2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A shit ton of Katy ISD kids have been going to Arkansas as well. I don't really have an explanation for it. 

A few years back, a buddy of ours who is now affiliated with Bama sad that they basically were setting up recruiting offices/outposts in affluent suburbs in Texas to get all the rich kids who didn't get auto-accepted into Texas or aTm. Highland Park, The Woodlands, etc. Now, at this point, aTm has modified to become a diploma mill. But they were specifically recruiting OOS kids that couldn't make it into schools here and the parents who had the means to send them to school out of state, because that's where schools make a ton of money. Which is why like 20% of Iowa's enrollment base is chinese nationals (that's probably an exaggeration, but it's a seriously large percentage, you get my point). 

I imagine Arkansas and other schools happily followed that policy, again, particularly now that the SEC has such a large presence in Texas. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

A few years back, a buddy of ours who is now affiliated with Bama sad that they basically were setting up recruiting offices/outposts in affluent suburbs in Texas to get all the rich kids who didn't get auto-accepted into Texas or aTm. Now, at this point, aTm has modified to become a diploma mill. But they were specifically recruiting OOS kids that couldn't make it into schools here and the parents who had the means to send them to school out of state, because that's where schools make a ton of money. Which is why like 20% of Iowa's enrollment base is chinese nationals (that's probably an exaggeration, but it's a seriously large percentage, you get my point). 

I imagine Arkansas and other schools happily followed that policy, again, particularly now that the SEC has such a large presence in Texas. 

ole miss definitely fits in this category. 

4 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

With a daughter that attends Arkansas (no pics you heathens), I can vouch that like 50% of Arkansas students are from Texas - and it seems most of the ones we meet are from the frisco-mckinney-dallas triangle.

As mentioned Ole Miss was getting a lot of the HP kids that couldn't get into UT.  Bama was recruiting well too.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

ole miss definitely fits in this category. 

I'm sure that at this point, everyone except Vanderbilt and MAYBE Florida and Georgia are following the same model. Targeting zip codes and enrollment rolls with mailers for their university and just blasting kids and their families that starting in 8th grade. 

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure @RomaVicta will dutifully keep us updated on his career as he sets school records leading New Mexico/Colorado State/Eastern Washington/UTSA to new heights and a solid 8-4 record in the WAC. I can't wait to hear the gentle sobbing coming in through the monitor as he and others lament not giving the guy 3 seasons of patience to hit his "ceiling" at Texas. 

I'm sure you'll pat yourself on the back for being the hard-nosed cynic who just about can't post an argument without some pathetically insecure description of the person he addresses as a sniveling weakling. 

As often happens, your insult is inapt; I express nothing near the opinion your closing paragraph so brilliantly destroys. It's almost as devastating as our first engagement long ago when you accused me of being (gadzooks!) a reader of the New Yorker of all things. Imagine my acute shame at the truth that I read such an effeminizing periodical! 

spacer.png

I also subscribe to Atlantic.

Will my shame and suffering ever cease?

One might suspect you are projecting if you continue to deride the imagined emotional tenderness of others. Be kind to yourself, CTJ.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A shit ton of Katy ISD kids have been going to Arkansas as well. I don't really have an explanation for it. 

Arky give a % of in state tuition to TX grads starting @ 3.2GPA.  Get a 3.6 from a TXHS and you're looking at $11,250 for 30hrs, compared to $24,500 straight OOS.

Can't even count the number of friend's kids at UA right now.  

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A few years back, a buddy of ours who is now affiliated with Bama sad that they basically were setting up recruiting offices/outposts in affluent suburbs in Texas to get all the rich kids who didn't get auto-accepted into Texas or aTm. Highland Park, The Woodlands, etc. Now, at this point, aTm has modified to become a diploma mill. But they were specifically recruiting OOS kids that couldn't make it into schools here and the parents who had the means to send them to school out of state, because that's where schools make a ton of money. Which is why like 20% of Iowa's enrollment base is chinese nationals (that's probably an exaggeration, but it's a seriously large percentage, you get my point). 

