Fat People

Hanrahan

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Lots of airlines weigh everybody and everything before the flight.  I've been on tiny little airplanes to tiny little places in Latin America to find good fishing.  And they weigh your gear, your carry-on, and you before wheels up.  And they situate everyone based on their weight.  I'm sure many of y'all have had similar experiences.  

I'm consistently surprised at why fat people don't rise up as a group and claim they are being oppressed.  They shit on other groups-ethnic, sexual orientation, political, et. al.  But they never bother to aggregate and defy their marginalization.  

I feel really bad for my nephew.  I hadn't seen him in 4+ years when he was a little chunky.  But my half sister who I don't see or talk to but every few years brought him down to see Texas a couple months ago.  Kid is 13 years old, probably 5'9" and is easily 200 pounds, pushing 225.  Can barely get himself in or out of a chair.  I feel so bad for him.  Just heartbreaking to see.  And everybody around him is just in complete denial about him.  His mother and father think because he eats fruit once a week that he's the picture of health.  I dunno.  I barely talk to them so I ain't saying shit.  Our mother sees it too but she can't say anything since they live near each other.  But 20 years ago, I think somebody from school or church or a physician would say something to my half-sister about the kid.  But nowadays, you can't say shit.  And that's insane to me.  I know it's not my place since, but somebody close should at least point out that the kid almost passes out playing video games, let alone walking.  What I'm really afraid of is that he internalizes a lot and when he gets to high school, he's gonna get bullied a lot about his weight.  And the ruse will be over and instead of proactively handling this, shit's gonna hit the fan.  Freshmen year of high school is not a good time to finally be told that you're morbidly obese in addition to all the other bullshit.  /rant.  I just feel so bad for the kid and I don;t know how to help him. 

A 5'9 200 pound 13 year old? I would encourage football. Someone pointing out that the kid is fat is useless. Encouraging someone to use their size and train for a sport is a lot more effective.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I just feel so bad for the kid and I don;t know how to help him. 

Go visit. Ignore the parents. Take the nephew outside for pitch-and-catch, find one thing he is halfway good at, and work with him on it. You'll be the cool uncle. Then later, if he is really as big as you say he is, sneak him into a titty bar.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, F250 said:

A 5'9 200 pound 13 year old? I would encourage football. Someone pointing out that the kid is fat is useless. Encouraging someone to use their size and train for a sport is a lot more effective.

Yeah, I tried that.  While he was visiting, my cousin and I discovered he actually has a good arm (long toss baseball and football).  Kid loves basketball but hate to break it to him and his parents, he has zero future in basketball.  Not even intramural hoops.  Maybe football, but that's the Texas in me talking.  Y'all don't realize this but most of the country doesn't have middle school/junior high football.  I didn't play organized tackle football until the summer of 8th grade in Chicago.  But he thinks he's gonna be a QB when his whole physique screams OL. 

But good point, I need to emphasize and encourage lineman play to him before he gets to high school.  The other thing is I've been talking to him about "power pitchers", big guys who can bring the heat.  And of course, some shithead up there told them not to let your 13/14 year olds pitch hard because it could be bad for their development.  And I'm looking at this poor kid who weighs more than me like, "Yeah, learning to throw a breaking ball is what's gonna be bad for him."  

Anyway, I know this isn't the thread, but had to vent about the poor guy.  I don't think fat shaming him is gonna help, in fact it's gonna drive him to an even shittier high school experience.  But fucking-A, how did we get here as a society?  Let the adults have all the "Healthy at Any Weight" parades they want, who gives a shit.  Sure, it's a net cost to society to treat fat people for easily preventable health issues, but chalk it up as a cost of getting to the top of the food chain in a country with really great restaurants.  But seeing young kids struggle to just walk a flight of stairs before they need to onboard another bucket of chicken...that's just fucking sad.  I don't know how to fix it, but that's one thing I'd like to help solve.  

19 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Whatever happened to Big Craig and Smurfette? Not even sure I caught them on shaggy. 

