nutrition lesson.

Wasn't the lesson something like 4-4-3-2 in terms of servings? American grains and vegetables needed to be represented at greater than 2 at every meal, to get the profits flowing.

I wouldn't discount some lessons that are imprinted from an early age from school and your surroundings.

It's not just the US. Travel to Europe and you'll see it there too.
Blame Bill Gates/Steve Jobs for moving our jobs to 8 hours of sitting behind a desk. 
Our food has a large part of the blame too. Added sugars, processed whatevers, grab two identical items off the shelf, one from here and one from a country in Europe. The US bought item will have a long list of ingredients most of which we can not pronounce that the same item from Europe doesn't have

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m in no position to judge anyone’s weight. I’ve always been (pretty much) the same since I was 13. 5’8” 120. Have dipped below and up to 133.  The people I know that KNOW they are overweight feel the shame of every pound. Fuck as long as you are healthy and your doctor says nada about your heart or cholesterol…why does anyone care? If you want to eat flaming hot Cheetos dipped in chocolate do it! 

Go on...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Smax said:
On 7/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, Cheeseweasel said:
It's not just the US. Travel to Europe and you'll see it there too.
Blame Bill Gates/Steve Jobs for moving our jobs to 8 hours of sitting behind a desk. 

Our food has a large part of the blame too. Added sugars, processed whatevers, grab two identical items off the shelf, one from here and one from a country in Europe. The US bought item will have a long list of ingredients most of which we can not pronounce that the same item from Europe doesn't have

That would make the items not identical then, no?

18 hours ago, F250 said:

Yes, I agree. It's a health crisis but there is a right way and wrong way to address it. I think Michele Obama's efforts were on the right path because it brought the discussion of nutrition to the forefront but unfortunately it was politicized and the reaction was "muh cupcakes and soda in school is a natural right."

Conservative-shaming is def effective tho.

1. I'm 6'1" and 195, and about 10 lbs overweight IMO

2. Brisket thinks we don't read the Hey Steel Shank! thread?

3. Sugar is not price-subsidized, we pay about 50% more than the world price. As a result there is no sugar in anything I can find outside of Mexican Coke. As Celery pointed out like on page 2 it is corn. Something like 50% of your avg. grocery store by weight is corn. May be a semantic point as I'm not sure if anybody thinks swapping the HFCS or whatever w/ sugar would do any good.

4. Societal pressure, my most recent job we ate lunch as a group 3 times a week, 95% of the time at a Mexican food place (915). If you leave, say, more than 25% of your food on the plate the waiter person will ask about it. Also during this time that was my only meal of the day. And I'm still fat

5. Shout out to San Antonio peeps for being the fattest.

edit, forgot about

6. Federal food policies that resulted in subbing carbs for fat is a big culprit IMO but not the only one. That said I don't trust the govt. to fix this problem, at least not without creating another, possibly worse one.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

the step to fixing a problem is admitting that you have one.

your family has been patiently waiting. do it today. have courage.

we're here if you need help.

And remember that food can be a big comfort in times like these.

29 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Sugar is not price-subsidized, we pay about 50% more than the world price. As a result there is no sugar in anything I can find outside of Mexican Coke. As Celery pointed out like on page 2 it is corn. Something like 50% of your avg. grocery store by weight is corn. May be a semantic point as I'm not sure if anybody thinks swapping the HFCS or whatever w/ sugar would do any good.

US sugar policies are protective and designed to keep imported sugar out in order to keep the price of sugar dropping too low. It would be cheaper if we didn't have quotas on imported sugar.

Agree on the HFCS vs sugar issue. Both are equally bad for everyone and should be avoided.

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL.   Feel better now?  Obama's F up was not her intentions, but the shitty results of her program that served warmed over dog shit to kids who then took pics and posted them online of the crap they were being forced to eat.  Or poor districts, restricted form servicing certain items, had kids go hungry as their options were limited.  Of that did have fruits & veggies, a Harvard study later indicated more than half were discarded each day.  Hardly partisan interference.

Diet and exercise start at home.  Fat people raise fat kids.  Healthy people for the most part raise healthy kids.  

