2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

We're gonna see a lot of intentional misdirection from high-profile portals because of both NIL and to avoid tampering appearances.

USC baseball had a losing record last year. Texas is preseason top 2. Recruits in any sport generally prefer good teams over bad ones.

If these stats are correct, they don’t really suggest that he’s a D1-level baseball talent 

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/mario-williams/x_aXy3ZhEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/baseball/stats.htm

1 minute ago, Nope said:

If these stats are correct, they don’t really suggest that he’s a D1-level baseball talent 

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/mario-williams/x_aXy3ZhEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/baseball/stats.htm

Regardless, he was on the OU baseball team and 9.95ers are saying baseball is involved, so clearly he wants to play it.

4 minutes ago, Nope said:

Shit, I put up better numbers than that and my options were limited to NAIA/JUCO's in BFE.  Then again, Mario probably had a slight edge on athletic projectability... 

6 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Shit, I put up better numbers than that and my options were limited to NAIA/JUCO's in BFE.  Then again, Mario probably had a slight edge on athletic projectability... 

Those aren't even JUCO worthy numbers. My numbers were way better than that in HS on a team that made it to the state tournament twice and I didn't even get a sniff from a school.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Have there been any 9.95er reports on Billingsley from any school? We obviously make a ton of sense and we're all assuming we'll be the choice, but I haven't actually seen any reports either way

Haven't you noticed in this thread....every portal entry is coming here.....until they don't.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Have there been any 9.95er reports on Billingsley from any school? We obviously make a ton of sense and we're all assuming we'll be the choice, but I haven't actually seen any reports either way

Are we asking why Billingsley would want to play under the guy who featured him in his offense?

11 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Are we asking why Billingsley would want to play under the guy who featured him in his offense?

No like I said, we make a ton of sense. I get that. I'm just wondering if there have been reports on what Billingsley himself is actually thinking/planning. 

30 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Those aren't even JUCO worthy numbers. My numbers were way better than that in HS on a team that made it to the state tournament twice and I didn't even get a sniff from a school.

and you were most likely no where near the quality of athlete that Williams is.

• Haha 1

From TCU 247 / Jeremy Clark, in a thread on Ochuan Mathis.

Devolved into a general meltdown on program rot under Patterson.

image.thumb.png.75813341c0d5e27576270c2dc25a51a4.png

image.thumb.png.2731821da80255e8a379eb0c55bb4729.png

image.thumb.png.eea933508df6f3cb7848b29f6cfd93e3.png

Posters in the thread.  You know the definitive indication of poster angst is when you see a reference to "communist China."

image.thumb.png.dc91d8cfb43be1379cacee545537885a.png

image.thumb.png.1aed22e265b6a5ee2ba68c47feac0645.png

image.thumb.png.e8371bc37768f71b0b270038f2921f39.png

image.thumb.png.7480afd59c38046a0190eaade2807f31.png

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Posters in the thread.  You know the definitive indication of poster angst is when you see a reference to "communist China."

That last one is gold

• Shits on insider reporting
  • Blame the outgoing staff
  • cOmMuNiSt ChInA
  • Posit 'the way back to the top is not letting ourselves get all the way back to the bottom'

A poster with 10 YEARS of experience on the same board falling back into herpy derps is one of my favorite features of the offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

If he managed 13 sacks in 2 years without working out, maybe our problem is actually that we're working out too much?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

(So Mike does know what a low cal breakfast tastes like ... sheesh.)

(In the thread, someone brings up a supposed relationship PK had with Sanders, when he recruited Sanders to Washington.  So there's that.)

Breakfast Bites: Morning notes on transfer portal targets

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Breakfast Bites: Morning notes on transfer portal targets

Mike Roach

— I spoke to several sources last night and this morning regarding some transfer targets. If it seemed like Texas was holding back a bit after the initial portal wave, it sounds like they are opening up a bit in this current wave. From what I've been able to pick up, Texas has interest in all three transfers we mentioned last night (Drew Sanders, Ochaun Mathis and Jahleel Billingsley). They also currently have Mario Williams on campus. If you look at the way this class is playing out, they've pretty much reached the end of the high school recruiting ranks outside of a few remaining targets and are now dialing in on portal entries.