She and I divorced in 2014. Saw Craig at the Delco center directing cars at the mass vax site they have/had there. Before then I saw him walking down W 6th (near lamar) and he looked like shit. Don't know that he's doing well. He still owes me $1600.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another fucked up thing in modern western culture is that we’ve bought collectively into the notion that everything has to taste awesome all the time. As an example, I used to buy whey protein powder as a supplement, and pretty much all the stuff you can buy off the shelf anywhere has artificial chocolate or vanilla taste and is very sweet. The only way to find unflavored whey protein is ordering online from a specialty place. Yes, unflavored doesn’t taste “good”, who gives a shit? You mix it, you down it, done. Why do all ice creams have to taste so fucking sweet? Actually don’t answer. It’s because sweet is addictive, and the manufacturers don’t care if their product is good for you. Just maximize profit, baby!

21 hours ago, Incredulity said:

This is definitely the weak men make hard times phase.  That’s why there are bums and junkies living in tent cities from San Diego to Seattle.

21 hours ago, aggie08 said:

What do you suggest "hard men" do with them?

21 hours ago, Incredulity said:

What we did prior to the last decade.

Cannibalism is now illegal in most states though, so now what?

21 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

And the eating healthy is really expensive/takes too long bit is something we really need to work on.   There are thousands of good meals you can make in 10-25 minutes that can feed 8-10 people for $2 meal/person at the very most, and hundreds that take less than 20 minutes to fix.  

I cook at home all the time, and my absolute goal is to keep our family meals in the $2-3/meal/person range. It sounds cheap as shit, but I make some fucking badass meals for my wife and I, with leftovers for us to take to work, and after all is said and done we’re out $15 for 5 or 6 servings.    

Agreed, but the problem is that plenty of folks come home tired at the end of the day, and they see McDonald's on the way home, and it's an easy and fairly cheap meal that the kids will like.

Or folks live in areas without decent grocery stores.  Decent as in good price and good selection.

In my early 20s, there were so many times where I ate shit food because it was cheap and easy, and I easily burned the calories off.  In my 30s, I worked at tech companies, and the culture was such that we were always eating at various little restaurants, most of which were not healthy, and I started putting on the pounds.  In my 40s I began making the effort to eat better (and track what I ate) and started shedding the pounds, but holy shit is it so easy to be tired at the end of the day and just get a pizza or McDonalds or whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XYZ said:

Another fucked up thing in modern western culture is that we’ve bought collectively into the notion that everything has to taste awesome all the time. As an example, I used to buy whey protein powder as a supplement, and pretty much all the stuff you can buy off the shelf anywhere has artificial chocolate or vanilla taste and is very sweet. The only way to find unflavored whey protein is ordering online from a specialty place. Yes, unflavored doesn’t taste “good”, who gives a shit? You mix it, you down it, done. Why do all ice creams have to taste so fucking sweet? Actually don’t answer. It’s because sweet is addictive, and the manufacturers don’t care if their product is good for you. Just maximize profit, baby!

I get encouraging people to make healthier food choices, but lamenting ice cream being sweet kind of loses the thread for me.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Body positivity is a good thing, but I think it’s rise in popularity recently has led to some people misusing it’s message to say certain levels of obesity are okay 

Yeah there is sometimes an overreaction (and an overreaction to the overreaction) but the attitudes (at least for women) around body image in the 90s and early 2000s was pretty bad. I had two not fat older sisters and it was obviously fucked up to me even as a kid the pressure they felt to conform exactly to whatever was on MTV or in Seventeen. This piece made me remember that, as well as youthful masturbation to Niki Taylor.

https://annehelen.substack.com/p/the-millennial-vernacular-of-fatphobia

• Rage+1 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, XYZ said:

I found it eye-opening to go on a very bland diet. I wanted to drop about 20 lbs and I ran across a Penn (of Penn & Teller) video (link) about how he ate nothing but boiled potatoes for a a couple of weeks. No butter, bacon, whatever added. I was curious so I actually tried this for a week. It's a bit extreme but why not. It completely reset my taste buds. Afterwards, I didn't even want something like ice cream. Average ice cream was too sweet. Carrots or corn taste practically like candy with their natural sugar.