The program named “Lets Move?” I don’t know your sources, but this one says:

”However, looking back at the above JAMA study, at obesity rates in children between the ages of 2- and 5-years-old, researchers found a significant overall decrease in that population: Only 8 percent of 2- to 5-year-olds were obese in 2012, down from 14 percent in 2004.

This is the first time we’ve seen any significant indication of any significant decrease in any group,” Cynthia L. Ogden, a researcher for the CDC, and the lead author of the report, told the New York Times.

https://onlinedegrees.unr.edu/blog/what-has-the-impact-of-lets-move-had-on-childhood-obesity/

Edited by Willfully Horn
Bolded
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

One of the issues we face is that every big problem like this is an opportunity to shit on people we perceive as stupider and weaker than us. And why should we do anything to improve when it feels so good to point at people and talk about how smart and strong we are in comparison.

I’m certainly guilty of falling into that mode. It is a character issue.

QFT.

23 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I'm actually shocked that one of the low budget airlines like Spirit has not moved to a weight-based pricing model.

They already charged you a penalty if your bag is over a certain weight why not just combine the passenger and the luggage give them one total weight allowance and if you're over 200 or 250 lb you start paying.

If you're not over 200 when combined with a piece of luggage you either travel very lightly or are one small mother fucker.

I’ll believe obesity is on a decline in any age group when I see it.  And what happens to those kids when they reach their teens years and beyond? As mentioned above the embracing of obesity is gonna end up spiking a problem already way out of hand.  

Edited by Lhorn

Guest Lobo

Lots of airlines weigh everybody and everything before the flight.  I've been on tiny little airplanes to tiny little places in Latin America to find good fishing.  And they weigh your gear, your carry-on, and you before wheels up.  And they situate everyone based on their weight.  I'm sure many of y'all have had similar experiences.  

I'm consistently surprised at why fat people don't rise up as a group and claim they are being oppressed.  They shit on other groups-ethnic, sexual orientation, political, et. al.  But they never bother to aggregate and defy their marginalization.  

I feel really bad for my nephew.  I hadn't seen him in 4+ years when he was a little chunky.  But my half sister who I don't see or talk to but every few years brought him down to see Texas a couple months ago.  Kid is 13 years old, probably 5'9" and is easily 200 pounds, pushing 225.  Can barely get himself in or out of a chair.  I feel so bad for him.  Just heartbreaking to see.  And everybody around him is just in complete denial about him.  His mother and father think because he eats fruit once a week that he's the picture of health.  I dunno.  I barely talk to them so I ain't saying shit.  Our mother sees it too but she can't say anything since they live near each other.  But 20 years ago, I think somebody from school or church or a physician would say something to my half-sister about the kid.  But nowadays, you can't say shit.  And that's insane to me.  I know it's not my place since, but somebody close should at least point out that the kid almost passes out playing video games, let alone walking.  What I'm really afraid of is that he internalizes a lot and when he gets to high school, he's gonna get bullied a lot about his weight.  And the ruse will be over and instead of proactively handling this, shit's gonna hit the fan.  Freshmen year of high school is not a good time to finally be told that you're morbidly obese in addition to all the other bullshit.  /rant.  I just feel so bad for the kid and I don;t know how to help him. 

30 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

The program named “Lets Move?” I don’t know your sources, but this one says:

”However, looking back at the above JAMA study, at obesity rates in children between the ages of 2- and 5-years-old, researchers found a significant overall decrease in that population: Only 8 percent of 2- to 5-year-olds were obese in 2012, down from 14 percent in 2004.

This is the first time we’ve seen any significant indication of any significant decrease in any group,” Cynthia L. Ogden, a researcher for the CDC, and the lead author of the report, told the New York Times.

https://onlinedegrees.unr.edu/blog/what-has-the-impact-of-lets-move-had-on-childhood-obesity/

The story I mentioned earlier about my son throwing the Allsups burrito out the window is somewhat related to this. My son was in elementary school when that program started up and he took an interest in the subject. He had a lot of questions regarding nutrition that we would discuss at home that he was being exposed to in school. 

Essentially the discussion on proper nutrition was happening at school and home and being reinforced in both places. In our experience it was very beneficial. To this day we still regularly discuss nutrition but now it's more bro science than basic nutrition.