They also offer in-state tuition rates to lots of these Texas kids

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sorry - that was a joke about the tweet the @DudeofWV posted saying that there was a 70% chance Dart was following Harrell to WVU and would be bringing USC recruits with him.

Gotcha. For what it’s worth, I think Dart and Trigg are Ole Miss bound. 

Just now, Mittens said:

Arky give a % of in state tuition to TX grads starting @ 3.2GPA.  Get a 3.6 from a TXHS and you're looking at $11,250 for 30hrs, compared to $24,500 straight OOS.

(Not about athletics just regular students) I have friends in The Woodlands whose kid is at Arkansas because of this.   I think the main problem the state of TX has is that after UT what schools are really that good to send your kids to compared to a state school like Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, etc…. Assuming your kid doesn’t want to go to College Station that leaves Tech?  Private schools like SMU, Baylor and TCU?  UH?  For such a large state the public colleges kind of suck after UT compared to say a California where the UC system seems to have great schools up and down the state.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Do Mathis and Sanders play different positions?

Sort of. They would both play edge in our base 2-4-5, but we have need at both strong and weak side so they’re not really taking the same spot. When we shift to a 3-3-5, Sanders would spin up to Sam linebacker, while Mathis would spin down to DE. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

(Not about athletics just regular students) I have friends in The Woodlands whose kid is at Arkansas because of this.   I think the main problem the state of TX has is that after UT what schools are really that good to send your kids to compared to a state school like Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, etc…. Assuming your kid doesn’t want to go to College Station that leaves Tech?  Private schools like SMU, Baylor and TCU?  UH?  For such a large state the public colleges kind of suck after UT compared to say a California where the UC system seems to have great schools up and down the state.

The Texas system is working hard to raise the quality and profile of degrees from UTSA and UTA. They're moving up pretty steadily but they wont be competing with the cache of a state named institution any time soon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Sucks for the parents visiting. Houston to Arkansas is a very shitty/long drive. 

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think the main problem the state of TX has is that after UT what schools are really that good to send your kids to compared to a state school like Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, etc…. Assuming your kid doesn’t want to go to College Station that leaves Tech?  Private schools like SMU, Baylor and TCU?  UH?  For such a large state the public colleges kind of suck after UT compared to say a California where the UC system seems to have great schools up and down the state.

Much of that is perception.  I know a lot of folks here don't want to admit anything good about any school other than UT or in the UT system, and your example of the UC system is certainly valid and correct.  But if you're just going off of Carnegie Tier 1, the state has come a long way:  

Spoiler

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2022/01/12/how-competition-for-top-research-university-status-transformed-texas/

How competition for top research university status transformed Texas
Texas now boasts more public Tier 1 research universities than any other state.

Texas is home to the most public Tier One universities in the nation, after the University of Texas at San Antonio’s recent recognition by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
Over the last 13 years, our Carnegie Tier Ones have increased from three to 11, the number of undergraduates receiving a first-class education has quadrupled from 81,000 to 316,000, and investment in highest-level research has doubled from $1.3 billion to $2.8 billion.

Understanding where we were, where we are now and how we got here is key to realizing our bright future.
At the start of 2009, Texas was not prepared to thrive in the knowledge economy. Businesses wanted top universities to fill high-paying jobs and generate marketable ideas, but our supply of skilled workers and innovations was insufficient. Texas had three Tier Ones, the same number as Indiana. North Texas was the nation’s most populous region without a Tier One. And four of our six largest cities lacked a top tier university to serve as a hub of innovation.

To add insult to injury, we trailed our biggest rivals: California had eight public and three private Tier Ones and New York City was powered by eight nearby Tier One research universities.
As 2022 begins, our Tier One landscape has improved dramatically. The University of Houston joined UT in Austin, Rice and Texas A&M as a Tier One in 2011, followed by Texas Tech, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington and University of North Texas in 2016, UT-El Paso in 2019, and Baylor University and UT-San Antonio in 2021.