— I haven't been able to reach Billingsley or anyone close to him, but I do have a key source that indicated interest in the former Alabama tight end. I'd like to have a better idea what their competition is, but Texas has some advantages with Jeff Banks on board. Banks served as Billingsley's secondary recruiter during his high school recruitment and coached him at Alabama. Billingsley also had some early success in Steve Sarkisian's offense, though his career never totally took off. Texas has the right people in place and the need to sell to reel him in. The timing will be interesting for these guys as they'd obviously like to find a school quickly to get there for spring.

— There's also significant interest in former Denton Ryan five-star prospect Drew Sanders. There are some links there, but Sanders wasn't recruited by any current members of the staff. A source I spoke with feels this recruitment could move quickly as Sanders wants to find a home as soon as he can. It sounds like Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas are the schools most mentioned when I ask around. One source I spoke with felt Sanders could take a few quick visits on his own and wrap things up as soon as possible. Sanders wasn't much for the recruiting process the first time around and I don't see him dragging things out for the sake of enjoyment this time around.

— Ochaun Mathis isn't yet officially in the portal. Though he is expected to enter, we will have to wait until it's official to see if Texas engages. It would make sense as the Longhorns have been doing everything they can to fortify their edge rushers and add a more formidable front to the defense. Going into the winter, it sounded like cornerback and edge were the two most important positions on defense. I think Texas is done in the secondary unless a true gamechanger comes along in the portal and the focus moving forward will be on pass rushers and some offensive playmakers.

• Hook 'Em 1

EricNahlin

This should be a busy week with transfer movement. As a one-stop reference here's a list of guys we're currently tracking. We believe a couple more relevant names could be added; one wide receiver (at least) and and also an off-the-ball linebacker we're tracking to see if he elects to transfer from his current school.

We still don't expect the staff to pursue an offensive lineman.

Reminder, transfers are allowed to take official visits within 7 days of classes starting. Classes start at UT on the 17th so we're within than window.

WR Mario Williams, Oklahoma (2021 HS class): Originally from Tampa. Currently on an official visit to Texas. He's a clear priority target for the football staff with the baseball staff lending an (outfield) assist. USC is the favorite, however Texas is all in. Baseball matters to him, and he'd rather be closer to Florida.

TE Jahleel Billingsley, Alabama (2019 HS class): Originally from Chicago. Talented receiving tight end but he's spent a lot of time in Saban's doghouse. He had a very poor game on Monday. Sark and Jeff Banks will have all the info they need here and will know if he's worth the risk. It's possible UT would be seen as the best chance to repair his draft stock.

TE Michael Trigg, USC (2021 HS class): Originally from Tampa. We haven't heard anything regarding UT but he could fit what they're looking for. His step-brother is Mykel Williams, who was On3's No 4 prospect in the nation for the most recent class. He signed with Georgia, so Trigg might be heading that way as well.

EDGE Drew Sanders, Alabama (Buck) (2021 HS class): Originally from Denton. Originally committed to OU to play tight end but flipped to Bama late to play defense. He's an NFL talent at both positions. Despite modest stats at Bama, he's highly talented and would start at nearly every school in the country. As such, the market is going haywire. It's tough to get an accurate read on where UT currently stands, but we will say, Sanders entering the portal wasn't a surprise to IT. We'll see where he elects to visit in the coming days.

EDGE Ochaun Mathis, TCU (Jack, maybe Buck) (2018 HS class): Originally from Manor. Texas recruited him a little originally but he wasn't viewed as a great fit for the TITE front. Production dropped off significantly this past season despite playing two more games. Traits and ability are not in doubt and he'd fill a major need.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)