2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

15 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike at Night: Where things currently stand with transfer targets

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike at Night: Where things currently stand with transfer targets

Mike Roach

— I checked in on transfer wide receiver Mario Williams and his visit to Texas today. I was told the initial read on the trip for the Oklahoma transfer prospect is that Texas gave him a lot to think about. They play with an offense conducive to his skill, they have an immediate need at the position and they have a prestigious baseball program which is important to the two-sport star. It seems a little too early to know what he's thinking, but there's still a feeling that USC has the links to be the heavy favorite. Can the baseball program and relative proximity to his hometown in south Florida compared to USC overcome the fit in an offense he already knows with coaches he's familiar with? It would be huge if Texas could pull that off.

— We still expect Drew Sanders to make it to Austin tomorrow for a visit. The former Denton Ryan five-star already saw Arkansas and Oklahoma, and Texas will get the last shot to make a big impression. Those we spoke with near Sanders told us he's pretty open, but the confidence is strongest coming out of Norman for him at the moment. In talking to sources around the country, they didn't see Texas as a major contender, but that's not what we've heard from those near Sanders himself. I'd expect this to move pretty quickly following his trip to Austin. It wouldn't be out of the question for him to shut it down before seeing Texas but that's not what we expect based on those we've spoken with.

— Ochaun Mathis is going to take things slowly for now as he plans to finish out his spring semester at TCU before enrolling in June. Because of that, Mathis can take his time and really evaluate the programs recruiting him. I still really like where Texas stands, especially with the anticipated addition of Gary Patterson.

— I haven't been able to find much of anything on Jahleel Billingsley. I know Texas is interested in him, but there hasn't been a lot of information from his side and we are still working on sourcing away from Austin. I continue to believe Texas would be the best fit for him because of the familiarity with the staff, but I don't have a lot to go on that's concrete right now.

— There are a lot of former Texas high school football players in the portal right now. I know that to most that signifies a link, but I haven't heard a lot on the transfer front aside from guys we've mentioned heavily. LSU cornerback Dwight McGlothern went into the portal earlier this week, and the former Houston-area defender would love to stay home from what I'm told. I think the numbers are pretty tight there and I don't expect the Longhorns to get involved at that position. I'm also not sure if an inside linebacker transfer would. bea take right now. As I've said, the focus is on wide receiver and edge rusher at the moment.

Unfortunate that Mathis is waiting a semester and taking his time to decide. We really can't afford to blow that one.

Still interesting to me that there's been zero insight on Billingsley from any school's 9.95ers

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't see how we don't take two guys at WR. We simply can't go into next season without the ability to have a two deep with four wides. Dixon hasn't exactly inspired confidence either. Brenan Thompson is very exciting, and Red can be Whittington lite, but for them to have to be that next year may not be ideal. 

It would be a firing offense to not pick up a few seasoned WRs in the portal, and I'm generally on the give-him-a-few-years train. Dixon seemed to get some confidence / action the last few games  -- hoping that was a trend. 

13 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

It would be a firing offense to not pick up a few seasoned WRs in the portal, and I'm generally on the give-him-a-few-years train. Dixon seemed to get some confidence / action the last few games  -- hoping that was a trend. 

They're not taking three WR's from the portal.  One of Sark's first complaints was that this team had too many WR's on scholarship.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

They're not taking three WR's from the portal.  One of Sark's first complaints was that this team had too many WR's on scholarship.

We only have 7 now with 2 coming in. Of those 7, you have maybe 3-4 you can actually put on the field. I doubt Sark is still whining about the WR #'s

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone commented after that that another site is saying he's staying through tomorrow with his parents.

Don't even care who said it. I'll take randomass 247 poster's word over ear->street's

Edited by Bevo14

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

doesn't apply anymore. we've only got 6 scholarship WRs, three of which have significant injury history and cannot be depended upon.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think you missed reading between the lines...  We had too many WRs that were slow, couldn't catch, or couldn't get healthy.

We still have some of that.

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In my opinion, it doesn't say good things about your program when starters and star players leave.  They've experienced the best of what you have to offer.

Or maybe he's just trying to get Oregon to up the annie (sic).

Well their head coach left, soooo...

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

There may not be a more punchable face in all of college football. Every time I see it, my hands instinctively tighten into fists and I have an urge to punch my computer monitor. 

He looks like the even extra chode version of Peggy Hill. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In my opinion, it doesn't say good things about your program when starters and star players leave.  They've experienced the best of what you have to offer.

Odd recruitment or I'm just not seeing the normal page with all the offers and visits.

image.png.bd3fc72899e50a22da57eda5dd08e27a.png

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

SIAP.

(One consolation - after losing Corral, Drummond, Sanders and Ealy, if Kiffin lands Dart/Trigg/Evans(done)/Neyor, it'll make for interesting games vs. the aggies.)

image.thumb.png.7aea044ace1369f471fa02924faf0c81.png

Lol. I'm sure Texas, after thinking he was a done deal, stopped communicating completely upon seeing a tweet. Meanwhile, Freshwater just keeps working. 

34 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

He started the year as the backup to CJ Verdell and became the starter when Verdell got injured.  I thought he would go pro after last season.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not to fully interrupt the hard-ons you guys get over howling about some jock not getting a vaccine or anything, but the NCAA changed their rules this week to allow for prior corona infection within the last 90 days to cover the same requirements of vaccines for eligibility. At least for winter sports. Shockingly, they’ve actually made a good decision on something. I’m sure it will carry over to the football season too. 

So seems like Hudson Card is triple jabbed too.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I don't see how we don't take two guys at WR. We simply can't go into next season without the ability to have a two deep with four wides. Dixon hasn't exactly inspired confidence either. Brenan Thompson is very exciting, and Red can be Whittington lite, but for them to have to be that next year may not be ideal. 