This spring, these universities will teach more than 316,000 undergraduates and conduct more than $2.8 billion in research, four times and two times the 2009 levels, respectively. North Texas is now supported by three Tier Ones, and each of our six major cities has easy access to a Tier One.
This transformation has been a team effort in pursuit of a shared goal. In the 2009 Legislative Session, Texas passed House Bill 51 and established the Tier One Competition, which was designed to encourage eight emerging research universities to strive toward relevant, measurable and outcomes-based objectives on the road to Tier One status. House Bill 51 also created two funds, the Texas Research Incentive Program (TRIP) and National Research University Fund (NRUF), that promised additional resources as institutions reached major milestones on the journey to becoming national research universities.
Over the last 13 years, the Tier One Competition has made a billion-dollar impact. TRIP, a public-private matching fund, has used $394 million in state dollars to attract $838 million in private gifts. NRUF has distributed nearly $200 million to qualifying universities, even as the NRUF corpus has grown to $797 million.
More important, four emerging research universities have delivered on House Bill 51′s objectives to become Texas Tier Ones, to meet the state’s standards for sharing the research program funding. The University of Houston and Texas Tech became Texas Tier Ones and gained access to NRUF in 2012, followed by UT-Dallas in 2018 and UT-Arlington in 2021. Now, UT-San Antonio is likely to become a Texas Tier One this year.

The horizon is bright for even more Tier One universities. For example, Texas State launched a $250 million campaign last year aimed at achieving Tier One recognition, and Prairie View A&M achieved Carnegie’s second highest designation last month. Among private universities, Southern Methodist University has made impressive gains in recent years and is steadily closing in on Tier One status.
To achieve the vision of Texas becoming the preeminent state for students and research, Texas leaders should consider a pair of prudent investments.

First, state lawmakers should materially increase the size of NRUF distributions, which they can achieve without touching the fund’s principal. Since 2012, NRUF has averaged allocations of less than $20 million per year — less than the fund’s growth — even as the number of Tier Ones divvying up those dollars has quadrupled. Consequently, while the NRUF corpus has grown by $264 million over the last 13 years, each Texas Tier One received just $6 million last year.
Second, budget writers should honor our state’s commitment to generous Texans. Since 2017, a queue of IOUs has formed because officials have not appropriated enough funds to TRIP to keep up with private donations Clearing this backlog would invest $247 million in our state’s rising Tier Ones, encourage additional private giving and resharpen a tool that has had massive success in attracting private funds for our state’s emerging public research universities.
Tier One universities provide our students with an affordable, transformative education and attract and supercharge innovative businesses that help make Texas a global destination for corporate relocations and business expansions. As a result of the Tier One Competition, Texas has won great laurels. On them, we dare not rest.

The fact remains that there's a brain drain going on, at the 2nd tier level.  Students that should be going to Tech, UH, UNT, TXST, UTSA are headed to Arkansas, OId Miss, Auburn, etc.  Those states simply don't have the population to fill their flagships with smart enough kids, so they're poaching ours.

Edited by Mittens
  • Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

As mentioned Ole Miss was getting a lot of the HP kids that couldn't get into UT.  Bama was recruiting well too.

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sure that at this point, everyone except Vanderbilt and MAYBE Florida and Georgia are following the same model. Targeting zip codes and enrollment rolls with mailers for their university and just blasting kids and their families that starting in 8th grade. 

This is exactly what's happening. My sophomore daughter has Arkansas, along with several other SEC schools (my ex-FIL played baseball/basketball at Ole Miss in the late 60's and my ex went there as well), on her list because she likely won't be able to get in to Texas even though she'll be better prepared for it then I was in 1991. Tons of HP kids going to Arkansas and other SEC schools. I've heard Bama's academic reputation has actually gone up in the last decade following this model. Don't discount Camp Ozark outside Hot Springs as helping steer kids to Arkansas and other SEC schools -- lots of Dallas kids going to Ozark and making friends with kids from Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

Much of that is perception.  I know a lot of folks here don't want to admit anything good about any school other than UT or in the UT system, and your example of the UC system is certainly valid and correct.  But if you're just going off of Carnegie Tier 1, the state has come a long way:  

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2022/01/12/how-competition-for-top-research-university-status-transformed-texas/

Texas is home to the most public Tier One universities in the nation, after the University of Texas at San Antonio’s recent recognition by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
Over the last 13 years, our Carnegie Tier Ones have increased from three to 11, the number of undergraduates receiving a first-class education has quadrupled from 81,000 to 316,000, and investment in highest-level research has doubled from $1.3 billion to $2.8 billion.