That reset didn't last forever. You can swing back the other direction and want crap food again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I doubt they are motivated enough based on their inability to keep from shoving fritos and shakes down their pie holes.

This is moronic. Our country spends billions on dieting as well. We went from having the best food to the worst and everywhere that imports our food turns out like us. Advertising and lobbying is to blame not willpower. Willpower is a finite resource and a barrage of ads will break it down.

Now add in a 2 working parent household and take out becomes a higher percentage than it used to be for the 1950s household.

I am visiting my in-laws and I turned on a kids show, since I cut the cord I had no idea how bad it had become. Every commercial break during Despicable Me had 18 fucking commercials in a row.

Go to a fast food restaurant and look at the calorie count on what they are pushing to sell. If I recall correctly the human body can only process for energy between 300-400 calories at a meal.

Put all of these together and you can easily point the finger and it isn’t at the people. They didn’t hook themselves on sugar or design potato chips to exploit the peak salt/fat content to make it addicting and then advertise it as a challenge decades ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'm about to order a 1,100 calorie cheeseburger (five guys bacon cheeseburger). But I'm on a diet so no fries!!  /csb

Their fries are listed at 530 calories which has to be a lie. According to the Google a lb of fries is 1,415 calories. If you've eaten at FG you know they pile on the fries, I bet 1,000 calories. 

edit: one thing you notice when you cut carbs is you lose your appetite for them. No way in hell I would want to eat an entire serving of FG fries these days. Also I changed my mind and ordered the little cheeseburger. Only 700 calories!

Edited by GringoSalado

1 hour ago, GringoSalado said:

I'm about to order a 1,100 calorie cheeseburger (five guys bacon cheeseburger). But I'm on a diet so no fries!!  /csb

Their fries are listed at 530 calories which has to be a lie. According to the Google a lb of fries is 1,415 calories. If you've eaten at FG you know they pile on the fries, I bet 1,000 calories. 

edit: one thing you notice when you cut carbs is you lose your appetite for them. No way in hell I would want to eat an entire serving of FG fries these days. Also I changed my mind and ordered the little cheeseburger. Only 700 calories!

WTF is “FG”?

On 7/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah there is sometimes an overreaction (and an overreaction to the overreaction) but the attitudes (at least for women) around body image in the 90s and early 2000s was pretty bad. I had two not fat older sisters and it was obviously fucked up to me even as a kid the pressure they felt to conform exactly to whatever was on MTV or in Seventeen. This piece made me remember that, as well as youthful masturbation to Niki Taylor.

Interesting article as someone, obviously a guy though, from that time.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

Body positivity is a good thing, but I think it’s rise in popularity recently has led to some people misusing it’s message to say certain levels of obesity are okay 

This is 100% correct. Based on my trip to Vegas this weekend, the “it’s ok to be you” has been translated into “it’s ok to prance around dressed like a supermodel even though you are a 250 lb. cellulite laden tub of goo.”
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

16 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Maybe they place the serving size game?  It’s sold as a single serving but for the purposes of nutritional information, a serving is 15 fries?

This is what it is. The serving size can be deceiving. Five Guys gives you probably 3 servings of fries when it's all said and done. Even entrees can be multiple servings.

53 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is 100% correct. Based on my trip to Vegas this weekend, the “it’s ok to be you” has been translated into “it’s ok to prance around dressed like a supermodel even though you are a 250 lb. cellulite laden tub of goo.”

Did we meet?

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, Celery Man said:

Without a doubt, previous messaging about being thin hurt young girls and I’m sure it continues today. However the body acceptance movement hasn’t done any better for some women and men that have used it to ignore the unhealthy (over) weight that increase their health problem as they age.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

One interesting thing about a lot of overweight people is that no amount of painful consequences will change the behavior. My FIL has spent an extraordinary amount of time in the hospital and has had multiple heart procedures. The one thing every doctor has told him is that losing weight is the most important thing he can do.

His relationship with food is completely messed up. He only likes what he refers to a traditional food and everything else is extremely suspect. He thinks I’m a new age psycho for putting avocado on some things. The food he eats is part of his world view as much as anything. 