You scratched out Dajon Harrison - when did he depart the program?  Last I heard he is still on the roster, but maybe I missed an announcement.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. Odds are that Nick Saban doesn't give a single solitary personal shit about someone's vaccine status but Billingsley pissed him off because it affected the team. If the NCAA is going to have a rule that you have to be constantly tested if you're unvaccinated but not if you're vaccinated then it helps the team to be vaccinated. That's all there is to it.

He didn't give a shit about his vax status.  He gave a shit that Billingsley was being a bitchass at practice and didn't give a shit about blocking. 

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. I'm sure Texas, after thinking he was a done deal, stopped communicating completely upon seeing a tweet. Meanwhile, Freshwater just keeps working. 

Idk, to be fair they didn't stop recruiting high school guys like Banks or Brooks after they committed (even if it took some luck to be successful)

Also, for the record, this is another Hooks trainee

6 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

He didn't give a shit about his vax status.  He gave a shit that Billingsley was being a bitchass at practice and didn't give a shit about blocking. 

There can be a healthy debate about who has the best football program culture right now between Clemson, Ohio St. Alabama and Georgia but there is no debate Texas right now is far off from Alabama. This guy couldn’t get his shit together at Alabama and take football seriously. Unlike Sanders who is just stuck behind two first round draft picks this guy lost his job because of his lack of commitment to football. I’m not thinking coming to Austin will make that any better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Newy25 said:

There can be a healthy debate about who has the best football program culture right now between Clemson, Ohio St. Alabama and Georgia but there is no debate Texas right now is far off from Alabama. This guy couldn’t get his shit together at Alabama and take football seriously. Unlike Sanders who is just stuck behind two first round draft picks this guy lost his job because of his lack of commitment to football. I’m not thinking coming to Austin will make that any better. 

Generally agree but the one major counterpoint is that Jeff Banks was able to get him bought in at Bama and would be coaching him again here. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to why one person connects better with another, but it's real. 

18 minutes ago, Shonen said:

You scratched out Dajon Harrison - when did he depart the program?  Last I heard he is still on the roster, but maybe I missed an announcement.

He is still on the roster.  He's one of those players like Myron Hardy that  I saw play in High School, thought was electric, couldn't wait to see play at Texas, and has not done what I was positive he could do just from watching him play in high school. I don't think he's got elite top-end speed but he's very quick.  I know he took a Covid year in 2020.  He was a 3-star player because (I think) he was a bit light and they weren't sure he could add weight. But Hutto was really good that year and he was a big part of their offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Uncle Devon:  For us it’s all about the degree."

Five-star OL Devon Campbell has all the info he needs to decide
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

STEVE WILTFONG

According to his uncle, Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell has all the information he needs to make his college decision on Feb. 2 and National Signing Day. Texas and Oklahoma are the finalists.

The Longhorns are the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite.

“There will be no home visits, he will not take a fifth official visit, none of that,” the elder Campbell also named Devon said. “He’s got enough information and had enough interactions to make an informed decision.

“It’s still playing the T-Chart game and weighing the pros and cons. I think he’s getting close to a decision.”

The No. 1 interior offensive lineman in the 2022 class, Campbell has been to Austin and Norman several times.

“They’re both great programs, both great schools,” Campbell said. “His mother, his father, myself will be glad either way. For us it’s all about the degree. His football success is going to be a byproduct of his education. Thats the main thing for us, leaving that school with a degree that’s the key and hopefully get a masters degree that’s the real key.

“(Oklahoma and Texas) they’ve been in the picture from the beginning and they’ve been preaching the same story and giving the same spiel. Even though they’ve changed coaching staffs they have the same philosophy. They both have great reputations, but it’s about fit and feel and these are the two he feels he can feel good about going there and playing there the next few years of his life.”

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I agree.  I wouldn't bring him in either.  If he wasn't committed there then he won't flourish here.  I was just calling out the idiocy that he was in Saban's doghouse because he wasn't vaccinated. 

8 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

He is still on the roster.  He's one of those players like Myron Hardy that  I saw play in High School, thought was electric, couldn't wait to see play at Texas, and has not done what I was positive he could do just from watching him play in high school. I don't think he's got elite top-end speed but he's very quick.  I know he took a Covid year in 2020.  He was a 3-star player because (I think) he was a bit light and they weren't sure he could add weight. But Hutto was really good that year and he was a big part of their offense.

I think it's been hinted at that he's a stoner with a middling work ethic for high level football.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

"Uncle Devon:  For us it’s all about the degree."

STEVE WILTFONG

Reveal hidden contents

STEVE WILTFONG

According to his uncle, Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell has all the information he needs to make his college decision on Feb. 2 and National Signing Day. Texas and Oklahoma are the finalists.

The Longhorns are the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite.

“There will be no home visits, he will not take a fifth official visit, none of that,” the elder Campbell also named Devon said. “He’s got enough information and had enough interactions to make an informed decision.

“It’s still playing the T-Chart game and weighing the pros and cons. I think he’s getting close to a decision.”

The No. 1 interior offensive lineman in the 2022 class, Campbell has been to Austin and Norman several times.

“They’re both great programs, both great schools,” Campbell said. “His mother, his father, myself will be glad either way. For us it’s all about the degree. His football success is going to be a byproduct of his education. Thats the main thing for us, leaving that school with a degree that’s the key and hopefully get a masters degree that’s the real key.

“(Oklahoma and Texas) they’ve been in the picture from the beginning and they’ve been preaching the same story and giving the same spiel. Even though they’ve changed coaching staffs they have the same philosophy. They both have great reputations, but it’s about fit and feel and these are the two he feels he can feel good about going there and playing there the next few years of his life.”

That's a very un-uncle thing to say. 

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)