Understanding where we were, where we are now and how we got here is key to realizing our bright future.
At the start of 2009, Texas was not prepared to thrive in the knowledge economy. Businesses wanted top universities to fill high-paying jobs and generate marketable ideas, but our supply of skilled workers and innovations was insufficient. Texas had three Tier Ones, the same number as Indiana. North Texas was the nation’s most populous region without a Tier One. And four of our six largest cities lacked a top tier university to serve as a hub of innovation.

To add insult to injury, we trailed our biggest rivals: California had eight public and three private Tier Ones and New York City was powered by eight nearby Tier One research universities.
As 2022 begins, our Tier One landscape has improved dramatically. The University of Houston joined UT in Austin, Rice and Texas A&M as a Tier One in 2011, followed by Texas Tech, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington and University of North Texas in 2016, UT-El Paso in 2019, and Baylor University and UT-San Antonio in 2021.

This spring, these universities will teach more than 316,000 undergraduates and conduct more than $2.8 billion in research, four times and two times the 2009 levels, respectively. North Texas is now supported by three Tier Ones, and each of our six major cities has easy access to a Tier One.
This transformation has been a team effort in pursuit of a shared goal. In the 2009 Legislative Session, Texas passed House Bill 51 and established the Tier One Competition, which was designed to encourage eight emerging research universities to strive toward relevant, measurable and outcomes-based objectives on the road to Tier One status. House Bill 51 also created two funds, the Texas Research Incentive Program (TRIP) and National Research University Fund (NRUF), that promised additional resources as institutions reached major milestones on the journey to becoming national research universities.
Over the last 13 years, the Tier One Competition has made a billion-dollar impact. TRIP, a public-private matching fund, has used $394 million in state dollars to attract $838 million in private gifts. NRUF has distributed nearly $200 million to qualifying universities, even as the NRUF corpus has grown to $797 million.
More important, four emerging research universities have delivered on House Bill 51′s objectives to become Texas Tier Ones, to meet the state’s standards for sharing the research program funding. The University of Houston and Texas Tech became Texas Tier Ones and gained access to NRUF in 2012, followed by UT-Dallas in 2018 and UT-Arlington in 2021. Now, UT-San Antonio is likely to become a Texas Tier One this year.

The horizon is bright for even more Tier One universities. For example, Texas State launched a $250 million campaign last year aimed at achieving Tier One recognition, and Prairie View A&M achieved Carnegie’s second highest designation last month. Among private universities, Southern Methodist University has made impressive gains in recent years and is steadily closing in on Tier One status.
To achieve the vision of Texas becoming the preeminent state for students and research, Texas leaders should consider a pair of prudent investments.

First, state lawmakers should materially increase the size of NRUF distributions, which they can achieve without touching the fund’s principal. Since 2012, NRUF has averaged allocations of less than $20 million per year — less than the fund’s growth — even as the number of Tier Ones divvying up those dollars has quadrupled. Consequently, while the NRUF corpus has grown by $264 million over the last 13 years, each Texas Tier One received just $6 million last year.
Second, budget writers should honor our state’s commitment to generous Texans. Since 2017, a queue of IOUs has formed because officials have not appropriated enough funds to TRIP to keep up with private donations Clearing this backlog would invest $247 million in our state’s rising Tier Ones, encourage additional private giving and resharpen a tool that has had massive success in attracting private funds for our state’s emerging public research universities.
Tier One universities provide our students with an affordable, transformative education and attract and supercharge innovative businesses that help make Texas a global destination for corporate relocations and business expansions. As a result of the Tier One Competition, Texas has won great laurels. On them, we dare not rest.