When we make an occasional healthy meal, he is actually depressed by it. The disappointment is palpable. He also has a completely warped view of what a normal weight is or what a normal portion size is. I need to lose 10-15 pounds so I’ve been watching how much I eat. He is mystified because he thinks I am underweight. He also looks at a normal plate of food as something really depressing. I wish I could help the guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

One interesting thing about a lot of overweight people is that no amount of painful consequences will change the behavior. My FIL has spent an extraordinary amount of time in the hospital and has had multiple heart procedures. The one thing every doctor has told him is that losing weight is the most important thing he can do.

His relationship with food is completely messed up. He only likes what he refers to a traditional food and everything else is extremely suspect. He thinks I’m a new age psycho for putting avocado on some things. The food he eats is part of his world view as much as anything. 

When we make an occasional healthy meal, he is actually depressed by it. The disappointment is palpable. He also has a completely warped view of what a normal weight is or what a normal portion size is. I need to lose 10-15 pounds so I’ve been watching how much I eat. He is mystified because he thinks I am underweight. He also looks at a normal plate of food as something really depressing. I wish I could help the guy.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. You hit on a great point that some are emotionally tied to their food tasting a certain way and requiring a large amount of it.  I recall a tv program where a man was literally in tears when his wife had ONE meal that didn’t meet his expectations. I hate labeling everything a mental lines but there is something there.

I probably yo-yo between what weight I want to be and 20lbs over that #. When I want to lose that 10-20 lbs, I can’t mention it at work. If I did, there is usually someone in the conversation that is 100+ lbs overweight, and their reply is that I’m not overweight and perhaps even underweight. I’m not underweight by any reasonable measure. Their view on life seems to be that 50 lbs overweight is “normal” weight. I just stay quiet and only talk food/weight with people that have my view on it.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sorry to hear about your FIL. You hit on a great point that some are emotionally tied to their food tasting a certain way and requiring a large amount of it.  I recall a tv program where a man was literally in tears when his wife had ONE meal that didn’t meet his expectations. I hate labeling everything a mental lines but there is something there.

I probably yo-yo between what weight I want to be and 20lbs over that #. When I want to lose that 10-20 lbs, I can’t mention it at work. If I did, there is usually someone in the conversation that is 100+ lbs overweight, and their reply is that I’m not overweight and perhaps even underweight. I’m not underweight by any reasonable measure. Their view on life seems to be that 50 lbs overweight is “normal” weight. I just stay quiet and only talk food/weight with people that have my view on it.

In his specific case, I do think that there are some mental health challenges. Every time he is forced to eat healthy for any extended period of time, he gets into a bad mental funk even as he is losing weight and seeming more healthy. Of course the same worldview that sees eating healthy as abandoning his roots/traditions also sees talking to a psychologist as blasphemous.

I do think that we need to have a national conversation about what a healthy weight and typical portion size looks like. We have gotten so far removed from normal world standards that 20 pounds overweight now seems normal to us.

One last observation. I used to work in poor schools and 80% of the kids were fat by 4th grade. I would say it’s 15-20% at the upperclass school I work at now. The difference isn’t money or time. It’s simply how they view food and nutrition. We would talk about cheap, healthy, and easy meals with the moms and the response was almost always “my kid doesn’t want to eat that”. They would roll in with a 2,200 calorie lunch the next day. But, all the kids were fat so there was no societal pressure to change.

On TOS there was a fasting thread, and i talked a bit about some of my hard core fasting.   I lost 150lbs in about 8 months and after almost 3 years I'm still 125 down.   So went from 345 to 195, and i hover around 225 now (I'm 6'1 and 53 years old).    
So not close to skinny, but can tie my shoes and run a 10k without dying.
All that to say I have some experience being fat ( i had a decade of big time obesity and a life time of needing to lose a few).   I understand them.
Those fatties know they are fat, they have just given up and don't think they can fix it.   Every minute of the day they think about their weight, they don't go on family vacations, or if they do, it is reluctantly.   That guy debated about going to the astros game because those seats are small and he knew they will be in the next person's way sitting there - but someone convinced them and they couldn't tell them why they didn't want to go.   They wake up every Monday morning saying today is the day it will change and they fail by lunch.   Over and over, decade after decade they fail.    All that failure is just a beating and have given up.    They have accepted their fate - they are committing suicide, and they know it, and they hate themselves way more than you hate them.  
What did you do for hard core fasting? @49, I'm fighting my ass off to stay under 250(5'11). Just two years ago, I was a comfortable 220.