The fact remains that there's a brain drain going on, at the 2nd tier level.  Students that should be going to Tech, UH, UNT, TXST, UTSA are headed to Arkansas, OId Miss, Auburn, etc.  Those states simply don't have the population to fill their flagships with smart rough kids, so they're poaching ours.

I haven't looked closely at all the school rankings but my kid is about to start this process of picking a school in the next year.  The issue with Texas is, let's say he wants to go to Business school.  If he gets into UT but not their business school I am not sure going to business school at Tech, UTSA, Houston is as good as say getting into a business school at another state's major university (not just SEC schools but all over the country).  I also know it depends where you want to live after college as a Maryland degree may be better up in Maryland than say in TX.

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Glad I was a "smart kid." I enjoyed getting a daily mailbox full of recruiting flyers from Brown, Rennselaer, Boston U, and Occidental. I can't imagine getting junk mail from Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Texas A&M.

• Hook 'Em 6

I didn't get anything like a perfect score on the SATs and went to high school in New Jersey like 15 years ago, and Alabama still sent me a scholarship offer in the mail that included a free laptop, textbooks, and living expenses. A couple kids at my high school actually took them up on the offer - it was a great deal, especially for smart kids from more disadvantaged backgrounds.

29 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My daughter has decided to attend Alabama next year.  She has great grades but not good enough to get into Texas like her brother.  She doesn't want to go to A&M, Tech, UTSA etc. She was accepted to TCU and seriously considered it but Alabama wants her enough that they are giving her a $60k scholarship, accepted her into their honors college and into the program where she gets a bachelor and MBA in 5 years.  My sister in law who lives in the Frisco/Prosper area says a large chunk of those grads head east to the SEC schools and two of her kids went to Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 7

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sort of. They would both play edge in our base 2-4-5, but we have need at both strong and weak side so they’re not really taking the same spot. When we shift to a 3-3-5, Sanders would spin up to Sam linebacker, while Mathis would spin down to DE. 

Collins to the bench or inside?

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Texas system is working hard to raise the quality and profile of degrees from UTSA and UTA. They're moving up pretty steadily but they wont be competing with the cache of a state named institution any time soon. 

hope they can get it done asap kinda like University of California in which several of their branches at different cities are all pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Glad I was a "smart kid." I enjoyed getting a daily mailbox full of recruiting flyers from Brown, Rennselaer, Boston U, and Occidental. I can't imagine getting junk mail from Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Texas A&M.

I got those too. I didn't know Rennselaer, Boston U, and Occidental were good schools. I have a cousin who went to Boston U, otherwise I didn't know anything about those schools at the time and I still don't.

5 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

My daughter has decided to attend Alabama next year.  She has great grades but not good enough to get into Texas like her brother.  She doesn't want to go to A&M, Tech, UTSA etc. She was accepted to TCU and seriously considered it but Alabama wants her enough that they are giving her a $60k scholarship, accepted her into their honors college and into the program where she gets a bachelor and MBA in 5 years.  My sister in law who lives in the Frisco/Prosper area says a large chunk of those grads head east to the SEC schools and two of her kids went to Alabama.

I mean, that's a pretty fucking compelling pitch. I'd have to look hard at it as a parent if money was any sort of object at all. 

As a hiring manager, it won't be as easy to dismiss kids from these schools with decent seeming degrees if they interview well. On the other hand, I've seen zero evidence that LSU is doing anything to attract money or intellectually average people to go there, so the world isn't changing entirely on us...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The portal

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

hope they can get it done asap kinda like University of California in which several of their branches at different cities are all pretty good.

Man, this is probably a 20 year endeavor at best. They just cracked the top 300. And the cali system has a lot of support from state government. UT has to do this all on our own, and at the risk of the government doing their best to shut it down. I mean, we narrowly escaped being the aTm model diploma mill a few years ago. All it takes is a motivated aTm governor again and that heat returns. 

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Buddy of mine has a son in the Honors College at UF. He turned down 2 ivies for the full ride to UF. I think UF is a top 30 school now and in the top 5 of public universities. Getting in to UF is rough for in-state kids, and very difficult for out of state kids. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He needs to move inside. He’s 300 LBs. He shouldn’t be at edge/OLB full time. His best pass rush and TFL moves are beating guards with quickness on inside moves. He’s too slow turning the corner at edge. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The portal

That would suck because he has so much potential, but I can’t say it would be a shock based on how the past year has gone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

Buddy of mine has a son in the Honors College at UF. He turned down 2 ivies for the full ride to UF. I think UF is a top 30 school now and in the top 5 of public universities. Getting in to UF is rough for in-state kids, and very difficult for out of state kids. 

Yeah, that's why I said maybe. They're ranked higher than UT currently, and I just assumed they'd have had the same in-state admissions log-jam as Texas considering their size and population. not at all surprised. 

1 hour ago, morehornsepower said:

With a daughter that attends Arkansas (no pics you heathens), I can vouch that like 50% of Arkansas students are from Texas - and it seems most of the ones we meet are from the frisco-mckinney-dallas triangle.

nevermind GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He needs to move inside. He’s 300 LBs. He shouldn’t be at edge/OLB full time. His best pass rush and TFL moves are beating guards with quickness on inside moves. He’s too slow turning the corner at edge. 

That would suck because he has so much potential, but I can’t say it would be a shock based on how the past year has gone. 

Yeah, that is what I got from speaking with someone inside the program yesterday. He is a good athlete for his size but he isn't the type of athlete that can get to the QB playing end.

Most of these states have crap economies as well, so getting kids from high-mid to upper class suburbs in booming Texas helps them fill their coffers as well.

And I will say, you don't need a business degree from UT to work successfully in business or get a high-paying job out of school. UT does that for nearly any student that puts in the work regardless of major.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Reveal hidden contents

The fact remains that there's a brain drain going on, at the 2nd tier level.  Students that should be going to Tech, UH, UNT, TXST, UTSA are headed to Arkansas, OId Miss, Auburn, etc.  Those states simply don't have the population to fill their flagships with smart enough kids, so they're poaching ours.

This is where having kids in Texas that enjoy sports, especially football, hurts.  Most 2nd tier can go to UTSA for a year and transfer into Texas, but they want to have the 4 year college experience with big time sports. if they don't want to go to BCS or Lubbock and private isn't feasible they start looking at Arizona/AZ state, SEC schools.  Some of the small college towns are fairly attractive and specifically Fayetteville being in the NW Ark area with Walmart and a few other large corporations is pretty decent.

no one looks at New Mexico or Oklahoma/OK state that much. 

My guess is most of these folks come back to Texas to work but you never know.  I can see AZ/AZ state kids staying in Phoenix area.

27 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

The problem in Texas is infighting between the systems. Damn near everyone agrees that Texas needs more top-tier public universities. But no one can agree on which ones those should be. It's not as simple as the UT system saying "ok we're going to pump up UTD, UTA, and UTSA", because you have aggy, Tech, UH, etc all pitching a fit and trying to throw a wrench in the works. It also takes a lot of commitment, patience, and especially money devoted to higher education. No CR, but those aren't really top priorities for the state government.

I think one of the biggest factors in why all these kids from Texas suburbs go to SEC diploma mills is because they offer much more of a traditional college "experience" than most of the in-state schools. And yes, sports is definitely a part of that. The UT system schools and UH are fine academically if you're comparing them to fucking Ole Miss, but they're commuter schools. Tech offers a traditional college experience, but it's roughly the same distance from Houston as Fayetteville and Oxford, MS.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not that weird, imo. aTm let the SEC into Texas, and then aTm started playing a yearly game at JerryWorld with Arkansas. Big 12 starts sucking shit, and guess what Arkansas going to start getting some slices. I'm sure there are also a decent amount of Arkansas grads in DFW. Wal-mart can only employ about 50-65% of the "college" graduates from that state, so where else are they going to go?

What if I told you his evidence is likely the confidence coming from the staff thinking they nailed it? That or it's Kelvin Banks's coach. 

DFW is littered with high school teachers and coaches who graduated from Arkie.  Mansfield and Arlington in particular, and they are not shy about steering athletes to their alma mater.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)