22 hours ago, Nivek said:

Put all of these together and you can easily point the finger and it isn’t at the people. They didn’t hook themselves on sugar or design potato chips to exploit the peak salt/fat content to make it addicting and then advertise it as a challenge decades ago.

Right. Let's not put any blame on the people that are not able to keep from practicing portion control. It's those big evil corporations. I'm just ecstatic we don't get those fast food joints in Colorado, and we don't have those mind altering commercials here.

Hell while we are at it, why don't we give a trophy to those people who don't wander into the 50+ BMI range. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:
On 7/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, Mr. Drummond said:
On TOS there was a fasting thread, and i talked a bit about some of my hard core fasting.   I lost 150lbs in about 8 months and after almost 3 years I'm still 125 down.   So went from 345 to 195, and i hover around 225 now (I'm 6'1 and 53 years old).    
So not close to skinny, but can tie my shoes and run a 10k without dying.
All that to say I have some experience being fat ( i had a decade of big time obesity and a life time of needing to lose a few).   I understand them.
Those fatties know they are fat, they have just given up and don't think they can fix it.   Every minute of the day they think about their weight, they don't go on family vacations, or if they do, it is reluctantly.   That guy debated about going to the astros game because those seats are small and he knew they will be in the next person's way sitting there - but someone convinced them and they couldn't tell them why they didn't want to go.   They wake up every Monday morning saying today is the day it will change and they fail by lunch.   Over and over, decade after decade they fail.    All that failure is just a beating and have given up.    They have accepted their fate - they are committing suicide, and they know it, and they hate themselves way more than you hate them.  

What did you do for hard core fasting? @49, I'm fighting my ass off to stay under 250(5'11). Just two years ago, I was a comfortable 220.

Really simply.   I ate once a week.   Thats it.   Drank water and took vitamins.     I did one long 22 day fast, which was a bit hardcore, but mostly, just ate once a week.

• Like 1

In my family we were lucky. My mom was the tall athletic sister who married the tall athletic guy. My shorter less-athletic aunt married the shorter less-athletic guy. I love my chunky aunt, uncle, and cousins, but they never had a chance, they were literally carrying extra weight right out the gate.

At my house, food was not love, it was food. We enjoyed it, usually simple meals, and for all the "MOM I'M HUNGRY" kid moments we were told to grab a carrot or a pickle or an apple or something. Dessert was not a thing, it just never came up. Oh, I'd blow my allowance on candy bars, and the cereals I selected (for the toy) were 60% sugar, but at the same time we were doing Dazed and Confused antics of running around outside throwing rocks at each other. I didn't know anybody who drank a Coke every day, much less more than 12 ounces.

It was fun visiting my cousins and their food was always great. Big giant pots of cheesy stews and cheesy lasagna and other good heavy meals, with cheese. Pies and cakes for dessert. If we'd eaten it year-round, me personally, I'd be a Rascal Scooter Dood now. To my cousins' credit, they must be doing something right because they are all able to get around and do stuff. One of the younger generation has the makings of a high school basketball star.

Anyway, I look at what people consider normal today, and me and my family would probably be considered starving health nuts now, when what we were was fairly ordinary, pre-chain-restaurant-blitz of the country.

tldr: I like stories

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Really simply.   I ate once a week.   Thats it.   Drank water and took vitamins.     I did one long 22 day fast, which was a bit hardcore, but mostly, just ate once a week.

I’ve read your posts before on your eating once per week, but what are you eating the rest of the year? Do you gain 100 lbs and then crash diet it off over 1 month? You shouldn’t have to literally starve yourself to get to a healthy weight.

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

He probably enjoys what he enjoys because it reminds him of his youth.